[1.2.2] E.T. - Extreme Textures (RSS)

ufindbatman

Extreme Texture Overhaul for RSS

pgYZ8ZS.png

What's going on here? This is my Extreme Texture overhaul. I enjoy trying to push KSP visuals to the limit, and this is a thread for people who want to follow what I'm doing, ask questions, and try my set-ups over time. I'm currently working on RSS but will also muck around with stock planets later on. 

So what have you done that's different? I've found a way to get extreme resolution textures working in game, so that means new seamless, non-repeating clouds textures, and also geographically accurate land textures both up to 64k.

Any help on this? Absolutely, I've gotten testing help, code help, texture help, All sorts. I've especially gotten help from @Phineas Freak. Well not really. I used his scatterer settings for all planets other than earth without permission. I lack the knowledge and time to create something as nice as what he made. Sorry mate. (He knows)

Any videos? My boy HellBlazer is in the first video, the second video is mine, and is a little more of a close look at E.T.O.

Special thanks                                           Credits

• -  Support and tester @hellblazer                               -  Scatterer by @blackrack
  • -  Support and tester @majorvader111                        -  Distant Object Enhancement by @Rubber Ducky @MOARdV
  • -  Support and tester @Dakitess                                 -  TextureReplacer by @shaw @RangeMachine
  • -  Support and tester @Felbourn                                 -  Environmental Visual Enhancements by @rbray89 @Waz
  • -  Early visuals messing around with @Duckyb4         -  Scatterer settings by @Phineas Freak
  • -  The original Overhauler @pingopete                           -  DeepStarMap by @Poodmund 

What is it's current features (in detail), and what could we see added later on?

Spoiler

Current features -

• 43k nasa clouds
  • 64k geographically accurate land textures
  • 8k and 4k cirrus clouds, city, and ground textures
  • Small textures which improve RSS fine land detail
  • Earth scatterer configs
  • Small improvements, too much to list

Future addons -

• 32k moon texture
  • 32k mars texture
  • 32k mercury texture
  • Night city lights
  • 8k very sharp, detailed, tiny clouds, which sit under the Earths 43k clouds
  • 64k Earth clouds
  • Alternative versions - Light, Med, High, Ultra(current version)
  • Alternative way of mapping land textures, which will sacrifice accurate geography but will look just as good, and run better for med computers.
  • Or perhaps none of the above because I'm a lazy slob

Manual installation 

1. Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest stable versions of the following required mods (note: I recommend installing the mods below via ckan)

2. Inside your GameData folder make sure you remove any instance of EVE, Scatterer, RVE, RSSVE ( or any other previous cloud, terrain, visual mods). They won't be compatible. Altered versions of Scatterer and EVE are included within the mod download.

3. Download E.T.O and uncompress it's contents. Inside the E.T.O folder there will be a GameData folder. Copy or move it's contents into your KSP GameData folder.

4. Increase your virtual memory (IMPORTANT) Google how. I currently have, Intial size-(4096) Maximum size-(4097)

4. Everything should be good, You have now installed E.T. Launch KSP and test your new PC melting visuals.

Warning: Requires - 8GB RAM, and Windows 7/8/10

[Download link removed by moderator due to licensing violations]  (1.1.3 Ready... Click the link)   [Download link removed by moderator due to licensing violations]     (1.2.2 Ready... Click the link..)

Issues

• 1.2.2 Auroras need adjusting
  • Cloud seams
  • Earth texture color seams 
Edited by Snark
Download links removed due to licensing violations

This looks like it could be good but I have a few questions.

why develop it on a version that is a few versions old that not many use anymore and when all dependent mods are updated to 1.2.2?

and, if I'm not mistaken, KSP (unity) can only handle textures that are no bigger than 16k and even then, the performance would dive tremendously. Is there something you are doing differently?

Edited by Galileo

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This looks like it could be good but I have a few questions.

why develop it on a version that is a few versions old that not many use anymore and when all dependent mods are updated to 1.2.2?

I will be updating it soon. The people who asked me for it are still on 1.1.3, so I made that the first thing I will upload. Once I finish the shift over to 1.2.2 I'll put that up as well.

57 minutes ago, Galileo said:

if I'm not mistaken, KSP (unity) can only handle textures that are no bigger than 16k and even then, the performance would dive tremendously. Is there something you are doing differently?

