[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

Butai, the 'waterworld', is pretty much finished. The next release of the mod is coming out today so if you have any concerns, please let me know before tonight :)

8i8TEWx.jpg

I'm doing the final few bug sweeps of Butai and also Fume, Scorch and Niebos, since they are all getting nicer looking atmospheres. Butai will not have oxygen.

CeN6m06.jpg

Edited by Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Butai, the 'waterworld', is pretty much finished. The next release of the mod is coming out today so if you have any concerns, please let me know before tonight :)

8i8TEWx.jpg

I'm doing the final few bug sweeps of Butai and also Fume, Scorch and Niebos, since they are all getting nicer looking atmospheres. Butai will not have oxygen.

CeN6m06.jpg

That stuff is epic!

Can you tell me how you create those amazing scatterer models? I can get scatterer to work, but it doesn't ever look as good.

42 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

That stuff is epic!

Can you tell me how you create those amazing scatterer models? I can get scatterer to work, but it doesn't ever look as good.

Taken from the Scatterer mod page:

Spoiler

config tool is DX11 ONLY!

This config tool will allow you to generate new precomputed tables for the atmosphere, basically this is the only way to tweak atmosphere colors.

I haven't updated this in a while but you can ignore the planet name field.

Rg is the planet radius (it says diameter in the tool but it's wrong) Rt is the height of the atmosphere. RL is the limit of the atmosphere but it works weird.

(Keep in mind it is not important what the actual value of Rg, Rt or RL is, what matters are the ratios Rt/Rg and Rl/Rg, Rg is automatically scaled to your chosen planet's radius, Rt and RL are scaled by factors of ChosenPlanetRadius/Rg)

Also, you don't need to change Rg from the original value, just copy everything into KSP and it'll rescale automatically.

Half heights are the height in km that half the particles are found below. If you modify Rt and Rl you have to modify these or you get artifacts.

To use this, just enter your settings and press generate, if you're satisfied with the result, copy the .raw files (ScattererTool_Data\Proland\Textures\Atmo) and  manually open the .xml file (\ScattererTool_Data) from the tool folder and copy the settings into your planet of choice's settings.cfg file in the scatterer folder and replace the files in the scatterer mod folder with them. As of scattererv0.024 (1.1 compatibility update), scatterer now uses .half files, any .raw files will be converted to .half IF NO .half FILE EXISTS. Therefore copy the .raw files like usual and delete any existing .half files, the new .raw files will be converted automatically to .half, you only need to distribute the latter.

You can download the config tool provided by Blackrack here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/c17fe61a316d8e0e03b769ebc64741e1755ab2c4/configTool.zip

I usually just mess about with the settings until I see something good :) . There are some bugs with the custom atmospheric models, though, that require some tweaking. For example in my second image above, you can see the lines of the atmosphere :wink: 

Edited by Gameslinx

9 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@Gameslinx (I just realized you changed your forum name) I do use the scatterer tool but for some reason I keep getting strange overlay issues. According to @Galileo it's something with the... post-processing if I remember correctly.

No idea what stuff I need to alter to fix that.

Hmm. Strange. I don't mess with the postprocessing, however I might in the future...

What I do is create my atmosphere in the tool (Maybe increasing the atmosphere height a tad), then change the colour and smooth it out. I think the difference is I always use Kerbin's atmosphere, change 'ExperimentalGlobalScale' and 'AtmosphereGlobalScale' to 1. The former is usually 2 for some reason. If you want I can provide one of my own configs and you could just swap the .raw or .half files? I've only experimented with the tool for a day

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Hmm. Strange. I don't mess with the postprocessing, however I might in the future...

What I do is create my atmosphere in the tool (Maybe increasing the atmosphere height a tad), then change the colour and smooth it out. I think the difference is I always use Kerbin's atmosphere, change 'ExperimentalGlobalScale' and 'AtmosphereGlobalScale' to 1. The former is usually 2 for some reason. If you want I can provide one of my own configs and you could just swap the .raw or .half files? I've only experimented with the tool for a day

Looks like you took my advice.. good. Using any of the default scatterer cfgs is the best practice. And easiest way to get what you want. The instructions for the config tool I think need updating.

btw 1 is a bit low for the atmosphere global scale. You could end up with funny looking visuals. For ex: your scatterer effects may look more like a fog than an atmosphere. But to each their own. 

Welcome to version 1.2a.

KnVPSjk.jpg

Olu'um has a new accretion disk

Nos3fc7.jpg

Added planet 'Butai'

QjNwggJ.png

Sojos has a volcano

JL8roxE.jpg

And most other planets with atmospheres got a complete scatterer overhaul.

I have also restructured the file system to make it easier to install both the planets and visual mods.

Changelog coming soon.

- Removed VEGA due to terrain and scaledspace issues.

Hurry up and go download!

Please let me know if there are any bugs, and I shall attempt to fix them as soon as possible!

Hey everyone!

The new changelog is out and about!

Version 1.2a for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2
Released on 2017-03-19
IMPORTANT: Any ships landed on VEGA will be deleted.

