[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

43 minutes ago, species said:

Finally, after some hours of learning Perl, managed to get tree.cfg :P Its finally working!!!! Is there a similar process with any of the dependencies? Or i shuold be good to go? (i can finally see the parts! )

Was it mean to forget to tell you could just download the current tree.cfg from the last release of RP-0? :P Sorry I thought I mentioned it, but now you know more and can bring it to good use, also you have more parts configured in the up to date tree.cfg :)

There are none that I would be aware of, you should be good!

Does anyone else have an issue with the 4m pod where it continuously does the RCS animation at all times from all RCS ports on the pod? It doesn't use up any RCS propellant, but the animation plays as if it is firing all the time. I've checked through the config with my limited knowledge and can't see any cause...

On 19/03/2017 at 11:09 AM, PhilMcgroin said:

Does anyone else have an issue with the 4m pod where it continuously does the RCS animation at all times from all RCS ports on the pod? It doesn't use up any RCS propellant, but the animation plays as if it is firing all the time. I've checked through the config with my limited knowledge and can't see any cause...

Same issue here.  However I was advised to track down the latest beta release of RO (Which I did but don't have the link handy) and that fixed it. 

That said, I reinstalled RSS expanded, and now the RCS animation has returned.  I do not believe it is related to RSS Ex, but rather a stupid install mistake on my part... still trying to figure out my error.

2 hours ago, Wallygator said:

However I was advised to track down the latest beta release of RO (Which I did but don't have the link handy) and that fixed it.

The patch for the VSR effects was probably not included with the beta testing release.

Anyway, anyone that wants to playtest RSS/RO/RP-0 has to make sure that he/she downloads the the latest RO from the repository. There are a lot of things that are fixed/changed/added almost daily.

@Wallygator No, it is 100% a problem with RO and not RSSEx. Maybe you accidentally reverted to an older RO while installing/uninstalling RSSEx?

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

The patch for the VSR effects was probably not included with the beta testing release.

Anyway, anyone that wants to playtest RSS/RO/RP-0 has to make sure that he/she downloads the the latest RO from the repository. There are a lot of things that are fixed/changed/added almost daily.

@Wallygator No, it is 100% a problem with RO and not RSSEx. Maybe you accidentally reverted to an older RO while installing/uninstalling RSSEx?

Exactly!

This is now an issue with ''my ability to retrace my steps and see what I installed when" that allowed this minor issue to crop up again.

:)

EDIT: It appress to me that the incorrect Mk2 Pod RCS display ONLY reappears when VSR is loaded.  I stripped out ALL my mods, started a clean install and started loading mods incrementally and restarting KSP each time.  The issue reappeared with VSR. I then started unloading mods incrementally, to no effect, UNTIL VSR was removed.

I will now take VSR off my desirable mod list for the time being. (not a huge issue - just visual candy and a few minor parts)

So as it stands now I have a working 1.2.2 RO/RSS/RSSx implementation and I am very happy with the set up so far - except for VSR, but no worries, there are ways to cope :wink:

Many thanks to @Phineas Freak!!!

EDIT @: WAIT... is there an issue with the lunar module ascent engine thrust rating?  Seems way too low now. I thought the original was 3500 pounds of thrust which is like  approx 15kn I think... my conversion math might be wonky.  Or is Kerbal engineer calculating things incorrectly these days? <<<This. Just witnessed it calculating incorrectly and then when removing a part it recalculated to what appears correct.  Weird - need to keep an eye on this.

Edited by Wallygator

[snip]

Because instead of actually updating the installation instructions, or saying "these instructions are not valid again until RO updates", OP decided to add big red text that's only implicit rather than explicit, so OP sends conflicting messages by having the ckan installation instructions up, which explicitly tell you you can install RO with ckan (though this is no longer true, I guess), and red text that just tells you that RO has another update.

For all I know the previous version of RO works with 1.2.2. I've seen plenty of games where not every single update breaks every mod.

