Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Ok i've tested and tested and can't find anything wrong, it could be it was something that I happened to fix in the last release, or there could be something else. I haven't had time to check with all the mods in the list but i've checked everything i thought could cause a problem.

js38qmn.gif

I mean come one, where else is Bill going to hang his coat?

I don't mind nitpicks, i've added it to the list of things to fix before the next release. 

Cheers

Latest Release v0.1.7

v0.1.7 Change Log

• Minor career fixes.

Well thanks for looking into man, Sorry to waste some of your time snice you couldnt find anything :/ Ill test it when i get home from work and see if that update had fixed it for me. Keep up the great work.

Can you make the engine part not resting on the truss on one side or at least make it attached firmly on the truss? I tried to land this thing vertically on mun for my mining operation, at the speed of 1m/s and as soon as the engine touched down, it breaks apart from the truss because of sheer weight. I've been attaching struts for far too long in the game :(

Edited by ARS

6 hours ago, Warsoul said:

If you send me the basic models template for your modules and cargo; i can do some new stuff to fit on your cargo hull. I simply base mesh in .obj for import into Zbrush.

Only if you were going to emulate the Stockalike look, no organic steampunk stuff. . .

4 hours ago, maja said:

@dboi88 Looking at Kottabos' video, I noticed, that numbers (01, 02 etc.) on the small cargo bay has different heigh: https://youtu.be/hBwFFm9j_64?t=12m17s

Yes, i know why that is, an easy fix, will make sure it's included in the next release.

1 hour ago, ARS said:

Can you make the engine part not resting on the truss on one side or at least make it attached firmly on the truss? I tried to land this thing vertically on mun for my mining operation, at the speed of 1m/s and as soon as the engine touched down, it breaks apart from the truss because of sheer weight. I've been attaching struts for far too long in the game :(

You mad man, no seriously what are you doing!?! pics please!

On a serious note i've taken a look and it looks like i've not upped the joint strength on the Engine module, only the rear truss and hull. I'll do some play testing tonight, i think i can make it so that the engine doesn't break. Keep in mind however that this is way outside of the intended use :P 

41 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

this is way outside of the intended use

The thing is, my mining operation usually consisted of several mining outpost scattered across the planet (Though usually within relatively in close proximity of each other) Usually I'm using a rover to transfer ore/fuel into a shuttle or rocket to bring the ore/fuel back to Kerbin or other craft waiting at orbit (or just refueling). When I'm using your freighter, my first impression is "Hey, this is impressive, I can collect from multiple mining outposts at once!". Then I launched it, and when I'm at munar orbit, I'm thinking: "Okay, so how should I land this thing?". Using shuttle to ferry the resources makes it long and tedious process (and costs fuel), but landing this thing horizontally like an SSTO is straight up insane, so I'm thinking: "Hey, if I land this like a lander and geeeeently touch the ground by keeping my speed as low as possible, maybe I can land this thing (Then reposition it horizontally using RCS thrusters), so this is what happened:

Okay, so I had to do this Slow and steady...

Almost there...

What the...

Well... that was unexpected

2 hours ago, ARS said:

Well... that was unexpected

To be fair that's exactly what i would have expected trying to land a 100m long 4000 ton freighter on the Mun :sticktongue:

If you want you could replace the engine.cfg with this version which should resolve the issues

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dboi88/CSI-Cargo-Freighter/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CoyoteSpaceIndustries/Freighter/Parts/Engine.cfg

I'll play test this tonight and include in the next release if all working ok, probably at weekend as i've got a few more things to polish off for the next release.

9 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

To be fair that's exactly what i would have expected trying to land a 100m long 4000 ton freighter on the Mun :sticktongue:

If you want you could replace the engine.cfg with this version which should resolve the issues

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dboi88/CSI-Cargo-Freighter/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CoyoteSpaceIndustries/Freighter/Parts/Engine.cfg

I'll play test this tonight and include in the next release if all working ok, probably at weekend as i've got a few more things to polish off for the next release.

Thanks mate! You're the best! :D

4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Only if you were going to emulate the Stockalike look, no organic steampunk stuff. . .

I can do the modeling only and let you do the textures by yourself to fit your Artstyle. I'm using Next-Gen texturing tool who work in PBR. I can do Old-Gen look like basic Ksp Texture but i have no learning curve and interests to do that. Most of new games work on PBR now and i bet Ksp will upgrade to PBR with the next DLC. Or maybe not. I hope the will evoluate into Next-Gen soon.

I can do an empty blank version for you and a PBR version for my online portfolio giving you credits for your concept and the basemesh.

Is up to you !

Edited by Warsoul

4 hours ago, ARS said:

Using shuttle to ferry the resources makes it long and tedious process (and costs fuel), but landing this thing horizontally like an SSTO is straight up insane, so I'm thinking: "Hey, if I land this like a lander and geeeeently touch the ground by keeping my speed as low as possible, maybe I can land this thing (Then reposition it horizontally using RCS thrusters)

This is straight up lunacy! of the most impressive kind, but seriously bonkers thinking. I could not perceive  a scenario where you would try to land (regardless of gravity at the surface) the freighter, kudos to your audacity!

