[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

So after about an hour or so of playing "Guess which mod is crashing the game?" I finally took a peek into my save file with the overhaul added on (I made a new save just to ogle the planets with EVE and scatterer running.

First thing I noticed, the science rover from my Minmus base is now on Moho. I actually haven't made it to Moho yet so that was weird. Not passing up free science though.

Second is, MY MINMUS BASE/GAS STATION IS GONE! Like vanished into the ether. Not even on the tracking station

The only logical conclusion is: magic space asteroid that warped one rover onto Moho and did something to my base. Oh well, I was planning to send a far superior base out there eventually.

5 minutes ago, Update Guy said:

The only logical conclusion is: magic space asteroid that warped one rover onto Moho and did something to my base. Oh well, I was planning to send a far superior base out there eventually.

i think the kraken is back :D

i need to go to bop and see if it stell alive:cool:

but did this hapend inmidiatly or when you updated

30 minutes ago, Update Guy said:

So after about an hour or so of playing "Guess which mod is crashing the game?" I finally took a peek into my save file with the overhaul added on (I made a new save just to ogle the planets with EVE and scatterer running.

First thing I noticed, the science rover from my Minmus base is now on Moho. I actually haven't made it to Moho yet so that was weird. Not passing up free science though.

Second is, MY MINMUS BASE/GAS STATION IS GONE! Like vanished into the ether. Not even on the tracking station

Did you update the mod or is it a clean install: IE: did you run the game without GPO before re-applying it?

If so, you should expect that.

Minmus is removed and replaced with Gullis, which means any craft landed there will move to the planet with the closest 'Flight Global Index' value. Minmus's value is 2 or 3, so it's likely Moho is the nearest one from that (planet order goes Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Moho, Eve, then so on outwards from Kerbol)

When installing any planet mod, start a new save!

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i think the kraken is back :D

i need to go to bop and see if it stell alive:cool:

but did this hapend inmidiatly or when you updated

After I updated.

44 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Did you update the mod or is it a clean install: IE: did you run the game without GPO before re-applying it?

If so, you should expect that.

Minmus is removed and replaced with Gullis, which means any craft landed there will move to the planet with the closest 'Flight Global Index' value. Minmus's value is 2 or 3, so it's likely Moho is the nearest one from that (planet order goes Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Moho, Eve, then so on outwards from Kerbol)

When installing any planet mod, start a new save!

I'm not too worried really. I was a little irritated at first since I was planning to use the base to fuel my Duna base but with like 400 days until that window, I've got time to establish a new mining operation on Gullis and send out another Fuel shuttle.

Also you can't be mad after figuring out it was the magic space asteroid/space kraken. First I've encountered him.

1 minute ago, Update Guy said:

After I updated.

I'm not too worried really. I was a little irritated at first since I was planning to use the base to fuel my Duna base but with like 400 days until that window, I've got time to establish a new mining operation on Gullis and send out another Fuel shuttle.

Also you can't be mad after figuring out it was the magic space asteroid/space kraken. First I've encountered him.

Was probably because either you used an older version than 0.9 or something failed to load.

If anything seems out of the ordinary, send over your Kopernicus.log, but it should work alright - have fun!

41 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

yup something similar happened to me aswell.all the ships at the soi fo niebos are now on dreidos.and a minmus lander is now on an outer planet

What version were you running before?

24 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i think the version before dreidos was added

Yep there's your problem.

Dreidos moved FGI values around, so it's going to have moved vessels :) shouldn't happen again

Hi, I was looking around in the configs and noticed that the texture, height, and normal maps are DDS files, I was wondering why these are used as opposed to png (I've been trying to make a planet mod but I can only make a white sphere, not sure if this is a fix or not).

Also,

"MUSTACHE"

50 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Known Bug(s)? 1.3, a few mods install

q8hEMUT.png

w5Mv2Ra.png

view from launchpad to the sun

First image: I can't quite tell what is happening, could you elaborate? Sorry!

Second image: Known bug with Scatterer. A scene change (map view and back) will fix it, assuming that's from KSC view and not in-flight.

A most list would help, too!

29 minutes ago, TheWanderer05 said:

Hi, I was looking around in the configs and noticed that the texture, height, and normal maps are DDS files

Heightmap files are always in PNG, as DDS formats are lossless and do not retain greyscale colour.

