Captor Program: Exploring The Mun in 4x Scale.

septemberWaves

This thread is for my Captor program: a series of Gemini mimics designed for conducting Mun exploration missions. Of course, I'm playing in a scaled up version of the Kerbol system. Celestial bodies and orbital radii are increased by a factor of 4, and atmosphere heights are increased by a factor of 1.4 (there are also some other minor modifications to make things work better at this scale).

First, here is a post containing the testing phase of Captor 1. It has since had some updates but I'll get to those another time. Captor 1 is an approximation of the standard Gemini spacecraft that actually flew in reality. It can reach Kerbin orbit with about 1500m/s of delta-v remaining, but cannot reach the Mun on its own.

Below: first iteration of Captor 1 on the launch pad.

YEqeMCv.jpg

The next vehicle in the series is Captor 2 (below). It is launched on a significantly upgraded Titan launch vehicle, with even a modified Centaur stage. As well as adding the SRBs to turn it into a Titan III rocket, I had to make the entire vehicle longer to contain enough delta-v to reach orbit. Valentina and Maenna Kerman are the crew of this first mission to Mun orbit and back.

4jAm2zO.jpg

Spoiler

lUlrwRM.jpg

First stage ignition, booster ignition.

QdOdjzm.jpg

Liftoff.

gHlDhKd.jpg

6Kw1zaR.jpg

Initial acceleration is quite high, and continues to increase until booster separation.

hUwmFA8.jpg

People familiar with the M.O.L.E. mod might notice that something has been added to the command module between the doors. That's an EVA parachute module which basically allows the crew members to eject from the capsule and parachute to the ground in the event that the abort sequence is activated.

hUdxpqX.jpg

Reaching maximum acceleration and maximum dynamic pressure.

8jAGMt7.jpg

Booster cutoff.

fenVHQ8.jpg

Booster separation.

WCrw5ji.jpg

This upgraded Titan core is propelled by two Vector engines. They have slightly lower thrust than the Moa engines of the original rocket, but the extra efficiency was more important for this vehicle.

ZWtbuSi.jpg

Ascent is nominal.

7jcWVDO.jpg

First stage cutoff and separation, nosecone jettison, second stage ignition.

RInmVDN.jpg

The second stage is an upgraded single-engine Centaur stage, which I am designating a Centaur 2 stage. A direct evolution from the one used on the Captor 1 launch vehicle, this one is powered by a Moa engine and has twice the fuel capacity.

UYJYajO.jpg

0Ql7CWx.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 105km apoapsis is reached. Due to the launch profile, the vehicle also currently has a 40km periapsis, and requires only a minor burn to circularize.

hQS6R61.jpg

Circularizing. The Titan III upper stage only had 9m/s of delta-v remaining after this burn.

Qf38kxW.jpg

Launch vehicle separation.

Q8EkCRu.jpg

fW3BPbS.jpg

The Captor 2 spacecraft is the majority of the orbital module of a Captor 1 spacecraft, directly connected to a modified 2-engine Centaur 1 stage. The Centaur 1 stage is augmented with extended monopropellant storage for the fuel cells and RCS, extended electric charge storage, two relay antennas, and a MechJeb core. The entire configuration of Captor 1 orbital module plus modified Centaur 1 stage is considered a Centaur-S service module.

gWv7Vml.jpg

Executing the Munar transfer burn.

IizY6jK.jpg

Maneuver complete.

qh49Ppx.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

UatDhUV.jpg

Correcting periapsis to 40km.

Tucx56e.jpg

0VGCrBN.jpg

Circularizing. For some reason the spacecraft appears to be slightly unbalanced beyond what the reaction wheels can compensate for. The RCS is capable of maintaining the correct attitude during maneuvers however, so it is not a major issue.

YF3PZ4q.jpg

MRH1coX.jpg

Circularized in a 40km Munar orbit.

8XLm3gv.jpg

The orbit seen from the map view.

dAP9Sfa.jpg

Maenna conducting an EVA as Valentina remains inside the spacecraft.

X4stv0p.jpg

After some orbits, a maneuver is executed to return to Kerbin.

zXKyo05.jpg

zB9jxwD.jpg

Leaving the Mun.

4nZQ1nf.jpg

Approaching Kerbin.

OGPylI1.jpg

Zql8dm4.jpg

Service module jettison before atmospheric entry.

62J5FZJ.jpg

LQnsL0u.jpg

Re-entry is successful. It was not planned to land this close to the KSC, but it is a nice surprise.

fc86qEj.jpg

Parachutes deployed.

PHWPlPN.jpg

Touchdown speed: 5.5m/s.

K4wcWhU.jpg

Spacecraft landed with no damage.

