Boeing reveals new spacesuit for CST-100

mikegarrison

13 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Orange would look better. Orange always looks good on spacesuits. Dark blue like never really looks good to me. I do like the smaller size. Maybe they can be customizable for each astronaut? :P

Orange is for easy visibility if they have to bail out of the pod after landing, guess that is no longer seen as an priority. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Orange is for easy visibility if they have to bail out of the pod after landing, guess that is no longer seen as an priority. 

Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't use orange. White also would look good. Maybe it's blue because Boeing typically uses blue in their logos and such.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't use orange. White also would look good. Maybe it's blue because Boeing typically uses blue in their logos and such.

Probably the cooperate color, as for bailout they probably think its unlikely, suits would have transponders and the helicopters has IR anyway. 
Also test pilots wore orange suits as they might have to eject at any time and be hard to find and the first astronauts was test pilots. 

Protocol for CST-100 is for astros to stay in the capsule in the event of a contingency ocean landing. Shuttle could've potentially had bailout over ocean, so they needed the extra visibility. 

8 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Protocol for CST-100 is for astros to stay in the capsule in the event of a contingency ocean landing. Shuttle could've potentially had bailout over ocean, so they needed the extra visibility. 

Makes sense, also the shuttle suits was also survival suits for that reason, it makes them hot as they should insulate so well you can survive for many hours in freezing water. 
Survival suits is used on helicopter flights to the oil rigs in the north sea, but also on the rigs if you have to escape and on fishing boats, very effective but also very hot. 
Liked the helmet idea, one benefit is that the suit is easy to stow. 

1 minute ago, Veeltch said:

So is the whole suit inflatable or is the helmet "glass" part attached to the hood somehow?

Its some sort of Plexiglas window who is part of the hood. Hod hang back some normal hoods then open, ziper in front to close it.  Only issue I see that it can scratch easy but probably easy to replace. 

7 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Orange would look better. Orange always looks good on spacesuits. Dark blue like never really looks good to me. I do like the smaller size. Maybe they can be customizable for each astronaut? :P

Only BadS-ses will get orange.
One must deserve orange suit.

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:

suits would have transponders and the helicopters has IR anyway. 

A forester won't, And fishermen, too.

7 hours ago, Kryten said:

Protocol for CST-100 is for astros to stay in the capsule in the event of a contingency ocean landing.

IRL at least 3 spaceships were nearly sinking when have been found. All of them were designed to float.

4 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

I actually prefer the blue, although orange probably is more practical.

It can be both. Blue from the front side where it's seen by the pilot, and orange from back - to be visible for the rescue team.

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

or is the helmet "glass" part attached to the hood somehow?

Btw about helmets. WHERE are those pretty small lamps from inside?

Raises another question, don' the seat look very uncomfortable? its an flat aluminium plate you lay down on, then getting multiple of g force and an bumpy ride. You might even have to lie there for hours if you got launch delays. 
Not an issue with an thick suit but this suit don't look like have much padding. 

And how is it not a good intention?  It keeps the crew in one place, the capsule floats and is watertight, has a rescue beacon, etc...  If you're cherry picking from one flight, you're way off base.

Edited by DerekL1963

2 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

And how is it not a good intention?  It keeps the crew in one place, the capsule floats and is watertight, has a rescue beacon, etc.

It's Gus Grissom's space capsule on the photo, It keeps the crew in one place, designed to float and has a waterlight and a rescue beacon.
The only disadvantage - it was 3 miles underwater.

17 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Raises another question, don' the seat look very uncomfortable? its an flat aluminium plate you lay down on, then getting multiple of g force and an bumpy ride. You might even have to lie there for hours if you got launch delays. 

There is a solution.

Spoiler

116533_medium.jpg

53 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

It's Gus Grissom's space capsule on the photo, It keeps the crew in one place, designed to float and has a waterlight and a rescue beacon.
The only disadvantage - it was 3 miles underwater.

So, since you failed to grasp that I wasn't asking what capsule you posted a picture above... I'll repeat myself.

If you're cherry picking from one mission, you're way off base.

(Still can't understand what do you mean.)
All capsules (Mercry, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, CST-100) are designed to float.
All of them have beacons and flashlights.
All of them a being awaited by a resuce team with planes and helicopters.

What could go wrong?

But IRL
at least one Mercury sank right after splashing (on photo),
as far as I can remember without book, 1..3 of Mercury-Gemini-Apollo were ready to do the same,
at least one Soyuz landed on an icy lake and was escaped by the helicopter right before do so,
one Soyuz (18-1) landed in mountatins after mission abort,
Voskhod landed in the middle of winter forest and received the first aid from the brigade of woodcutters.

So, the capsule is good, but spacesuits are not clothes, they are pure rescue equipment.

P.S.
Would they make a seaship rescue jackets pink, lime an blue?
The passengers would stay near the sinking ship equipped with beacons and light.

Edited by kerbiloid