Favorite Aircraft

RussianAround

de-Havilland-Vampire-T55-3.jpgDehavilland vampire for me. Insanly manouverable twin boom jet fighter? Yes please.

For similar reasons im a fan of the F-18. Those things have control surfaces on the leading edge of the wing As well as the trailing edge.

Aircraft that would benefit from having the squishy pilot removed before flight.

1 minute ago, SinBad said:

de-Havilland-Vampire-T55-3.jpgDehavilland vampire for me. Insanly manouverable twin boom jet fighter? Yes please.

For similar reasons im a fan of the F-18. Those things have control surfaces on the leading edge of the wing As well as the trailing edge.

Aircraft that would benefit from having the squishy pilot removed before flight.

I had a lot of fun with the Vampire in CFS3. Only thing is that one had to be careful, as it was easy to tear it into pieces by maneuvering too hard.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:20 PM, SinBad said:

It's an odd-looking bird, but has one of the best names ever.

52 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

and the F14 Phantom? is that a thing?

F-14 Tomcat (star of the movie Top Gun) or the F-4 Phantom, another mean-looking twin-jet fighter (saw it in flight at an airshow)

Darnit, got ninja'd while reading up on them on Wiki. I suggest taking a look, they're both interesting. Apparently the F-4 was the most-produced supersonic fighter, with 5195 produced between 1958 and 1981

15 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

F-14 Tomcat (star of the movie Top Gun) or the F-4 Phantom, another mean-looking twin-jet fighter (saw it in flight at an airshow)

Darnit, got ninja'd while reading up on them on Wiki. I suggest taking a look, they're both interesting. Apparently the F-4 was the most-produced supersonic fighter, with 5195 produced between 1958 and 1981

Puny; I see your F-4 and raise a MiG-21 with 11,496 produced 1959 to 1985. And that number does not include the chinese copies and derivatives, of which the JL-9 fighter-trainer is still in production. Or at least available for order.

Other planes come and go as my mood swings, but I will always have a soft spot for this old warbird. Just because of its sheer longevity amongst far more capable competitors.

On 3/12/2017 at 0:24 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I had a lot of fun with the Vampire in CFS3. Only thing is that one had to be careful, as it was easy to tear it into pieces by maneuvering too hard.

I enjoyed shooting those down in my Gotha/Horten Ho-229..:cool:

Edited by A35K

The two aircraft I have the most stick time in, the DH Chipmunk and Slingsby Venture.

IMG_6563a_edited-1_zpsc259f815.jpg

Had plenty of fun in the Chippy mostly flying out of Filton. Although taking off from a runway 330 feet wide and 8,000 feet long felt a bit silly ( it was extended to accommodate the Bristol Brabazon and later used for the Concorde programme. Spent much time upside down so gained an intimate knowledge of the geography of Bristol and the Severn Estuary. The AEF (Air  Experience Flight) also had a habit of sneaking up behind the local University Air Squadron Bulldogs whilst they were indulging in a spot of straight and level (probably flicking each other with wet towels) and giving a "dakkadakkadakka" on guard.

Started out gliding in the Slingsby T31 (open cockpit for that authentic wind in your hair bugs in your teeth WW! experience) before the government coughed up for the space age (to us) Venture complete with canopy and snazzy pull handle engine start, later models got electric start ( wimps). My first solo in the Venture went "climb out 45knts" "ooooh I could just steal this and they can't stop me" "ok stop engine crank to prop horizontal concentrate on flying a nice circuit" " setup on finals runway clear...." "ohgodI'mgoingtodiedon'tfluffthisup" .

Given that I'm quite the aviation enthusiast, I'd say every aircraft ever built. But to name only one, I'd say the Avro Arrow. Can't argue with a Canadian game-changer before it got sacked. 

arrow201.jpg 

Edited by TomSawyer2112

2 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Guess the plane. It's my new favourite aircraft ever, and if you can guess correctly, I'll tell you why. :)

yTYu6Md.jpg

Ooooh come on Usu', 4 engines, glass cockpit in multi displays, sidesticks, it's so easy, you are in an Airbus A400M Atlas/Grizzly.

3 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Ooooh come on Usu', 4 engines, glass cockpit in multi displays, sidesticks, it's so easy, you are in an Airbus A400M Atlas/Grizzly.

Correct, and this is why it's such an awesome aircraft.

xl2omc0.jpg

Switchable two setting foot heater fitted as standard. In your face, C-130. :sticktongue:

Ive chosen between my firsts and chosen my favorite aircraft. More specificly a lighter than air aircraft. As well as a rigid airship. That DIDNT burst into flames. Oh and did I mention they were flying aircraft carriers? I was biased towards the USS Los Angeles cause I live there, but after reading up the carrer of the second of this class ive changed my mind. Yup. Its the Akron Class.

281b8050048f897c05e914c8ef6bacab.jpeg

91c711b0c749a0e1902f1e391082278a.jpeg

Too bad they were both lost in storms. :( If only their captains saw them coming...The Akron's I'll give a chance, but Macon's knew his aircraft was damaged and chose to fly through anyways! Im pretty sure if they survied eventually they would be upgraded to carry newer planes, Wildcats, Hellcats, heck they had foldable wings! Ahh if only...

Edited by Spacetraindriver
I keep on writng Macon as Macron, due to Akron's R...

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:59 AM, UnusualAttitude said:

For aircrafts, the Aérospatiale Alouette II hands down. That thing is sheer class.

Agreed. The Aérospatiale Alouette II is an amazing aircraft. :cool: However, my personal favorite rotorcraft is the Airbus Helicopters (formerly Aérospatiale or Eurocopter) H130.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           airbus.jpg

On 5/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, Vanamonde said:

Oh, how could I have forgotten this inter-war beauty? 

M1e4lBE.jpg

Boy, I really like the design of the F-9 Cougar. It looks really pretty.

9 hours ago, monophonic said:

Inter-war? :huh:

Must have been the best kept secret of Aircraft Squadrons, Battle Fleet. :wink:

I meant between WW2 and Korea, though turns out it was actually in use a little later than I thought. 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.