Doing it Apollo style - Redux

@smotheredrun

Sorry for the long delay, RL keeps getting in the way.
Well, a three-man lander will get you no points. While this is no hardcore apollo re-creation challenge, bringing the whole crew to the surface of the mun is a major change to the mission profile. Sorry for not making this clear earlier.

Connections from the LFBs to the core don't count as aspargus. I'd say it's aspargus if you have one LFB feeding fuel into another LFB

I'll count it as a free return trajectory if the periapsis is inside Kerbins atmosphere, so that it would brign you down to kerbin eventually without further input. I was not able to discern the hight of you periapsis from you screenshots.

Edited by Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Xeldrak said:

@smotheredrun

Sorry for the long delay, RL keeps getting in the way.
Well, a three-man lander will get you no points. While this is no hardcore apollo re-creation challenge, bringing the whole crew to the surface of the mun is a major change to the mission profile. Sorry for not making this clear earlier.

Connections from the LFBs to the core don't count as aspargus. I'd say it's aspargus if you have one LFB feeding fuel into another LFB

I'll count it as a free return trajectory if the periapsis is inside Kerbins atmosphere, so that it would brign you down to kerbin eventually without further input. I was not able to discern the hight of you periapsis from you screenshots.

I will try this when I unlocked stuffs I required later.

But what's wrong with all three down?

@HypercosmicWell, it is an "apollo-style" challenge. Apollo Mission had three astronauts, two went down to the surface, one stayed in the command module. There is nothing wrong with a three man lander, but it is a rather big departure from the Apollo mission profile. Just don't expect any points for it :wink:

Just now, Xeldrak said:

@HypercosmicWell, it is an "apollo-style" challenge. Apollo Mission had three astronauts, two went down to the surface, one stayed in the command module. There is nothing wrong with a three man lander, but it is a rather big departure from the Apollo mission profile. Just don't expect any points for it :wink:

Oh, so it's just like one-manned capsule missions? Good. I'm not expecting myself to perform that kind of stunt anyways.

@ xeldrak

Alright sounds fair enough.   I hear through the rumor mill that Kerbodyne and Rockomax have joined forces on a competing design, a 2 Kerbal design.

If free return needs to hit atmosphere, that definitely does not count as one.  My Pe was about 140 km or so.

Ok thanks for the clarification.  Armstrong V and VI are already in the works (V will launch significantly later than VI due to construction lead time changes, and Space Lab 01 running out of LS at one point....

All stages fulfilled with the exception of no Munar experiments, and no Munar orbital satellite.

Gives a total of 193 points I believe.

Craft is slightly modded, as I prefer the Alcor 2-man lander can over the stock one, purely from an aesthetic point of view. Just wondering if there are any bonus points available for taking two rovers, one for each crew member.

Edited by Scarecrow

the apollostyle mun mission is always a joy

I have flown this a few weeks prior to the challange.

https://youtu.be/ISoiVnRHHzA

i was using my kOS Skript for landing. It uses the distance to ground and the speed, but unfortunately it makes the mission invalid under this challanges point system.

wanted to share it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

This vessel was overpowered a bit for the challenge I almost didn't use descent module etc. Also this was my first manual rendezvous and docking (You can see that) But who cares I did it :D
I got total of 193 points (Everything expect free return and Landing accuracy
If it is forbidden to switch vessels to adjust orbit of CM I got 183 I did it because I got scared it would get deleted by KSP beacuse of low Pe

I have no idea what happened to sub sattelite but you can see me releasing it in "stable" orbit but somehow it managed to go into kerbin orbit
Rocket download
Rover download

Spoiler

LES in action

Edited by Numerlor

On 3/27/2017 at 11:18 AM, Scarecrow said:

All stages fulfilled with the exception of no Munar experiments, and no Munar orbital satellite.

Gives a total of 193 points I believe.

Craft is slightly modded, as I prefer the Alcor 2-man lander can over the stock one, purely from an aesthetic point of view. Just wondering if there are any bonus points available for taking two rovers, one for each crew member.

I like that lander design!  My last 2 missions with rovers attached ended with one ditching the rover and experiment pack on descent (unbalanced profile) and the other ended with 2 omelets-for-kerbals into the side of the hills near the Memorial. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finished this (the craft has been sat in my save for later list for ages waiting for big enough boosters!!) 

O32kvJK.jpgywlHN8p.jpghyTL4bq.jpgI3Rp3Le.jpg

Completed in 10 times scale (so kerbin is the size of earth etc.) with a lot of mods (see below) album contains all events noteworthy for points. above are just pretty pics!

score:

3 man mission (10+), 2 man lander (10+), two stage lander with stage on mun (20+),launch escape system (10+), lander behind CM during ascent (20+), lander behind fairing (5+), free return trajectory (10+), no break on landing (10+), docking on LOR (10+), plant flag (3+), splash down (+5), initial goals (as in one rocket and no autopilot etc.) (30+)

Total 143.

Spoiler

WB4RLzP.png

I did it Apollo Style...on my VERY FIRST FLIGHT!

A little explanation: I've been playing the Demo for about a year, and I've flown some pretty cool missions, but I've never been able to do an Apollo-style LOR because the demo doesn't have docking ports. Anyway, I finally got the full game.

So, I decided: why not replicate Apollo 11 on my very first flight in the full game? Ambitious, true, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

With no further ado:

Scoring:

• Single-stack ascent, LOR, manual piloting, BYOR: +30
  • 3-man Mission +10
  • 2-man Lander +10
  • 2-stage Lander (leave the decent-engine on the Mun) +20
  • Launch escape system in place? +10
  • Lander stored behind the CM during ascent +20
  • Lander tucked away behind some kind of fairing? +5
  • Free return trajectory to the Mun +10
  • Flawless landing (no parts broke off, Neil Armstrong is watching you!) +10
  • After succesfull Mun landing dock CM and MM in munar orbit (no swapping ships without docking them first) +10
  • MM disposed by crashing it into the Mun (remove Kerbal first!) +5
  • Plant flag on the Mun (no cumulative, i.e. two flags don't get you 6 points) +3

TOTAL: 

Now, I really think I deserve a 100-point bonus for this literally being my very first flight in KSP, but that's not up to me!

• 2 weeks later...

LM design was an issue and went through three iterations.  I wasn't willing to do a major redesign to fit a rover that could deploy experiments so I lost a few points there.  Checked every other box.  Desirable ones anyway.

Mods Used: KAC, KER, DPAI, Trajectories, Precise Node

All stock parts

Score: 208

Edited by overkill13

Did this a while ago with SSTU in stock, 4X rescale, and 6.4X rescale. Didn't bother to score it. Only took a few screenshots, likely mixed scales on these, lol.

SSTU_Apollo_test.jpg

munward%20bound.jpg

OTW.jpg

lem.jpg

LEM%20ascent.jpg

A few questions:

Is mechjeb allowed for the mod category?

Is there a maximum size for the rocket?

Are RTGs allowed?

Are there any mods that are not allowed (besides autopilot mods)?

Can we leave the rover on the Mun?

Can the rover fly?

Are there extra points for a VERY LARGE explosion of the landing module? (maybe even being seen from orbit?)

What are the requirements for screenshots?

Do I lose points for all these questions? XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.