Sorry if I'm a little short, but it's been a crappy week and a "RO is not currently compatible with 1.2.2" would've been a sufficient [snip]

5 hours ago, Comet Tail said:

Because instead of actually updating the installation instructions, or saying "these instructions are not valid again until RO updates", OP decided to add big red text that's only implicit rather than explicit, so OP sends conflicting messages by having the ckan installation instructions up, which explicitly tell you you can install RO with ckan (though this is no longer true, I guess), and red text that just tells you that RO has another update.

For all I know the previous version of RO works with 1.2.2. I've seen plenty of games where not every single update breaks every mod.

Sorry if I'm a little short, but it's been a crappy week and a "RO is not currently compatible with 1.2.2" would've been a sufficient [snip]

So, just read again then please. First of all, the mod title is stating 1.1.3.  

Second, the text in red is referencing nothing but manual mod install and the fact some threads got deleted so people are advised to actually search the correct version of this mod for 1.1.3.

There is absolutely no need to state anything about a working 1.2.2 when the first thing you see for this mod thread is a 1.1.3 so all of the rest complies with this fact. 

"But until Realism Overhaul for 1.2.2 is released we kindly ask you to check the download links provided in the respective threads to grab the version which is compatible to 1.1.3 if you intend to do a manual install. Most mods have a version history on either spacedock.com or github.com. "

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

I'm trying to use RO in conjunction with Tantares, and I have edited the respective RO cfg to correctly correspond to the proper part names.

When I build the vehicle, the docking port requires monopropellant, so I add some monoprop tanks. But when I put the whole assembly on the launch pad, there must be some microjitters going on because the whole thing defies gravity and starts floating upwards.

Is there any way to fix this???

Edited by KAO

On 31/03/2017 at 5:10 PM, KAO said:

I'm trying to use RO in conjunction with Tantares, and I have edited the respective RO cfg to correctly correspond to the proper part names.

When I build the vehicle, the docking port requires monopropellant, so I add some monoprop tanks. But when I put the whole assembly on the launch pad, there must be some microjitters going on because the whole thing defies gravity and starts floating upwards.

Is there any way to fix this???

I and a lot of other people had the same problem a while ago, and it was caused by using tweakscale. I don't know if it's been fixed since or if that's what's actually causing your problem but i hope it helps.

It is likely that I am not comprehending things correctly here so please bear with me...

On Wikipedia (Here) the LM descent engine is shown as having a MAX thrust of 45 kN, yet on the engine GUI in RO the H version shows 16.374 kN

I know the engine is throttled. But still this info display makes no sense to me.

Also the Ascent engine (here) indicates 16kN, whilst the RO GUI shows 5kN

To me it looks like there is some discrepancy.

Happy to be set straight here - never too proud to rightly accept being wrong. :)

EDIT: On looking at the engine configs in RO it seems like they are closer to reality AE 15.57 DE 43.9  so why the display issue? and what value is Kerbal Engineer using?

Edited by Wallygator

@Wallygator Maybe you should certify that the proper configs are being applied by Module Manager? Are those the only engines where you observe discrepancies? Thrust in the VAB engine GUI should show max thrust and the percentage of throttling possible.To check what is the actual thrust of the engine, you can test it and use the engine GUI in the flight scene, with the engine working, to check thrust output.

Btw, KER is known to have issues with the calculation of dV when using RealFuels, I would suggest you to use the information from MJ.

Edited by leudaimon
clarification

15 hours ago, leudaimon said:

@Wallygator Maybe you should certify that the proper configs are being applied by Module Manager? Are those the only engines where you observe discrepancies? Thrust in the VAB engine GUI should show max thrust and the percentage of throttling possible.To check what is the actual thrust of the engine, you can test it and use the engine GUI in the flight scene, with the engine working, to check thrust output.

Btw, KER is known to have issues with the calculation of dV when using RealFuels, I would suggest you to use the information from MJ.

Thanks I'll check it out. 

EDIT: OK, seems the MJ dV and thrust calculations are correct along with matching flight view tests - so I would therefore suppose that the configs are loading correctly.  So the only thing that remains suspect is the RO/RF Engine GUI information displayed in the engine properties in the VAB. <--- and as a stretch assumption, whether KER is feeding of this incorrect data.