• Removed Vega due to PQS issues
  • Changed Niebos's atmosphere to turquoise and made it thicker
  • Thickened Sonus's atmosphere
  • Thickened Scotch's atmosphere
  • Added Butai
  • Added deep purple atmosphere to Butai
  • New accretion disk texture around Olu'um
  • Adjusted orbit of Olu'um to be slightly further out than Dres
  • Updated tiling of textures on planets
  • Removed unused textures from CTTP
  • Fixed Niebos's strange shiny land
  • Adjusted Fume clouds to rotate at the equator
  • Fume atmosphere thickened
  • Added more cracks to Scorch
  • Added custom asteroids configs around Olu'um
  • Added Olumnian galactic marker Easter egg to Butai (Terrain)
  • Added Olumnian galactic marker Easter egg to Niebos (Terrain)
  • Added Decals which I can use for adding detailed Easter eggs and whatnot
  • Added Decal volcano to Sojos, 11KM high
  • "Removed Herobrine"

You may notice that there have been... Two new Easter eggs... Added to the planets. Let's just say that 'texture glitch' on Butai's mountain is not... A glitch...

Whoever finds it first gets to name a ship in the mod lore if you like, perhaps a moon - within reason. All the Easter eggs on each planet tie into the lore :)

Go on then - get searching! (I'd like a picture of the rocket before, during and after the launch if possible. No cheating!)

PS: Why not hold a small challenge? I'm curious to see how long it would take. Remember you're looking for the (...thing...) on Butai. Careful, its atmosphere has no oxygen!

And yes, if you find it first you can name a ship for the mod lore or a moon (depending on the name :) ) I've certainly ran out of name ideas hehe

Looks incredible... My only suggestion, thus far, is that it'd be nice for my lazy behind if it was indexed/installable/updatable by CKAN... I have no idea what that requires, and I am fully capable of downloading and unzipping it myself, I've just gotten into the habit of filtering by updateable and grabbing things that way. :)

Fully realize that my laziness shouldn't be a reason to make more work for you, so if it's not easily doable, completely understood. :P

Thanks again for all the wonderful work in here, so far!

7 hours ago, Submho said:

if it was indexed/installable/updatable by CKAN

I'm not going to add it to CKAN yet because then I would have to manage that as well, which I don't really want to - if I update something, theres a good chance CKAN will mess it up.

In the future, I will probably add it to CKAN, but not yet since the updates to this mod are very frequent

3 hours ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

it's the same bug i had last time, but opposite. all the moons (like sojos) are fine, but sonus is a huge white dot. also, there's a decal of the water that lags my game somewhat hardly.

I'm going to need a screenshot of your game and GameData folder please :)

7 minutes ago, Jivaii said:

Kottabo saw you and loved it!

Now to install this alongside OPM for SOOOO MANY PLACES!

Is there any tie ins with USI?

Only mod support so far is OPM and Custom Asteroids.

And a great thanks to Kottaboss!

So, I've got a problem, I've downloaded the newest version and the previous version and whenever I got to launch the game, it crashes. I'm tried a bunch of different combinations and I've narrowed it down to the module manager included. If I leave it out, the game works fine but the mod won't work. If I swap the managers or leave both in, the game outright refuses to work. What am I doing wrong?

33 minutes ago, Update Guy said:

So, I've got a problem, I've downloaded the newest version and the previous version and whenever I got to launch the game, it crashes. I'm tried a bunch of different combinations and I've narrowed it down to the module manager included. If I leave it out, the game works fine but the mod won't work. If I swap the managers or leave both in, the game outright refuses to work. What am I doing wrong?

Multiple module managers? You should only have the latest one.

1 hour ago, Update Guy said:

Gonna edit this  into the main post:

You MUST run the game in 64 Bit. The mod uses a lot of RAM to store the textures, and thus it exceeds KSP x32's limit.

To run in 64 bit mode, head to you Kerbal Space program directory and run KSP_x64.exe

In your GAMEDATA folder you must have:

- Olei, Modular flight integrator, Kopernicus, CTTP, Instantiator, Modulemanager (ONE version of it), Environmental visual enhancements (optional), scatterer (optional)

17 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm not going to add it to CKAN yet because then I would have to manage that as well, which I don't really want to - if I update something, theres a good chance CKAN will mess it up.

In the future, I will probably add it to CKAN, but not yet since the updates to this mod are very frequent

Perfectly fair reasoning. Like I said, I had to nitpick and think hard to find anything to complain about. :)

Love the new accretion disc on Olu'um! Keep up the good work. 

On 3/14/2017 at 2:10 PM, Gameslinx said:

Hey all! I have a community project. As I've spent a lot of time writing Science Definitions, it looks like it's going to take weeks. It would be really awesome if you could chip in a bit and add some Science Definitions if possible. Here's the link to the document and you all have permission to edit.

If, however, you are not responsible, I will block you from the document. Please be civilised, because this is extremely useful!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BoLUfe0VlH6Ixei7lYf2Prw6GUvsFIBAkNkSGwfSwUM/edit?usp=sharing

I'd love to try to help out with this. I'll give it a bit more research to make sure my syntax is proper (along with building something that lets me bounce from biome to biome a bit more easily. Good to take a look around for more inspiration). Wouldn't be much help if it required you to put in a bunch more work correcting my syntax. If nothing else, a free bump to bring the doc back to the forefront for anyone who didn't see it before.