DDS images are stored in Video RAM (VRAM) instead of RAM (they are different.) VRAM is on the graphics card, whereas RAM is mainstream system memory which you plug into your motherboard.

Most people have 4 / 8 / 16 / 32 GB of RAM, whereas VRAM is most commonly 2 / 4 / 8, and I have 10GB of VRAM on my card. This means that KSP doesn't load the dds files into RAM, and the GPU is much better at loading them onto the card, as DDS = Direct Draw Surface = Texture Memory. 

It means you will use less memory ingame, and is more efficient because you are using your graphics card more in the game, which usually results in faster loading times and better optimisation all around.

29 minutes ago, TheWanderer05 said:

"MUSTACHE"

GOT EM! Ayup you found an easter egg :)

Edited by Gameslinx

Ofc, here is the mod-list

Spoiler

CommunityResourcePack
ModuleManager
EditorExtensionsRedux
Mk2Expansion
IndicatorLights
Mk3Expansion
MechJeb2
KIS
PreciseManeuver
CommunityCategoryKit
EasyVesselSwitch
SpaceXLegs
BetterBurnTime
ConnectedLivingSpace
DefaultActionGroups
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator
KerbalAlarmClock
InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core
KWRocketryRedux
KWRocketryRedux-InstantPwr
QuickExit
TransferWindowPlanner
TweakScale
WaypointManager
xScience
KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems
TakeCommandContinued
LandingHeight
HideEmptyTechNodes
KSP-AVC
KEI
StageRecovery
AllYAll
DynamicDeflection
Toolbar
B9PartSwitch
Karbonite
PortraitStats
SmartActuation
CommunityTechTree
USITools
SimpleConstruction
FirespitterCore
USI-Core
USI-LS
CrewQueueTwo
JanitorsCloset
ContractConfigurator
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
EasyBoard
Trajectories
SpaceY-Lifters
SXTContinued
FirespitterResourcesConfig
RetractableLiftingSurface

And for the situations when this happenes:

• NOT in the main game menu
  • NOT in KSC
  • first picture was from the tracking station
  • second picture was from a launched vessel, prelaunch, still sitting at KSC launchpad, looking straight up
  • both "bugs" come from the same problem, being the northern hemisphere having correct brightnes, but the southern doesnt.

cheers!

5 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Ofc, here is the mod-list

Hide contents

CommunityResourcePack
ModuleManager
EditorExtensionsRedux
Mk2Expansion
IndicatorLights
Mk3Expansion
MechJeb2
KIS
PreciseManeuver
CommunityCategoryKit
EasyVesselSwitch
SpaceXLegs
BetterBurnTime
ConnectedLivingSpace
DefaultActionGroups
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator
KerbalAlarmClock
InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core
KWRocketryRedux
KWRocketryRedux-InstantPwr
QuickExit
TransferWindowPlanner
TweakScale
WaypointManager
xScience
KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems
TakeCommandContinued
LandingHeight
HideEmptyTechNodes
KSP-AVC
KEI
StageRecovery
AllYAll
DynamicDeflection
Toolbar
B9PartSwitch
Karbonite
PortraitStats
SmartActuation
CommunityTechTree
USITools
SimpleConstruction
FirespitterCore
USI-Core
USI-LS
CrewQueueTwo
JanitorsCloset
ContractConfigurator
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
EasyBoard
Trajectories
SpaceY-Lifters
SXTContinued
FirespitterResourcesConfig

And for the situations when this happenes:

• NOT in the main game menu
  • NOT in KSC
  • first picture was from the tracking station
  • second picture was from a launched vessel, prelaunch, still sitting at KSC launchpad, looking straight up
  • both "bugs" come from the same problem, being the northern hemisphere having correct brightnes, but the southern doesnt.

cheers!

Hmm I don't think that's the entire list. (I don't see my folders in there, did you pull that from CKAN?)

It may be worth doing either a gamedata screenshot or listing the folders from there, which makes it easier for me (whichever is possible).

You have a lot of mods, so I'd just like to see the raw Gamedata folder for a clearer picture. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Heightmap files are always in PNG, as DDS formats are lossless and do not retain greyscale colour.

