[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

Hi,
  I like the idea of the mod, and I'd like to be able to play it with RSS/RO/RP-0. What do I need to do to make it work? Right now with Mk1 pod my kerbals survive just 2 days. Do I need to write a MM patch? How does one go about that? Do RO parts need some configs as well? I'm willing to write some stuff if You guys point me in the right direction.

edit:

Like is that correct for a cfg patch?:

@PART[FASAMercuryPod]:NEEDS[FASA]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKerbalHealth
        ecConsumptionPerKerbal = 2
        multiplyFactor = Crowded
        multiplier = 0.5
        crewCap = 1
    }
}

@PART[FASAGeminiPod2]:NEEDS[FASA]
{
    MODULE
    {
        multiplyFactor = Crowded
        multiplier = 0.5
        crewCap = 2
    }
}

@PART[FASAApollo_CM]:NEEDS[FASA]
{
    MODULE
    {
        multiplyFactor = Crowded
        multiplier = 0.5
        crewCap = 3
    }
}

Do I need to let KerbalHealth know about existence of another cfg file?

Edited by AlekM

8 hours ago, AlekM said:

Hi,
  I like the idea of the mod, and I'd like to be able to play it with RSS/RO/RP-0. What do I need to do to make it work? Right now with Mk1 pod my kerbals survive just 2 days. Do I need to write a MM patch? How does one go about that? Do RO parts need some configs as well? I'm willing to write some stuff if You guys point me in the right direction.

edit:

Like is that correct for a cfg patch?:

Do I need to let KerbalHealth know about existence of another cfg file?

I haven't played with RSS/RO, so I can't unfortunately help with balancing the stuff. It doesn't look right, however, that your kerbal survives only 2 days (is that 48 hours?) in a mk1 pod. What version if the mod are you using? How much HP/day does it take?

Your patch looks correct, at least syntax-wise. It's MM, so it should work from any location within GameData. In editor, hover the mouse over the part and see if it shows a "Health Module" in the pop-up.

If you make a complete compatibility patch for RSS/RO, I may include it in the mod (if you don't mind, of course).

I'm using the 0.5.3 on ksp 1.2.2. So mk1 pod has no kerbal health module. I've managed to make FASA pod's play nicely with kerbal health. I have no idea how to adjust the daylength through a MM patch, so I just divided all the factors by 4 via savegame edit. It seems that FASA Mercury pod works well enough. It cool, I've made somthing work :D

You can add the FASA patch, it's not balanced but it seems to work well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/58gg379brcwh9lo/KH-FASA.cfg?dl=0

If I write anything else, I'll post it and feel free to add it to the mod.

8 hours ago, AlekM said:

I'm using the 0.5.3 on ksp 1.2.2. So mk1 pod has no kerbal health module. I've managed to make FASA pod's play nicely with kerbal health. I have no idea how to adjust the daylength through a MM patch, so I just divided all the factors by 4 via savegame edit. It seems that FASA Mercury pod works well enough. It cool, I've made somthing work :D

I see. FYI, since 0.6.2, Kerbal Health uses day duration from game settings, but in older versions, it assumes a 6-hour day. The simplest way to manually adjust the mod is to increase kerbals' HP from 100 to 400 and HP increase per level from 10 to 40. You don't need to edit a savegame for this, just use the Difficulty Settings.

1 hour ago, AlekM said:

What exactly does the "multiplier = 0.5" do in the configs exactly?

It changes the effect of the corresponding factor (e.g. Crowded, or all of them if unspecified).

E.g., if you have 2 kerbals in a 4-seat craft, the Crowded factor will chip off 5 x 2 / 4 = 2.5 HP per day. But if you have a working health module providing 0.5 multiplier for Crowded factor, it will only take 1.25 HP/day. It gets a bit more complicated if you have more crew than your health modules' combined capacity.

• 3 weeks later...

Kerbal Health 0.6.4

• Added: Low health alert will warn you when kerbal's HP falls below a certain level (defined in the settings, 0 to disable)
  • Added: Support for FASA (thanks to AlekM)
  • Added: Support for B9 Aerospace (thanks to fabioita)

Download here

Edited by garwel

So, there is this mod called Ven's stock revamp (VSR) :

It is used with RO/RSS/RP-0. Regardless, it uses Squad's command pods, which have configs in KerbalHealth, but when used with VSR, no health modules appear. I noticed, there is a config file with lines like:

@PART[*]:FOR[zzzVSRPathPatch] {
	@MODEL,* {
		@model ^= :^Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model:VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/1-2:
	}

Does it change the 'general' part names? How do I go about writing a config for that?

