Editing Kerbin Ground Antennas through Config?

Opus_723

I'm trying to rebalance the relay antennas to my preferences by tweaking the antenna ratings in the config files. Specifically, the RA-15 seems kind of useless to me, since I can cover Kerbin's SOI quite well with the RA-2s but the RA-15 can only go a frustratingly small fraction of the way around Kerbin's orbit.

I successfully boosted the RA-15's performance so that I can just manage to bounce signals between 4 relays in Kerbin's orbit spaced at 90 degree angles and then on to Duna or Eve. But I'm still dissatisfied as boosting the relays ability to communicate with each other by increasing their antenna ratings also greatly boosts their connection with the Tracking Station. I only tweaked the antenna rating from 15G to 20G, but now the relay at Duna has a fantastic connection straight to the Tracking Station with no need for a wider network, which kind of removes the challenge completely.

So I've realized that what I really want is a weaker tracking station but to compensate with better mid-game relays. That seems the most fun for me personally. So my question to the forums is if there is a way to edit the config files to decrease the antenna rating of the Tracking Station and/or other ground stations on Kerbin. I've looked through and I don't see a folder for "Buildings" or anything like that. I'm sure the numbers must be in there somewhere, but I've missed them.

Thanks!

I too would like to know this, I suspect in the same place would be where I could edit the ground stations...

However, for your purposes... there is a slider for the DSN that you can set when you start the game, or edit your save file to change:

CommNetParams
        {
            requireSignalForControl = False
            plasmaBlackout = False
            rangeModifier = 1
            DSNModifier = 1
            occlusionMultiplierVac = 0.9
            occlusionMultiplierAtm = 0.75
            enableGroundStations = True
        }

chose a value lower than 1 to reduce the power of the kerbin ground stations. The range modifier above it, I believe, modifies just the power of craft antennae

You can't change the actual DSN strengths in a config file, you need the CustomBarnKit mod.

In my antenna balance mod, I recommend a DSN strength of between 0.02 and 0.10.  That can be changed in the Game Difficulties settings.

Edited by WuphonsReach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.