Ultralight aircraft homebuilt engine specification

Thekpa

O, aeh, ... i greatly respect this but this is maybe not the right place here. Go to an airfield and join an aeronautical club where others share the same addiction. Do not rely on internet information ! I do not know whether there is an aeronautically reworked version of the pulsar engine, it seems to be a bike engine ? You cannot use a bike engine to propel an aircraft, sooner or later it will fail during flight because lubrication is not laid out for changing g-effects.

My knowledge about this is totally outdatet, a long time ago i flew single engine pipers and robins but friends of mine owned and flew micro- and ultralights (max. 450kg TOW). I don't know what kind of contraption you are doing. Aerodynamically steered or through weight shift ? Do you build it from scratch or is it a kit (i assume so) ? Surely there are recommendations from the kit manufacturer.

Weight and balance must be observed, stability of the frame, forces of gravity during flight for the fuel and lubricants circulation. Engines usually don't run long upside down. Also depending on the country you live in certifications and regulations do apply. Germany and France are liberal, Spain totally strict, the US in between.

Usually engine and frame are selected all together because engine mount and connections are tightly integrated into the rest to stay below the TOW limit for certification. If it is a one of then talk to your countries aeronautical agency, they will gladly hand out all information you need and help get in contact. That is their job :-)

Again, get in contact with other airmen/-women. The internet is not the place to gather info on that unless you know what you want.

Says the friendly

gb

Edited by Green Baron
to tow the TOW

The smallest engine put in a manned aircraft that I know of would be the 18 hp one in Burt Rutan's weird looking (which design by Rutan is not weird??) Quickie.

Your 21,8 hp engine is cutting close, unless you have a very lightweight airframe. Quickie is only around 110 kg empty.

Slightly smaller (10kw) are only backpack-engines for paragliders.

Speaking of this, a backpack-engine for a tandem glider might be something to consider ? They are certified, lightweight and offer enough power.

http://www.fresh-breeze.de/home.html

or Techno-fly (no english website, but they claim to have a 25hp engine with a carbon propeller that all together weighs 17kg ...)

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.