[1.3.1] AIES antennas rebalance

TK421d

First of all, I have no affiliation with AIES.  cannot reach the author, and forum threads are MIA, but I always liked the parts and wanted to revive them.  it seems like i'm always looking for antenna and solar panel part mods, and this one was always a favorite that has been KIA since the comms update.

This is a personal edit and rebalance of the AIES antennas and dishes for the current state of KSP.  no other parts are included or modified.

Rather than a set of MM configs, this is individual part .cfg's for each antenna that add a modified version so that the originals are not modified.  since i cannot reach the author or find the thread i have no idea what the liscense is:  so it does not includes the meshes, textures, or other associated files.  this means you must already have AIES Aerospace parts pack installed for this to work.   Personally i have not used anything but the electrical, science, and rcs parts, so i do not know if the other parts work in 1.2.2.

If you want to remove the original AIES dishes, just navigate to the antennas folders and rename or delete part.cfg's.

As i have no claim to rights over this, It is yours to do with as you please.

Now for the details on what this actually does:

The antennas have been sorted into direct and relay categories, and each one has been rebalanced to mimic a stock version.  this includes power, range, size, combinability, and tech unlocks.

rather than a spreadsheet of the capabilities, here's a visual representation.  stock on the left, modified AIES on the right.

Direct Transmitters:

SAJy9uE.jpg

Relay transmitters:

6cd3Gm7.jpg

you can see that a couple of the AIES dishes were rescaled to more ideally match with the power/range of their stock counterparts.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/so10dcnjbqeksw6/AIES_Antennas.zip?dl=0

only AIES version google can find me right now: https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/233478-aies

this is for 1.0.4 IIRC the latest version that used to be here on the forums was 1.1, but this should work fine as i doubt the part/model/texture references have changed.

As always remember, a Kerbal in a spacesuit is just like a bag of popcorn when exposed to microwave radiation, keep your distance!

Edited by TK421d
aies curse link

@TK421d Good job! The PanzerLabs probes are also looking for a guy to patch them with stock antennas :wink:

The license.txt file comes with the email and twitter contact information of the AIES author. I was able to talk to him on twitter last time, but he's not coming back in any foreseeable future.

Edited by Enceos

@TK421d thanks for patching those neat antennas! By the way, everybody still using AIES Aerospace parts should know that there's community fix patch for it

https://github.com/deimos790/AIES_Continued made by @Deimos Rast 

I believe he fixed something with antennas too. May be worth checking?

Anyway it's good to have AIES Aerospace related topic on forum, because original one was lost :(

13 hours ago, Enceos said:

@TK421d Good job! The PanzerLabs probes are also looking for a guy to patch them with stock antennas :wink:

The license.txt file comes with the email and twitter contact information of the AIES author. I was able to talk to him on twitter last time, but he's not coming back in any foreseeable future.

Oh... ty for that info, as i mentioned i dont use the full mod and only had a trimmed down zip.  i'll grab the newest one from curse for that.

11 hours ago, evileye.x said:

@TK421d thanks for patching those neat antennas! By the way, everybody still using AIES Aerospace parts should know that there's community fix patch for it

https://github.com/deimos790/AIES_Continued made by @Deimos Rast 

I believe he fixed something with antennas too. May be worth checking?

Anyway it's good to have AIES Aerospace related topic on forum, because original one was lost :(

I believe this patch was for the version just before the big comms update, at least i think it was the version i was using.

I noticed on startup that all the antennas were being modified contain a basic transmitter, and matched the communotron-16

if your interested, here's the spreadsheet of the aies & stock antennas, and how i matched them up. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rtl1TmRAU7ONcw-OOv4mU5TUNXK-86bnNa9U4fLgqjM/edit?usp=sharing

Also if anyone has any suggestions feel free to say.  it occurred to me since posting that I kept forgetting to look at at part costs, although i doubt there's much an issue there either way.

Edited by TK421d

• 8 months later...

I keep forgetting to drop a note in here when updates come out.

Parts still working (and i'm still using) in 1.3.1

note:  I noticed in 1.3 that the small micro-dish would sometimes only work after the dummy right-click > extend was enabled, but that seems to have gone away in 1.3.1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, agrock said:

I noticed some antennas are classified as "relay" and some are not, but never figured out what is the difference?

How do relay antennas differ from normal antennas?

(This is a general question that relates to RemoteTech as well...)

Basically normal antennas can connect to a relay antenna or the KSC directly. A relay antenna is used to connected multiple satelites and the KSC

Eg:
normal antenna - relay - relay - relay - KSC -> works
relay - normal antenna - relay - KSC -> wont work

(grabbed explanation from another site)

Interesting, I seem to have been using RemoteTech in a wrong way for years now... but as much as your explanation makes sense, I think it doesnt work that way.

I have a constellation of GPS-like sattelites in orbit. My mun ships connected to whichever sat was in LOS, then its 2-3 sats around the globe to the ground station. Conn from the mun was with a directional antenna and all rest was with omni, none of these are classified as "relay". I never in my life used a relay antenna and yet comms seem to work just fine. I will double check this in game.

Also note that specs show on relay antennas are not different than those on normal ones. Ranges and angles change but there is nothing else different about those antennas. Only thing "relay" in those is the name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.