1.3 And More: Confirmed Features

I'd like to see a stock LS. Something simple but extensible. But really, graphics and sound overhaul. I keep having to clean my keyboard when I load up an un-modded KSP with stock uggo planets and sad sound effects.  :PEVE/SVE/realplume/chatterer add SO MUCH to the experience!

Edited by Death Engineering

On 1/28/2017 at 3:27 AM, MR L A said:

No mention of it for the second dev update running... call me pessimistic but I think whatever it was has been dropped already :( 

And even if it hasn't been dropped, history has taught us that SQUAD likes to vastly overhype their "secret" stuff.

Personally I suspect a revamp of the rocket parts, visual overhaul, improved performance and more focus on improving the Career mode.

What would I like to see?

• Basic weather systems including wind, clouds and rain.
  • One or two more planets in the solar system and moons to fit
  • A visual overhaul of the whole planetary system, including more surface features (especially on some of the outer worlds, Duna, Laythe, Bop, Eeloo)

I'm not keeping my hopes up for any of the above though, I think they are out of the realm of what squad is doing at the moment.

On 21/01/2017 at 7:42 PM, Garrett Kerman said:

So, squad has been recently talking about a super secret new feature in the devnotes, and I'm curious as to what it is. I would love to see what you think, and maybe group up some scattered facts to help build a conclusion. So, what do you think?

My speculation:

1. Gas Planet Two and maybe more outer planets.

2. Real looking plumes.

3. Planetary systems outside of Kerbol.

3.5 parts to go along with interstellar travel

4. Life support

What do you think?

It would be a truly impeccable addition having a new planetary system outside of the current solar system, however, how would they model to an accurate degree, the vast distances?

16 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

It would be a truly impeccable addition having a new planetary system outside of the current solar system, however, how would they model to an accurate degree, the vast distances?

If mods can do it, SQUAD can. 

1 hour ago, RatchetinSpace said:

Personally I suspect a revamp of the rocket parts, visual overhaul, improved performance and more focus on improving the Career mode.

What would I like to see?

• Basic weather systems including wind, clouds and rain.
  • One or two more planets in the solar system and moons to fit
  • A visual overhaul of the whole planetary system, including more surface features (especially on some of the outer worlds, Duna, Laythe, Bop, Eeloo)

I'm not keeping my hopes up for any of the above though, I think they are out of the realm of what squad is doing at the moment.

Basic weather systems: Yes, but I'd like to have them toggleable.

More planets: Meh. I'd rather the devs took the time to make the current planets better before adding more.

Visual overhaul: YES YES YES! This is a much-needed addition that is horribly overdue.

:) 

If they do a Life Support system I'd prefer if they didn't have it set up the way most of the mods do where if a mission's resources run out its crew dies. Stock KSP doesn't allow very precise mission planning and probably never will, and the effective immortality of Kerbals is a good way to offset that. Instead, I'd like a system where if you keep a Kerbal cooped up in a tiny capsule with no snacks for too long they start to lost the benefits of their level-ups (i.e. a pilot would lose SAS levels, a scientist wouldn't be able to research as quickly in a Mobile Lab, etc.) and you would need to either bring them back to Kerbin or transfer them to an exceptionally well-equipped vessel for them to recover. That would provide incentive to have extra food/living space/etc. on long-term missions but would still be fairly forgiving.

I want two things that aren't really likely to happen

1. the revamp of the career system like in the thread @Veeltch started, all of the ideas are AWESOME (especially mine :P)
  2. better comnet, or something to make the comnet less confusing, I still use remote tech more then the stock system, in a career I had I had to DISABLE it because I couldn't set it up, remote tech is better, straight up.
Edited by StupidAndy

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, Death Engineering said:

I'd like to see a stock LS. Something simple but extensible. But really, graphics and sound overhaul. I keep having to clean my keyboard when I load up an un-modded KSP with stock uggo planets and sad sound effects.  :PEVE/SVE/realplume/chatterer add SO MUCH to the experience!

Given that @RoverDude is part of squad staff (to some extent, given his little name under his picture) maybe they could add USI LS into the mix like they did with the spaceplane mod all those versions ago.

