KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Thermal Genrator still upgrades with Advanded Nuclear Reactors. Thanks for reminding me to fix and make it dependent on advanced Electrical Tech nodes

I'm quite sure I have every fission tech node unlocked in ETT, but I'm still getting low efficiency?  I also have the node that is supposed to unlock the upgrade in electrical.

Where can I look in the EngTechTree.cfg file that is in the ETT folder to see where this upgrade unlocks? or is it hardcoded in KSPI-E and not in a cfg?

14 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

I'm quite sure I have every fission tech node unlocked in ETT, but I'm still getting low efficiency?  I also have the node that is supposed to unlock the upgrade in electrical.

Where can I look in the EngTechTree.cfg file that is in the ETT folder to see where this upgrade unlocks? or is it hardcoded in KSPI-E and not in a cfg?

It is part of the Thermal Generator config file and there is a ETT MM patch file which might modify it.

38 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It is part of the Thermal Generator config file and there is a ETT MM patch file which might modify it.

MODULE
{
	name = FNGenerator
	pCarnotEff = 0.32
	maxThermalPower = 15000
	upgradedpCarnotEff = 0.64
	upgradedName = KTEC Solid State Generator
	originalName = Brayton Cycle Gas Turbine
	upgradeTechReq = specializedElectrics

This is weird, in my screenshot the name is KTEC, but the efficiency is 30%.  That makes no sense as they are supposed to change at the same time as per this config file for the thermal gen.  Is this something in my mods, a problem with ETT because there is no advanced nuclear reactors node?

3 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

MODULE
{
	name = FNGenerator
	pCarnotEff = 0.32
	maxThermalPower = 15000
	upgradedpCarnotEff = 0.64
	upgradedName = KTEC Solid State Generator
	originalName = Brayton Cycle Gas Turbine
	upgradeTechReq = specializedElectrics

This is weird, in my screenshot the name is KTEC, but the efficiency is 30%.  That makes no sense as they are supposed to change at the same time as per this config file for the thermal gen.  Is this something in my mods, a problem with ETT because there is no advanced nuclear reactors node?

Sorry, I took a second look and it appears you simply have too few radiators for high efficiency thermal power conversion. I see your waste heat is about 25% which result in a significant cold bath for the carrot cycle result in only about half the efficiency you can achieve.

Edited by FreeThinker

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Sorry, I took a second look and it appears you simply have too few radiators for high efficiency thermal power conversion. I see your waste heat is about 25% which result in a significant cold bath for the carrot cycle result in only about half the efficiency you can achieve.

What? my cold bath temp in that screenshot was 1600k, and hot bath was 58000k.  That should be right close to the ideal efficiency of 62% shouldn't it? but it looks like it is very close to the not upgraded 32% efficiency?  Also the rads installed on it can get rid of all heat at their max temp of 4100k, which at that cold bath temp should barely affect the efficiency.  I'll try it again and double the rads.

8 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

What? my cold bath temp in that screenshot was 1600k, and hot bath was 58000k.  That should be right close to the ideal efficiency of 62% shouldn't it? but it looks like it is very close to the not upgraded 32% efficiency?  Also the rads installed on it can get rid of all heat at their max temp of 4100k, which at that cold bath temp should barely affect the efficiency.  I'll try it again and double the rads.

Even if the reaction is million degrees, your thermal electric generator still has to delude it to the point it doesn't melt, which effectively means an effective core temp of only 3500K

Edited by FreeThinker

23 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

On 22.01.2017 at 4:59 PM, falcoon said:

Are you saying that if i'll install NF manually on 1.2.2, it should work? because Ckan won't allow me to install NF on 1.2.2.

Yes it should.

You were right, it works. What's more important, radiators bug is no longer present in 1.2.2, so sorry for wasting your time.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Even if the reaction is million degrees, your thermal electric generator still has to delude it to the point it doesn't melt, which effectively means an effective core temp of only 3500K

Good to know, I hadn't heard that anywhere else.  It totally makes sense, but because nothing in the UI told me that I assumed it wasn't a limit in the mod.  From this screenshot it looks like the efficiency is still based on the hot bath temp of 58841K.  If it was based on 3500k, I would expect it to have much less than 30%.

I still have the non-upgraded efficiency problem though.  I have made certain I have enough cooling, but it is still showing ~30% eff instead of the 60% I would expect.

PeGy6rv.png

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It is fixed based on the amount of mass and warp coil power. So it doesn't matter if you are charging for high or low speed warp.

The idea was to modify it in order ton use only one warp engine with a huge vessel

Version 1.12.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-01-23

• Added New ISRU Process: Atmosphere Extractor which allows extraction of useful resources from any Atmosphere (credits EvilGeorge)
  • Added Regolith Drill
  • Added Regolith to switchable solid storage tanks
  • Added Atmospheric definition for Galileo (credits Chase842)
  • Balance: Limited maximum Beamed power in Near Future Electric mode
  • Balance: Made Xenon fuel mode more electric efficient
  • Fixed Cleaned interface Beam Bower receiver when linked for relay
Edited by FreeThinker

45 minutes ago, falcoon said:

Could you say sth more? What exactly is limited now?

