KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Release 1.14.5 : which Added Limit power production by connected generators and engines  , it can be downloaded from here

I can say this one is pretty... cool :)

Now stuff isn't uselessly wasted :D

Also I built lower tech version of your spaceship.

It has 2 pairs of atmospheric boosters, a lot of air intake, 5m antimatter initiated reactor and epstein engine.

For dense atmosphere I use 2 2.75m thermal fusion reactors on D-T with thermal turbojet on atmospheric mode, for upper atmosphere I use 2 2.75m WAKEFIELD engines on compressed air mode, once I reach 40 km on Kerbin I can toggle Epstein and have 1.5g acceleration from this engine itself.

2.5m atmo boosters were too weak. I guess I could reduce them to 2.6m size :P

That jumper weights 264 tons, and atmoboosters weigh 65 tons.

Edit: 2.6m parts work good enough to get high enough for Epstein.

NAnGvUO.jpg

These big reactors are needed for Wakefield, that wasily loses thrust due to overheating.

Edited by raxo2222

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

I found weird area bug with radiators.

OkYx03C.jpg

Visually graphene triangle-ish radiator is 2x bigger than square graphite radiator.

It's worse, about 2.6x bigger. I recalculated and the Radiator Edge Double the right dimensions, It was the winged edge radiators that has significantly too small surface area. thanks for pointing it out

Edited by FreeThinker

I designed a ship with delta-V of 16 000 m/s. It is propelled with two 5m diameter Timberwinds with Liquid Fuel propellant. How long does the 400 units of Uranium Nitride Pellets last? I haven't been able to find any good documentation on those.

7 hours ago, Luovahulluus said:

I designed a ship with delta-V of 16 000 m/s. It is propelled with two 5m diameter Timberwinds with Liquid Fuel propellant. How long does the 400 units of Uranium Nitride Pellets last? I haven't been able to find any good documentation on those.

After you launch the vehicle, you can click on the engine/reactor, select "reactor control window" and it will show you the fuel life expectancy. 

Is there a guide on ISRU or some example craft files? Last play through I tried to get some ISRU going, but couldn't get the combination of harvesters, converters, containers, power, etc. right, and pretty much gave up on it. 

I'm running RSS this time, and I'd like to start ISRU by getting a self sustaining nuclear reactor on the moon. Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to set that up?

5 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

After you launch the vehicle, you can click on the engine/reactor, select "reactor control window" and it will show you the fuel life expectancy. 

Thanks! 

I don't seem to have any tanks that can store uranium nitride pellets. Am I missing something or do I need another mod for that?

5 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

Is there a guide on ISRU or some example craft files? Last play through I tried to get some ISRU going, but couldn't get the combination of harvesters, converters, containers, power, etc. right, and pretty much gave up on it. 

I'm running RSS this time, and I'd like to start ISRU by getting a self sustaining nuclear reactor on the moon. Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to set that up?

what kind of reactor?  If you have hydrates available in the biome you're in on the moon, you can use the MKS hydrates to water converter.. then use the ISRU to do water electrolysis, this will give you an unlimited supply of hydrogen which you can use for a QSR fusion reactor.  If you're talking a fission reactor, you can harvest uraninite and refine it with the MKS refinery, not sure if the KSPIE ISRU will reprocess this particular resource (probably does?)... don't think you can do anything else with what's easily available on the  mun, but I could be wrong.

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It's worse, about 2.6x bigger. I recalculated and the Radiator Edge Double the right dimensions, It was the winged edge radiators that has significantly too small surface area. thanks for pointing it out

I think you need to review all radiators for their consistency between graphical size and actual size.

Some radiators look bigger and other smaller despite setting them all on 50 square meters area.

Not all radiators glow when hot BTW

Only radiators I didn't place here Wrapped Graphene Radiator and Wrapped Microwave Thermal Receiver - they didn't want to scale town to 50 square meters

On unrelated note, where I can find good ladders for this planet jumper?

MP04ctV.jpg

I managed to launch myself high enough to trigger epstein, moved a little then gently climbed down.

I guess you don't even have to reentry - just slow a lot while above atmosphere wihth epstein and then land.

Edit: this is so badass, that it can fly out of Jool. I guess it can fly out of any RSS gas giant and Venus, at first using only thermal turbojets, as only these engines work in dense atmosphere.

Edited by raxo2222

10 hours ago, ss8913 said:

what kind of reactor?  If you have hydrates available in the biome you're in on the moon, you can use the MKS hydrates to water converter.. then use the ISRU to do water electrolysis, this will give you an unlimited supply of hydrogen which you can use for a QSR fusion reactor.  If you're talking a fission reactor, you can harvest uraninite and refine it with the MKS refinery, not sure if the KSPIE ISRU will reprocess this particular resource (probably does?)... don't think you can do anything else with what's easily available on the  mun, but I could be wrong.