Shifting my play to using MJ solves the playability issue for me, but still... the incorrect Engine GUI info remains a minor peeve. 

THANK YOU @leudaimon !

(Note: I don't have the inclination to assess all the engines, but will do what I can as I proceed.)

Edited by Wallygator

12 hours ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Looks like the ScanSat link has this http - https://web.archive.org/web/20160522190749/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369

The bold italics suggest a hijack as I had to delete it to get http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369 to get to the intended link ?

Soon to be fixed. Thanks for reporting this. 

Experiences running RO on 1.2.2:

Hi all,

I just tried to test-install the RO-dev, and thought it might be helpful to give an overview on how I did it. - It was actually a lot less daunting than I feared.

My steps where:

1. get a clean KSP 1.2.2.
  2. Install ckan, and go to "settings->compatible KSP versions", check the boxes for 1.1 and 1.2
  3. get the following mods from ckan:
  • Advanced Jet Engine
  • FAR
  • KJR
  • RealChute
  • Real Fuels
  • Real Heat
  • Real Plume
  • Smoke Screen
  • ModularFlightIntegrator
  • Real Solar System
  • RSS Textures
  • B9 Procedural Wings (I don't use it, so I didn't test this.)

• Connected Living Space

• Deadly Re-entry

• Filter Extensions

• Firesplitter

• Hangar Extender

• KSP Automatic Version Checker

• Procedural Parts

• RCS Build Aid

• Remote Tech

• Saturatable Reaction Wheels

• TAC Life Support

• Texture Replacer

• Procedural Fairings - For Everything

• Toolbar

• Persistant Rotation (I don't like this, so I didn't install)

• Community Resource Pack

• Community Category Kit

4. Install the following by hand, using the links given by https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19_dhwSioZODCCtMFD0kZOtbmbg--ryoE0nzoWJL2cRc/edit#gid=0

I hope I got everything exactly as I installed it. I'll report more on how well this works.

Gustav

PS: Please be aware that the great people maintaining this mod, declar this as test! So complaining is discouraged. :)

PPS: Thanks to all those working on the mod. :)

Important EDIT:

I revisited this and found that some of the mods in ckan will install a "stock" config file if they don't see Realism Overhaul as installed. Therefore I suggest to take a close look at those cases, deny those stock files and install the relevant mods by hand. - Sorry for not being more specific, I just don't recall which ones they were.

Edited by Lilienthal

I'm having an unusual issue - I've installed the mod as in the post above for 1.2.2, and it seems to be working fine. Only thing which is missing is the Avionics Tonnage Limits in probe core / capsule information pane. Is anyone else experiencing this issue at all?

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I'm being stupid and avionics may well be something which is added by rp-0. Since rp-0 isn't 1.2 compatible, it would explain the lack of tonnage limits. If this is the case, pls ignore my above post! 

Edited by Kerbonaught

@Kerbonaught, I believe you are right, avionics is a feature of RP0.

RP0, BTW, is also already working (not flawlessly but playable.) In case the use of perl stops you, here a Tree.cfg file to download.  https://pastebin.com/4zUXR7g9

(important: I am not 100% sure whether distributing this is in line with the licences. I believe so, but if not, please tell me, and I'll remove.)

Hey all, im running RO on 1.2.2 with some exeptions, and it's running great exept for some issues with Plume not working on  the Jets: Atar 9K-50, Avon RB.146 Mk.302, J57-P-21, J75-P-17 and J79-GE-17. Sinse i basicly play KerbalJetProgram, it's a mayor bummer.

I posted about it in the AJE thread, im wondering if anyone can confirm this on there end, so it's just not me?

Thanks! It's certainly an rp-0 issue - I've got everything working now except avionics. 

One RO question though, I'm getting substantially more "vapour in the fuel lines" engine shutdowns with the aerobee than i remember, whenever i use the tiny Tim for instance the upper stage will not light, or if i ground light it it goes out on Sep...