KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Thanks for the picture, I can now replicate the problem

@FreeThinkerI'm having a similar but not quite the same issue.. with that spaceplane that I posted a picture of on Thallo a couple days ago... it has a thermal ramjet nozzle for horizontal thrust and 2 thermal turbojets for VTOL.. the only .. huh.. how can I explain this.. on the runway, engage thermal ramjet nozzle, gets 0.3 m/s/s of acceleration... at full thrust.  in the prev version it gave 4.0+ m/s at a standing start.. anyway thrust works fine if i toggle the vtol engines on and off.  Same works in space on closed cycle (hydrazine).  have to solve it the same way.  The VTOL engines by themselves produce insufficient (but nonzero) thrust landing on.. wherever... if i don't toggle the horizontal engine.  The % of throttle at which I toggle the inactive engines determines how much thrust the one I want will make.  It's by far the weirdest way that thermal engines have ever been broken.. does seem to be a fuel flow problem... will wait and try the next version that's fixing @Chase842's issue.

Uploaded beta 1.14.7 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Replaced Proprietary Acceleration mechanic by stock mechanic, making more compatible with other KSP control tools

* Added Increased Thermal/Nuclear Turbo engine acceleration depending on connected reactor and unlocked jet engine technology

* Added x2 and 3x extended Graphene Wrapper for reduced part count

*  Balance: Reduced Wasteheat Kerbstein

* Balance: Reduced Mass + Surface Area Graphene Umbrella radiator to single side radiator

* Fixed thermal engine power starvation problem

Edited by FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Changelog

* Added Replaced Proprietary Acceleration mechanic by stock mechanic, making more compatible with other KSP control tools

* Added Increased Thermal/Nuclear Turbo engine acceleration depending on connected reactor and unlocked jet engine technology

Well link says "file not found"

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

please try again

Now it works.

EDIT: WOW it made thermal turbojets with antimatter reactor so awesome, that I don't need Wakefield for upper atmosphere!

My Jumper reached top acceleration of 7 G while speeding trough atmosphere.

This means I can make ship much lighter which mean thermal turbojets will pull even more impressive acceleration!

Edited by raxo2222

Good for pointing out this bug

jqDRZmq.jpg

The microchannel fixed radiator is not be strong enough to attach anything on them, they have 33% reduced mass compaired to the edge radiator which are mend to be strong enough to attach engine on them..

By the way you realy don't need fixed radiator, skin radiators would be good enough now that Kerbstein produces less wasteheat.

Edited by FreeThinker

24 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Good for pointing out this bug

jqDRZmq.jpg

The microchannel fixed radiator is not be strong enough to attach anything on them, they have 33% reduced mass compaired to the edge radiator which are mend to be strong enough to attach engine on them..

By the way you realy don't need fixed radiator, skin radiators would be good enough now that Kerbstein produces less wasteheat.

So I shouldn't get so much acceleration from antimatter reactor? :o

Also these radiators are for antimatter reactors - they produce a lot of waste heat!

19 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

So I shouldn't get so much acceleration from antimatter reactor? :o

Also these radiators are for antimatter reactors - they produce a lot of waste heat!

The bug that freethinker meant is that you shouldn't be able to attach things radially on multichannel radiators.

Regarding antimatter reactor, if you use it only for thermal turbojets, and don't attach any generator on them, they will run Only for propulsion, discharging wasteheat out in the turbojets exhaust. When turbojets are off, your am reactors will stay a at idle...for your jumper, 4 graphene wrappers around cargo tank, should be enough.

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Changelog

*  Balance: Reduced Wasteheat Kerbstein

* Balance: Reduced Mass + Surface Area Graphene Umbrella radiator to single side radiator

Great! Time to reassess my sstw atmo propulsion systems, and radiators config.

By the way, is the global radiator calculation implemented or at least, in program?

7 minutes ago, Ciro1983811 said:

The bug that freethinker meant is that you shouldn't be able to attach things radially on multichannel radiators.

Regarding antimatter reactor, if you use it only for thermal turbojets, and don't attach any generator on them, they will run Only for propulsion, discharging wasteheat out in the turbojets exhaust. When turbojets are off, your am reactors will stay a at idle...for your jumper, 4 graphene wrappers around cargo tank, should be enough.

Ah fine then :P

Edited by raxo2222

4 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

By the way, is the global radiator calculation implemented or at least, in program?

Nope my first priority was to fix anything that was clearly broken, but I did streamline the radiator code, made skin radiators physics less and added a few skin radiators which you can use to reduce the number of radiators by half. This in it self should improve your frame-rate

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

I found a bug with the Diamagnetic antimatter tank. With no fuel, it's cost is in the negatives, and the fuel is very very expensive.

Screenshot:

Hope that helps

Also, I have a few question,

- Is there a way to collect and/or ISRU anti hydrogen?

- Is anti hydrogen a more efficient fuel than antimatter for antimatter reactors?

- Is solid hydrogen a more efficient fuel than liquid hydrogen for antimatter reactors?

