Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

21 hours ago, MacLuky said:

downloading the beta! thanks for sharing the models. despite the different style there is so much one can learn from studying someone else's creations. Love how the texturing looks!

No Problem, you know where to find me if you've got any questions :wink: 

17 hours ago, Sassenach said:

Is there anything in particular you are concerned about testing or should we just take it out for a joy ride and see what falls off?

Yep that's the deal, see what you can break and let me know.

The projects up on Github, for everyone that knows how to make PR's/Issues please chuck everything you can at it. Anyone that wants to help and doesn't know how to use Github give me a shout via PM and i'll give you a run down :D 

3a95059f37f9bc83692660c5eb10bde7.jpg

Edited by dboi88

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

@dboi88 soooo, now that you have a beta out, do you have an idea or roadmap in mind for where you want to take this once you get a bug-squashed full release out?
Or is this pretty much it? (..not that "IT" isnt sufficient..."IT"s awesome as-is)

I've a few ideas, the road map i have is for 'Coyote Space Industries' rather than the cargo freighter.

But I have a few more ideas for some more modules and parts to go with the freighter but not many more than will be included in the first release, i'll leave it in pre 1.0 for a good while and will be happy to play it by ear when people start playing with it. If there are some good ideas that require new models i'll be up for that. I really want to have the kontainers be able to be docked and undocked so you can carry a tug in the hanger bay that delivers the kontainers at the destination which is probably the only major feature i have planned. I'll probably come up with a tug system to go with it.

On that front @RoverDude did you ever think of anyway of implementing that with a tweak to the load balancing feature?

The road map for CSI

• a new base system, think permanent HUGE VABand SPH intergrated hangers and bases, a similar end game style to it as the freighter, it'd be the next stage up from things like MKS and KPBS bases, one of the main features will be a mass driver system for airless bodies to deliver cargo from mining bases to orbit
  •  a smaller scout style ship in a similar vein to the freighter
  • a drop ship system for delivering cargo to and from bodies which would use much more stock like systems (normal tank sizes and shapes(no single pieces hulls))

Ohh a few more things for the freighter, there will be some variations of the rear truss to carry large tanks and a short truss for no cargo, maybe also a small crew shuttle system (the freighter isn't exactly something you might want to try and dock to your delicate space station)

Just now, Urses said:

@dboi88

For your massdriver concept. Have you read this book?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

As an though through option?

And for your deliverysystem via shuttlle something like RD's Honeybager in small?:wink: isn't there a bird in symbiosis with this one? Honeyguide

Urses 

I haven't read the book but i will take a look.

@DStaal check out the new nodes

x14KDz6.gif

16 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I haven't read the book but i will take a look.

@DStaal check out the new nodes

x14KDz6.gif

Nice.  :wink:  I would recommend a small but obvious deviation from symmetry near the attachment node - something that visually makes it obvious that 'this is the way it's supposed to be attached'.  Otherwise you're just going to get endless bug reports of it not working.  A bit of a sloped fairing or something.

3 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

@DStaal you see the big dark section at the back of the truss? where the AO is for the engine fairing? what about BIG text on there saying Rear, i could put some text on the dynamic end caps too.

Yeah, but you tend to be dealing with this pretty zoomed out and often at awkward angles.  Making something a bit more obvious at the point of contact from a distance might be a good idea.

(I mean - you can't see that text is the above gif, and that's the type of angle people will often be at when attaching stuff.  So it would be good to have something visible from this angle.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Yeah, but you tend to be dealing with this pretty zoomed out and often at awkward angles.  Making something a bit more obvious at the point of contact from a distance might be a good idea.

(I mean - you can't see that text is the above gif, and that's the type of angle people will often be at when attaching stuff.  So it would be good to have something visible from this angle.)

What about a huge floating arrow that points this end to hull? like really big! but disappears when attached? 

Just now, dboi88 said:

What about a huge floating arrow that points this end to hull? like really big! but disappears when attached? 

Could work.  My natural preference would be to square off that end or something - so it's not obvious that 'this is an attachment hint', but people notice it anyway as 'this is the way it fits'.  But that would work as well.  :wink:

Just now, DStaal said:

Could work.  My natural preference would be to square off that end or something - so it's not obvious that 'this is an attachment hint', but people notice it anyway as 'this is the way it fits'.  But that would work as well.  :wink:

A mesh change at this point is pretty much out of the question tbh, the tolerances between the interior and exterior meshes plus colliders is cutting it very fine to begin with, i probably couldn't do much to it now without redoing a lot, but adding in a new panel with clear instructions to the dynamic node is easily done.

9 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

A mesh change at this point is pretty much out of the question tbh, the tolerances between the interior and exterior meshes plus colliders is cutting it very fine to begin with, i probably couldn't do much to it now without redoing a lot, but adding in a new panel with clear instructions to the dynamic node is easily done.

Fair enough.  :wink:

Latest Release v0.1.2 - Beta

v0.1.2 Change Log

• New attachment nodes on the rear truss/hull attachment, will now only attach when the truss is orientated correctly. - thanks @DStaal
  • Fixed some issues with overlapping colliders on around the rear truss attach node fixing some craft breaking issues -thanks @Sassenach 
  • CLS support
  • Further diffuse texture updates to complete the Rear Truss/Hull/Engine/EVA prep space & Hanger Bay
  • Further light tweaks, now includes full exterior/interor lighting + Emissives for windows
Edited by dboi88

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Hopefully, the largest dock is big enough for the CSI Freighter... :P ... ???

Tje dock is big enough to get 4× 5m Kontainers in it. With plenty place around. As i seen how small they look inside i have to think on Han Solo: "Here is spacecraft Tillidium we have a fright for Endor"....:wink:

Urses

34 minutes ago, genericeventhandler said:

I love it,  very very expensive in a career game though!

Can you include a sample craft file, I managed to get it all fitted together but it wasn't obvious where each bit went. 

Thanks

GEH

No problem at all, I've already added it as an issue on github and will try and get that included in the next release.

Next release should be tonight and should include all interchangeable modules as i manged to get all the colliders and attach nodes completed last night. :D 

On the expense side of things. It's the massive amount of karbundrum that puts the cost so high. I haven't looked at part cost yet but launching it fuelled will always be insanely costly for this reason.

What are peoples thoughts on part categories?

If i wasn't going to share the finished product they'd all stay in 'pods' because i'm lazy. . . 

Custom? or spread around the stock categories?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.