Hello, I was wondering if the parts that are radially attached inside the Mk1 Structural Fuselage are dragless and protected from reentry heat.

I've noticed that with angle snap off, you can radially attach parts inside the fuselage, but when doing a reentry, things inside were showing temp gauges and some of them were destroyed. Do I need to use the fairings for that? Or was it that the fuselage was getting heated up(and resisting it fine) but passing that heat by conduction to the parts inside?

3 minutes ago, EstebanLB said:

Hello, I was wondering if the parts that are radially attached inside the Mk1 Structural Fuselage are dragless and protected from reentry heat.

I've noticed that with angle snap off, you can radially attach parts inside the fuselage, but when doing a reentry, things inside were showing temp gauges and some of them were destroyed. Do I need to use the fairings for that? Or was it that the fuselage was getting heated up(and resisting it fine) but passing that heat by conduction to the parts inside?

Unfortunately the structural fuselage does not shield its contents from drag or heat.  Use service bays, cargo bays, or fairings.  Cargo bays need to have things mounted to their interior nodes, or radial attached to the stuff on the center node, and if the part's collider extends outside the bay's collider, it'll be exposed again.  There is a little wiggle room as many parts have a visual model larger than the collider box, but in general if you can't see it from outside, it's shielded.

Service bays seem a little more permissive, almost like if the center of the part is shielded, the whole part will be shielded.  And it seems to work with parts surface-attached to the interior of the service bay.

Fairings are simpler yet, they seem to shield everything.  With the current 1.2 fairings with extra nodes, it's very simple to use them as fuselage segments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.