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I want two things that aren't really likely to happen

1. the revamp of the career system like in the thread @Veeltch started, all of the ideas are AWESOME (especially mine :P)
  2. better comnet, or something to make the comnet less confusing, I still use remote tech more then the stock system, in a career I had I had to DISABLE it because I couldn't set it up, remote tech is better, straight up.

You have to put relay dishes up in space...thats it really, is that confusing? :huh:

Something almost certain to be in 1.3 is upgradable parts via the tech tree.  The functionality was added but not implemented recently and the next step would be to utilize it. This may come with a science point / tech tree revamp, but not necessarily. 

It would be neat if they added a life support update which difficulty ranged from something like no LS, to Snacks, to USI, to TAC, to Kerbalism.

This is the last time I am going to say this about DV readouts in stock. For years people have been asking for it. More than 75% of this community wants it. But it hasn't been added yet. Why? Because the Dev's don't want to put it in the game. They want you to do the maths on your own. It really isn't that hard! The only point I see in adding these readouts into the stock game is because sometimes it becomes tedious when you have to calculate every single stage's DV individually. This where it becomes more than just a video game because you are using maths and taking your time to design a rocket like a real engineer. So no. I do not think DV and TWR readouts should be in stock game.

So for 1.3, I hope we get more rocket parts, more station/ground base parts, maybe a life support feature, more rover parts would be nice, and some robotic parts maybe.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

If they do a Life Support system I'd prefer if they didn't have it set up the way most of the mods do where if a mission's resources run out its crew dies. Stock KSP doesn't allow very precise mission planning and probably never will, and the effective immortality of Kerbals is a good way to offset that. Instead, I'd like a system where if you keep a Kerbal cooped up in a tiny capsule with no snacks for too long they start to lost the benefits of their level-ups (i.e. a pilot would lose SAS levels, a scientist wouldn't be able to research as quickly in a Mobile Lab, etc.) and you would need to either bring them back to Kerbin or transfer them to an exceptionally well-equipped vessel for them to recover. That would provide incentive to have extra food/living space/etc. on long-term missions but would still be fairly forgiving.

Like this?

Fire

After screwing around with planes a bit today, I want Quad to improve EVA movement so that Kerbals will more easily switch from one ladder to another. It was annoying having to get the positioning of my ladder exactly right so that my Kerbal would actually use it after leaving the hatch instead of just jumping down to the surface.

1 hour ago, JedTech said:

I hope it is nothing bug bugfixes and things to help modders mod.

Even better, I pray that they will make Kerbal open source so we can take over.

open source will never happen, like other people said, SQUAD is a business, they just aren't going to give away their biggest moneymaker

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

6 hours ago, Firemetal said:

It would be neat if they added a life support update which difficulty ranged from something like no LS, to Snacks, to USI, to TAC, to Kerbalism.

This is the last time I am going to say this about DV readouts in stock. For years people have been asking for it. More than 75% of this community wants it. But it hasn't been added yet. Why? Because the Dev's don't want to put it in the game. They want you to do the maths on your own. It really isn't that hard! The only point I see in adding these readouts into the stock game is because sometimes it becomes tedious when you have to calculate every single stage's DV individually. This where it becomes more than just a video game because you are using maths and taking your time to design a rocket like a real engineer. So no. I do not think DV and TWR readouts should be in stock game.

So for 1.3, I hope we get more rocket parts, more station/ground base parts, maybe a life support feature, more rover parts would be nice, and some robotic parts maybe.

Like this?

Fire

I'd prefer USI LS over Snacks. too easy :P. (no offence to anyone who likes Snacks better)

6 hours ago, JedTech said:

I hope it is nothing bug bugfixes and things to help modders mod.

Even better, I pray that they will make Kerbal open source so we can take over.

The day they make the game open source, is also the day that they state that Squad is shutting down permanently, and that would be bad :P.

