Nils277

[1.2.2] Feline Utility Rovers v0.4.1 [4. Mar 2017]

313 posts in this topic

@Nils277 What do you think about separating the window meshes to a separate object and adding a specular material to them?

Or if you know how to make specular maps, you could apply the specular material to the whole vessel and only windows will be shiny.

They look too flat and fake right now in my opinion.

Edited by Enceos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@Nils277 What do you think about separating the window meshes to a separate object and adding a specular material to them?

Or if you know how to make specular maps, you could apply the specular material to the whole vessel and only windows will be shiny.

They look too flat and fake right now in my opinion.

They are already a separate mesh which is slightly more specular. Will turn up the specular light up for the next update. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nils277 The good choice for comparison are the windows on stock parts:

xazgnCa.png

Btw, I absolutely adore your IVA interiors. They're so cozy, I love spending time there during travels :3

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Update: Just tested with Hot Spot and everything works for me. I saw that it adds it's own module to each and every part, so there might be a confict between the mods. Can you send me a logfile when you have a rover with Hot Spot where the hitch/joint cannot be unlocked? This will help me find the reason for the potential conflict.

I returned HotSpot mod to my install and your flex joints work just fine too. Now, I'm totally frustrated. Before I removed it last time the part dialog showed "Status: Inoperable" and the junction was always stiff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Horus said:

I returned HotSpot mod to my install and your flex joints work just fine too. Now, I'm totally frustrated. Before I removed it last time the part dialog showed "Status: Inoperable" and the junction was always stiff.

The inoperable state appears when something goes seriously wrong...E.g. the node of the part itself does not exist or a new joint can't be created (what should actually never ever happen) Maybe it was the way the rover was built...E.g. even the sequence in which the parts are added in the VAB. Can you by any chance remember how you build the rover? 

Edited by Nils277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Can you by any chance remember how you build the rover? 

Silly me. I found what was really causing the problem.

http://imgur.com/a/2zArO

 

NB (for myself): never forget basic QA rules. Like - never rollback several steps at a time...

 

UPD: removing the part that blocks flex joints feature does require game restart. The issues persists until then even if the blocking part removed & craft reloaded. A massive NRE spam.

If the game restarted & the craft with the blocking part is outside SPH (spawned where you left if) - the error does not show.

Edited by Horus
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Horus said:

Silly me. I found what was really causing the problem.

http://imgur.com/a/2zArO

 

NB (for myself): never forget basic QA rules. Like - never rollback several steps at a time...

 

UPD: removing the part that blocks flex joints feature does require game restart. The issues persists until then even if the blocking part removed & craft reloaded. A massive NRE spam.

If the game restarted & the craft with the blocking part is outside SPH (spawned where you left if) - the error does not show.

Can you please post a log of tje NRE spam?  The NRE and persistent error even after reloading is definitely something I have to fix rather sooner than later.

I'm quiete curious what that error might be, I can't think of any reason right now which causes the error to persist even after loading..

 

Edited by Nils277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That look's very well, i love that texturing an IVA! But i have one problem- ball joint didn't work as ball joint (i didn't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm, IR is not officially supporting 1.2 yet. But i will see what can be done. I definitely want the keep the partcount low and an adapter for each system (MKS, KPBS, Pathfinder) will be too much. 

Alright then.

Also, I just noticed that you have a shower in the airlock of the crew module. XD

While a good use of space, it's sort of dangerous. One latch malfunction and your shower will get quite cold!

... or quite hot. Depending on where you are.

Edited by Raptor22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see some chassis parts with built-in solar panels so I don't have to ruin the Lynx's sleek lines with panels on the roof. Or maybe there is one already and I just don't have it unlocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

I'd love to see some chassis parts with built-in solar panels so I don't have to ruin the Lynx's sleek lines with panels on the roof. Or maybe there is one already and I just don't have it unlocked.

No, there is not one. You can hide folding panels, RTGs, and fuel cells away in service bays.

4 hours ago, MatGames said:

That look's very well, i love that texturing an IVA! But i have one problem- ball joint didn't work as ball joint (i didn't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement).

They don't flex much. You'll only see a lot of twisting when you make long rover trains. 

BTW, that's one of the many things this rover system is very useful for. They're similar to the road trains found in Australia.

Gallery_16_fs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Alright then.

Also, I just noticed that you have a shower in the airlock of the crew module. XD

While a good use of space, it's sort of dangerous. One latch malfunction and your shower will get quite cold!

