Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

The one argument against custom is that I believe that needs a dll to create the category, from what I've seen other mods doing.  (Though you could piggyback on Filter Extensions or Community Category Kit, both of which allow categories to be created via config file.)

I'd put the bridge in pods, engines in propulsion, and all else presently in as structural. Not sure if you can group everything together with a custom bulkheadProfiles entry in the config without a .dll as DStaal says would be the case with proper categories.

52 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I'd say "custom", since it doesnt seem you could really match these up with any stock or even modded parts... This IS pretty unique in design...

I think you're right.

47 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The one argument against custom is that I believe that needs a dll to create the category, from what I've seen other mods doing.  (Though you could piggyback on Filter Extensions or Community Category Kit, both of which allow categories to be created via config file.)

I'll take a look at both options, i'd expect a dll would be pretty simple and i can at least get simple plugins working.

8 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

I'd put the bridge in pods, engines in propulsion, and all else presently in as structural. Not sure if you can group everything together with a custom bulkheadProfiles entry in the config without a .dll as DStaal says would be the case with proper categories.

Good plan, i'll go with this until i can get a custom set up done.

I've just about polished off the basics for the modules, i've got some work left to do polishing the module textures and a few normal and spec maps to finish. Then configs . . . @DStaal @Merkov you're wisdom and input would be greatly appreciated .

With the help of @Sassenach i've also managed the squash the joint breaking bugs that were breaking the craft in certain situations. It can now be launched with no support and no hacks under it's own weight! I didn't even think that was going to be possible. :D 

17 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I'll take a look at both options, i'd expect a dll would be pretty simple and i can at least get simple plugins working.

Of the two, Community Category Kit is probably easier to work with: It lets you define a category for your part by adding a specifically-formatted tag to the part, no other changes needed.  But it is a bit of an abuse to use it this way.  (On the other hand - it's included in MKS as a dependency, so it's already available for the target audience.)

20 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I've just about polished off the basics for the modules, i've got some work left to do polishing the module textures and a few normal and spec maps to finish. Then configs . . . @DStaal @Merkov you're wisdom and input would be greatly appreciated .

I'll admit I haven't had much time the last week or so to do much.  But if there's something specific you want me to look at, I'm game.  (I took a quick look at the CLS configs, without testing in-game.  You went for the simplest, which is probably fine.  I might think about whether you want to allow surface-attach CLS on all parts or not, but that's a fairly minor issue really.)

22 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Of the two, Community Category Kit is probably easier to work with: It lets you define a category for your part by adding a specifically-formatted tag to the part, no other changes needed.  But it is a bit of an abuse to use it this way.  (On the other hand - it's included in MKS as a dependency, so it's already available for the target audience.)

I'll admit I haven't had much time the last week or so to do much.  But if there's something specific you want me to look at, I'm game.  (I took a quick look at the CLS configs, without testing in-game.  You went for the simplest, which is probably fine.  I might think about whether you want to allow surface-attach CLS on all parts or not, but that's a fairly minor issue really.)

Yeah i was thinking about CCK initially too.

Well the useable space for each module is around 4 times the size of a large tundra module so initially i was going to copy the tundra module stats and increase to be 4 times as useful. I need to take a look at RD's spreadsheet. But generally i just welcome any input you might have, i will mention you if i have anything specific to discuss :D 

Ohh and apologies i forgot to reference back to your PM, i'll update with the extra configs.

Latest Release v0.1.3 - Beta

v0.1.3 Change Log

• Added Interchangable Modules, models, textures & basic configs
  • Fixed craft breaking issues with breakForce settings, craft can now be launched under their own weight without cheats - thanks @Sassenach
  • Fixed minor typos and did some further work on the configs

Known Issues - Small greenhouse doesn't have correct nodes or colliders

10 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

Given it a quick test, all looks good. Nothing new jumps out as problematic.

Great News!

5 minutes ago, Urses said:

Same here.

Great idea with the installation guide.

Suggestion for phase 2 than, the guide as  a KSP Encyclopedia  Entry.

Urses

Yeah i thought it'd be useful, i forget that everyone else hasn't spent the last 3 months playing with them lol.

Yep KSPedia entry is on the roadmap and i actually have a lot of experience on that front (have you seen the entries for USI?)

27 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Great News!

Yeah i thought it'd be useful, i forget that everyone else hasn't spent the last 3 months playing with them lol.

Yep KSPedia entry is on the roadmap and i actually have a lot of experience on that front (have you seen the entries for USI?)

That is why i mentoned it. Because your shlp is a logical expansion in USI universum and with your work and Expertise you can perfectly meet in:wink:

Urses

PS: by the way i "STALK" you evrywhere on your work around like here or KPBS/USI Collaboration or your work on the USI Wiki:D and every time i have a grien with your beginning comments like "i'm beginner"

Go on you "beginner" and let us conquer the Kerbalversum with your help:wink:

Edited by Urses
PS addition

21 hours ago, Urses said:

That is why i mentoned it. Because your shlp is a logical expansion in USI universum and with your work and Expertise you can perfectly meet in:wink:

Urses

PS: by the way i "STALK" you evrywhere on your work around like here or KPBS/USI Collaboration or your work on the USI Wiki:D and every time i have a grien with your beginning comments like "i'm beginner"

Go on you "beginner" and let us conquer the Kerbalversum with your help:wink:

Cheers, i noticed :wink: thank you for your kind words.

8 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

WOW, I've been so busy I didn't notice you put a beta for your mod out!  Congrats dboi88!  I'll move this to the themed section in the Dev Library since its USI compatible mod :wink:

Thanks for that!

