[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Why are the Mk-3 fueslage parts WAY bigger than the B-52 cockpit from SXT? The B-52 cockpit is Mk-3-shaped.

Edited by Murican_Jeb

7 hours ago, Slainte Maith said:

Yes, but once it gets close to 0 periapsis, the apoapsis goes nvts and skyrockets.  Even with negative pitch.  It's -very- tricky with something like sputnik where you don't get a second stage, or a payload with thrust to clean up after.

Close as I can get is Pe: 184km

Ap: 1.76853Mm.  I just can't react that fast.

This is actually very accurate. If you look at the orbits of the early satellites, they were highly elliptical like you are getting. It wasn't until later when restartable engines and bipropellant engines came around when you/they could fine tune and circularize orbits. 

7 hours ago, Slainte Maith said:

Yes, but once it gets close to 0 periapsis, the apoapsis goes nvts and skyrockets

That means that you are not managing your pitch good enough. You should carefully maintain your trajectory so that your vertical speed is close to zero at insertion. If your time to AP is going forward too much when aiming for your initial AP, then probably your initial launch profile was too steep or too shallow.

What I usually do is first setting up initial launch parameters in MechJeb ascent profile editor, like 90m/s turn start velocity, 120km turn end altitude, 5deg final angle and 50% shape (this can be all different for different launch vehicles), and set 'Orbit altitude' to my desired apoapsis value. Then I just sit, activate stages manually or sometimes using Smart Parts for side boosters sep after depletion, and watch my current apoapsis value. When it approaches my desired periapsis height, I start reducing final angle value and trying too keep my AP at about the same altitude. This phase of flight continues until the AP is reached, and can include negative pitch angles to avoid AP rising too much.

The next phase starts at the AP (which will be the final PE), and now I'm keeping my vertical speed as close to 0 as possible, again by managing angle value at the ascent profile editor, increasing or decreasing it depending on what I see in KER vertical speed display. Usually at the beginning of this phase that pitch angle becomes positive again and slowly drops until you finally reach orbit.

In order to not have to determine all these parameters for each flight, avoid constructing a new rocket around your payload each time, and instead have different launch vehicles for different kinds of payloads and destinations saved as subassemblies, keeping launch parameters for each of them in some document that you can read before launch and just enter the values and press Launch.

Edited by Eklykti

5 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Why are the Mk-3 fueslage parts WAY bigger than the B-52 cockpit from SXT? The B-52 cockpit is Mk-3-shaped.

Mk-3 parts are scaled to match Space Shuttle and mk3 cockpit. You can copy them and resize to match B-52 like I did:

DhMxwsX.png

10 hours ago, Slainte Maith said:

It's -very- tricky with something like sputnik where you don't get a second stage

10 hours ago, Slainte Maith said:

Close as I can get is Pe: 184km

Ap: 1.76853Mm.  I just can't react that fast.

For the record, here are the Ap and Pe values of Sputnik 1 to 3:

• Sputnik 1: 215 km x 939 km
  • Sputnik 2: 211 x 1659 km
  • Sputnik 3: 217 km x 1864 km

I'd say that you are doing a pretty good job with the tech from that era! Precision orbital insertions were not achieved until the Thor-Ablestar (Transit-1B) and Vostok (Korabl-Sputnik 2) launchers were brought into service. Both of them had either low thrust upper stages (Blok-E) and/or the ability to restart (Ablestar).

Edit: ninja'ed by @pap1723 (should have read the whole thread...)

Edited by Phineas Freak

Using Eklykti's method...

I got 259 x 135.
...but I put a forward-translation capable RCS on the nose of the Mercury capsule and dragged myself into 259x158 and feel better about it all, seeing as the Atlas will now burn up in the atmosphere.

(I just looked this up: John Glen's first orbit was 265x159...so not bad!)

Still.  Getting closer.  This was, after all, just a first go.  I've love to see a guidance program written for KoS or something similar.  Seems like it -should- be able to be done--only by heads smarter than mine.

Edited by Slainte Maith

1 hour ago, Slainte Maith said:

Using Eklykti's method...

I got 259 x 135.
...but I put a forward-translation capable RCS on the nose of the Mercury capsule and dragged myself into 259x158 and feel better about it all, seeing as the Atlas will now burn up in the atmosphere.

(I just looked this up: John Glen's first orbit was 265x159...so not bad!)

Still.  Getting closer.  This was, after all, just a first go.  I've love to see a guidance program written for KoS or something similar.  Seems like it -should- be able to be done--only by heads smarter than mine.

there plenty, I'll have some videos and links for you shortly.

14 hours ago, winged said:

Mk-3 parts are scaled to match Space Shuttle and mk3 cockpit. You can copy them and resize to match B-52 like I did:

DhMxwsX.png

I tried to do that but I don't know which files to copy and change.

@g00bd0g The command module must specify the hasHibernation parameter. And most old crewed command modules never had the ability to (easily) shut down their systems.

Do also note that standby consumption can generally be high: the CST-100 CM for example will require at least 1000 W while docked (that is not accounting any future changes - this value comes from current docs) and you cannot say that it will use the same tech as the 1960s technology that RO provides.