... or quite hot. Depending on where you are.

That could function as a decon/rinsing shower, too. :wink:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MatGames said:

That look's very well, i love that texturing an IVA! But i have one problem- ball joint didn't work as ball joint (i didn't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement).

Have you right clicked on the active hitch in flight to unlock it?

There should be an option to unlock. You can also see the status of the hitch there which should read unlocked.

@Raptor22 and @MatGames the amount of twisting can also be adjusted by the spring and damping values of the hitch. And deactivate the steering of all wheels on the trailer. Otherwise the twisting will be very small

5 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

I'd love to see some chassis parts with built-in solar panels so I don't have to ruin the Lynx's sleek lines with panels on the roof. Or maybe there is one already and I just don't have it unlocked.

I already have solar panels in the list of planned part that fit in line with the rover.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small bugfix update for FUR:

Changelog:

Quote

0.1.1

Enhancements

  • The windows look more like glass now                          

Bug Fixes

  • Corrected texture on the Bellowed Joint
  • Fixed compatibility problem with RemoteTech

Download:

qYx9XCm.png%5D m2mGwCV.png yF5F5Cc.png

 

There are no new parts yet sorry. (Because i'm currently working on something that i wanted to add to KPBS for a long time)

Edited by Nils277
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really great mod, thanks @Nils277

the more i work with it, the greater it is.

cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

Hey does this work with Kerbalism? @Nils277

Not yet. Support for the major LS mods will be added in the future. (Also stands in the OP :wink:)

Edited by Nils277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, scratch that about rover trains. I edited the config for KJR and the trailers go nuts. They just swing all over the place, even when locked! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Raptor22 Can you show a sceenshot (or better a video) of that? The swinging should'nt be there at all when the hitches are locked.

Have you tried increasing the spring and damping values from the right click menu? They are there for a reason :wink:
Btw. the "caterpillar" seen in the gallery linked in the OP works just fine. You just have to be careful that you don't drive too fast (10-15 m/s max) 

Edited by Nils277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have tried increasing the dampening, disabling steering and motors, all of that. Now I was driving pretty fast. I wish that there was a manual motor limiter, so I wouldn't have to feather the W key so much. 

I'll mess around with it some more when I get home from school (and get around 4 outlines done. I hate AP human geography. Interesting class, but too much work.) I can always mess with the KJR config.

also, what's this "caterpillar" you mention?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Yes, I have tried increasing the dampening, disabling steering and motors, all of that. Now I was driving pretty fast. I wish that there was a manual motor limiter, so I wouldn't have to feather the W key so much. 

I'll mess around with it some more when I get home from school (and get around 4 outlines done. I hate AP human geography. Interesting class, but too much work.) I can always mess with the KJR config.

also, what's this "caterpillar" you mention?  

The "caterpillar" was just a name i came up with for a rover with many joints that somehow looked like a caterpillar:

zPB1Otg.png

Edited by Nils277
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. I see.

Also, I came up with an idea for a part:

A low-profile water jet/screw for water travel. I experimented with mods like KAX and Firespitter, but the propellers were too weak. They have long, thin blades meant for air, instead of short, broad blades for water. It'd be awesome to make this an amphibious vehicle.

It'd be useful for some parts of Laythe, where the islands are only short hops away from each other. 

It'd also be helpful for getting you out of the water. One time I screwed up a landing on Laythe and landed 10km off shore. But with the props, I was able to slowly make my way back. The rover floats quite well.

Later I'll post a picture of one of the amphibious rovers I made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I don't have any good recording software. Still messing around with things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question about those bendy joints. Is it possible to make them moar flexible?

The reason im asking is because I wanna try to build jetways, and that part is perfect... but it moves left-right only by few degrees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dr.Wolfram you can to this in the config of the files: 

Either GameData/KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Coupling/HitchActive.cfg or GameData/KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Utility/JointBellowed.cfg. There you find the following:

    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKerbetrotterHitch
        jointLimits = 20,10,30
        jointDamping = 1
        jointSpring = 50
        referenceTransformNames = Reference1, Reference2
        referenceNodeNames = front, back
    }

what you want the change is jointLimits. Any positive number sets the maximal angle in degress for the axes. A zero locks the joint permanently in this axis. With a -1 the joint has no limits on that axis.
Be careful with the no limits setting though :wink: 

Edited by Nils277
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now