A new recruit

ColKlonk2

You know kids... so many FPS games and as we say here 'Skiet hulle vrek' (shoot them dead - bit of overkill :wink: )... 

I've been encouraging my son to look at KSP for a while now... seeing that he's going into that field of study, which I consider to be the future for many eons.

Well guess what ?

He's has started using my copy of KSP on his laptop... and he's 'hooked' 

So now that has happened, as much as he can get away with it for free...

I would like to pay for an extra KSP license...

Question: Can I pay for 2 licenses or (most obvious) would he have to register, pay (on my account) .etc

???

Edited by ColKlonk2
fsd

As a matter of fact, you can purchase a second copy of KSP on a single account.

I understand that you want to support Squad. But I have a suggestion- use the money to get him some books on the subject. It will make his game more enjoyable, and encourage him to stay in that field of study.

21 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I understand that you want to support Squad. But I have a suggestion- use the money to get him some books on the subject. It will make his game more enjoyable, and encourage him to stay in that field of study.

Speaking of which...this just came out

https://www.amazon.com/Kerbal-Players-Guide-Easiest-Program/dp/1491913053/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484860369&sr=8-2&keywords=kerbal

1 hour ago, MinimalMinmus said:

First of all, hello to the little South African rocketeer (That's afrikaans, right?)!

Second, I'd personally consider buying it on Steam too, because steam is better for updates (they are automatical, and easier to do).

The problem with Steam updates is that they happen whether you want them to or not. This becomes an issue if you decide to use mods since the mods won't be updated the same day as the game and your game could break.

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

The problem with Steam updates  is that they happen wheThther you want them to or not. This is an issue if you decide  to use mods since the mods won't be updated the same day as the game and your game could break.

I Download from Steam and then copy the install directory and install mods only on the copied one.  This also gives me a place to go bug testing in a pure stock environment, only drawback being Steam cant track the hours i play.  Wait...  I'm not sure i

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

The problem with Steam updates  is that they happen wheThther you want them to or not. This is an issue if you decide  to use mods since the mods won't be updated the same day as the game and your game could break.

I Download from Steam and then copy the install directory and install mods only on the copied one.  This also gives me a place to go bug testing in a pure stock environment, only drawback being Steam cant track the hours i play.  Wait...  I'm not sure i Even want to know.

59 minutes ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

I Download from Steam and then copy the install directory and install mods only on the copied one.  This also gives me a place to go bug testing in a pure stock environment, only drawback being Steam cant track the hours i play.  Wait...  I'm not sure i

Yep, my point was that Steam auto-upgrade is actually not ideal ergo, it's better to buy from their website.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 10:51 PM, Dman979 said:

Been a while as I just wanted to make sure he's onto this.... So where does this second purchase happen as I cannot see it on my KSP account ?

1 minute ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Been a while as I just wanted to make sure he's onto this.... So where does this second purchase happen as I cannot see it on my KSP account ?

Log in, and then click "Buy now" in the top right corner. Then add to cart, "Go to shopping cart," and then proceed to checkout.

Steam take 30% and provides a ton of services, including but not limited to: incredibly fast, stable servers capable of handling bulk downloads with minimal to low latency, a very large playerbase to advertise to, community message boards, verified reviews, excellent front-page placement when on sale, ability to gift games to other users, keeps track of your mods and automatically updates them, allows you to easily upload, distribute, and update your own mods (for games with integrated Steam Workshop) etc etc etc.

Never understood why some folks are so averse to Steam.  They're a company providing a legitimate service.  I can honestly say that without Steam, I never would have heard of, or purchased, Kerbal Space Program, as well as countless other excellent Indie games.

6 hours ago, ColKlonk2 said:

HATE STEAM......

Invasive code.. full stop!!!!

Thanks Dman979

Jinne wees rustig bra, dis nou nie so erg nie gaan gooi net 'n tjoppie op die braai! :P

Steam is good if you plan on having a lot of games...everything is in the same place and much more accessible than some alternatives. But if there is only ever going to be one single game on steam, then it's not worth the hassle.

Steam and store are not all available options. GOG has KSP as well. Yes, updates seem to appear there like a day later, but you can easily play modded game and it counts your time, and it won't update unless you tell to do so (if you uncheck automatic updates box first of course).

Anyway, good to have another Kerbonaut on board.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, Blaarkies said:

Jinne wees rustig bra, dis nou nie so erg nie gaan gooi net 'n tjoppie op die braai! :P

Rarely do that....

Been in the coding game too long to even contemplate stuff like steam.. the kids don't think twice but they're none the wiser :confused:

8 hours ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Rarely do that....

Been in the coding game too long to even contemplate stuff like steam.. the kids don't think twice but they're none the wiser :confused:

I haven't had any more problems modding my steam games than i had on non-steam games. At least for KSP, it is absolutely DRM free on steam(you can copy KSP out of the steam folder if you like, it doesn't care...you just handle the updates yourself then(:confused:))

Time to move away from Cobol and try out the new stuff bro :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.