I was planning on using a molten salt reactor if U or Th was available, or a magnetic confinement reactor using He3.

MKS is the USI Modular Kolonization System? While I was thinking of adding this mod, is it not possible to do ISRU with the myriad of parts introduced by Interstellar? 

Uploaded Version 1.14.6 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-06-20

• Added automated functionality which limitst reactor power output by power request by connected engines and generators
  • Added deployable and fixed microchannel graphene radiator
  • Added support for MKS Nuke Reactor 1,25 "Short"
  • Fixed surface area winged graphene radiator
  • Fixed display antimatter container

On 2017/6/17 at 3:18 PM, FreeThinker said:
  • Balanced: charged particle direct power converter can now convert up to 90% when Exotic Electrical Systems is researched

Is it by design that the integrated CP generator of IXSMainHull doesn't get changed? Looks like the one in QuantumSingularity reactor got changed but not IXSMainHull. I would assume it's a simple bug :-)

And, I'm not seeing the most recent changes in github (since 1.14.4). Is it just because you're not pulling changes in real time? If so, I'm totally fine - I just want to make sure I'm not looking at the wrong repo.

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

And what about other radiators, that are needlessly big, like in screenshots above?

Well you need to take into account that some radiators are one side only (to prevent self-radiation). I intend to review all radiators again and make a good overview of all characteristics, giving players a more informed choice. my intention is to give a wide range of choice and make every radiator excel for a specific purpose

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there a similar thread for 1.2 version of KSPI - E mod? As it seems to me power network has some mayor differences between these two versions, basically all I want to know is which one is the best for various distances, i.e. LKO, Mun - Minmus, and interplanetary transmissions in 1.2.     

16 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

On unrelated note, where I can find good ladders for this planet jumper?

Nice ship!

The LET pack has really long 8m retractable ladders, greatly reducing part count. Just delete the non-ladder parts you don't need I suppose.

1 hour ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Is there a similar thread for 1.2 version of KSPI - E mod? As it seems to me power network has some mayor differences between these two versions,

major differences? I don't recall I made any changes relevant to beamed power network.

1 hour ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

basically all I want to know is which one is the best for various distances, i.e. LKO, Mun - Minmus, and interplanetary transmissions in 1.2.     

If you main power source is located on the surface, default Infrared is often the best choice (as is minimises atmospheric loses). If you got Beamed power station in orbit, higher frequencies are more useful for extended range.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

So what are you basically saying is Infrared laser on surface, and Free electron laser in orbit? What about "ordinary" (not lasers) microwave? Where does it stands/fits? About differences between two versions, on some screenshots in this thread I saw an option/slider to change frequencies? There is no such option in this version...  

4 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

@FreeThinker

So what are you basically saying is Infrared laser on surface, and Free electron laser in orbit?

No infrared is ideal to build near kerbin power network because infeared is resonably well in penetrating through to the atmosphere. A good statagy is to Geo stationary power relay station directly above KTC. From there you can either redistribute locally using direct or indirect relays, or convert into more long range beamed power. Conversion will incur a power conversion penalty but will make it at least possible to send a significant amount of power to nearby planets. If your power station is in orbit, the trick is to customise the frequency in such a way that the effective amount of received power is maximised. At the moment you have to do it manually, but in the future, I want to add functionality which assists you in this task

4 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

@FreeThinker

What about "ordinary" (not lasers) microwave? Where does it stands/fits? 

Microwave is ideal for short range surface operations or when you want to launch something into orbit. Notice that if your limited to a single power station at KTC, instead of a standard gravity turn, it will be better to use a more high eliptic gravity turn which minimises the distance to the ground base. Another good stratagy is to make use of microwave power tugs , which is a low orbit power station which provides power durring launch and orbitting. Another trick would be to either use a western mobile ground station 100 Km from KTC or a floating power station 100 km east of KTC

Edited by FreeThinker

On 19-6-2017 at 0:01 PM, Luovahulluus said:

I don't seem to have any tanks that can store uranium nitride pellets. Am I missing something or do I need another mod for that?

There are 2 tanks that can store uranium-nitride , which is the radially attached RV Tank or the switchable inline Radioactive Fuel Container

Edited by FreeThinker

i have suggestion: Can termal turbojets/ramjets generate electricity just like standard engines do?

Or at least minature generator with reactor would be nice

BTW 1.25m thermal turbojet still overheats with molten salt reactor on uranium burnup (1.25m)

Edit:

It looks like thermal fusion reactor+thermal generator has problem with feeding itself maintenance energy.

It just starves itself and then restarts.

Edit: It just causes short loss of thrust for thermal ramjet. But still it would be nice if required power production was locked, if only source of electricity is generator, that fusion reactor is connected to.

Edited by raxo2222