The same limitation that are applied to non NFE mode. Depending on the size , transmitter have a upper limit on their maximum capacity, like everything has. It was just that it was not properly scaled

I've had some KSPI-E stuff on a vessel that's been around awhile. I've unlocked new techs since that vessel was launched that should be able to improve some of the parts on that vessel (radiators and TEG mostly, perhaps even the reactor itself). How do I go about upgrading them these days? I seem to remember there was a trick to it with regular KSPI back in the day, but don't remember what it was...

Also, I'm considering using the laser beam stuff as long range antennae, but don't know what all I'd need to set things up in this fashion. Wish there were some good tutorials (perhaps even videos) for the beamed power network stuff.

59 minutes ago, Einarr said:

I've had some KSPI-E stuff on a vessel that's been around awhile. I've unlocked new techs since that vessel was launched that should be able to improve some of the parts on that vessel (radiators and TEG mostly, perhaps even the reactor itself). How do I go about upgrading them these days? I seem to remember there was a trick to it with regular KSPI back in the day, but don't remember what it was...

Currently they are upgraded automaticly when techs are unlocked. In the future I hope to do it by having an engeneer upgrade the part on EVA

Oh, I seem to remember that in Fractal's KSPI you had to have someone EVA to do the upgrade, probably with a limitation on where the upgrade could be done (possibly LKO only). Nice to know I don't have to worry about it for now.

2 hours ago, Einarr said:

Oh, I seem to remember that in Fractal's KSPI you had to have someone EVA to do the upgrade, probably with a limitation on where the upgrade could be done (possibly LKO only). Nice to know I don't have to worry about it for now.

Yes and depending on the training level of the Engeneer it can level up to a higher level. Meaning having

50 minutes ago, Aghanim said:

How about any warp drive documentation?

The OP contained the following information:

KSPI warp drive can generate exotic matter  and use it to create a warp field. The amount of power required to create a stable warp fields depends on the speed and power of the warp coils.

The speed of light itself requires the least amount energy. Traveling faster or slower requires more power. However speed is influenced by a large degree by the curvature of space, in other words, gravity. It means that the higher the gravity pull of any heavily body, the lower the maximum speed possible for a finite amount of power requirement. This effectively means that when a vessel is in a low Kerbin orbit, where the pull of gravity is significant, the maximum warp speed is very low. And since traveling slower than the speed of light requires more power, it means that it will be hard or impossible to generate enough power. To  get around it, you need to bring your vessel further away from the gravity source or install more warp drive power.

Warp Power is achieved by any of the 3 warpdrives in KSP, The Light Warp Engine, the Foldable Warp Engine and the Heavy Warp Engine. The amount of warp power is directly dependent on the mass of the warp drive. Warp drives also stack linear, which means it will not matter if you use 24 ton of light warp drives or a single large warp drive.

Any questions?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 23-1-2017 at 1:20 PM, Noel32 said:

What other mods would you like to see in such a play through?

Right now would like to see KSPI-E with Galactic Neighbourhood, simply because it is one of the most mature Galaxy Mods, and allows for the most interesting star systems.

The problem with Constallations is that is it make for RSS, and RO is not updated yet to KSP 1.2.2 yet. You will run into the same problem as the video posted.

Edited by FreeThinker

23 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Good to know, I hadn't heard that anywhere else.  It totally makes sense, but because nothing in the UI told me that I assumed it wasn't a limit in the mod.  From this screenshot it looks like the efficiency is still based on the hot bath temp of 58841K.  If it was based on 3500k, I would expect it to have much less than 30%.

I still have the non-upgraded efficiency problem though.  I have made certain I have enough cooling, but it is still showing ~30% eff instead of the 60% I would expect.

PeGy6rv.png

I think I have found the problem, as I am using ETT which moves around a lot of nodes.  I think that ETT completely removes or renames a tech called highpowerelectrics and the upgrade for the generator relies on it.  

Can I change the upgrade required tech node in the cfg or is it hardcoded?

EDIT: Just tested changing the config and my eff is back to starting at 64% as it should with the upgrade.  So the whole problem was because of ETT.

Edited by Liquid5n0w

2 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

I think I have found the problem, as I am using ETT which moves around a lot of nodes.  I think that ETT completely removes or renames a tech called highpowerelectrics and the upgrade for the generator relies on it.  

Can I change the upgrade required tech node in the cfg or is it hardcoded?

EDIT: Just tested changing the config and my eff is back to starting at 64% as it should with the upgrade.  So the whole problem was because of ETT.

Yes, I advised him strongly against  mixing up the tech-nodes but he did it anyway.

Edit: could you provide an MM script so I can include it in the ETT patch?

Edited by FreeThinker