Kerbin 2 challenge

I may have misread something...  For ultimate, are you supposed to get your Kerbal back to the surface of Kerbin alive?

I built a ship that could do the ultimate challenge, but had no provisions for re-entry.  I honestly couldn't even figure out how to get a parachute onboard.  (unmodified - if I had mods and could use kerbal parachutes, that may be different)

I was able to do LEGEND with a little mass, and 600DV to spare...

So... are those people completing ultimate actually returning a live kerbal to the surface without mods?

54 minutes ago, daniel911t said:

So... are those people completing ultimate actually returning a live kerbal to the surface without mods?

I did.

I placed a drogue chute under the pilot seat. The craft was destroyed when splashed down, but I dropped Valentina off her seat a few meters before, and she survived.

Apparently, I could use the MK-16 chute instead and make a soft landing of the craft. It’s only 25 kg heavier. Or I could place a TR-2V decoupler between the craft and the seat with the drogue chute. I’d landed the Kerbal softly, and it’s only 15 kg. I had been afraid of adding more mass, but it turned out that I had some 900 m/s of spare Δv.

Edited by Teilnehmer

Now I realize that I could do better.

I could get rid of the probe core and replace two Z-200 batteries with one Z-100. I performed every maneuver at the light side (well, except for one, but I could avoid that). Four solar panels allow the ion engine work at 90% thrust (1.8 kN) without any battery.

Alternatively, I could have 3 or 2 solar panels and an additional battery.

Less xenon, less LfO. I think, the total mass could be lowered to 4 tons.

Edited by Teilnehmer

6 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Would you please clarify the rule for "difficult," which stated: max size 3.75 meters (so nothing stick out from it?), no refuel (both docking and/ or ISRU?)and max weight is 40 tons (the initial launch or count from in orbit?)

i've been under the predication that weight limit is on the launch pad. 3.75m would be the size of parts like the kerbodyne fuel tanks, i imagine putting 2 of them next to one another is okay. and absolutely no refueling of any kind. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1 de febrero de 2017 at 5:35 PM, tseitsei89 said:

Hmm... the problem seems to be drag. Since there is no 0.625m fairing the craft will be extremely draggy. Plus you also have to do some "creative" solutions for re-enrty since service bays, fairings and all crew modules are 1.25m or bigger :P And that creative re-entry solution will probably further increase your drag since it has to be big enough to hide the kerbal completely.... I wasn't able to (quickly) find a way to do all of this at once.

Well... Something I want to tell to you is that you can put the small nose cone that has not so much drag :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.