Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

11 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

How did you do that! I've been struggling to get the cryopod window glass to have an animated alpha channel like this (I need it for part of the DeepFeeze functionality).

Also that looks awesome!

This was actually one of those happy little accidents. I rotated the mesh in unity while i had the animation window set to record and then for AGES couldn't work out why my part was doing backflips when i turned the lights on!

What's actually happening here is the animation scales up the emissive windows to cover the transparent windows in the first frame of the animation. The emissive windows are hidden when the lights are off behind the back wall and scaled really small.

So what i've done is duplicate the windows in blender and apply two materials. In Unity i chose one with KSP/Alpha/Unlit Transparent, the other KSP/Emissive. You create your color animation as normal for the emissive windows. Then in the animation window you can set up any other animation you want that will happen along with the lights. So you set the scale at in unity and at frame one to be 0.001 which hides the window when the lights are turned off but at frame 2 of the animation scale the windows back to 1. The animation therefore scales the windows to 1, then lights up.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about this, i'd be happy to talk you through in more detail if required :D 

Edited by dboi88

37 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Wow, you are REALLY talented! These parts and the animation look gorgeous.

Well I am extremely humbled! I took lots of inspiration from your own work to be fair. It's less than 3 weeks ago i was sat with your models open in KSP and trying to work out how you got stuff looking so good! Thisi s the 3rd project you helped me with and the second that you've unknowingly helped me along with :wink: 

Ok so the animation i made wouldn't import into unity and couldn't be used in game because i'd animated each individual object on it's own channel, doh!

Basically i need to learn how to set up a rig to be able to animate in blender properly, at first i set up a forward Kinematic rig that would allow me to make an animation like i've done so far in about 30 minutes, but i've managed to get a inverse kinematics rig working, that imports into unity and works in KSP, so now i can make these sorts of animations in minutes.

So expect lots of interesting animations in the final release.

With a forward kinematic rig i have to manually tweak each object on the robot into position to record a key frame, starting with the swivel and moving along the arm until each part is in the correct location. With an inverse kinematic rig i can simply grab the claw and move it into position and the rig will automatically move the rest of the objects with it. You then set up the axis and angle locks on each bone. So you can move it like this.

E5StIEy.gif

So then once i've set up an animation like this.

6V8D0T9.gif

It all shows up correctly in game :D 

yyM0VLa.gif

Just now, DStaal said:

Can you ping-pong back and forth?  (From the end, replay the animation backwards so things don't magically appear - they get replaced.)

(Just an idea...)

Yeah it does already. It has around a 4 minute gap between putting them in then taking them back out. The dish and telescope also rotate randomly.

On 1/23/2017 at 6:45 AM, dboi88 said:

So the idea is to have a ship that can deliver 6 fully loaded 5m USI Kontainers. I'm going to make USI - Tools a dependency because i'll be using the load balancing feature on the Kontainers and freighter hull so that it automatically balances the weight and no one has to mess around with the engine tweakables.

@allista

what load balancing feature? google does not show anything, nither to any of the forum threads, or in-game right click menu. reveal to me your secrets!!!

2 hours ago, toric5 said:

what load balancing feature? google does not show anything, nither to any of the forum threads, or in-game right click menu. reveal to me your secrets!!!

It's a feature of USI - MKS, Roverdude uses it to blanace payloads when landing bases, it works like this. 

B0Qx5wF.jpg 

1 hour ago, Bluebottle said:

Kottabos, in his inevitable Youtube review, is just totally going to lose his mind over that... :D

Kottabos even considering a review of my mod would literally make my year :D 

I've decided to do a passenger module that will carry 10 passengers, so to support them i present the recycling plant which will probably support closer to 20 crew members. I also have an idea for a hab/supplies producing module that will have a big hab bonus plus organics production, not sure i can pull off what i want so i'm keeping specifics under wrap on that one :D.

KCqBE7k.png

p.s. i shamelessly stole the idea of a combined hab/supplies production module from @DStaal check out his [WIP] KPBS/MKS Integration Pack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.