7 hours ago, AlekM said:

It is used with RO/RSS/RP-0. Regardless, it uses Squad's command pods, which have configs in KerbalHealth, but when used with VSR, no health modules appear. I noticed, there is a config file with lines like:

@MODEL,* {
		@model ^= :^Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model:VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/1-2:
	}

Does it change the 'general' part names? How do I go about writing a config for that?

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

16 hours ago, AlekM said:

@MODEL,* {
	}

9 hours ago, garwel said:

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

All the above config does is take any part that uses the Mk1-2 Pods model and switch it for the Vens version (the idea being that other mods might use the Squad model and those mods should use Vens version instead). It shouldn't do anything related to Kerbal Heath. However, that isn't to say that some other part of Vens is breaking KH.

So, I like the idea of this mod because I absolutely hate how the stock game punishes you for building reasonably realistically instead of putting a kerbal in an external command seat for a 10 year trip. I've used USI-LS for a long time because of that, but it has some major shortcomings when it comes to landers and transfer vehicles.. namely, when you get to your destination and undock the lander, everyone up and throws in the towel because suddenly they don't have a cot to sleep in for a few minutes.

This mod solves that wonderfully.. but I'm having some major problems with it. First, I had to turn the EC requirements down to something like .1 per kerbal/sec because early game batteries just cannot support a station on the night side of Kerbin without hundreds of batteries. Trying to build a skylab type station with some Bluedog Design Bureau parts, and finding that you need dozens upon dozens of batteries to prevent the life support from shutting down a quarter of the way through the night isn't fun.

Another issue is that the calculator doesn't appear to accurately calculate health drain when a ship isn't focused. If I have my station focused, my kerbals settle in around 65% health and stay there.. slowly gaining and losing health due to the marginal gain granted by 4 cupolas. However, if I go to another ship or KSC and time warp.. they don't get their marginal gain at all. So they die. I also just had a very strange issue where I was doing an apollo style mission. Val stayed behind in the command pod, and two others went down in the LEM. They're a day into the trip (using a 2.5x scale system) on descent, and they more or less ascend again a few minutes after touchdown. I encountered a very strange bug unrelated to this mod that has my maneuver nodes and intercept distances constantly changing (no clue what is doing that, but it's making what should be an intercept I can do in my sleep utterly impossible) and after missing like a half dozen intercepts and having a couple days pass I look at my command pod and see that val is exhausted and for some reason has a health drain of -46. She promptly died, and I reloaded.. focused the command pod, and now she's got a -2.67 drain.. However, now that she's so badly injured she won't survive the trip back. The other two actually have a twice the drain she does (they're at -6 in the LEM) but they're still at half health while Val's almost dead.

Finally gave up and used hyperedit to just bypass this strange intercept bug (seriously.. my apoapsis/periapsis on both vessels is totally steady, but after setting up a maneuver node to give a close intercept it immediately starts changing, the delta-v on the node goes up and down and the intercept distance just keeps rising). Anyway.. docked the two vessels, and Val has like 5 health left. Transfer one of the LEM crew members to the command pod and Val immediately loses her last 5 HP and dies instantly. No clue what happened there, transferring another member over shouldn't do anything to her current health level at all.. just the drain on it over time. I'd have thought that she'd actually have a lower drain too since she wasn't alone anymore.

And another very strange bug. To save Val from this strange bug, I just hyperedited her home. I then did the same to my LEM, though the plan was to dock it with an orbital lab to process the data in LKO. I did so, and my both crew members on the LEM promptly died the moment I docked, even though they were at half health and the other four crew members on the station have happily lived there for a year. 

Edited by Enorats

@Enorats Can you provide an output log or specific reproduction steps for these bugs? Which versions of KSP and the mod do you use? I thought I have solved the issue with unloaded vessels, but it seems more persistent.

I'm in 1.3 KSP, and the KerbalHealth.version file says 0.6.4.0.

As for steps to reproduce, I'm not sure. I just copied my stock KSP game, dropped in mods from my mod game (except for USI-LS) and put kerbal health in instead. Mostly using BDB parts, if that matters at all. The station was entirely out of BDB lab/hab units, and the apollo mission was using their Saturn V remake minus the ullage motors. The mission was an apollo lunar rendezvous profile, that went fine until I realized Val had all but died.. and a bug caused by BetterTimeWarp started screwing with my orbits and rendezvous nodes. Their lossless physics option is.. experimental. That caused me to miss several intercept attempts, leading to several phasing orbits to line up others.. and Val's demise.

As for the demise of the entire station crew and LEM crew upon docking following hyperediting them home.. I can't begin to imagine what happened there.

I'd offer logs, but I deleted that install of KSP after settling on giving Kerbalism a go in my next playthrough.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:09 AM, Enorats said:

I'm in 1.3 KSP, and the KerbalHealth.version file says 0.6.4.0.