F1FSlYU.png

I've finished with the nodes and configs to get the Kontainer rack working. Same deal as the big 5m kontainers, these will be load balanced to the freighter hull. I've also supplied KIS Kontainers so these EVA Prep area is finally useful.

I've also been working hard on setting up all the dependencies, mm patches and licences files so we're getting closer to a release.

Latest Release v0.1.5 - Beta

v0.1.5 Change Log

• Added missing bump and specular maps
  • Added full lighting rig to all modules
  • Added EL support
  • Improved CLS support
  • Bundled Dependencies With Relevant Licences
  • Added Small Modules, Greenhouse, Cupola, Reactor, Recycler

Another release for you awesome testers, that's pretty much everything polished off for the current set of parts. This should be the final test build for the basic freighter set up, i'd appreciate feedback as usual. There should also be no further craft/save breaking changes.

I'm now looking at some further parts to allow the freighter to integrate into many other craft designs. More info to come.

When you say that's pretty much everything polished off that's minus configs, no?

edit:

Hmm, reloading a save causes the ship to blow up horribly, with the following in the log:

Spoiler

[LOG 15:57:21.926] Unpacking Custom Freighter
[LOG 15:57:22.068] [F: 228003]: CSIfreightersmallrecycler collided into CSIfreighterhull - relative velocity: 624.5953 - impact momentum: 2689257.0
[LOG 15:57:22.069] CSIfreightersmallrecycler Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.070] [CSIfreightersmallrecycler]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.071] [F: 228003]: CSIcommandbridge (Custom Freighter) collided into CSIfreighterhull - relative velocity: 44.77626 - impact momentum: 192788.7
[LOG 15:57:22.072] CSIcommandbridge (Custom Freighter) Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.073] [CSIcommandbridge (Custom Freighter)]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.084] [F: 228003]: CSIfreighterevaprep collided into CSIfreighterhull - relative velocity: 49.27322 - impact momentum: 212150.8
[LOG 15:57:22.085] CSIfreighterevaprep Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.086] [CSIfreighterevaprep]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.087] [F: 228003]: CSIfreighterCargoBay collided into CSIfreighterWorkshop - relative velocity: 7952.475 - impact momentum: 397623.8
[LOG 15:57:22.088] CSIfreighterCargoBay Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.089] [CSIfreighterCargoBay]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.174] [F: 228003]: CSIfreighterhangerbay collided into CSIfreighterhull - relative velocity: 29.39459 - impact momentum: 126561.3
[LOG 15:57:22.175] CSIfreighterhangerbay Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.178] [CSIfreighterhangerbay]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.180] [F: 228003]: CSIfreighterreartrussk collided into C3.Kontainer.04 - relative velocity: 26.85821 - impact momentum: 3867.6
[LOG 15:57:22.180] CSIfreighterreartrussk Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.181] [CSIfreighterreartrussk]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.193] ScaleModList: listSize 205 maxListSize 788
[LOG 15:57:22.198] 6 explosions created.
[LOG 15:57:22.255] [F: 228007]: C3.Kontainer.04 collided into C3.Kontainer.04 - relative velocity: 13.79771 - impact momentum: 1986.9
[LOG 15:57:22.256] C3.Kontainer.04 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.257] [C3.Kontainer.04]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.262] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 15:57:22.262] Packing Custom Freighter Debris for orbit
[LOG 15:57:22.263] Packing Custom Freighter Debris for orbit
[LOG 15:57:22.274] [F: 228008]: C3.Kontainer.04 collided into C3.Kontainer.04 - relative velocity: 11.30025 - impact momentum: 1627.2
[LOG 15:57:22.275] C3.Kontainer.04 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 15:57:22.276] [C3.Kontainer.04]: Deactivated
[LOG 15:57:22.280] 1 explosions created.

Edited by Sassenach
further testing

17 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

When you say that's pretty much everything polished off that's minus configs, no?

Pretty much everythings in there now? USI-MKS/LS, EL, CLS, KIS, still need to do OSE, but i want to make a new part for that, and the final engine balance.

It's more the stock values. The description for many parts is that of the cupola module. The small greenhouse is also about 1/4 of the weight of the other small modules, and the large storage part doesn't store anything but electric charge. (Not sure if that's handled in a patch for a mod I don't have installed though)

2 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

It's more the stock values. The description for many parts is that of the cupola module. The small greenhouse is also about 1/4 of the weight of the other small modules, and the large storage part doesn't store anything but electric charge. (Not sure if that's handled in a patch for a mod I don't have installed though)

No you're right, I forgot i hadn't done some of those. I need to write the descriptions, i'm not very creative though. The storage module should be working though(basic MKS patch), i'll take a look at that.

Cheers

Just needed to know they did need fixing before I went and spammed a bunch of irrelevant issues on Github :) I think the storage module may indeed be correctly configured, I'm just missing Kolony tools from the test install. Would you be amenable to pull requests if there are problems with simple fixes?

1 minute ago, Sassenach said:

Just needed to know they did need fixing before I went and spammed a bunch of irrelevant issues on Github :) I think the storage module may indeed be correctly configured, I'm just missing Kolony tools from the test install. Would you be amenable to pull requests if there are problems with simple fixes?

Absolutely, i'd really appreciate that, PR's would be even better :wink: 

I've run through quite a few test missions now but i don't think i'd actually done any saving or reloading. I'll take a look and see if i can work out what is going on.

Cheers 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.