[Poll] Should I turn this into a mod?

Gameslinx

Should I turn this into a mod?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I turn this into a mod?

Hello! I've put together an image of some planets I have spent the last 2 weeks making. I would like to ask you guys whether I should compile this and turn it into a mod for you to use. 

The only reason I am asking this is because the creation is still in its beta/early stages. There are only 5 planets, though they are mostly complete (still lacking biome maps for three of them).

I'll add a poll and the images below so you can make a vote!

BIRAorO.jpg

Edited by Gamel0rd1

I love the styles of these planets, they appear to have some very interesting geography and I'd very much like to see where you go with this mod as it develops. I particularly like the appearance of Niebos; color schemes like that are not often seen in planet mods. I think it's a pretty good idea to release a beta version of the mod even if the planets aren't quite finished, as that will allow people to download the mod and play with it throughout various updates.

By the way, do you/will you have custom science definitions for them all? That's something which I particularly like to see in a planet pack (especially if there are also custom definitions for DMagic and other popular science mods), and I'm sure others would agree that it makes people more likely to download them.

Edited by eloquentJane

18 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I love the styles of these planets, they appear to have some very interesting geography and I'd very much like to see where you go with this mod as it develops. I particularly like the appearance of Niebos; color schemes like that are not often seen in planet mods. I think it's a pretty good idea to release a beta version of the mod even if the planets aren't quite finished, as that will allow people to download the mod and play with it throughout various updates.

By the way, do you/will you have custom science definitions for them all? That's something which I particularly like to see in a planet pack (especially if there are also custom definitions for DMagic and other popular science mods), and I'm sure others would agree that it makes people more likely to download them.

Thank you so much for your support! I might release a beta some time during the week, I need to have a clear and sort of my folders and make sure that everything works without Hyperedit and EVE (I'm going to add rr configs).

As for your query about science values, Dusk and Olei have Biome maps. They're relatively easy to make (take the colormap and have a low colour depth so everything is only 8 or so colours for the science values). I really want to have the biome maps and science values sorted before the beta, so people can use the planets in career mode!

(Side note) About the colour schemes, they're generally correct but very rough, especially for Niebos. I'm a terrible 'artist' and I have to rely on the Heightmap for colours (low points are all one colour, high points also, maybe gradients at some places). I'm hoping I can improve the look of the planets further down the line (I'm sure the older ones will get a colouring overhaul at some point)

And as for DM Science, Karbonite/Kethane and whatnot, that may be later down the line. The mod is only developed by myself and I have limited time in the week (only around 2-3 hours a day!), but I can hopefully assure you that the planets' configs will be suited for EVE/SVE, the most common science mods (probably DM science) and *possibly* Karbonite/resource mods.

Edited by Gamel0rd1

I was actually talking about science definitions, as in the usually-unique messages that appear whenever you do a science experiment. It's nice to see those in a planet mod, though I imagine it's a lot of work to go through all of them and wouldn't expect it from a beta release.

Also, it may seem simplistic, but I quite like how color mapping based on altitude has turned out. It kind of gives the feeling that the planets have different geological layers, and Niebos looks as though it might have some life (I don't know whether that's intentional but I think it might be a good idea to consider talking about it in the science definitions, like perhaps implying that it looks like there's plant life on the surface). Perhaps improving the coloration method would be a good plan for future updates, but I certainly think that the way you've done it currently looks good enough for a beta release.

9 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I was actually talking about science definitions, as in the usually-unique messages that appear whenever you do a science experiment. It's nice to see those in a planet mod, though I imagine it's a lot of work to go through all of them and wouldn't expect it from a beta release.

Also, it may seem simplistic, but I quite like how color mapping based on altitude has turned out. It kind of gives the feeling that the planets have different geological layers, and Niebos looks as though it might have some life (I don't know whether that's intentional but I think it might be a good idea to consider talking about it in the science definitions, like perhaps implying that it looks like there's plant life on the surface). Perhaps improving the coloration method would be a good plan for future updates, but I certainly think that the way you've done it currently looks good enough for a beta release.

4 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Well technically it's already a mod, just not a publicly available mod. :wink:

I've released its beta!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.