As for steps to reproduce, I'm not sure. I just copied my stock KSP game, dropped in mods from my mod game (except for USI-LS) and put kerbal health in instead. Mostly using BDB parts, if that matters at all. The station was entirely out of BDB lab/hab units, and the apollo mission was using their Saturn V remake minus the ullage motors. The mission was an apollo lunar rendezvous profile, that went fine until I realized Val had all but died.. and a bug caused by BetterTimeWarp started screwing with my orbits and rendezvous nodes. Their lossless physics option is.. experimental. That caused me to miss several intercept attempts, leading to several phasing orbits to line up others.. and Val's demise.

As for the demise of the entire station crew and LEM crew upon docking following hyperediting them home.. I can't begin to imagine what happened there.

I'd offer logs, but I deleted that install of KSP after settling on giving Kerbalism a go in my next playthrough.

Just so you know, I am looking into the issue with unloaded vessels. It's been haunting me almost since the mod was even started, and I thought I'd fixed it in 0.6.0, but apparently no. Meanwhile, I found and fixed a probably unrelated bug with EVA. I will also see how well-balanced EC consumption is for health modules.

In the future, please attach output logs and, where sensible, saves to bug reports. It will be even much more useful if you first enable debug mode in the mod settings (it then logs more data).

Edited by garwel

2 hours ago, PaganoCristo said:

I like the concept of this mod, it looks like a simplified KeepFit+KabinKraziness way of playing but.. as soon as I disabled sickness options (set minimum days to 0) ALL of my kerbals at KSC got sick :-(

Looks like a bug. I'll fix it in the next release. Meanwhile, you may set Sickness factor's effect to 0 in the middle column and max out all the sickness-related periods (the latter just to make it bother you with messages as little as possible).

Kerbal Health 0.6.5

• Added: A setting to disable sickness mechanics altogether (note that it doesn't magically cure your kebals, but instead prevents any sickness-related events from triggering and eliminates sickness' effects)
  • Fixed: Marginal health change didn't calculate for unloaded vessels
  • Fixed: NRE when kerbals went on EVA
  • Fixed: Setting Contagion Period to 0 didn't prevent contagion
  • Small UI fixes and improvements

Download here

Edited by garwel

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, pp3d said:

dumb question on my part ... but if I remove the mod... tourists... remain tourists. What's the best way to revert that?

-

You'll have to edit your persistent file (I hope you know how to locate it). Find the relevant kerbal's node in ROSTER>KERBAL and replace the line "trait = Tourist" with the trait you need. In case you forgot it, the old traits are saved in inside KerbalHealthScenario node, as trait.

If Kerbal Health works for you, an easier way will be to change its settings so that exhaustion start and end levels are 0 and wait a few seconds. All the kerbals should revive and then you can safely remove the mod.

10 hours ago, garwel said:

You'll have to edit your persistent file (I hope you know how to locate it). Find the relevant kerbal's node in ROSTER>KERBAL and replace the line "trait = Tourist" with the trait you need. In case you forgot it, the old traits are saved in inside KerbalHealthScenario node, as trait.

If Kerbal Health works for you, an easier way will be to change its settings so that exhaustion start and end levels are 0 and wait a few seconds. All the kerbals should revive and then you can safely remove the mod.

Thanks. I think Ship's manifest mod would do this as well. But I'll try your suggestion first. I removed your mod too soon I guess. The 1.2.2 version is a bit cumbersome and until I move to 1.3 I'll have to wait on this mod. The take away lesson is that this mod should probably not be used for an ongoing game when long missions are already underway and no health considerations were factored in the ships' design. Thank you for your reply.

ps: Just a feedback point: Kerbals on missions elsewhere on Kerbin also will suffer health reduction and may turn to tourists. That's alright but it's a bit frustrating that they can not go on EVA.

11 hours ago, pp3d said:

Thanks. I think Ship's manifest mod would do this as well. But I'll try your suggestion first. I removed your mod too soon I guess. The 1.2.2 version is a bit cumbersome and until I move to 1.3 I'll have to wait on this mod. The take away lesson is that this mod should probably not be used for an ongoing game when long missions are already underway and no health considerations were factored in the ships' design. Thank you for your reply.

ps: Just a feedback point: Kerbals on missions elsewhere on Kerbin also will suffer health reduction and may turn to tourists. That's alright but it's a bit frustrating that they can not go on EVA.

Yes, like with any life support-related mod, you should plan your missions very carefully and in advance, otherwise you risk losing your kerbals. With Kerbin, the health reduction is usually small (consider it being the result of general work stress and crowdedness of the pod). But if you give them a little bit more space, you can eliminate it. However, kerbals still won't be able to stay on EVA indefinitely.