Whats up with the lime grass in the early days of some games?

NSEP

13 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I take it by 'the early days of games' you mean the early days of a specific game, not in the 1970s.

And I do not know.

I will change the name :wink:

4 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I don't know why, but I wish that they had it in more games. It makes them feel older and also better when they make it actually grass colored. :D 

I agree, the lime grass just makes older versions of games look more "nostalgic". And when KSP made the grass darker, i thought the switch was bigger than it actually was.

15 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I like the lime color as it's more bright and vibrant. Maybe less realistic but far more interesting.

Yup, the fancy color makes the game alot happier too. 

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Yup, the fancy color makes the game alot happier too. 

Yeah i notice this in a few games. The grass makes a big difference to my mood when i play the game.

Some examples:

In Total War Rome 2 the grass is quite nice and green but in Atilla Total war it is dark and sets the mood for the era

In Mount and Blade Warband, the grass is really bright and green but in the Viking Conquest expansion it is really dull.

In KSP i also noticed it but not as much because the grass around the KSC is still quite a bright shade of green.

7 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Ah, the colour of Zelda 1 :P 

But really, maybe most game devs can relate back to when games had 16-256 colours and that influences their choices until a designer takes charge of the visuals?

In the 8-16 bit age palette size was an major issue but that is long ago. 
Early 3d games had primitive shaders making dark colors harder to display right, an dark ground could easy be too dark if the light level was low.

However part is art style, same as metal far to often is rusted hard. 
Lawns are bright green, An field of grass is not bright green but has lot of brown and yellow, now add some flowers to lighten it up. 

40 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Lawns are bright green, An field of grass is not bright green but has lot of brown and yellow, now add some flowers to lighten it up. 

This however is the thought process of a designer/artist. To my experience (admittedly about 10 colleagues) the average software dev has no sense of colour whatsoever, and is likely to pick a harsh colour that they associate from other software/games, rather than anything that relates to reality.

Until you involve someone who knows what things actually look like, you get strange and over-saturated colourscapes.

IMHO :P 

36 minutes ago, eddiew said:

This however is the thought process of a designer/artist. To my experience (admittedly about 10 colleagues) the average software dev has no sense of colour whatsoever, and is likely to pick a harsh colour that they associate from other software/games, rather than anything that relates to reality.

Until you involve someone who knows what things actually look like, you get strange and over-saturated colourscapes.

IMHO :P 

Software developers usually don't create ground texture, that is a work for  graphical artists, they also have their own ideas who might well be weird.  
KSP might not have separate artists in the start, no reason for the ground to look realistic in ksp either 

On 1/23/2017 at 9:11 AM, magnemoe said:

Software developers usually don't create ground texture, that is a work for  graphical artists, they also have their own ideas who might well be weird.  
KSP might not have separate artists in the start, no reason for the ground to look realistic in ksp either 

Also, programmers are lazy (the good ones are, at least), and that is what "all green and nothing else" looks like on a computer.

https://www.google.com/#q=rgb+0+255+0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.