I prefer Kerbalism, but I have to take out the comnet settings It has, so the LS is good, but the rest is meh

I prefer TAC LS for LS, but for cool looking ships and complex LS I would have to go with kerbalism

I also hope the feature is something like final frontier, my favorite mod!

Our only hints are:

- It's a bigger feature that takes time to develop.
- They think we're going to like it.
- It is something that can be hooked into by Nightingale as a programmer (and he's enthusiastic about it apparently). (Januari 21st ksp weekly)
- It is something Nightingale is enthusiastic about as a player. (Januari 21st ksp weekly)

So, going by the OP with these as reasonable criteria:
1: Gas planet two and outer planets --> not something that a dev would be enthusiastic about 'hooking into'.
2: Real looking plumes --> Again, not really hookable in such an enthusiastic way. Also seems too small for so much hype.
3 & 3.5: Interstellar stuff --> Outside scope of game. Mod-territory.
4: Life-support --> Possibly, but my feature senses aren't really tingling for this one.

Later posts:
New easter egg: too small, not something that can be 'hooked into'.
Hats for Kerbals as paid DLC.... :P
Stock Multiplayer: It sounds to me like they're teasing a gameplay mechanic. Also, I don't think MP is the first thing one would tackle with a largely new team. Also, it's pretty high up my list on 'things that are never going to happen'.
Career addition: Very well possible.
Rocket Part Overhaul: While neat, they stated it was put on hold until further notice. Again, not really hookable.
Ships: I think it's a slim chance. Feature senses not tingling. Also not really hookable.
Electric props: Could be, but not really something to 'hook into'.
Part upgrade system: Very well possible.
Delta-V readout: Seems too small and unhookable.
Basic Weather Systems: Possibly, but it's not really a feature that promotes a lot of gameplay. Perhaps some difficulty, and yes it would be nice, but I wouldn't hype it this much.
New planets: See gas planet two.
Visual overhaul: I suspect it's going to be a gameplay feature.
Career revamp: This is actually really high on my list of possible things they are working on.
Better comnet: It works fine without being too complicated. Don't think it'll be this.
EVA-suits using monopropellant from tanks: Seems not really something to be hyping this much.
Science-point / tech tree revamp: Very well possible.
More parts: Possibly, but I suspect 'more parts' is going to be a result of the feature they are developing, not the core.
Nothing but bugfixes: Not something you hype as a new feature.
Open sourcing: Insulting to mention to the devs, please mind your manners, and at least wait what this update will entail before judging.
Improved EVA-movement: Sounds more like a bugfix to me.
Final-Frontier-like feature: I dunno. Feature senses definitely not tingling.

Going by the criteria posted above, I really think we should be looking in the direction of a more major feature. Something mods can hook into and have fun with. Something players can be entusiastic about. That leaves only a few of the above suggestions standing:
- Life support
- Career revamp
- Visual overhaul
- Science/tech tree revamp

I consider the career overhaul the most likely. And that may entail more features than just contracts. The new weighted contract system obviously doesn't work that well, and they have said something about a 'story mode' in the past. More motivation, more logical contract-systems, more logical strategies... Beating some sense into the career system, and also making it modular enough for modders to hook into with their own (extended?) 'campaigns'. This may even include the science system and tech tree...

That's my bet. But obviously, it may be something completely unrelated. Speculating is fun :D

Edit:
Also, why they are so 'slow'? I suspect they first want the console versions up-to-date and working a lot better. I suspect that is where attention is now, and I also suspect that is why we're a little dry on info currently. They are concepting the system, but not really working on it yet.

Edited by Merandix

If they are teasing about things you can hook up to maybe it's lifesupport modules you can literally hook up to or stuff for more advanced refueling like the mods that let you hook up a pipe with a kerbal.

I would love multiplayer lifesupport and robotic parts... I would love just about everything. And would love to get everything. 8)

Edit: maybe it's that old launch tower but with the added features of actually fueling your rockets. And maybe rockets will actually have to roll out to the launch facilities and hook up and fuel etc. So, maybe realism overhauls!

That is one of the best things they can do for this game. Add depth. Just keep adding this little things not in the game in mass and see what else is needed/missing and keep adding!

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.