To Boldly Go interstellar challenge!

As you may know I created a mod that procedurally generates an entire galaxy. However, Nobody not even myself has traveled from one star to the next without cheats or overpowered custom warp drives. And certainly not with a life support mod.

The challenge is to install To Boldly Go (Link in my signature.) And then travel to one of the stars in the galaxy by sub-light means using a life support mod. Can you get to the nearest star before your crew dies?

You may use any mod that is realistic. (such as Novapunch or KW Rocketry, Or B9,)

You may also choose whichever life support mod you prefer.

BONUS CHALLENGE: Bring colonization equipment along for the ride and establish a self sustaining colony on an exoplanet.

@daniel l. This is a cool challenge and something I would be interested in. However I have one question. Could you please include a galaxy file so that people with any computer can compete? You and I both know that not everyone can run the TBG generation program, so for those who can't, would you please include a file? It would also standardize the challenge.

Thanks, and TBG is awesome! :) 

I would love to take place, but I've only just landed a craft on the Mün. And even then, it was extremely over engineered, with 8 km/s of ▲v total. That's not to say I'm not gonna try the challenge! It's just that I'll probably fail horribly.

Oh, another thing: is the SETI-Greenhouse mod okay? Cause I doubt I'll be able to manage the challenge otherwise.

EDIT: I'd like to know if these mods are allowed before I start building: Fuel tanks plus, Hangar, Interstellar fuel switch, and infernal robotics.

Edited by Linventor

I have been checking out your mod, and this challenge is exactly the kind of game play experience I am looking for, if only it were a little more developed. The inclusion of research and orbits around a galactic center, as well as various procedural textures and such, would make me download this mod and take on this challenge in a heartbeat. Include interesting contracts and make the mod work really well with usi kolonization and life support as well as Interstellar Extended and I would be 100% sold. I'm going to keep my eye on this mod for now!

4 hours ago, TheHacker000 said:

I may be can do this with OPT mod. But I don't know if you accept OPT mod. And I just made a ship that has minimum 25km/s ▲v. And this is the ship.

Sure. OPT is perfectly allowed. You may use any mod that isn't cheating. The whole goal is simply to prove that you can get from Kerbol to a nearby star using a life support mod like TAC or Kerbalism and have your crew still be alive at the destination.

7 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Sure. OPT is perfectly allowed. You may use any mod that isn't cheating. The whole goal is simply to prove that you can get from Kerbol to a nearby star using a life support mod like TAC or Kerbalism and have your crew still be alive at the destination.

I've got one more question; Can I build this ship with Extraplanetary Launchpads mod at Low Kerbin Orbit(LKO). Cause I tried more than a hour to fly this ship from kerbin to LKO.but it's impossible to me to do this without Infernal Robotics but this doesn't support 1.2.2.

Edited by TheHacker000

Just now, TheHacker000 said:

I've got one more question; Can I build this ship with Extraplanetary Launchpads mod at Low Kerbin Orbit(LKO). Cause I tried more than a hour to fly this ship from kerbin to LKO.but it's impossible to me to do this without Infernal Robotics

Of course. Everything is allowed except for FTL mods and mods that are obviously cheating in the standard sense.

On 25-1-2017 at 6:46 AM, daniel l. said:

You may use any mod that is realistic. (such as Novapunch or KW Rocketry, Or B9,)You may also choose whichever life support mod you prefer.

What about slower than light engines in KSP Interstellar Extended, like the Daedalus Fusion Engine and Magnetic Nozzle Engine

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, TheHacker000 said:

I've got one more question; Can I build this ship with Extraplanetary Launchpads mod at Low Kerbin Orbit(LKO). Cause I tried more than a hour to fly this ship from kerbin to LKO.but it's impossible to me to do this without Infernal Robotics but this doesn't support 1.2.2.

I think this is actually advised as it allows your vessel to be one piece rather than consisting out of multiple vessels docked together. A single ship has the big advantage of evading the wrath of the Kraken, which will be your biggest enemy for this trip.

Also from a realisitic point of view, it allows you to be highly flexible, which you are going to need as there will be no access to spare parts after you traveled light years.

Edited by FreeThinker

47 minutes ago, TheHacker000 said:

I installed the mod and kopernicus then run the .exe file but after I open the game KSC disappered.

That's a Kopernicus glitch. I can't fix that. However, If you have the side buttons for each building then you should be fine. Might want to make buildings indestructible though as i have yet to find a way of repairing them without the full KSC screen.

17 hours ago, daniel l. said:

That's a Kopernicus glitch. I can't fix that. However, If you have the side buttons for each building then you should be fine. Might want to make buildings indestructible though as i have yet to find a way of repairing them without the full KSC screen.

I may be found the answer. As I guess you make a program to just move and add planet, you probably forget move the main camera. Because of the camera is fixed I can see from the inside of the Interstellar Space. You can look at source of RSS and Kittopia to get how the camera works.(I hope you know game engines otherwise camera means nothing to you)

My god, This challenge is epic. very interested.... Any idea on the Dv requirements for the nearest star system? and time to get there? its gotta be hundreds of years! I mean with the dark drive from OPT and an 87.5% fuel mass ratio. you can achieve 265191.1798 m/s of dv. but getting that kind of ratio with life support is going to be extremely difficult. 

1 minute ago, Leafbaron said:

My god, This challenge is epic. very interested.... Any idea on the Dv requirements for the nearest star system? and time to get there? its gotta be hundreds of years! I mean with the dark drive from OPT and an 87.5% fuel mass ratio. you can achieve 265191.1798 m/s of dv. but getting that kind of ratio with life support is going to be extremely difficult. 

Actually I'm working on it and Ill make it I hope

2 hours ago, Jarin said:

Oh hey, I completely forgot this was a thing, but is Deep Freeze allowed? It sort of shortcuts the life-support requirements for the long trip.

Good question. If you avoid use of infinite power supplies such as RTG's then you may use Deep Freeze.

On 30.1.2017 at 0:57 PM, daniel l. said:

No, it is you ignoring the suggestions of others. Yes, this is caused by Kopernicus. But about 3 updates ago I implemented a workaround for it, and people posted about it in your thread

Please try to actually fix problems instead of outright blaming Kopernicus for it. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Thomas P. said:

No, it is you ignoring the suggestions of others. Yes, this is caused by Kopernicus. But about 3 updates ago I implemented a workaround for it, and people posted about it in your thread

Please try to actually fix problems instead of outright blaming Kopernicus for it. Thank you.

Please don't use that tone. Now, I have tried those suggestions. The result was a broken game. They simply don't appear to work.

Edited by daniel l.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.