[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

@Nils277 and @CobaltWolf I have found a very small redundancy with SEP and KPBS.

My VAB currently shows the SEP Central Station wedge twice (two different parts with slightly different descriptions). I'm assuming both KPBS and SEP include the part in their installs, but I could easily be wrong. Do they both function exactly the same? IMO it would be nice if the SEP Central Station wedge was only be bundled with one or the other to eliminate a duplicate. My vote would be to bundle it with KPBS.

Just thought I would let you both know. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into these mods.

5 minutes ago, Hofelinger said:

@Nils277 and @CobaltWolf I have found a very small redundancy with SEP and KPBS.

My VAB currently shows the SEP Central Station wedge twice (two different parts with slightly different descriptions). I'm assuming both KPBS and SEP include the part in their installs, but I could easily be wrong. Do they both function exactly the same? IMO it would be nice if the SEP Central Station wedge was only be bundled with one or the other to eliminate a duplicate. My vote would be to bundle it with KPBS.

Just thought I would let you both know. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into these mods.

Nope, we don't have anything to do with the SEP central station wedge. It's not in our download.

8 minutes ago, Hofelinger said:

You wouldn't happen to be using my KPBStoMKS pack by any chance, would you?  It re-uses that model for a power distribution part.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems RemoteTech doesn't like SEP any more.  Even with the Telegraph, I also can't get signal from the Mun setup I have.  Removing RemoteTech fixes this - but then breaks my save.  Derp.

Also seems to be causing issues with Galactic Neighborhood and a few other mods as well, so I know which one I'm removing.

May I humbly request making a note about RT + SEP apparently breaking SEP on the OP?

Edited by Zenithas

Something is failing with the timing functionality.  Specifically, I set out seven experiments; the longest duration was 10 days.  I set Kerbal Alarm Clock for that period.  When KAC notified me the time was completed, I opened the SEP control panel from the KSC.  It indicated the experiment still had 8 days to run.  I reset KAC for 8 days.  Eight days later, I opened SEP control panel; the experiment indicated it still had 4 days to run.

This problem has happened multiple times with multiple experiment types.

Eventually, with patience, the experiments complete.  I like SEP and have used it since it's inception when placing experiments on the surface caused explosions.  I got around that problem by placing the experiment on the head of the Kerbal.  Didn't have the Central Unit then, so that wasn't a problem.

Edited by Apollo13

@Apollo13 There are two factors that can affect experiment time during normal use.

Was the SEP vessel loaded at any time while you were waiting? Some of the experiments require power, so they can sometimes stop in the night.

Is CommNet active? The connection status affects experiment time, the status is indicated in the SEP window.

If neither of those apply then it's possible something is wrong. This will probably need some attention when KSP 1.3 comes around.

Ahhh...night time.  Of course!  At this point, it is 3am and there is no longer power.  However, you'll note that the Seismic experiment is not requiring power.  Other experiments do indicate "Not enough electric power", such as the Cool-Cathode Neutral Ion Detector.  When there was power, the CommNet was active.  However, also at this point, CommNet is down due to lack of power.  When the sun rose, the experiment time dropped to 4 days and CommNet was re-established.

So, DMagic, you may be on to something.

QL8rlLq.png

Edited by Apollo13

On 05/04/2017 at 10:11 PM, DMagic said:

Was the SEP vessel loaded at any time while you were waiting? Some of the experiments require power, so they can sometimes stop in the night.

Is CommNet active? The connection status affects experiment time, the status is indicated in the SEP window.

It actually happens even with the vessel uloaded, I have commsat that give 100% equatorail Mun coverage also. But I'm not complaining, I thought that it was actuallly a feature, and was actually calculating power even unloaded.

I kind like it this way :P 

On 07/04/2017 at 7:46 PM, Sigma88 said:

what kind of issues are you experiencing?

For RemoteTech?  Random line of sight/cone angle breaks when in the SOI of any GN-created or altered body, including when leaving the influence of Kerbin to orbit the Sun (one moment, full connection on an 88, next there's apparently no connection and my probe is freefalling).  Forced me into a 'manned only' outset.

Haven't any logs for it, unfortunately, which I'm pretty sure would've been the useful part.

4 minutes ago, Zenithas said:

For RemoteTech?  Random line of sight/cone angle breaks when in the SOI of any GN-created or altered body, including when leaving the influence of Kerbin to orbit the Sun (one moment, full connection on an 88, next there's apparently no connection and my probe is freefalling).  Forced me into a 'manned only' outset.

Haven't any logs for it, unfortunately, which I'm pretty sure would've been the useful part.

do you have any screenshots?

2 minutes ago, Raphaello said:

I can't get golf club (AKI-G09 Physical Areodynamics and Gravitation Test) to function at all and I think I tried everything by now. I have just accepted a contract to run experiment with it in KSC but can't run it.

How does it work?

You put it in a Kerbal's inventory, have them equip it on EVA, and then zoom in and click on it to run the experiment.

It's one of those things that's easy once you know how - but hard to figure out if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's premature at this point to post this on my end, but this is not working for me, even though i am doing - at least I think I am - everything by the book. I use the engineer to attach the power station to the ground using the wrench, connect the solar panels and connect/link to an experiment (any experiment) using that screwdriver. Then a scientist rolls in and tries to activate the experiments after it turns on the power station (which has enough electric charge). To no avail though.. the experiment remains inactive. I have just reinstalled SEP 2.1.4 with KAS 0.6.2 and KIS 1.4.3 and I am retesting to produce some videos to post - in the hopes that someone will notice something not obvious to me. 

Edited by pp3d
zip file says 1.4 but the unzipped SEO was indeed SEP_v2.1.4

6 hours ago, pp3d said:

The video, as promised above. Experiment stays inactive. Some mod might be conflicting.... i don't know.

Yay!  I can help someone!  So, you almost had it.  When you right clicked the retroreflector, there was an option that said "Calibrate."  Do that first with your scientist, then hit the button that says start whatever experiment.  I didn't see any solar panels attached to your SEP part, and that'll matter, too.

3 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

Yay!  I can help someone!  So, you almost had it.  When you right clicked the retroreflector, there was an option that said "Calibrate."  Do that first with your scientist, then hit the button that says start whatever experiment.  I didn't see any solar panels attached to your SEP part, and that'll matter, too.

First of all thank you. At 2:44 the scientist did hit calibrate but did not change the status (still remain inactive). Start all experiments from the the sep power unit does nothing. A clean install of the game and progressively adding mods would probably id the problem, unfortunately i do not have that much time. My best guess is probably Pathfinder conflicts but not easy to test this on an on going game. I'll see if the logs can help DMagic.. if he is willing to help.

33 minutes ago, pp3d said:

First of all thank you. At 2:44 the scientist did hit calibrate but did not change the status (still remain inactive). Start all experiments from the the sep power unit does nothing. A clean install of the game and progressively adding mods would probably id the problem, unfortunately i do not have that much time. My best guess is probably Pathfinder conflicts but not easy to test this on an on going game. I'll see if the logs can help DMagic.. if he is willing to help.

Ah, gotcha.  Dunno if it's Pathfinder, I use it as well and don't have any issues, even have my SEP station plugged up to a Pathfinder base right now.  Only real difference I see between your setup and mine that might have any effect is that I make sure to include an antenna on my base and solar panels and one of the batteries before I get as far as turning things on.  Maybe try adding an extended communication unit and power and see if that fixes anything before you start uninstalling stuff?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.