KSP Weekly: Per aspera ad astra

SQUAD

57 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

So just because we get free content every so often we should let Squad be silent and not tell us anything?

If it pertains to things in development, absolutely. When was the last time you heard any big company (whether game developers or otherwise) give insight into new features? It's not a common thing, and Squad is under no obligation whatsoever to do so. 

1 hour ago, HoloYolo said:

What if they release a virus with the newest update?

Well now you're just using outlandish hyperbole to prove your point. I don't think that really moves the discussion forward in a meaningful way. 

My main issue is with the mindset that Squad owes us anything. Complaining that there isn't relevant information given implies that they are obligated to give us any information to begin with. This is not true. 

1 hour ago, HoloYolo said:

So just because we get free content every so often we should let Squad be silent and not tell us anything? What if they release a virus with the newest update? Since it's free we should just say "thank you" because it was free. I mean you can't just say "thank you" to everything. It may be polite but it's not telling anyone what's wrong with something or how us consumers feel.

This type of reasoning is tantamount to a person being given something to make their life better and said person throwing it back in the givers face and saying that it isn't satisfactory ... Nobody is 'entitled' to any updates or anything from Squad and the fact they are doing it as a 'courtesy' seems to be lost here

There are 4 mindsets that come to mind in regard to this idea that Squad owes you anything more than what you have already received (Please refer to Murphy's Oil Soap Law):

1- Give me what I want or I'll spread flaming farts and salty tears
2- Don't you even think about not giving me something or I'll spread flaming farts and salty tears
3- Even if you give me what I want I'll spread flaming farts and salty tears
4- Any combination of points 1 through 3

In conclusion, don't bite the hand that feeds ... Not like it's a hand that bleeds you

Spoiler

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 28.01.2017 at 2:38 PM, Hotaru said:

How is the localization of the Kerbal naming system going? It occurs to me it might be useful to have a separate option for the language of Kerbal names only--it might be fun to have (for instance) a Russian-style space program where all the Kerbals get Kerb-Russian names without having to set the entire game to Russian to make it happen. 

Vladimir Kermanov approves.

6 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

It would be cool if there were a "Kerbal Language" option, just the Spanish language with every word reversed, and maybe with simlish-like text for part art.

If it's as moddable as I think they said they were going to try to make it, that might just become a thing.
I'm hoping for Pirate speak.

4 hours ago, Lupi said:

If it's as moddable as I think they said they were going to try to make it, that might just become a thing.
I'm hoping for Pirate speak.

The design is that localisation will be completely moddable to the extent as we can make it. Those details will come.

Maybe would be better not to lokalize namez, but to use some culturally-independent naming system. 
As a sample - Star Wars, where most of characters have randomly generated, easy to read, two/three-word names of unrecognizable culture.
Anyway, "Kerman" means nothing in KSP because all of them are Kerman by default.

In November 2016 @Helmut has published his Russian localization in the Russian speaking community thread. 
For me, it sounds well. Maybe ask him to provide this officially?

P.S.
Vladimir Kermanov sounds like Czech for Russian ear.
Vladimir Kerman sounds "familiar", as a surname of German origin (there are/were many Deutsche in Russia). 
Vladimir Germanov sounds absolutely Russian but not "K".
Kermanov sounds like recognizable familiar Kerman, but in Czech pronunciation, with -ov after recognizable names.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

The design is that localisation will be completely moddable to the extent as we can make it. Those details will come.

Just hope it would allow to have a plain text instead of localization key in a part's title or description, for example, so the parts that are just MM reconfigured copies of the stock ones could still be created "in batch" without any additional pain.

Edited by Ser

17 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Vladimir Kerman sounds "familiar", as a surname of German origin (there are/were many Deutsche in Russia).

I think the accent should be like Kerma'n, so this case sounds fine :wink:

11 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

This right here is the sentiment that baffles me the most. 

People paid for a game. That game was delivered. End of story. Everything after that is a bonus, that we get for free. The only response should be 'thank you.' 

Actually, I paid for early access to a game that was supposed to become something that "let's yo build your own space program". "Thank you" will have to wait until the finished product is delivered.

35 minutes ago, Ser said:

Just hope it would allow to have a plain text instead of localization key in a part's title or description, for example, so the parts that are just MM reconfigured copies of the stock ones could still be created "in batch" without any additional pain.

No MM is required for Localization modifications to work.
You will be able to mix and match watchever you would like from different languages (modified yourself of course) but the localisation will not come that way OOTB.