Mind if I ask what program you used to export something as DDS? Also, Olemut seems to be acting like Pol in the sense that it blows up some ships before they reach the surface. Got a nice view from there, though.

Yd5kQSq.jpg

4 hours ago, TheWanderer05 said:

Mind if I ask what program you used to export something as DDS? Also, Olemut seems to be acting like Pol in the sense that it blows up some ships before they reach the surface. Got a nice view from there, though.

Yd5kQSq.jpg

Yeah, Olemut does this and I've no idea why :(

You can either use Paint.net which is free, Photoshop with the Nvidia tools plugin or gimp to export in .DDS.

4 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Is there a chance that the old olemut might be reimplemented in some way (possibly as another moon)?

Nah, I didn't like it :P

5 hours ago, TheWanderer05 said:

DDS

Also, DDS textures are flipped vertically when applied onto a planet, so make sure to flip the colour map and normal map vertically (if they are in .DDS) to avoid this.

Don't save heightmap as DDS, save them as PNG.

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Hmm I don't think that's the entire list. (I don't see my folders in there, did you pull that from CKAN?)

It may be worth doing either a gamedata screenshot or listing the folders from there, which makes it easier for me (whichever is possible).

You have a lot of mods, so I'd just like to see the raw Gamedata folder for a clearer picture. Thanks!

Sorry you are right, it was a CKAN file, which is missing the manual installed mods (like yours) I'll update the list when I am back home.

And here is the full list (a "dir" in powershell with all folders):

Spoiler

000_Toolbar
000_USITools
AllYAll
B9PartSwitch
BetterBurnTime
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CrewRandR
CTTP
DefaultActionGroups
Diazo
Dynamic Controls
EasyBoard
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
Firespitter
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
IndicatorLights
INSTANTIATOR
InterstellarFuelSwitch
JanitorsCloset
KAS-1.0
KEI
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
KerboKatz
KIS
Kopernicus
KSP-AVC
KWRocketry
MechJeb2
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
NavyFish
Olei
Olei-Gaia
PlanetaryBaseInc
PortraitStats
PreciseManeuver
QuickMods
realbattery
REPOSoftTech
scatterer
SimpleConstruction
SmartActuation
SpaceY-Lifters
Squad
StageRecovery
SXT
TakeCommand
TextureReplacer
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
WaypointManager
[x] Science!

and ModuleManager of course

Edited by Blackline

54 minutes ago, Blackline said:

And here is the full list (a "dir" in powershell with all folders):

Hide contents

000_Toolbar
000_USITools
AllYAll
B9PartSwitch
BetterBurnTime
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CrewRandR
CTTP
DefaultActionGroups
Diazo
Dynamic Controls
EasyBoard
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
Firespitter
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
IndicatorLights
INSTANTIATOR
InterstellarFuelSwitch
JanitorsCloset
KAS-1.0
KEI
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
KerboKatz
KIS
Kopernicus
KSP-AVC
KWRocketry
MechJeb2
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
NavyFish
Olei
Olei-Gaia
PlanetaryBaseInc
PortraitStats
PreciseManeuver
QuickMods
realbattery
REPOSoftTech
scatterer
SimpleConstruction
SmartActuation
SpaceY-Lifters
Squad
StageRecovery
SXT
TakeCommand
TextureReplacer
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
WaypointManager
[x] Science!

and ModuleManager of course

Ueehh... That's a lot of mods... Could you back them up / take them out and run this mod with just its dependencies (the ones in the download folder), just so that it might not be a mod causing this

Thanks!

A tenth of the way through the detailing phase of the mod. I'm doing a primary pass over each planet to add unique features to them. Now that the reworks are all finished, there will be some changes to the terrain, but nothing on a planetary scale.

Here's a part of the Sonus heightmap which I'm adding to. I'm only adding detail over existing terrain - oceans are not suddenly land!

unknown.png?width=1128&height=566

On 13/06/2017 at 7:37 PM, Blackline said:

Known Bug(s)? 1.3, a few mods install

q8hEMUT.png

w5Mv2Ra.png

view from launchpad to the sun

I think I see the issue.

Ring shadows.

Makes sense right? The shadow of the rings will cast onto the planet? Try turning off the ring shadows in the scatterer menu and see if that works!