Nils277

[1.2.2] Feline Utility Rovers v0.4.1 [4. Mar 2017]

313 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I just wanted to chime in and argue against using scienceMultiplier as balance in any way.  It has a very important problem, that means in effect it should never be varied from stock in my opinion:

It's completely non-discoverable in-game.

Nothing in the game even hints that it even *can* change.  So changing it is just pulling pranks on the player, because they don't know you've done anything.  Change the processing rate, change how much science it can hold, but the multiplier should be treated as a black box that the player can't account for.

Just because the one stock part that has a science converter uses one value doesn't mean that modders should feel constrained to never use anything other than that value. 

It's there to be used. If it were not meant to be used then it would be a hard coded value and not read from the config.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Just because the one stock part that has a science converter uses one value doesn't mean that modders should feel constrained to never use anything other than that value. 

It's there to be used. If it were not meant to be used then it would be a hard coded value and not read from the config.

It's not about the one stock part using one value.

It's about there being no interface for the player to *read* that value.  The fact that the value can change will surprise users - and will only be apparent once science labs have been deployed, and then they are as likely to think it's a bug with the modded part than that it's intentional.

If there were a better interface to see that it existed, I would have no trouble with using it.  But it's completely hidden from the player.

5 hours ago, Sebra said:

You mean this?

oriCoCY.jpg

I'll admit I never put that together with that function.  Which partly proves my point, though not entirely.

I will still maintain that not seeing it in the VAB means it's very hard for the users to make balance decisions - whether that extra mass or cost is worth it.

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I'll admit I never put that together with that function.  Which partly proves my point, though not entirely.

I will still maintain that not seeing it in the VAB means it's very hard for the users to make balance decisions - whether that extra mass or cost is worth it.

One option, though not a perfect one, is to mention it explicitly in the part description.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

One option, though not a perfect one, is to mention it explicitly in the part description.

I had that thought too. That gives it more visibility than if it were to be added into the info panel and that's the only other way you'd get that information conveyed to you as a player. At least in the editor.

Any chance that the creator makes a ramp for the open cargo section? The normal cargo bays are quite small for a smaller rover unless it is really really tiny. I wanted to carry an Akita in the open bed of the lyns, but can't have a ramp for it :(

15 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I can't help but smile at the irony of that.

hmm, what irony? 

15 hours ago, Sebra said:

It was three "П" I suppose. :D

No it was more like  (tan(0.785398163) • THUMB • volumeMobileLab /  arcsin(-2π) • TOE • volumeBigLab) • ei•π. Sorry i was a bit harsh yesterday, have been a bit stressed out lately :wink: Maybe i should change it to maybe 5 times slower. Anything more would be a bit overpowered in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Darkona said:

Any chance that the creator makes a ramp for the open cargo section? The normal cargo bays are quite small for a smaller rover unless it is really really tiny. I wanted to carry an Akita in the open bed of the lyns, but can't have a ramp for it :(

Already planned.

@DStaal, @Starwaster, @Merkov the obscurity of the scienceMultiplier is indeed a problem. A tough call what to do with that...adding a "warning" in the description would be really needed when i keept it at 4 instead of 5 science per data...Maybe the slower conversion and the missing ability to "level up" Kerbals is enough to make the MobileLab not too overpowered 

Edited by Nils277

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@DStaal, @Starwaster, @Merkov the obscurity of the scienceMultiplier is indeed a problem. A tough call what to do with that...adding a "warning" in the description would be really needed when i keept it at 4 instead of 5 science per data...Maybe the slower conversion and the missing ability to "level up" Kerbals is enough to make the MobileLab not too overpowered 

What we really need is a plugin that alters the module info readout in the VAB...  (And then for it to be rolled into stock.)

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

What we really need is a plugin that alters the module info readout in the VAB...  (And then for it to be rolled into stock.)

Aren't players going to be less likely to read the info than the description, rather than more?

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Aren't players going to be less likely to read the info than the description, rather than more?

Maybe - but the description on most parts is flavor only: No real info.  (Not all parts, but most - including the stock parts.)  The info blocks are where you get details.

1 person likes this

To me, this is basically a combination of the Bobcat and Caribou series' and I LOVE IT! I EXACTLY LOVE IT!