Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Depending on the underground, tunnel boring machines would do this in a few months. They drill and leave a ready tunnel with concrete walls behind. Since decades.

So this is going to be a private tunnel or what ?

Or maybe it is the next company founded to gain technological knowledge for Mars colonisation ;-). Think about it.

How do you power Rovers on Mars? electrical ---> Tesla.

How do you Create Power on Mars? Solarcells ---> Solarcity.

How do you travel from one Landingsite to the next? Train in almost-vaccum --> Hyperloop.

How do you create radiation-protected livingspace on Mars? Tunneling ---> the Boring company.

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

I genuinely thought this was some sort of pun connected with Boeing and the new spacesuit.

He actually started talking about this in December '16 already.  :wink: Though, considering all the "boring" puns, a lot of people still thought it was a joke (despite his insistence).

Edited by Streetwind

On 1/26/2017 at 7:41 AM, hms_warrior said:

Or maybe it is the next company founded to gain technological knowledge for Mars colonisation ;-). Think about it.

How do you power Rovers on Mars? electrical ---> Tesla.

How do you Create Power on Mars? Solarcells ---> Solarcity.

How do you travel from one Landingsite to the next? Train in almost-vaccum --> Hyperloop.

How do you create radiation-protected livingspace on Mars? Tunneling ---> the Boring company.

Finally, somebody around here gets Elon Musk

This sounds like sarcasm to me, I think this is just Musk just venting about traffic, probably with a touch of subtle humor.   I know for a fact that you can't permit and lease that much land in the time frame he mentioned.

It's a bit too elaborate for a joke tbh. Remember, Elon Musk is a person who works 80-100 hours per week, uses his meeting calendar to schedule time to spend with family, and occasionally puts up a sleeping bag beside a production line to better supervise the work 24/7. The only time I recall him setting up a genuine joke about his work and/or companies was that one April Fools thing about a Tesla smartwatch, and it lasted less than a day. Considering he's now had "tunnels" listed in his official twitter profile (next to Tesla, SpaceX and OpenAI) for the past one and a half months, I'd be really surprised if this was a prank. That man doesn't have the time nor the inclination to be this frivolous. :P

That said, I don't expect him to start turning the LA underground into a swiss cheese. All indications so far point towards this being a private tunnel that better connects the SpaceX factory to its parking lot, and/or the parking lot to a freeway. Remember, there's several thousand people working there. They can't park at the factory. They have an off-site, dedicated parking lot.

Whether this "Boring Company" does anything else besides that, we'll have to see.