KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Exactly what radiators were you using when this happened?

I've just finished testing all of them. Here is tle list of radiators that works fine. All the rest behave like described above.

Graphite Radiator Semi Foldable
DT-MW-RTID-98 Radiator Warp
Thermal Control System (all 3 sizes)
Graphite Umbrella Radiator
Graphite Gradiator Folding (all 3 sizes)
Conformal Graphite Radiator

It leads to simple conclusion - all radiators that are folding in any way works ok, all the rest is bugged.

BTW. I think I've just found another bug. It looks like Graphite Umbrella Radiator can't be destroyed by aerodinamic forces. To say no more, I tried to destroy it during reentry. It was open, swiched on, and placed perpendicularly to velocity vector and... it survived without a scratch.

18 minutes ago, falcoon said:

I've just finished testing all of them. Here is tle list of radiators that works fine. All the rest behave like described above.

Graphite Radiator Semi Foldable
DT-MW-RTID-98 Radiator Warp
Thermal Control System (all 3 sizes)
Graphite Umbrella Radiator
Graphite Gradiator Folding (all 3 sizes)
Conformal Graphite Radiator

It leads to simple conclusion - all radiators that are folding in any way works ok, all the rest is bugged.

BTW. I think I've just found another bug. It looks like Graphite Umbrella Radiator can't be destroyed by aerodinamic forces. To say no more, I tried to destroy it during reentry. It was open, swiched on, and placed perpendicularly to velocity vector and... it survived without a scratch.

I did some test my self (using non folding radiators)  but could not reproduce the problem. Could you please explain me how to reproduce, preferably with some screen dumps.

13 minutes ago, falcoon said:

@FreeThinker Is it possible that problem is already solved in 1.2.2 version? I'm playing 1.2.1

I'll try to make a viedo. Not sure if my current pc will handle it, but i'll try.

Yes these used to be bugs but were fixed. Why aren't you upgraded to KSP 1.2.2 yet?

Anyway, You relay station should look something like this now

ElfS5Aq.png

qWgGXWS.png

Notice the differences!

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes these used to be bugs but were fixed. Why aren't you upgraded to KSP 1.2.2 yet?

Because Near Future is not updated. I tried making new install without it, but it turns out I have NF parts almost on every craft I've launched.
I'm still hoping it will be updated soon.

I'm struggling with this vid. It may take a while.

Edited by falcoon

@FreeThinker I just discovered and downloaded this mod using CKAN. For context, the other mods I have installed are Mechjeb, Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Inventory System and Kerbal Attachment System. I am trying to test the new parts I have in my career mode, namely the molten salt reactor and the thermal launch nozzle, as well as the various fuel tanks. My issue happens when I have built a rocket in the VAB, and then switch propellant types in the fuel tanks and the nozzle. Looking at my delta-v stats and TWR stats in kerbal engineer, I can see that sometimes when I switch propellants or reposition a part, the ship 'breaks' and I no longer register any thrust and have a super tiny (2-10) delta-v. It seems very finicky but I haven't been able to find any other threads about this issue. Have you experienced or encountered this issue, where making an adjustment to the ship somehow breaks it? I can only speculate on the issue here as I am brand new to this mod. Perhaps it is some detection of the connection between the nozzle and the reactor? My basic test design is, from top to bottom, probe core -> fuel tank -> molten salt reactor -> thermal launch nozzle. I am sure that the correct fuel types are being selected. The triggers of the break (basically going from several hundred d/v reported in kerbal engineer to ~4) are changing part diameters, rearranging parts, or changing propellant/fuel types. Any guidance is appreciated. 

Edited by betelphi

13 hours ago, betelphi said:

@FreeThinker I just discovered and downloaded this mod using CKAN. For context, the other mods I have installed are Mechjeb, Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Inventory System and Kerbal Attachment System. I am trying to test the new parts I have in my career mode, namely the molten salt reactor and the thermal launch nozzle, as well as the various fuel tanks. My issue happens when I have built a rocket in the VAB, and then switch propellant types in the fuel tanks and the nozzle. Looking at my delta-v stats and TWR stats in kerbal engineer, I can see that sometimes when I switch propellants or reposition a part, the ship 'breaks' and I no longer register any thrust and have a super tiny (2-10) delta-v. It seems very finicky but I haven't been able to find any other threads about this issue. Have you experienced or encountered this issue, where making an adjustment to the ship somehow breaks it? I can only speculate on the issue here as I am brand new to this mod. Perhaps it is some detection of the connection between the nozzle and the reactor? My basic test design is, from top to bottom, probe core -> fuel tank -> molten salt reactor -> thermal launch nozzle. I am sure that the correct fuel types are being selected. The triggers of the break (basically going from several hundred d/v reported in kerbal engineer to ~4) are changing part diameters, rearranging parts, or changing propellant/fuel types. Any guidance is appreciated. 

First off, the molten salt reactor is very likely too heavy and not hot enough to launch from the ground.  Try the same build with the pebble bed.

Second, I find KER incorrect reads the thrust of parts regularly.  Disconnecting and reconnecting the part size, or just resize up then down, can help.  But even still I often find the Kerbal Engineer estimate very inaccurate. it's best to build it then test on a stand.

I have never gotten dV that is tiny though, that sounds new.

29 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

Any one knows if this change to pure LF tank is intentional or just accidental regression? It's causing the tank disappearing from VAB part selection completely (from my career save) and searching "pure" would give me no results.

