[1.2.2] Settings Still Breaks Fairings

KSP Version: v1.2.2.1622 Windows 64-bit, fresh install from Steam

What Happens: You use the Settings menu "in flight" (landed, whatever) with a craft using a fairing.  When you click Apply or Accept, the fairing disappears.  Hitting "cancel" on the settings window returns you to the game with the fairing in tact.

Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock

Steps to Replicate:

1) Place any root part in the VAB, then put any fairing around it. Any size will have the problem.

2) Launch craft.

3) On the launchpad, hit Esc to bring up the menu, then click Settings.

4) Without changing any setting, click "Accept".  (Or alternatively "Apply", same outcome)

5) Press "Resume Flight"

Result: Fairing with visually disappear, though the option to deploy is still available as well as the option to stage it.

Fixes/Workarounds:

- N/A

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files:

- This was listed as fixed in the patch notes for 1.2.2 but does not appear to be fixed for me.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/11520

Any of you guys seeing this too?

Edited by klesh

No I can't see this issue with KSP 1.2.2 (build 1622, Windows x64); not with the release from Steam, neither with the release from KSP Store. Doing exactly the steps as you posted, or any other tests with other possible fairings configurations and mini settings, never encountered the issue described in 1.2.2. I also am truly sure about this issue existing in KSP 1.2.1, tested and is there, so my steps to replicate have to be considered correct.

Did you check you actually have KSP 1.2.2. correctly downloaded? Please verify local cache integrity with Steam, it often "forgets" to update one or more files, so you may have a bugged install.

Also, what are your graphical settings, GPU and drivers? I'm suspecting there is some reason fairings aren't displayed though still being there, that could be tied to graphics instead of being a game bug.

If you still see this issue after having checked your install is correct, please provide output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data and settings.cfg from the KSP root, hope they shows something to help diagnose what is happening.

7 hours ago, diomedea said:

No I can't see this issue with KSP 1.2.2 (build 1622, Windows x64); not with the release from Steam, neither with the release from KSP Store. Doing exactly the steps as you posted, or any other tests with other possible fairings configurations and mini settings, never encountered the issue described in 1.2.2. I also am truly sure about this issue existing in KSP 1.2.1, tested and is there, so my steps to replicate have to be considered correct.

I remembered seeing the bug report for it previously, and trying it and seeing that it did used to delete the fairing in 1.2.1.  I was going about a quick test flight with the stock GLDV or whatever its called and checking some settings when I stumbled upon it.  

Did you check you actually have KSP 1.2.2. correctly downloaded? Please verify local cache integrity with Steam, it often "forgets" to update one or more files, so you may have a bugged install.

I installed it and immediately played, I got the version number from the corner of the pause menu.  I deleted and reinstalled a couple times after I noticed it, but I'll verify integrity of cache when I get home, indeed perhaps a wonky install.  I know I neglected to verify cache integrity when I was doing clean installs.

Also, what are your graphical settings, GPU and drivers? I'm suspecting there is some reason fairings aren't displayed though still being there, that could be tied to graphics instead of being a game bug.

I'll have to get that at home.  From memory, a GTX970 with the latest drivers.  Graphics settings were full res textures, but I think I am overriding the game's AA with nVidia's AA from the control panel.  

If you still see this issue after having checked your install is correct, please provide output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data and settings.cfg from the KSP root, hope they shows something to help diagnose what is happening.

Word!  Thanks for you help, mang.  I'm glad its something on my end and not with the game itself.

Edited by klesh

Okay, here are the results of some fiddling:

Verified game cache through steam, 2 files missing.  They auto acquire. Ran it, still had the fairing issue.

Deleted installation, deleted KSP folder.  Re-install.  Verify game cache before starting game.  All files okay.

Start the game, set screen resolution, texture resolution, fullscreen etc.  New sandbox game called "test".  Straight to VAB, open the GDLV3 ship, launch. Settings game still results in fairing issue.

So here is some more information:

GeForce Game Ready Driver

Versions 376.33  Release Date: 12/13/16

Checking for Updates says it is up to date.

Here is output_log.txt from KSP_x64_Data:  http://pastebin.com/cb5MZZuj

Here is settings.cfg from the KSP root:  http://pastebin.com/XYRAn4DW

After all that, I closed the game and deleted the Nvidia control panel presets for when I run ksp64.exe, such that the game's AA settings etc are used instead of being overridden.   Still have the same fairing issue. 

Hi Sal, thanks for the help.  To be honest I don't know the answer to your question.  How would I find out?