Edited by eloquentJane

33 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Awesome! 

Captor 2 seems a bit tall. Is that because the parts were made for an unscaled Kerbin? Did you try out the ejection seats? I had a good giggle watching them bail and come down safely on their own chutes. I wonder how fitting a lander into 4x is going to look...   :) 

I can't rememeber who said it (probably in the blurb for 64k) but ksp stock planets are a 10th of normal scale, however the parts are scaled for a 0.64 scale earth! I would always recommend trying a bigger world, once used to stock!

8 minutes ago, Kertech said:

I can't rememeber who said it (probably in the blurb for 64k) but ksp stock planets are a 10th of normal scale, however the parts are scaled for a 0.64 scale earth! I would always recommend trying a bigger world, once used to stock!

I have an install on 64K with 1.1.2 (I think) and did an Apollo style moon mission with stock parts. It was interesting but since I play without any engineering assist mods (yes, I am one of those people), it was tricky getting the delta vee where it was needed. Agreed though that 1:1 Kerbol is a tad small. Perhaps I'll go down the middle like @eloquentJane and try 4x. :cool: 

4 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

Captor 2 seems a bit tall. Is that because the parts were made for an unscaled Kerbin? Did you try out the ejection seats? I had a good giggle watching them bail and come down safely on their own chutes. I wonder how fitting a lander into 4x is going to look...

Captor 2 had to use a significantly extended fuselage because it needed to get an entire two-engine Centaur 1 stage plus the Captor spacecraft into a 105km orbit. Unfortunately the proportions didn't work out to allow me to use the same rocket core as the Titan II on Captor 1. I think 4x scale leads to slightly larger rockets than real ones (proportionally) but it still allows similar enough designs that I was able to fulfill the challenge requirements for the launch vehicles.

I have tested out the ejection seats (there's not much sense in integrating a launch abort system if you don't test it out). I think I'll stick with a launch escape tower on most of my designs, but the ejection seats are fun to play around with and perfect for a Gemini mimic.

I haven't quite got the landers figured out yet. To start with I'll be going for the minimalistic approach: a single very basic monopropellant lander with as little actual structure as I can get away with whilst keeping it intact as a single vehicle. Landing on the Mun at this scale takes about 1200m/s with a good thrust-to-weight ratio, and a similar amount to be safe. It's not too difficult to pack about 2700m/s into a particularly small vehicle if most of the structure consists of fuel tanks, and I have some pretty good monopropellant engines available courtesy of RLA Stockalike. Future systems will involve larger landers and similarly larger launch vehicles (I'll definitely end up needing a Saturn IB mimic for some of the larger payloads). I also plan to assemble a station and surface base, so that the kerbals have somewhere to go and also somewhere to practice precision landings (it'll also help with preparing my early Mun exploration infrastructure for my long-term career game, which is moving to the 4x scale system now that I've been forced to restart it).

Speaking of future plans, I've found that I quite enjoy making vague mimics of real/proposed spacecraft designs in 4x scale. I've decided that once I'm done with the Captor program, I'll move on to more advanced technology and some mimics of the Apollo program. It'll be a separate thread with similar goals, and if that Apollo Applications challenge is still up and running then I'll probably use the sequel thread for submissions to that challenge (assuming 4x scale and my mod list comply with their rules). But that's not likely to be for a while; I still have several things I'd like to do with the Captor program, as well as the other things I have going on.

3 hours ago, Kertech said:

I can't rememeber who said it (probably in the blurb for 64k) but ksp stock planets are a 10th of normal scale, however the parts are scaled for a 0.64 scale earth!

Having done some stuff in 6.4x scale, it doesn't seem like the parts are ideal for it. Perhaps if you consider diameters of real rockets then that becomes the optimum scale, but I've found that rockets in 6.4x scale tend to seem a lot bigger than real ones.

Edited by eloquentJane

Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous

The next step for the Captor program was a crewed Mun landing. Valentina and Maenna Kerman would both be once again sent to Munar orbit, with Maenna landing on the surface of the Mun.

The mission uses two launches which will dock in Kerbin orbit. The first launch is the transfer stage and Mun lander, launched on a Titan III.

Hlg3LVI.jpg

Spoiler

O98Z1Bp.jpg

Ignition.

achCJTN.jpg

Liftoff.

gVqcR6w.jpg

BCORHqS.jpg

Reaching maximum dynamic pressure.

7LmUXCT.jpg

Booster cutoff.

YyCbsWT.jpg

Booster separation.

7H6DzXD.jpg

WwAuExS.jpg

First stage cutoff and separation, fairing separation. I realized at this point that I had forgotten to set the fairing to clamshell deployment.

tbQjuog.jpg

Second stage ignition.

