Technical Science Lab Question Regarding Positioning And Data/Research Values.

NeoAcario

So.. I'm one of the 4k+ hour players like many on here... and I've decided to start a new campaign and challenge myself a little / give myself something to do. The goal: Have a single science lab process each and every piece of science in the Kerbol System. On top of that.. it would be fun to see just how high I can get that science number.

So.. I read that the value you get from the report when turned into data is dependent on the location of the science lab at the moment when you convert it. It wasn't perfectly clear.. but it did mention a distinction between orbit and landed.. and that landed on Kerbin was worthless compared to being in orbit.

My question: Is the modifier when converting science reports into data in a science lab a direct result of the modifier for that location? Example 1: Landed on Kerbin is a 0.3x modifier, while being in high orbit is 1.5x Eample 2: High orbit of Kerbol is 2x, low orbit is 11x.

If I'm understanding this correctly... No matter where you get the science reports from on/around each body... the best place to convert the science reports into Data is:

Kerbol - Low Orbit

Kerbin - High Orbit

Jool - Low Atmosphere (good god!)

All other planets - Landed.

Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

Trying to design my campaign / vessels / missions and these little details will matter greatly. Currently contemplating a mobile land base with refineries to act as a refueling station for a ship to bring in science from around planets.. before the whole thing takes off to go to the next world.

THANKS!!

EDIT: I should really do something about my insanely outdated sig

Edited by NeoAcario

8 hours ago, NeoAcario said:

If I'm understanding this correctly... No matter where you get the science reports from on/around each body... the best place to convert the science reports into Data is:

Kerbol - Low Orbit

Kerbin - High Orbit

Jool - Low Atmosphere (good god!)

All other planets - Landed.

Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

This is not correct. The science location multiplier makes an experiment more valuable (high Kerbin orbit EVA report is worth more than a surface EVA report), but it doesn't affect the way science is processed by the science lab. Instead, the lab has its own internal bonuses.

There is:
- a 5x multiplier for using the lab at all. Any experiment report is multiplied by this when processed, regardless of other factors.
- a 1.25x multiplier for processing an experiment report in the same SoI it was taken in.
- a 1.1x multiplier for processing an experiment report while landed on the surface of the body it came from (even for non-surface science).
- a 0.1x multiplier for being landed on your homeworld (Kerbin, in most games).

These are cumulative, as far as I know. For example, If you process a temperature reading from the surface of Kerbin in a lab landed on the surface of Kerbin, you should be getting 5 x 1.25 x 1.1 x 0.1 = 0.6875 times the base value of the temperature reading by putting it in the lab. Unless the homeworld multiplier overrides all others, I'm not sure about that because I never actually put a science lab on Kerbin's surface. The other three are definitely cumulative, though.

As a result, for maximum science yield, you should process your science reports like so:

- For Kerbin, Jool and the Sun: anywhere in orbit
- For all other locations: landed on the surface

Edited by Streetwind

3 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

As a result, for maximum science yield, you should process your science reports like so:

- For Kerbin, Jool and the Sun: anywhere in orbit
- For all other locations: landed on the surface

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. and with actual numbers!

All of the other information I'm getting, even though it may not all be the same, makes it obvious to process the science while landed/splashed on the planet of origin.

I'm just finding it hard to believe no other factors than 'SOI' and 'Landed' are taken into account.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised; most bodies are only rock and space.  No atmo.. or water.  Wait... Can you confirm that the science lab properly considers splashed as landed?

19 minutes ago, NeoAcario said:

Can you confirm that the science lab properly considers splashed as landed?

I cannot, no. I think it does, and would be surprised if it didn't, but I've never actually tried it ingame. I like solid ground too much.

Should be easy to test though, with the debug menu giving you the ability to teleport a craft anywhere you want nowadays :wink:

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.