do you use stayputnik?

omelaw

You can do it pretty easily, and even get to orbit with some practice and initial tilt on the pad (basically just let the rocket fly itself), but I don't see a reason personally. I do find it funny that the first probe core a new player is offered in science/career mode has no control.

Edited by regex

The Stayputnik has 2 problems (other than no SAS, which I'm fine with, really. A probe core SHOULD sit in that role IMO). It's not the cheapest (It's tied with the RoveMate) nor is it the lightest (That goes to the only probe core I use regularly, the Okto-2).

If it had half the mass of the Okto-2, I'd be more apt to consider it. If it had an upper connection node but remained its (at least slightly) aerodynamic shape, then all the better.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Removed the cost argument. I never consider cost when building.

I use it for throwaway probes that I want to be able to switch to.  When I get those "measure X on the surface" contracts, I'll make a science bomber with payloads that consist of a stayputnik, some batteries, some experiments, a parachute and an antenna.  Set a decoupler and the parachute in the same staging group and drop them over the site.  

Otherwise, I don't generally use it for anything flight essential.  There are lighter, cheaper and better probe cores for that.

Moderately related to this topic, I wish you could pick a probe core and it had X slots in it, and each slot could take a "thing" and each "thing" would have its own cost and mass.

SAS would be a "thing," as would level 1, 2, or 3 piloting. Reaction wheels would be a "thing," and the ability to biome scan (a new addition I like but want in more probe cores) would be another "thing". Other potential "things" could be ability to transfer science and a holding area for science data.

The huge probe cores would have more slots than there are things to put in them, to accommodate future changes to the game. The Stayputnik would have 1. Or 0 maybe. Each core would then have a mass and cost based on its size and number of slots.

Oh and the QBE should be surface mountable.

As the namesake implies, Stayputnik makes very decent permanent ground stations for "Science from..." contracts. I believe it has the lowest power requirements of all, which is a bonus with small batteries and panels.

Gl52sFs.png

It's also fully tweakscaleable and allows surface attachment. This makes it a very unique structural component.

emFFfzW.jpg

Also, tell me, where would the electro-prop stock planes be without Stayputnik today? Cobbling bearings out of dozens of airplane wheels?

Edited by Sharpy

I generally use the Stayputnik once, maybe twice. It's really only useful for a mission before you can get basically any other probe core.

- No SAS

- No reaction wheels

- Hard to attach things

It is useful for reminding me how difficult flying manually without reaction wheels is, though.

Edited by RocketBlam

Not since it lost its SAS. Easier to send a command pod.

That said, with comnet, I might be inclined to make some that detach from a kermanned launcher vessel that then returns home. Literally a stayputnik, battery, solar panel and an antenna or two, with no propulsion. Ultra-barebones satellite :) 

I've used the stayputnik early in previous careers, but didn't need to use it at all in 1.2.2. I don't know if it's due to the reshuffling of the tech tree or a difference in my strategy, but by the time I was ready to send up a probe, I had already unlocked the HECS.

Best,
-Slashy

I use it all the time!

But not for flight, but as a base for subassembly design, editing and reviewing.

I add it as a core part first, then design or edit subassembly.

Hi.

I just started playing KSP this weekend - bye bye outside world ;-)

I've been using Stayputnik to learn to fly both spaceships and aircraft - it makes switching to a human Kerban pilot quite easy, although I haven't used it since I got the Okto, and used it even less since I discovered the revert button.

Its a shame KSP doesn't take the issue of testing-to-prevent-death more seriously as it seems that using the revert button is the design intent of the game. Mind you it was a while before I realised you can put a stayputnik ON a command capsule, although not on a plane cockpit.

Edited by Acolyte

1 hour ago, Acolyte said:

Its a shame KSP doesn't take the issue of testing-to-prevent-death more seriously as it seems that using the revert button is the design intent of the game. Mind you it was a while before I realised you can put a stayputnik ON a command capsule, although not on a plane cockpit.

Some here would argue that killing Kerbals is an integral part of the game and an accepted risk factor in "testing" designs. :)

"Many Kerbals died to bring us this rocket design."

I use the Stayputnik quite infrequently, but there are times when it is nice to have. I've used it on Sputnik mimics mainly, and I'm also considering making some landers with it for planets with thick atmospheres, since non-propulsive landers don't always need stability control. I'll probably end up using it mostly for suicide probes to drop into the atmospheres of various gas planets.

Sometimes i use a Stayputnik in my engineless local communication satellites. The sattelite is just a Stayputnik, a relay antenna, a small battery, 2 OX4-L solar panels and, of course, a decoupler. There is no need for engines because the sattelite doesnt have a planned orbit: When any interplanetary mission happens, i put 1 or 2 of these onboard. I release them any moment when the eccentricity is <1 (so, it will stay in orbit)..... But i think to abandon that method in favor to this one! Much more effective way to create a comm network!

https://gfycat.com/WhoppingZealousDrake

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's not the cheapest (It's tied with the RoveMate) nor is it the lightest (That goes to the only probe core I use regularly, the Okto-2).

Despite all the uses people here on this topic gave to use it, to me it's still this problem. I don't care that much for SAS, but because of this I find it is just junk on my techtree :( (which is a shame because I find it pretty)

3 hours ago, Acolyte said:

It can be done. :) 

S2hsDQ9.jpg

32 minutes ago, monstah said:

Despite all the uses people here on this topic gave to use it, to me it's still this problem. I don't care that much for SAS, but because of this I find it is just junk on my techtree :( (which is a shame because I find it pretty)

Is the problem with the part though? Or is the problem with the tech tree?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.