Tqu8PEQ.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 105km apoapsis is reached.

Hi9ivYx.jpg

Circularizing.

bAetY9D.jpg

The next launch contains the crew.

TJnEtV4.jpg

Valentina and Maenna Kerman launch on a Captor 1. This has been modified since earlier launches. It now uses the updated launch escape system with parachutes instead of a launch escape tower, and it also uses a monopropellant fuel cell instead of solar panels for power generation.

Vpf39G9.jpg

Ignition, and liftoff.

H3oKYeZ.jpg

VN69GYE.jpg

9UmhmYm.jpg

First stage cutoff.

gUbHDWB.jpg

First stage separation, nosecone jettison.

1nexLEx.jpg

Second stage ignition.

bSo8Bg2.jpg

B67FymG.jpg

Second stage cutoff as 110km apoapsis is reached.

GIFgCja.jpg

Circularizing.

wHIPIOd.jpg

67ZReSN.jpg

rN2zuSX.jpg

Executing rendezvous maneuvers.

3pao4H9.jpg

Approaching the transfer stage.

2lz6Fhg.jpg

Docking is successful.

kCwtLoX.jpg

Executing Munar transfer burn.

dRbIDUE.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

5qyRPal.jpg

Circularizing in low Mun orbit.

OLJ9XVj.jpg

nVaKUp3.jpg

Deploying the Mun lander.

gMHwMgf.jpg

Maenna moving to the lander.

6F21SnB.jpg

FdPDThG.jpg

De-orbiting.

CTAKjPy.jpg

yJVov15.jpg

SFpK2o9.jpg

y3vCrCy.jpg

Landing is successful.

MHeRGbM.jpg

Surface samples are gathered and a flag is planted.

TW96P1b.jpg

Ascent.

cUjGDDR.jpg

The lander does not have enough delta-v to circularize due to an engineering oversight, so Maenna will have to use her EVA suit to complete the circularization.

nseUzjs.jpg

PgVPy9O.jpg

Circularization successful.

dl0WiuX.jpg

The spacecraft executes several maneuvers to rendezvous with Maenna.

MbcbrQm.jpg

xpf6cOa.jpg

Once Maenna is back on board the Captor 1 spacecraft, the transfer stage is undocked from. It will be de-orbited once back in communications range.

12ok9Y8.jpg

XaPgXgQ.jpg

Returning to Kerbin.

6aYyvud.jpg

Leaving the Mun.

LBhAabw.jpg

BFAlcPZ.jpg

Service module jettison.

iXBj747.jpg

zkcjXYc.jpg

wV50Pjj.jpg

High g forces were experienced on re-entry, but it was otherwise successful.

A1WzwxB.jpg

Parachutes deployed.

5DzBHDz.jpg

Landing successful.

• 2 weeks later...

Captor 3

Captor 3 is a new lander design based on the Captor spacecraft. It is designed to land both crew members on the surface of the Mun, after being transported there by a modified version of the transfer stage used in the previous mission. The Captor 3 spacecraft is launched on a Serket IB. Once again, Valentina and Maenna Kerman are the crew of this launch.

WVdrZsJ.jpg

Spoiler

C1l66rg.jpg

Ignition.

dTmCEn5.jpg

Liftoff.

K0S52ET.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

zNneZ2R.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

AuZ66ms.jpg

rf9y2VA.jpg

CzR2ML3.jpg

First stage cutoff.

o9PUy7D.jpg

First stage separation, nosecone separation.

8ffvOSt.jpg

Second stage ignition.

KB18kuQ.jpg

eChfScl.jpg

FbZqixT.jpg

Fairing separation.

w0TpeYC.jpg

First stage cutoff as 125km apoapsis is reached.

hwF9oOp.jpg

UrDm6NG.jpg

Circularizing.

zOiTEky.jpg

Circularization complete.

HfOcJyw.jpg

Upper stage separation.

With the crew in orbit, the transfer stage can now be launched. The transfer stage is similar to the one used for transporting the Captor 1 spacecraft and open-cockpit lander to Munar orbit, but it has a slightly extended fuel tank, its engines are tuned for greater efficiency rather than high thrust, and it lacks the service bay that contained the lander. The transfer stage is launched on a Titan III.

rBFLKDi.jpg

Spoiler

xuFowtx.jpg

Ignition.

pXQ2ZHW.jpg

Liftoff.

nuBi3L9.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

BzZ9wXP.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

ew9qVUh.jpg

fjBItRs.jpg

phqQO6M.jpg

Booster cutoff.

59dmvYT.jpg

Booster separation.

ShrVsCO.jpg

4FHTQTp.jpg

nPgV5yS.jpg

First stage cutoff.

