[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Looks good! Though IMHO you can toss the "Basic Controls" header to gain more room for the reactor status/lifetime display. There's only one basic control element to begin with, and the fact that there's a hidden advanced set implicitly describes that one slider as basic anyway. :wink:

18 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Stupid question.  I haven't had a chance to use the reactors much due to career restarts; but what does the 'Customize Reactor' buttons do?

I think it's with the new windows that were shown on the last page, but I think it allows you to change the reactors name and Icon as it appears in the control panel. I guess it makes sense when you have multiple reactors on large ships, such as a small backup in-case your large one fails or something like that.

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Looks good! Though IMHO you can toss the "Basic Controls" header to gain more room for the reactor status/lifetime display. There's only one basic control element to begin with, and the fact that there's a hidden advanced set implicitly describes that one slider as basic anyway. :wink:

I have to make a bit more room anyways, that set of controls is in an expandable vertical stack, so the lifetime display can't really overflow onto the basic controls like that.

Finalizing the two smaller VASIMR models. The 1.25m one can be swapped to a variant that dispenses with the ring structure.

TMRyLv3.pngzBUFop5.png

Revised their FX too:

l1146dV.png

smKD2vx.png

Some more QOL improvements to the plugin today... heading towards release tomorrow or Friday, depending on some more testing

1 minute ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I would be happy to look over the code, just to try to catch any "tired programmer" mistakes!

You're always free to peruse the dev branches.

Busy day of work today. Finished off the revised model for the FLAT reactor. Because this is strictly an inline part, it won't have a 

HnmX4fY.png

Also completed the final draft model for the large 3.75m reactor. It has an inline version!

wmqMXqd.pngbVmLwcp.png

4 hours ago, HoveringKiller said:

What is the EC output of the large 3.75m reactor? I apologize if you have mentioned it before, I must've missed it.

It has not been decided yet, but will probably be between 5000 and 6000 kW.

Near Future Propulsion 0.8.6 

• New models for KP-XL PIT, Colossus MPDT, all VASIMR engines
  • All electrical RCS parts and AiRES Atmospheric Sounder are now physicsless to match similar stock parts
  • Cryogenic Separator now properly pumps air (does not need to be accelerated to high velocities to get good resource flow)
  • Rewrote VariableISPEngine plugin
    • Improved support for cfg customization
    • Code optimizations
    • Support for multiple engine throttle animations
  • Deprecated NFPAnimateHeat in favour of stock ModuleAnimateHeat, which now has the necessary capabilities

It's totally possible there are bugs of some sort in the new engines, please let me know if you find anything, I'm expecting to need to do a hotfix already. 

Edited by Nertea

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Rewrote VariableISPEngine plugin

• Improved support for cfg customization
  • Code optimizations
  • Support for multiple engine throttle animations

KNOWN ISSUE: NFPropulsionTweakPatch.cfg will no longer correctly tweak VASIMR engine performance until I get around to fixing it (tomorrow). Just as a heads-up for the two people out there who are actually using it :P

Edited by Streetwind

32 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

KNOWN ISSUE: NFPropulsionTweakPatch.cfg will no longer correctly tweak VASIMR engine performance until I get around to fixing it (tomorrow). Just as a heads-up for the two people out there who are actually using it :P

Well there's at least one part of a hotfix :P. Sorry about that dude! I forgot about that one. 

Edited by Nertea

Eh, no worries. :P The patch is barely used, still works for all other engines, and it's a quick and easy fix too. Already made changes in a local file, now I just need to test this once I get home.

I've also been pondering a way to make the whole thing a lot more compact and easier to use, so this is as good an opportunity to change that file as any. But I still need to figure out if Module Manager can do that sort of thing in the first place. It might, it might not. We'll see.

Hi, I'm having problem reentry kerbin with the mk3-9pod (whit heatshield), it get hot as soon I'm in the atmosphere.
The maxTemp in the config file is 1000 but in the other stock capsule are 1400 or more, is maybe this the problem? Or I'm doing something wrong?

