RCS not working in attitude control of an asteroid

Hello.

I am currently playing with asteroid and I have an issue with attitude control of one of them.

I have USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies installed. This mod modifies the mass and density of asteroids as so they are bigger and denser than stock (a C'ish' asteroid becomes big as an E'ish' one and so on).

In order to steer the asteroid I have placed 2 ships on the opposite sides of it and they are equipped with a lot of RCS. When the ships are detached the RCS is behaving like it should but when they are attached to the asteroid not even a single drop of monopropellant is used and I have to rely only on reaction wheels for attitude control.

How is that? Is there any option that can enable the RCS to work even when attached to an asteroid.

As a side note I would like to stress that I do have Mechjeb installed too and I tried fiddling with its options but to no avail.

Thanks

When you have multiple ships attached to an asteroid, they all become one ship. When you activate RCS for that one ship, all the RCS ports turn on, everywhere. If that is not happening for you, then it is almost certain that some mod of yours is blocking it from happening. So the first thing to try is disabling some/all of your mods and see if the problem goes away.

This rings a bell. I think there is a KSP bug whereby it calculates the torque each RCS thruster will generate invorrectly, causing those well away from the centre of mass to fire barely, if at all, which is the opposite of what you want to happen. I'm not sure what search terms to suggest, though.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the answer. I don't know why but I missed the notification for this thread and I didn't read it until now. In the meantime I found out by myself that your answer is addressing and solves the issue. On top of that the Vernor Engine comes with rotational degrees of freedom controls disabled by default.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.