True. So what you do is cube-map Six, 16k x 16k textures, all in compressed dds. It's a lot, but my gtx 970 seems to handle it fine. There should be barley any fps loss if your Gpu has enough ram (3-4GB), and can spit out the textures fast enough. You will also need at least 8GB worth of PC Ram to run the game but I'd recommend around 12GB, I have 16GB, but had 8GB not too long ago and it ran fine.

@SpitfireAcademy, I don't know if you use my modded configs form the OP of cormorant shuttle? In that case, the MK3 parts are scaled to 1.72222. This gives you the real scale of the 'real shuttle'. Only problem is that the kerbal are tiny, so it's like a couple of dwarfs who fly the shuttle.

5 hours ago, DrLicor said:

@SpitfireAcademy, I don't know if you use my modded configs form the OP of cormorant shuttle? In that case, the MK3 parts are scaled to 1.72222. This gives you the real scale of the 'real shuttle'. Only problem is that the kerbal are tiny, so it's like a couple of dwarfs who fly the shuttle.

I didn't know you had made some .cfgs.  I just made my own using figures from wikipedia.  I'm trying to get the new space shuttle system working now using this set of .cfgs, but for some reason my ET barely uses any liquid hydrogen before MECO.  I reinstalled real fuels, but I think i'm missing something.  Any idea?  I'm about to just make my own configs again.  Time to make another fresh pot...

@SpitfireAcademy, while this is going off topic, I though you were using this mod, however, I also provides some configs for hellblazer for the mod you are using :)

Only thing is that I didn't rescale the parts for him because he had already build things and it would messup his save. I guess you have to set the scale to 1 for everything since the model is a straight copy from orbiter. 
The amount of fuel is consumed in your ET has to do with your engines, probably you didn't setup some factors right. Or you have the wrong amount of fuel in your tank, which doesn't match with the real life one.
However, here's a download link to my files I made for hellblazer, you can use them or just take them as a reference. :)  
(the reason why there's still monoprop in the tanks is to balance the RCS so it doesn't use the OMS' fuel.)

If you want to know more about it, I think it's best to ask it in a PM :)

(edit: maybe I know the cause of problem, in early stages of editing I messed something up with the engines and maybe it's possible hellblazer I had not finished the configs by the time hellblazer uploaded the video with the download link. If I'm right, the link I gave above should fix it.)   

Edited by DrLicor

47 minutes ago, winged said:

Do you have any pictures showing how does Mars, Moon or Mercury looks like from the surface level?

Like rover level? I haven't started putting Mars, Moon or Mercury together yet, I have textures sitting there. Just trying to sort earth out first.

Edited by ufindbatman

3 minutes ago, alexus said:

can you make ling on google drive?

Is there a reason why? My internet is very slow and it will take at least 14 hours for me to re-upload it, mega seemed to be the only place so far that was stable and didn't fail the upload.

4 minutes ago, ufindbatman said:

Is there a reason why? My internet is very slow and it will take at least 14 hours for me to re-upload it, mega seemed to be the only place so far that was stable and didn't fail the upload.

o my godble.

плохо

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I haven't tried to download but if the download size is large, like I expect it to be, wouldn't github be a better place to host it? I can give you a tutorial if you need it on how to get started 

Absolutely, Github would be the perfect place to host it, however I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. I can search youtube for tutorials, but would definitely appreciate any help I can get.

intristing project BUT E.T.O 1.1.3.zip > 949.1 MB on that dimension you have 2 choise 1. split them in 2,3 or 4 arhive file or 2. add all project to https://github.com/
i was try to dl that but mega it have ldl limit

any person who will try to dl your file from Mega it will can't take it coz it is a limit at list on unregistred account & on free one

looking forward to test my self :)

9 hours ago, ufindbatman said:

My internet is very slow and it will take at least 14 hours for me to re-upload it, mega seemed to be the only place so far that was stable and didn't fail the upload.

daaamn 14 hour ?!?!?!? to bad i can't share or we can't share internet line :)

Edited by Blacks

9 hours ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Any alternative download mirrors... Mega is being impossible !

7 hours ago, Blacks said:

intristing project BUT E.T.O 1.1.3.zip > 949.1 MB on that dimension you have 2 choise 1. split them in 2,3 or 4 arhive file or 2. add all project to https://github.com/
i was try to dl that but mega it have ldl limit

any person who will try to dl your file from Mega it will can't take it coz it is a limit at list on unregistred account & on free one

looking forward to test my self :)

daaamn 14 hour ?!?!?!? to bad i can't share or we can't share internet line :)

Updated the download. I shifted over to github.

Hahaha yep it's slow, my brother came over with his cell phone internet. Took a few hours.

Edited by ufindbatman