5 hours ago, cfds said:

Actually, I paid for early access to a game that was supposed to become something that "let's yo build your own space program".

That's irrelevant. No one said that KSP had to achieve your personal definition of "build your own space program". By Squad's definition, that is what the current game does. 

Hate to be the one to tell you, but the early access days are long past. KSP is a fully released game. The fact that they are still updating it just shows how much Squad cares about the game and the community. 

I'm not saying that everyone should grovel at Squad's feet. If you don't like the game feel free to say so. But the notion that past the point of 'full release' they had an obligation to continue development is false. And the fact that they did anyway, I think, deserves some thanks. 

Maybe, at this point in development, having a weekly write up isn't the best idea.  It seems to be causing more harm than good.  I believe in community involvement, but this just isn't working anymore.

Perhaps hold off until you can reveal the super-secret feature.  ...or, if it's been shelved, do us the courtesy of saying so now and not 3 months from now.  You did start this hype train after all.

12 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

No MM is required for Localization modifications to work.
You will be able to mix and match watchever you would like from different languages (modified yourself of course) but the localisation will not come that way OOTB.

Huge, I can't wait to put my hand on this new API :wink: THANKS !

On 1/28/2017 at 11:24 AM, Red Shirt said:

Localization is far more labor intensive than most of us would have guessed.

Speaking from experience, yes, localization is very labor intensive and involves more than just assigning string values. It becomes easier as the number of GUI elements decrease.

56 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

That's good, but you're not everyone

I am aware of this fact.

I don't post here to speak for the masses, I do so for myself. This is a community of individuals, and anybody claiming to have the support of the majority is, frankly, full of snacks. Reliable evidence is required to substantiate such claims, and it simply doesn't exist.

I do feel I must represent myself when I see a lot of people posting in a way with which I assuredly disagree. That is why I say KSP Weekly works for me - it actually suits my increasingly-casual involvement with KSP and the forum very well, seeing as I like to stay in touch with what's happening at a glance but don't want to have to trawl the fora for original announcements. Here it all is in one weekly flyer, and all I have to do is scan it and I have a pretty good idea what's changing, and very roughly how soon it will be implemented.

Honestly, these threads are the best commentary on the state of progress of the game that the KSP Forum has ever hosted. I really don't see what y'all are whining about.

1 minute ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Honestly, these threads are the best commentary on the state of progress of the game that the KSP Forum has ever hosted. I really don't see what y'all are whining about.

I think some are whining because they are used to the old DevNotes.  KSP development is changing, though.  Despite my misgivings about 1.0, 1.2 finally seems like a nearly finished product.  Localization and a few more bug fixes, and Squad could reasonably put this project to bed.  There's just not as much to say anymore, and I wonder if these weekly updates and necessary.  Specifically, if they bring so much ire from some in the community.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

There's just not as much to say anymore, and I wonder if these weekly updates and necessary.  Specifically, if they bring so much ire from some in the community.

I don't know about the first bit - it could be right, but then again it hasn't been so very long since 1.2, and major updates were always quite widely spaced. Until the next one actually arrives, we don't really have a yardstick to measure with.

While the weeklies may just generally be no news/good news, the ire is very old news. The faces change, but the complaints don't much. Vanamonde summed it up pretty well.

Hello Squad!

Goes without saying, Im a big fan :)

Question:

For much of the recent past, the weekly updates have focussed almost excusively on various post-release and marketing issues (localisation, console port, new PR staff etc.) and not as much on software issues (bugs, features, updates).

Thats not a complaint, I presume its a natural part of the product lifecycle.

What I want to ask is, is there another phase of software development on the cards (Are wheels getting another pass? Are there any new features on the drawing board? Are there unity upgrades that will be assimilated? Other stuff? Etc?) or is KSP entering a more "mature" phase, one where its basic nature starts to become more static, dare I say...complete...where further development is devoted (as it appears to be now) to the expansion of the customer base, improvements in branding etc.

Again, nothing should be taken as a complaint, I just want to know what can be expected to happen, say in 2017.

I for one, do not expect KSP to have an infinite development cycle where improvements have to be perpetual and continuous and would welcome a more "mature" phase to KSPs development. If only so that modders and their mods can have a chance to take a breather and perhaps develop themselves a bit, without having to worry about changes to the base game.

Though obviously there *are* some software issues/bugs that could use some attention/polish and if you are desperate to add more awesome features, I won't balk at the idea!

Anyhoo, cheers!

P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.