Oh wait, you mean like special launch perameters.  Just checked.  No, I am not; no special launch instructions.

Edited by klesh

1 minute ago, klesh said:

Hi Sal, thanks for the help.  To be honest I don't know the answer to your question.  How would I find out?

If you've set a custom launch option in Steam, or use a shortcut to KSP, you might have added -force-opengl, -force-glcore or -force-dx11 in the past and forgot, though it's unlikely.

Another possibility is you have an old install that you updated and the fairings are the old versions, or an old settings file, though I can't think how it could be the settings file it's worth ruling it out by renaming it so KSP generates a new one.

There's something incorrect with Edge Highlighting, your output_log shows a number of "HighlightingSystem : Edge Highlighting requires AA to work!" messages.

Sure you have the Part Highlighter Enabled in Flight, while your AA shows to be set at 1. On my side, I have the Part Highlighter on too, but AA is set = 2 and no such messages show.

Can't be totally sure this is the cause, but the Highlighter has caused a number of issues already, and you may still be having one with specific settings that weren't checked. So, my advice is to test with either Part Highlighter disabled, and/or AA set to something else than 1. Hopefully you'll find no more those messages in the log, and if that was really the cause, you should also have fairings still visible.

14 minutes ago, diomedea said:

There's something incorrect with Edge Highlighting, your output_log shows a number of "HighlightingSystem : Edge Highlighting requires AA to work!" messages.

Sure you have the Part Highlighter Enabled in Flight, while your AA shows to be set at 1. On my side, I have the Part Highlighter on too, but AA is set = 2 and no such messages show.

Can't be totally sure this is the cause, but the Highlighter has caused a number of issues already, and you may still be having one with specific settings that weren't checked. So, my advice is to test with either Part Highlighter disabled, and/or AA set to something else than 1. Hopefully you'll find no more those messages in the log, and if that was really the cause, you should also have fairings still visible.

Oooh, look at you.  Someone is a smart cookie!

Yes, since I was running AA outside of the game from the Nvidia Control Panel, I had it turned off in the in-game settings. But part highlighting was turned on.

Turned part highlighter off (while AA was off) and tried, same fairing issue.

Keeping part highlighter off, and put AA to 2 on the ingame settings results in the fairing actually staying as intended!

Turning part highlighter back on, AA still on 2, fairing stays.   

While in the same settings menu without closing it, I can turn part highlighter on and off while AA is on and the fairing stays.

If I turn AA to off with the ingame settings, regardless of the part highlighter setting, the fairing will disappear.

Can you guys re-run the test with the in-game AA turned off and see if it happens?

24 minutes ago, klesh said:

Can you guys re-run the test with the in-game AA turned off and see if it happens?

I'll do to complete this test, later as I haven't time just now.

Many thanks for all those tests you did, that was some very valuable help to let us know what happens with those settings :).

EDIT: test done, confirmed AA must not be off or fairings will disappear when accepting mini settings.

19 minutes ago, klesh said:

On Linux.... no change, the fairing is still there.

Using Windows KSP in Wine... fairing disappeared...

Wine does reproduce Windows bugs to make Windows software run on Linux after all :wink:

So it's DirectX only? What happens when you use -force-d3d11 or -force-glcore ?

22 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

On Linux.... no change, the fairing is still there.

Using Windows KSP in Wine... fairing disappeared...

Wine does reproduce Windows bugs to make Windows software run on Linux after all :wink:

So it's DirectX only? What happens when you use -force-d3d11 or -force-glcore ?

Oh goodie, so I am not crazy!  Well, maybe not. :wink:

I'm off to hang out with some peeps.  I'll be able to fiddle more in a few hours.

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

What happens when you use -force-d3d11 or -force-glcore ?

Running either of those as launch options resulted in what you would expect as normal behaviour.  Regardless of AA or Part Highlighting, the fairing stays.

I then cleared the launch options, and re-ran the tests again and found the original results.  AA off will see the fairings disappear.

I'm using Windows 10 Home, version 1607, OS build 14393.693

8 hours ago, klesh said:

Running either of those as launch options resulted in what you would expect as normal behaviour.  Regardless of AA or Part Highlighting, the fairing stays.

I then cleared the launch options, and re-ran the tests again and found the original results.  AA off will see the fairings disappear.

I'm using Windows 10 Home, version 1607, OS build 14393.693

Okay, on Windows the Unity engines default renderer is DirectX9, it's built into most Windows versions and can't really be changed.

If you could please report this on the tracker the devs could try to figure out what's so special about the pause menu apply button (accept also applies).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.