Alright, pull request submitted for the new revision of the Tweak Patch. It is so much easier to use now. Kinda proud of it! :)

I tested it for myself, but more eyes are always better at spotting bugs. If you already downloaded the new NFP update from yesterday, you can try and completely replace the contents of your NFPropulsionTweakPatch.cfg file with this. Then you can test without having to wait for and download another update.

Would really appreciate some feedback on whether you like the changes, and whether it all works as intended for you!

@Nertea - the new VariableIspEngine plugin is great. Just look how elegantly I can patch the floatcurves! :)

6 hours ago, antonioltg said:

Hi, I'm having problem reentry kerbin with the mk3-9pod (whit heatshield), it get hot as soon I'm in the atmosphere.
The maxTemp in the config file is 1000 but in the other stock capsule are 1400 or more, is maybe this the problem? Or I'm doing something wrong?

I think the pod may be intended to be an orbital spacecraft, hence its poor heat tolerances. Feel free to up the temperature limits for yourself though :)

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I think the pod may be intended to be an orbital spacecraft, hence its poor heat tolerances. Feel free to up the temperature limits for yourself though :)

I didn't think about this, i changed the config just to save my kerbals from death; next time I'll use some other capsule for reentry.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Eliam said:

Incoming models look amazing, and textures are just perfect as always.

I've done some search on the topic but found no answer : do you also plan to make something like Near Future atmospheric technologies ? (like Scramjets or Pulsed Detonation Engines or Rotating Detonation Engine)

Nice work.

If something like that did get made it would probably go into Mark4, but it isn't very likely at the moment. 

I have a question, I filled a structural fuselage with MP and now the LV-601 engine I am supposed to be testing (I mean, the "Run test" worked, so it's not a huge deal) has no MP supply. Bug? Is it because the MP sources are attached to the structural fuselage or maybe because they are above the next decoupler?

TK4ap5.png[\img]

Edited by ItsSeanBroleson

2 hours ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I have a question, I filled a structural fuselage with MP and now the LV-601 engine I am supposed to be testing (I mean, the "Run test" worked, so it's not a huge deal) has no MP supply. Bug? Is it because the MP sources are attached to the structural fuselage or maybe because they are above the next decoupler?

Did you enable crossfeeding across the decoupler?

Continuing my curly braces tour, here's a list of files in NearFutureProps that have missing curly braces somewhere. Dunno if this even matters, but figured maybe it could!

NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\Dummies\MFDLargeBezels\nft_MFD_LargeBezels_DummyScreen02.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\Dummies\MFDLargeBezels\nft_MFD_LargeBezels_DummyScreen03.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\Dummies\MFDLargeBezels\nft_MFD_LargeBezels_DummyScreen04.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\NFTMFD\nft_MFD_Large_Bezels_Type1.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\NFTMFD\nft_MFD_Large_Type1.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\NFTMFD\nft_MFD_Mini_Type1.cfg
NearFutureProps\Props\Screens\NFTMFD\nft_MFD_Small_Type1.cfg

Hi,

I have a little question. I made myself a Mining base on a moon using 3 MX-1 Prometheus Fission Reactor and some big radiators. Before the last patch the temperature stopped nicely at 850K (no overheating).  Since the last patch it is always overheating (in atmosphere It still works fine) and more radiators make no difference..  Is this a Bug or has anything changed ??

On 16.03.2017 at 0:05 AM, Nertea said:

I have to make a bit more room anyways, that set of controls is in an expandable vertical stack, so the lifetime display can't really overflow onto the basic controls like that.

Finalizing the two smaller VASIMR models. The 1.25m one can be swapped to a variant that dispenses with the ring structure.

TMRyLv3.pngzBUFop5.png

0.625m one consumes gas and EC, but does not provide any thrust in Xenon mode. Thrust is OK in Argon mode though. 

1.25m one functions well in both modes.

BTW, since both models look "encased", maybe it's a good idea to add surface-attacheable colliders for that casing?