Things to see around Yellowstone

cubinator

I'll be visiting Yellowstone and some areas around it in August, and was wondering if there were any interesting, not-page-one-google-obvious things people here have visited around there and would recommend. I've never been to that part of the country before. I saw on NOVA that there's an old nuclear reactor test site near Idaho Falls, where I'll be staying for the eclipse, and it has a museum which would be cool to visit. 

Plan on many days if you wish to see anything beyond the "tourist trap" areas. 

First, I recommend entering from the Montana (North) Entrance.  Take at least half a day to visit the old fort and the hot springs.  From there to east along the grand loop.  Take your time, and stop often to view the different nature areas, not just the thermal features. 

When you get about halfway down Yellowstone stop at the Canyon Visitor Center.

Continue southward along the outer grand loop to about a 2/3rd of the way down, and stop at Fishing Bridge Inn for a meal.  Everything in the park is expensive, but the food is normally really really good. 

Continue southward (and now west) along the grand loop, which will bring you to Old Fathful.  I recommend at least a full day there if you can manage it.  The Inn itself is very rustic, and has a several year waiting list.  If they offer it (sometimes to do) take a trip out on Yellowstone lake and see the lake from the water's side.  

Please remember that you are in the animals' home, and not a human one.  Do not approach them, not not try to get closer if it means stepping off the roadway.  That is the fastest way to get hurt.

Take it from a Wyoming native, Yellowstone is always changing.  There is somet6hing new to see each and every time you go there.

Az

When we went to Yellowstone last summer the two things that we found most fun were dispersed camping on Shadow Mountain and rafting the Snake River through Grand Teton NP. If you're going to do the rafting, don't bother going with a guided tour, they're a waste of money. Just rent your own raft through any of the outfitters in town (we went with Rendezvous), then drive it out to park. Put in at the dam, then put out at Pacific Creek (if you're beginners at this sort of thing, like we were). That section is gentle enough that you really can't hurt yourself on it. Just make sure that you scout the landing when you drive in, makes it a lot easier to put out.

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Before or after?

After the eclipse, before the eruption, if that's what you're asking.

Or are you making a joke of the fact that I didn't specify how many dimensions the space I will visit referred to as "around Yellowstone" is? It's about two, not four, and they're projected on the surface of a spheroid which contains Yellowstone and other interesting things to visit. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.