5 hours ago, Warsoul said:

I can do the modeling only and let you do the textures by yourself to fit your Artstyle. I'm using Next-Gen texturing tool who work in PBR. I can do Old-Gen look like basic Ksp Texture but i have no learning curve and interests to do that. Most of new games work on PBR now and i bet Ksp will upgrade to PBR with the next DLC. Or maybe not. I hope the will evoluate into Next-Gen soon.

I can do an empty blank version for you and a PBR version for my online portfolio giving you credits for your concept and the basemesh.

Is up to you !

I meant the art style, not the modelling and texturing process. You can make textures in your style without PBR shaders and you can make textures that are stockalike while using PBR shaders. Heck, take a look at the unreleased work from PorkJet that was using PBR shaders, they are absolutely glorious.

In regards to KSP upgrading to PBR i can absolutely completely guarantee you that is not happening with the DLC pack, and i'd also bet my mortgage that it never will be implemented.

Here's a blank module that i sent someone a while ago, this will give you the dimensions for the module slots. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUUVk5NEhROF9KSEk/view?usp=sharing

I can't guarantee i'll use anything but i'm looking forward to seeing what you might come up with.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

i have a few ideas I think I might take a quick shot at as well...

Are the modules hot-swappable in-flight?...or only in the editor?

Go for it!

They're basic attach nodes so depending on Mod's they could be swapped out(KAS), no docking ports though, that'd break the weight balancing.

1 hour ago, dboi88 said:

I meant the art style, not the modelling and texturing process. You can make textures in your style without PBR shaders and you can make textures that are stockalike while using PBR shaders. Heck, take a look at the unreleased work from PorkJet that was using PBR shaders, they are absolutely glorious.

In regards to KSP upgrading to PBR i can absolutely completely guarantee you that is not happening with the DLC pack, and i'd also bet my mortgage that it never will be implemented.

Here's a blank module that i sent someone a while ago, this will give you the dimensions for the module slots. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUUVk5NEhROF9KSEk/view?usp=sharing

I can't guarantee i'll use anything but i'm looking forward to seeing what you might come up with.

What do you mean by PBR shaders because no one won't work in KSP for now. All i have is Emissive Bumped Specular shader in the ksp tool.

I heard someone who tried to mimmick PBR shader in KSP but it look dead now.

I talked with ksp moderator and he said if ksp player ask in number for PBR they will prolly looking at it.

We still haven't official multiplayer after 5 years, so i will take it with a grain of salt.

But the demand always rule in the end. Do you want PBR shader ?

1 hour ago, Warsoul said:

What do you mean by PBR shaders because no one won't work in KSP for now. All i have is Emissive Bumped Specular shader in the ksp tool.

I heard someone who tried to mimmick PBR shader in KSP but it look dead now.

I talked with ksp moderator and he said if ksp player ask in number for PBR they will prolly looking at it.

We still haven't official multiplayer after 5 years, so i will take it with a grain of salt.

But the demand always rule in the end. Do you want PBR shader ?

I was just making the point that artstyles aren't limited to the old vs new gen tools and techniques.

I agree but the point using next-gen tool is to add damages effects, bumps, glow, metallic, AO, roughness. But the ksp art style are perfect surface with cartoon look. Wich i love but it's simply dull to do for an artist who want create and experiment new texturing technniques in Substance Painter 2. Fill with grey add 2 or 3 black lines ..... pretty dull and pretty average for an online portfolio. I need more visual punch and made thing on my way, on my style if i want build something. Borderland is a good exemple of success by breaking the rules.

The main point of my mod is to bring a new look to KSP. Bring more visuals experiences and a feeling of huge operations.

It's pretty frustrating to be constantly reprimended for that. It look like an kind of racism of Non-Stock-Alike mod.

I understand the importance of an art style guideline for matching an visual look. But the game is 5 years old and most of us played the game enough to get to a point where something new and different can renew his experience.

We have a term in modding for that : Total Conversion Mod.

I will do the model for you and i will let you decide if you want texture them stock-alike or not. Free models is always good, no ?

9 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Wait!..Wut??...really??... :P

Well no. I should have been clearer on that. The weight balancing only works when the part is a leaf part and only moves the weight one step down the tree, so you couldn't balance the weight of a module through 1 or more docking ports/parts. So docking ports are fine depending on the intended use.

Edited by dboi88
added clarity

20 hours ago, Warsoul said:

I have to install your mod to be more aware on how they fit onto your hull.

You could watch the review Kobbottas did as well, he shows how everything connects together.

20 hours ago, Warsoul said:

Can i get the complete freighter base mesh ?

This is a really cool ship, but it looks like a bioship, the aesthetics don't fit this mod. I'd imagine this would be something that Kerbals might 'grow' 1000 years in the future, my mod is more like the next step up from the current Stock parts being what a Kerbal might construct 100 years into the future.

Moderation note: a comment has been removed to prevent an argument. It didn't break any rules, but it was part of a larger problem. No penalty was assessed about it. 

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.