1 hour ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Hi, I am having some problems. I  have Ven's Stock Revamp for 1.2.2, but it says a lot of parts are not R.O. I also have Tantares and Tantares LV installed, and they have the same problem, though it says that all of these mods are supported on the front page. Why?

List of Mods, output_log.txt and modulemanager.cache please, as usual :)

Hi all.  I'm not sure if this a problem with my installation, RO, RP-0, or RemoteTech, but the Communotron DTS-M1 (which has a range reaching throughout the inner planets in the description) in the game only has a range of 250mm.  There are discrepancies between the described range of other comms parts too, but the only one I tested, the HG-55, seemed normal, i.e. range to Venus, and sometimes to Mars.  

Also, the stated part for the DTS-M1, i.e. mediumdishantenna, seems absent from the files I checked... from the RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg in and the RO_RemoteTech.cfg in \RO_RecommendedMods.  I'm attempting to manually change the range of the part, and we'll see if I'm competent enough to do that.  

Apologies if this has been unclear; I am technologically illiterate.

5 hours ago, Jack95970002 said:

in the game only has a range of 250mm

Assumming that you mean "Mm": that is the range of the antenna itself. Using the Earth DSN stations it is good up to ~170 Gm, as the part description says.

5 hours ago, Jack95970002 said:

the stated part for the DTS-M1, i.e. mediumdishantenna, seems absent from the files I checked...

The "Communotron DTS-M1" part resides under the "GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/commsAntennaDTS-M1" path. It is a stock part. If you are missing it then you may have some problems with your installation.

Lunar heatshield parts missing

Hello everyone! I need a little help please. I´ve got an awesome RO install incl. RP-0, Testflight, RSSVE, KCT and so on... everything is running real fine. I am so happy and thankfull to all the modders and the community itself which provided so much fun in space...

And as i am building my first lunar rated rockets i recognized that no lunar rated heatshields are available anymore... just nowhere in the tech tree (community tech tree).

I opened a sandbox game - same problem... everything i remember from earlier games (concerning parts) is available except for those lunar heatshields ... any idea ???

Stats...

RO v11.5.0

Venstockparts revamp v1.9.6

deadly reentry v7.5.0

community tech tree v3.0.3

Thank you....

Solution was to delete all modulemanager temp files (cache, techtree...)

Edited by Sardaukar
found solution

41 minutes ago, Sardaukar said:

community techtree

When you say "Community Tech Tree" you mean this one?

Because without also installing RP-0 there is absolutely no way for you to play career mode with RO.

Do note that RP-0 is not compatible with KSP 1.2 yet.

Edit: also, can you place the contents of that file that you posted inside a spoiler tag?

Edited by Phineas Freak

I´ve got a working RP0, KCT, RO, RSS, Testflight, Fasa and so on  Version in KSP 1.22 (not kidding)

and i am absolutely happy with it... some smaller bugs ... but no crashes or so.

Btw. thank you for your fast reply... Finally i found the solution...

Hello there everyone, I've got a small question for you! I'm planning on doing alternate history RO/RP-0 playthrough where Western Europe joins the space race. And so, I am looking for modpacks that include EUROPEAN engines, the more the better. Since you guys have been playing the **** out of this game you'd probably know better than me which ones I need.

28 minutes ago, Rothank said:

Hello there everyone, I've got a small question for you! I'm planning on doing alternate history RO/RP-0 playthrough where Western Europe joins the space race. And so, I am looking for modpacks that include EUROPEAN engines, the more the better. Since you guys have been playing the **** out of this game you'd probably know better than me which ones I need.

• KW Rocketry: Vulcain, HM-7(B)
  • SSTU: Vinci
  • Forgotten Real Engines: Ariane 4 engines

to  name a few out of my head :)

46 minutes ago, Rothank said:

16 minutes ago, Theysen said:
  • KW Rocketry: Vulcain, HM-7(B)
  • SSTU: Vinci
  • Forgotten Real Engines: Ariane 4 engines

to  name a few out of my head :)

Also Gamma and Waxwing from SXT (UK's Black Arrow rocket).

But really since you're talking alt-history you're going to have to invent a lot of stuff to fill the gaps in real history or substitute in real US/Russian designs.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

curious if anyone knows whether RO patches exist for OPT Spaceplanes...thinking to make some myself, but wanted to see if anyone got it to work with RO/RSS

so far, I installed it directly into my RO/RSS/TACLS game, and the tanks work ( i can select whatever fuel I want), the cockpit work but have no sesources set and no TACLS modules (air scrubber, etc). The scale is of course wrong, everything being tiny. 

The engines do not work at all, requiring Liquid Fuel. Havent tested yet whether the aerodynamics work.

Is it really hard to make the IVA work in RO scale? I love the IVAs from the OPT Spaceplanes, and I am generally a sucker for IVAs...

@Rothank the RZ-2 is basically the LR79-NA-3 with conical nozzles, and plausibly could be uprated as the US one was (and eventually to H-1). BDB might have some European stuff as well as what @Theysen mentioned, and also maybe some of Raidernick's mods? Finally, Lionhead had some old parts that IIRC we configure.