Stryker and Sidekick lunar VTOL craft

The Stryker is an interplanetary craft with and on-board ISRU making it basically an infinite range spacecraft with VTOL landing capabilities on most planets and moons.  This video simply shows a quick test flight out to the mun and back home.

Download the Stryker craft file HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zolgpwpssorfit/Stryker.craft?dl=0

Hot Keys:
1) Toggles main engines
2) Toggles landing engines
3) Deploys solar panels and drills
4) Starts planetary mining operations
5) Stops mining operations and retracts drills/panels

The Sidekick is also capable of VTOL lunar landings, however lacks the ability to refuel on it's own and needs to rely on other ships/mines for that.

Download the SIDEKICK craft HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuvezkq3xgoprjt/SideKick.craft?dl=0

Hot Keys:
1) Toggles main engines
2) Toggles landing engines

VTOL craft are difficult to fly, but a few tricks make it much easier.  First select a top facing controller or docking port to control your craft, and use the auto-retrograde marker so that the craft's downward thrust will be used to automatically slow it's descent.  Then right-click on the front landing engine and use the throttle setting to select the proper thrust to keep the craft level.  

Happy landings!

Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

13 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

VTOL craft are difficult to fly, but a few tricks make it much easier.  First select a top facing controller or docking port to control your craft, and use the auto-retrograde marker so that the craft's downward thrust will be used to automatically slow it's descent.  Then right-click on the front landing engine and use the throttle setting to select the proper thrust to keep the craft level.  

Happy landings!

Jett

The problem I run into when I control from the top-facing port is that the roll directions get switched - does this happen to you? 

4 hours ago, Lunar Sea said:

The problem I run into when I control from the top-facing port is that the roll directions get switched - does this happen to you? 

Yes, the direction keys get a little messed up when switching from front view to top view.  To reduce this as much as possible, double\-check that the orientation of the top port is right.  It's natural to go from facing forward to facing upward by tilting your chin up - that means when you orient the top controller the bottom of the device needs to be facing the front of the craft.  It works more naturally that way.  It works more naturally that way.  You also have to practice landing, because the Q&E keys and the A&D keys get switched around, bur there's no way around that.

That's why I built the Sidekick, it has all the characteristics of my larger craft but it's small and easily maneuverable so you can get used to doing the VTOL style landings.  I would recommend starting out om Minmus. 

Jett

3 minutes ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Edited by Jett_Quasar

23 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

@Jett_Quasar, if you can get the Stryker into orbit via a plane, why not do the same with the Sidekick? It's more logical and economic.

Simply put, I just like to make all my craft unique.  Actually anybody can put anything (within reason) into orbit with the fly-back booster.  In the SPH just grab it by the radial decoupler and save it as a subassembly.  When you build your craft grab the subassemply and attach it to the underside ouf your ship.  Be sure to strap it on tightly, and check the thrust balance, but it will work.

Actually I've built another version of the flyback booster with a cargo bay in it, and i'm going to do a reusable mun mission with it.

No automatic alt text available.

Jett

1 hour ago, PointySideUp said:

Great to have you back submitting crafts @Jett_Quasar!

Thanks dude!  I had to take a break from the game for a while but I'm back with a vengeance - especially with the new movie being out.  I'm getting quite the collection of Star Wars stuff and your two speeders are front and center.  I was actually thinking about that craft you built from The Force Awakens - Princess Leah's vessel I believe.  Can you send me a copy of that?

Jett

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.