Yes the Pure LiquidFuel tank is intentional being phased out.

Jesus.. I quit playing for a while, came back, and this mod is a monster.. lol... What is "REQUIRED" in this pack for the mod to run?.. I don't want to go gutting it without asking in-case there are some strange dependencies now.

Edited by Talavar

Laser beamed power is Junk compared to microwave I just tried for over 30 hours to set up a system for it and it still don't work the reception and set up are crap!

Really I think inferred to ultraviolet should be a a tier higher then they are and be designed so that the transmitters are massive and on gimbels and the receivers are small very accurate and expensive. I mean there High powered lasers for goodness shakes and are lasers are already accurate to a pin head so the future tec should be to!       

3 hours ago, Talavar said:

Jesus.. I quit playing for a while, came back, and this mod is a monster.. lol... What is "REQUIRED" in this pack for the mod to run?.. I don't want to go gutting it without asking in-case there are some strange dependencies now.

What Is absolutely Required is Tweakscale, CRP and a CTT compatible tech tree. IFS is needed for the tanks if you want to use anything else than Hydrogen. Filter Extenstions is optional, but it will help a lot if you have it because it will organize all KSPI-E part in neat categories. Persistent rotation is neat if you want to make use of KSPI-E persistent thrust feature effectively.

3 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

Really I think inferred to ultraviolet should be a a tier higher then they are and be designed so that the transmitters are massive and on gimbels and the receivers are small very accurate and expensive. I mean there High powered lasers for goodness shakes and are lasers are already accurate to a pin head so the future tec should be to!       

Every beam wavelength has it advantage/disadvantage but in general you should use the wavelength that fits the distance. Also note that beam efficiency becomes better with more advanced technologies unlocked

Edited by FreeThinker

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What Is absolutely Required is Tweakscale, CRP and a CTT compatible tech tree. IFS is needed for the tank if you want to use anything else than Hydrogen. Filter Extenstions is optional, but it will help a lot if you have it because it will organize all KSPI-E part in neat categories. Persistent rotation is neat if you want to make use of KSPI-E persistent thrust feature for effectively.

Thanks for the info, thinker.

23 hours ago, falcoon said:

Good point, I will put it on my list.

3 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

Laser beamed power is Junk compared to microwave I just tried for over 30 hours to set up a system for it and it still don't work the reception and set up are crap!   

Could you a bit more specific? Exactly what is going wrong. It very important the Transmitter wavelength matches with the receiver specific bandwidth or use a thermal receiver which compatible with a much wide effective brandwidth.

6 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

First off, the molten salt reactor is very likely too heavy and not hot enough to launch from the ground.  Try the same build with the pebble bed.

Correct. The Molten Salt main purpose is power production of long periods of time, it ability to be used for propulsion is a nice bonus usefull for orbital transfers, no for launching out of strong gravity holes like Kerbin/Earth

On 22-1-2017 at 10:27 AM, Shkeiru said:

EDIT : So i have a question: can we modify the exotic matter to mass ratio required for warp or is it fixed ?

It is fixed based on the amount of mass and warp coil power. So it doesn't matter if you are charging for high or low speed warp.

On 20-1-2017 at 5:46 PM, Liquid5n0w said:

You can use relays that are marked as mirrors for 1 part relaying correct?

Correct, they function like the phased array in relay mode. They just operate in different bandwidth.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 20-1-2017 at 10:30 AM, Noel32 said:

He's probably using the old version due to the Realism Overhaul mod not being upgraded yet, and he needs that mod as he's using RSS.

True but it huge loss of opportunity, especially because many of the bugs in KSP and Interstellar 1.1.3  were fixed fixed in 1.2 which is a lot more stable. I still hope that one day someone create a Interstellar Adventure (with KSPI-E 1.2.2) series without the RSS baggage. The last one was over 3 years ago by Scott Manly

Although the heart of KSPI is more or less the same, a lot has changed both with KSP and Interstellar. If anyone takes up the challenge I promise I will support them the best way I can

Edited by FreeThinker

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

True but it huge loss of opportunity, especially because many of the bugs in KSP and Interstellar 1.1.3  were fixed fixed in 1.2 which is a lot more stable. I still hope that one day someone create a Interstellar Adventure (with KSPI-E 1.2.2) series without the RSS baggage. The last one was over 3 years ago by Scott Manly

Although the heart of KSPI is more or less the same, a lot has changed both with KSP and Interstellar. If anyone takes up the challenge I promise I will support them the best the way I can

This is something I would like to do, but without talking and maybe just some words on the screen

52 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Although the heart of KSPI is more or less the same, a lot has changed both with KSP and Interstellar. If anyone takes up the challenge I promise I will support them the best the way I can

What other mods would you like to see in such a play through? 

I'd imagine mks with Interstellar would make a popular play through.

-edit 

Alongside Constellations..

Edited by Noel32

2 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Why is my thermal gen efficiency still ~30% even though I have the KTEC upgrade?  

06sp9vA.png

Thermal Genrator still upgrades with Advanded Nuclear Reactors. Thanks for reminding me to fix and make it dependent on advanced Electrical Tech nodes

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Thermal Genrator still upgrades with Advanded Nuclear Reactors. Thanks for reminding me to fix it.

Well i'm using ETT, so the upgrades in that are all over the place.  But my picture says I have a KTEC?  is something going on?