Monoliths and science unlocks [spoilers]

I seem to remember seeing on these forums that some people have found now monoliths, and that these monoliths would unlock a tech in career mode when found.

So since I was doing career mode again, after a while I figured I'd try to find some monoliths rather than the old fashioned science grind.

I looked here:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_easter_eggs

Is this complete, are there no random monoliths in the kerbin system? Is it only the random monoliths that unlock tech, or do they all do this?

Also, do they always unlock one of the techs you haven't researched, or is there a chance that they give a tech you've already obtained? At the moment I'm holding off on some science purchases, because I don't want to increase the odds of unlocking a tech I've already obtains

11 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

ah, good to know, so then it was some mod then

I can testify: It is NOT a mod.

There is a new class of easter Eggs added to the game. These are monoliths with a green texture.

They spawn at random locations. So far i found one at the (mun and one at minimus, maybe each celestial body has one but i don't know).

If you go there and get the first-world record, they unlock a random researchable, not allready researched Technode.

Just to give all infos:

Installed addons:

- Mk3 extension

-Mk2 extension

-fuel switch

-eva struts

Edited by hms_warrior

bah, conflicting information!, now I'm going to have to test it for myself.

Only mods are KER, Scatterer, and Kopernicus (havent installed Outerplanets mod yet on this version).

Have you noticed the tech unlocks apply only to random monoliths? the fixed monoliths do nothing?

I can confirm that the fixed Mun arch anomolies do nothing (at least the two I've already found my chance on this save)

Yes the stationary monoliths give a First World with some Kredits and rep. Only the random (green) monoliths unlock Technodes.

Other Ester Eggs give a Rep/Kredits/some SciencePoints World First but again, no Technode.

Edited by hms_warrior

15 hours ago, Birdco_Space said:

I play Dmagic Science, Scan Sat, Near future Tech, KERKAC, Transfer window planner, Community Tech tree and a few other mods, and I get Tech node unlocks from the Green Monoliths. 

That sounds kinda like a alcoholics anon introduction.

KSP anonymous?

I'll add my anecdotal info of getting tech unlocked with a green 'lith. The world-first notification showed the tech. Fairly heavily modded, but mostly parts; nothing that should affect science, to my knowledge. Unless it's ScanSat, which I used to locate it.

Edited by Jarin

Spoiler

Well, I can now confirm the following:

Randomly placed monoliths do spawn on Mun, so the wiki needs updating.

The pre-placed monoliths and all other easter eggs that were there pre-1.0 give world's first money, but no science unlocks

The randomly placed monolith with the green logo does unlock a tech that I hadn't researched. 

* The combination of a randolith on Mun + tech unlock is nice: I wasn't willing to wait until a probe reached Duna to unlock all the techs. So without a randolith on Mun/Minmus, the feature would have been wasted, but now I have made use of the new kerbnet system and randolith tech unlock

So I was thinking, if there are many random monoliths out there, but the tech tree will likely be unlocked before any monoliths are found on other planets... it could go well with the part upgrade system that they've done the groundwork for.

If tech tree is fully unlocked, and you find a monolith: get a part upgrade.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How many randoliths are generated in a career game? Would it be possible to play career with only the first anomaly-detecting probe core unlocked, and explore for tech upgrade randoliths, not using any science for the tech tree at all?

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

How many randoliths are generated in a career game? Would it be possible to play career with only the first anomaly-detecting probe core unlocked, and explore for tech upgrade randoliths, not using any science for the tech tree at all?

I've heard some people saying one per planet, or one per celestial body. But I actually don't know. :)

13 minutes ago, bewing said:

I've heard some people saying one per planet, or one per celestial body. But I actually don't know. :)

I'm pretty sure that it is one per planet and one per moon. That's what I found so far but there could be more I suppose.  

1. This is a new Easteregg from 1.2

2. They spawn on every new game on new postions on every celestial body one per. Thus means wiki can only say they are present but never give the position where.

3. Like other eastereggs they give the milestone for world first but they give one next open technode tech. AFIK you can't get a lvl 9 tech if you are at T5 but T6 is a go.

4. Planet mods can spawn them too but the moder have to enable them. The ability to give tech must be enabled too. But at the moment it looks like nobody have found how.

5. This tech behavour is only full aktive at stock planets at the moment (look 4)

6. SCANSAT read the name tags from game for the anomalies and tags the new one as "Randomlith"

Hope this helps 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

43 minutes ago, bewing said:

Hmm, 58 tech nodes, but only 16 rocky balls to land on...is there a mod that grants this tech upgrade ability to the old static Monoliths? If we can get those rookie numbers up to the near 50's it should be possible

10 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Hmm, 58 tech nodes, but only 16 rocky balls to land on...is there a mod that grants this tech upgrade ability to the old static Monoliths? If we can get those rookie numbers up to the near 50's it should be possible

You will not say that is to low since out there? And 16 bonus free technodes are allready to much... but if you have all scince nodes open you don't get any new nodes...

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Edited by Urses

3 minutes ago, Urses said:

You will not say that is to low since out there? And 16 bonus free technodes are allready to much... but if you have all scince nodes open you don't get any new nodes...

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Read my previous post. I want to try a career with only these monoliths to upgrade my science tree

5 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

Read my previous post. I want to try a career with only these monoliths to upgrade my science tree

I have better used this emoticon:wink: (no offense was Intended!)

For realy hard science playthrough zry to use combination of Strategia and Kerbal R&D with 20%... i'm through all inner planets and on my way to Tellumo  (GPP) and reached hardly T8 by now...:D

You can't have to much science...

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.