@FreeThinker found a bug. Antimatter/antiidrogen not flowing to antimatter reactor, in a simple config reactor/Turbojet without generators. Full throttle in atomspheric mode, then you go to reactor control window, consumpion "antihidrogen" 0 .... push deactivate reactor, and suddently you are accelerating as it should be. This happen both with diamagnetic and electrostatic containment device (except than with diamagnetic you suddently explode for max G acceleration ..hehe)

1 hour ago, Chase842 said:

@FreeThinker

I found a bug with the Diamagnetic antimatter tank. With no fuel, it's cost is in the negatives, and the fuel is very very expensive.

Screenshot:

Hope that helps

It appears some weird stock/tweakscale bug, that causes it not to get the correct as long as it not resized since as soon as you give it any other size than the default 1.25m, it receives  the correct cost

Version 1.14.8 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-06-25

• Added Replaced Proprietary Acceleration mechanic by stock mechanic, making more compatible with other KSP control tools
  • Added Increased Thermal/Nuclear Turbo engine acceleration depending on connected reactor and unlocked jet engine technology
  • Added x2 and 3x extended Graphene Wrapper for reduced part count
  • Balance: Reduced Wasteheat Kerbstein
  • Balance: Reduced Mass + Surface Area Graphene Umbrella radiator to single side radiator
  • Fixed thermal engine power starvation problem
  • Fixed Negative cost with empty Diamagnetic antimatter tank
Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker tried the beta... antimatter + CP electric generators are generating a lot more wasteheat than they were in 1.14.6; but i think they were heating abnormally low in .6 ... one of my hyperspace craft had to come back from minmus on only the kerbstein since charging the warpdrive was overheating the whole thing (in the .7 beta) - whereas it got *to* Minmus just fine in .6.

Is this intentional?

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker... one of my hyperspace craft had to come back from minmus on only the kerbstein since charging the warpdrive was overheating the whole thing (in the .7 beta) - whereas it got *to* Minmus just fine.....

You warped from kerbin to minmus..? O:-)

Why is the Interstellar Fuel Switch not the same version as the single download?

Same was with KSPIE 1.14.7:

Integrated is IFS 2.6.0.0

Single latest stable for KSP 1.3.0 is IFS 2.6.1.0

And for whatever reason my version of IFS says it's 2.6.3.0 (from June 5) - perhaps it was embedded to a dev version of KSPIE and I "recovered" it?

Edit:

also other embedded dependencies are outdated:

• HETTN
  • CTT
  • Filter Extensions
Edited by Gordon Dry

20 hours ago, Chase842 said:

- Is there a way to collect and/or ISRU anti hydrogen?

Antimatter and AntihHdrogen are current the same except with the difference that antimatter is in an ionized state while in antihydrogen it is in solid molecular state. To facilitate ISRU, I will add an antimatter to antihydrogen converter to the diamagnetic container to allow conversion between them.

- Is anti hydrogen a more efficient fuel than antimatter for antimatter reactors?

No by mass they are equally powerful, its just AntiHydrogen is a lot denser, the same density as solid hydrogen, it just need 10 times the room  keep the ball of anti hydrogen suspended magnetically. lso note it unit is in liter, similar to Solid hydrogen which has the same density. Therefore you can use AntiHydrogen and SolidHydrogen in convenient a 1:1 mix in the antimatter reactor

- Is solid hydrogen a more efficient fuel than liquid hydrogen for antimatter reactors?

Solid Hydrogen is more dense than liquid hydrogen, but requires more power to keep it at this state and cannot be used for propulsion directly, you first need to liquefy it.

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

You warped from kerbin to minmus..? O:-)

yeah, that's an 18 day round trip by hohmann transfer.  My kerbals have stuff to do, this gets them there and back in time for dinner

@FreeThinker did some tests on the new version + TCA (Throttle Controlled Avionics - thrust balancing/VTOL autopilot mod) - using thermal turbojets on atmospheric mode, it now has proper control authority for precision VTOL ops, so your changes to integrate with VTOL balancers/other autopilots seems to be working well.  Still need to see if it works with mechjeb landing guidance on mun/minmus (TCA also has a similar mode which I will test).  Nice job! :)

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

yeah, that's an 18 day round trip by hohmann transfer.  My kerbals have stuff to do, this gets them there and back in time for dinner

@FreeThinker did some tests on the new version + TCA (Throttle Controlled Avionics - thrust balancing/VTOL autopilot mod) - using thermal turbojets on atmospheric mode, it now has proper control authority for precision VTOL ops, so your changes to integrate with VTOL balancers/other autopilots seems to be working well.  Still need to see if it works with mechjeb landing guidance on mun/minmus (TCA also has a similar mode which I will test).  Nice job! :)

Hehe .. yes but you don't need an holmann transfer, just fire the kerbstein straight at minmus, then revert and brake halfway ... I don't know if correcting orbital speed after warp is more or less expensive that doing the transfer with Kerbstein,

Anyway ... busy kerbals have you !! :)

5 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

Hehe .. yes but you don't need an holmann transfer, just fire the kerbstein straight at minmus, then revert and brake halfway ... I don't know if correcting orbital speed after warp is more or less expensive that doing the transfer with Kerbstein,

Anyway ... busy kerbals have you !! :)

it's more expensive but takes less time.  With a kerbstein drive system with 275km/sec or better of dV, I'm not really concerned about efficiency.  also if you do the burn and turn, how do you account for minmus moving in its orbit during that time?  wouldn't you undershoot the target if you pointed straight at minmus and did that?