Ght4O9C.jpg

First stage separation, fairing separation.

gAUvDt0.jpg

Second stage ignition.

pWvZAAC.jpg

y12uOY1.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

yuMX6SC.jpg

Second stage separation.

tBwv8iJ.jpg

The transfer stage engines must be used to circularize and perform the rendezvous maneuvers.

rfJfpAN.jpg

Circularization complete.

6zGFKiQ.jpg

Executing rendezvous maneuvers.

5915vZp.jpg

Approaching the Captor 3 spacecraft.

4yqoFFR.jpg

This was a dangerously close approach, but thankfully it did not result in a collision.

LTQf4IH.jpg

Preparing to dock.

JXCq4ND.jpg

Docking successful.

With the two spacecraft successfully docked in orbit, the mission to land on the Mun can begin.

JXCq4ND.jpg

Spoiler

AAT4QyQ.jpg

Executing Mun transfer burn.

spdoBnc.jpg

The lander looks a little odd here because of a visual bug which causes shrouds to randomly render in the wrong place after unloading and reloading a vessel. I discover later that this bug can be solved by quicksaving and quickloading, but for a while the lander will have several floating shrouds around it. I don't think it detracts too much from the overall appearance though.

KkxNHRp.jpg

mBL3OTb.jpg

Transfer burn complete.

ULzpUWe.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

ve7xnHb.jpg

vQ3z4X0.jpg

Executing orbital insertion burn.

ayN1L8B.jpg

The vehicle is placed into a 30km circular orbit.

EtlmFAi.jpg

After waiting for half an orbit to be on the light side of the Mun for the landing approach, the spacecraft prepares for de-orbit and landing.

SllgLs8.jpg

TSE (transfer stage engines) ignition.

YFRTgks.jpg

TSE cutoff. The transfer stage didn't have much delta-v remaining, but it was enough for the initial de-orbit burn.

lLpSpbK.jpg

Undocking.

gArqEPf.jpg

5mwyp9H.jpg

BKo2SwZ.jpg

DME ignition. The descent module has four vacuum-optimized engines, providing it with a high thrust-to-weight ratio on the Mun as well as good efficiency.

gheNDII.jpg

Q7zfs4s.jpg

hnAdNln.jpg

8TqoNBh.jpg

The view from inside.

From this point, the landing approach is actually my second attempt at landing. I accidentally shut down the engines too early on the first try. The positive of having to retry the landing from a quicksave is that it got rid of the strange bug with the shrouds.

5rwgUOg.jpg

YsCWkX9.jpg

Final landing approach.

IhDIyRc.jpg

Throttling down.

HF5tEN6.jpg

6rDT7OK.jpg

DME cutoff; landing successful.

EAglu09.jpg

The crew disembark.

pkbDB9G.jpg

Obligatory crew selfie with the lander and the flag planted.

It's now time for the crew to return home.

CMHHIkZ.jpg

The crew return to the Captor 3 spacecraft and prepare for ascent.

lTc7c9K.jpg

AME ignition, stage separation, and liftoff.

kfmY2N3.jpg

vacQN3J.jpg

yt1JZUD.jpg

The ascent module engine is identical to the four engines on the lander, though it provides a lesser thrust-to-weight ratio so the ascent is rather slow.

aiG2dkw.jpg

vziMl0h.jpg

Once in orbit, the spacecraft can almost immediately begin the return maneuver. The landing site was chosen partially for this reason.

zOaomKL.jpg

Beginning return maneuver.

AYPNO8Q.jpg

AME cutoff. The ascent module does not have quite enough delta-v to complete the ascent burn, so the RCS on the command module must be used.

10hTMdA.jpg

Ascent module separation.

vglusTY.jpg

JoVbHj4.jpg

With the return maneuver complete, the spacecraft leaves the Mun behind.

uF9vTyg.jpg

Two aerobraking passes will be required to sufficiently slow the spacecraft without enduring excessive g forces.

f0nchjf.jpg

First aerobraking pass.

pOBn1Xa.jpg

Approaching atmosphere for second aerobrake and landing.

IrNTnav.jpg

Second aerobrake.

EhCP4gh.jpg

Aerobraking complete, drogue chute deployed.

hDLCJdp.jpg

Main chute deployed.

hkUgyr7.jpg

Osq3YDD.jpg

Landing successful. Recovery operations can commence.

The Captor program is now being cancelled in favor of the Pyrope Exploration Program. Whilst the technology used by the Captor program has proven itself capable of conducting basic Munar exploration missions, it is only marginally able to succeed, and a need for new technology has been highlighted. Captor-era technology is also likely to be difficult to upgrade for exploration beyond the Mun, whilst the plans for the Pyrope Exploration Program look promising.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.