Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

That's hilarious.  :wink:  (And BTW: Fish actually seem to do less well in space than humans, from same recent NASA study that I ran across.)

It's ok we have artificial gravity on the freighter :wink: they'll be right at home. I was thinking this thing could create organics as well as being a hab multiplier.

Another module down, only two more planned, a storage module and the cargo bay, then i'm going to make a couple of small modules for mounting on the front of the ship, a small recycler, a small greenhouse, a small viewing station, a small and large reactor, some small storage tanks and maybe a few other things, just so you can really fine tune the setup. THEN i'll start on the freighter, I'm going to make the freighter at least 3 piece, the main hull as one, then the doors and interior of the main cargo bay and eva areas as two separate parts so they don't have to be usedif you don't want them. I'll put dynamic nodes on those so they are covered with end caps when not in use. 

orPVc6b.gif

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

With that layout, I'd go with tying it in to Configurable Containers, especially if it's going to be a dependency.  Then you can set multiple different resources into the container.

That's a good shout! I've been thinking about other ways of splitting up the rear truss to allow us to have a kontainer or a spherical tank version, or use the freighter with no rear truss I've come up with an idea using COM adjustments in the cfg's. The only drawback was lack of different storage options on the freighter, if you can stick one of these in and pick between different resources and ratios that'd be perfect and i'll get working on it! 

Finished the cargo bay, eventually, a lot of texturing work on this one. Lights, switchable decals and animated doors, what more could you want in a cargo bay?

gdxgu3e.png

Wj5byMx.gif

I've also finally got round to texturing the rear of the modules.

uFtZefI.png

7 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Noice!....
Now, for the cargo bay, what about adding Allista's Hangar mod support?... lol :D

Yep I've already added the relevant game objects into the model :)

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

One thought on the rear texture: It should have a Kerbal-sized door someplace.  Not a working door, of course, but a spot where it mates with the main freighter and they can connect the hatch.

Your correct. Let's see what I can do

11 hours ago, njmksr said:

That cargo bay gave me an idea... what if you made a module allowing you to deorbit the freighter modules and connect them as surface base complexes?

...just an idea.

Hmm i'm not sure about that, i have no plans to make the modules 'swap-able' , but i have got plans for a base system following similar aesthetics. We've got lots of really cool bases systems, MKS/KPBS/ect. but they are all designed to be delivered/ built bit by bit. I want to make an end game base system that are much more like permanent buildings that would be required to be built with EPL/GroundConstruction.

@RoverDude would you consider an addition to ModuleWeightDistributableCargo to allow for a 'pass through' part?

I want to be able to have a set of docking ports between the kontainers and the freighter hull so that you could undock the kontainers at your destination but still have the weight balancing feature.

Speaking of permanent bases that are built rather than landed, does it seem like it might be possible to adapt the Asteroid Recycling Technologies technique of excavation (being tracked on an attached, in this case landed, part) landed on a body? It seems like it might be a viable means to expand bases without a proportionate increase in part count. It might be a nice function to attach to your buildings.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:32 AM, dboi88 said:

Hmm i'm not sure about that, i have no plans to make the modules 'swap-able' , but i have got plans for a base system following similar aesthetics. We've got lots of really cool bases systems, MKS/KPBS/ect. but they are all designed to be delivered/ built bit by bit. I want to make an end game base system that are much more like permanent buildings that would be required to be built with EPL/GroundConstruction.

Aw. I was planning on using this thing to lug a bunch of those modules to Laythe, deorbit them, and make a base.

Cool nonetheless.

7 hours ago, Sassenach said:

Speaking of permanent bases that are built rather than landed, does it seem like it might be possible to adapt the Asteroid Recycling Technologies technique of excavation (being tracked on an attached, in this case landed, part) landed on a body? It seems like it might be a viable means to expand bases without a proportionate increase in part count. It might be a nice function to attach to your buildings.

I'll take a look, if it's something that can be done i'd like to include that.

5 minutes ago, njmksr said:

Aw. I was planning on using this thing to lug a bunch of those modules to Laythe, deorbit them, and make a base.

Cool nonetheless.

Nothing stopping you trying :P 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.