Low Mass Moho Mission

Pretty sure this will the the worst on the scoreboard: 49.637 tons. However, I wanted  to see if I could do it with a standard rocket, and so I didn't use xenon, air breathing engines, or command seats, just a standard 3 stage rocket with the second being an LV-N stage.

moho.png

Edited by maccollo

3 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Ok! 

34.053 tons!

http://imgur.com/a/b13jI

CP8xw3j.jpg

I know people have done much better than this but hey: at least I did it! Mine was also pretty overkill so I can definitely do better. I find Moho is slightly easier than Eeloo since Ions work better closer to the sun.

But that's it for now!

Fire

Nice rocket, It reminds me of my old low Mass Eeloo mission. I also like your ocean landing, after that happened to me one time I though "why not do this again?". In all seriousness, awesome rocket, noice aerocapture. You should put something like this on your YouTube channel.

6 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Nice rocket, It reminds me of my old low Mass Eeloo mission. I also like your ocean landing, after that happened to me one time I though "why not do this again?". In all seriousness, awesome rocket, noice aerocapture. You should put something like this on your YouTube channel.

Thanks! I probably will start a youtube channel at some point. As for recording videos, OBS slows down my game like crazy. I also don't really have a good editing software. So maybe I will actually do that at some point.

Fire

2 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Thanks! I probably will start a youtube channel at some point. As for recording videos, OBS slows down my game like crazy. I also don't really have a good editing software. So maybe I will actually do that at some point.

Fire

Lol I only use movie maker to edit (put a caption and speed it up) my videos. If you do please send me a link.

@maccollo Your submission has been added to the leader board, and I must say, yes it is the heaviest submission thus far but it is by far one of the more interesting ones. No xenon? What? how? Great job and thanks for submitting a submission to the challenge. I remember one day I was watching your Venus mission and thought it was amazing and this mission, whoa, you never fail to impress.

Uh, I think you accidentaly put me on the scoreboard instead of @Firemetal. Actually, I should try to do this sometime, when I get back to my "gaming" computer.

Confusing one person/thing for another happens a lot. I once went several chapters into a mission report not realizing I got the names of two moons mixed up!

Hmm, Moho. There was a SSTO spaceplane video a while ago, but the aero might have changed significantly. I'm thinking maybe a little chair with a tank strapped to it.

Thanks for accidentally naming me, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to do all afternoon!

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Uh, I think you accidentaly put me on the scoreboard instead of @Firemetal. Actually, I should try to do this sometime, when I get back to my "gaming" computer.

Confusing one person/thing for another happens a lot. I once went several chapters into a mission report not realizing I got the names of two moons mixed up!

Hmm, Moho. There was a SSTO spaceplane video a while ago, but the aero might have changed significantly. I'm thinking maybe a little chair with a tank strapped to it.

Thanks for accidentally naming me, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to do all afternoon!

darn. (WHY CAN'T I DO THIS RIGHT???) time to fix it.. I know the pain of a "gaming" computer. Try doing a Jool 5 on a laptop. I would say my Kerbals ran away screaming, but my frame rate isn't high enough for that they just take big steps.

I was right. We can do better. May I present, the Moho Lite Mk. II, weighing in at a whopping 4.750 t.

Mission album here: http://imgur.com/a/PbVRX

eapC9ir.png

For those who think the launch stage looks suspiciously like @Mesklin's...you're absolutely right.

If I really wanted to I could probably shave another ton off of this. But I won't. I don't have enough patience to do another mission full of gravity assists and long ion burns after this.

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I was right. We can do better. May I present, the Moho Lite Mk. II, weighing in at a whopping 4.750 t.

Mission album here: http://imgur.com/a/PbVRX

eapC9ir.png

For those who think the launch stage looks suspiciously like @Mesklin's...you're absolutely right.

If I really wanted to I could probably shave another ton off of this. But I won't. I don't have enough patience to do another mission full of gravity assists and long ion burns after this.

Oh my god how? How did you do this? Wha? If anyone can beat this mass I will be surprised. You should be proud, I think you have made the lightest Moho mission ever. You should post it in this thread: 

Edited by JacobJHC

1 hour ago, JacobJHC said:

Oh my god how? How did you do this? Wha? If anyone can beat this mass I will be surprised. You should be proud, I think you have made the lightest Moho mission ever.

I honestly won't be too surprised if someone beats my mass. The launch profile can be improved to only use air-breathing engines and ions. Furthermore, I could probably design a lighter and more durable re-entry pod using a heat shield with no ablator. Also, I packed more Xenon than I needed and, to be frank, used a bit of a sloppy trajectory. Also, I've learned to never underestimate the KSP community's ability to do the seemingly impossible.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Also, I've learned to never underestimate the KSP community's ability to do the seemingly impossible

Yes, but if you tell someone it won't work they are more likely to try it. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.