Civil War (A KSP War novel) The End

DarkOwl57

GODDANGIT FONTS!!! SERIOUSLY?!?!?! UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH! Whelp I've decided to upload this anyways; sorry for the no font but I don't want this thread to die off. Enjoy this sub-par chapter I guess.... bleh.

sCd2d3H.png

Time: 4:10 am, The next morning

The entire barracks area stayed silent, as everyone was asleep. Everyone except Gene. He had been sleeping since about 2, but the screaming wind had woken him up. He was making strategies, backup strategies, and backup backup strategies. No matter what happened, Gene was prepared. Just as Gene was about to try to get some ear plugs for an attempt at sleep, an alarm begin to blare.

“Attention. Enemy ships spotted. All hands on deck. All hands to the deck.” Despite the fact it was 4am, everyone leapt into action. Show time. Gene rushed over to the pilots, and began discussing strategy. “Listen, they told us we can’t get up into the air until it’s light, so we have to get ready,” He said to the yawning pilots. “Why can’t we sleep?” Greg asked as he flopped into his bed. “No! If we sleep, we’ll be even more tired in battle!” Gene snapped. “I agree with him,” Sam said, and Meg replied, “Same here.” Now their hands were tied. Go with the majority? Or side with the ranking officers?

Eventually, though, the entire EFS was witting bolt upright, and listening to the plans. “Alright, so we all know the ‘Cutlass’ can go for about 45 to 30 minutes,” Gene was explaining. “So what I propose is that we all launch off at 5-minute intervals.” There was immediately questions thrown at him, and Gene defended.

“If we all go up at the same time, there’ll be a 10 or 15 minute window where there aren’t any of our planes flying in the sky, and most of theirs. This way, we can have an even distribution of planes in the sky no matter what. We launch about 20 minutes early, so that we always have about 4 or 5 planes in the sky.” Sam nodded as he thought this over. “Good idea, Gene. Everyone! Let’s roll!” He clapped, and the pilots rushed up the stairs.

As soon as they got up, though, the wind almost blew them away. “HOW ARE WE GOING TO TAKE OFF?!” Meg screamed over the wind. “WE’LL JUST HAVE TO LET NATURE DO THE JOB FOR US!” Gene shouted back. He ran over to his plane, sealed the cockpit, and sighed as he had a bit of silence.

“So what did you mean by the nature part?” Meg asked over the radio. “We’ll just fly off the edge of the carrier. The wind’ll pick us up, and we’ll be up in the air!” Gene replied. He maneuvered his plane over to the edge of the deck, and motioned for everyone to watch. “GERONEMO!!!” Gene shouted to no-one in particular, as the plane calmly slid over the edge. Everyone on deck expected to hear a massive Splash!, but instead saw a plane rising up from below.

“YEEHAW!” Gene exclaimed, punching up the throttle and shooting up into the air. A few minutes later, when the other pilots were up in the sky, Gene finally saw the tale-tell signs of enemy craft going into the air.

“Contacts spotted. Heading 018. All units, scatter and engage,” Gene called out, twirling around to engage the first plane. Gene had the advantage of he was at a higher speed, less fuel (Meaning he was more maneuverable), and knew the general conditions. The enemy had the advantage because he had more fuel, and Gene was pointed straight at his gunsight.

Gene, realizing this, immediately pulled off, and got onto his tail, shooting him down with a well-placed missile. “Nice job, Gene,” Sam said as he, too, caught onto an enemy craft. Just as he was about to go at Sam’s target with guns, however, the fuel alarm buzzed. Come on! Gene thought as he lined up to land on the carrier.

As soon as the plane came to a complete stop, Gene leaped out of the cockpit to confront the fueling crew. “Hurry up! Hurry!” He shouted, jumping up and down to get their attention. An F-23 was preparing for takeoff- probably Timothy- but Gene couldn’t hear the engine over the sound of the wind and rain.    Gene rushed up to the bridge, and began to speak to the captain.

“What’s the status on the battle?” He asked. “So far we’ve sunk 2 of their ships at the cost of 3 of ours. We’re winning in the air but since we’ve got no planes with bombs on them, we’re out of luck.” The captain grimaced. “Unless a miracle happens, we might lose this one.”

Just as Gene was about to respond, though, a fueler burst in the door.

“Major, your plane’s ready,” He breathlessly said, before rushing out- Gene close behind.

“WE CAN’T HOLD THEM OFF FOREVER!” The first mate said. “All-“ The captain was about to reply, but was stopped by another barrage, courtesy of the main gun. “As I was saying- All we have to do is keep steady until some help comes.”

“No one sent forces,” The mate said. “They didn’t want to send anyone into a hurricane. No ships, no planes, nothing.” This is more dire than I thought, the captain thought, before the mate continued in a grim tone. “This could be the Coral’s final stand.”

“Well, whatever happens here today, it’s been an honor, and a privilege, to serve with you,” The captain said before another explosion shook the ship.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Time: 5:25 am

There was just one more plane. Even though Gene had trained in these conditions, the pilot kept on managing to slip him. Every time Gene caught the pilot in his gunsights, he managed to catch an air current that knocked him away from Gene. 

Gene finally got onto him. He pulled the trigger, and blew off an engine. Now the fuel tank was exposed, and Gene could go in for the kill. But why? A small voice asked in Genes head. Why kill such a great pilot? He survived for this long; why not reward him for it? It seemed to ask. JUST SHOOT! PULL THE TRIGGER! Another voice screeched in Genes head. Gene listened to the first voice.

As he pulled off of the enemy plane, Gene looked at the pilot. He was obviously relieved, mouthing Thank You and giving vivid hand gestures. Gene gave a light wave, and went off to engage the enemy ships.

A quick missile to one ship caused a capsize. A strafing run sent a main turret tumbling down to the sea below. But there were too many enemy ships. Just as Gene was about to shoot a missile at an aircraft carrier, a huge updraft shot the plane up into the sky.

Gene cursed, and turned around to go at it again. Then, the plane dropped out of the sky, and Gene momentarily went blind. On pure instinct alone, Gene slammed the throttle up, yanked the control stick as hard back as he could, and tried to process what just happened. They were in the eye of the storm.

There was a moment of calm as everyone tried to process these latest developments. But only a moment. After that, the gunners began opening up again, and Gene re-started his attack. The destroyer he was aiming at immediately exploded; a direct hit from a cruiser. So he decided to go after the aircraft carrier. As he began to turn though, a shadow passed over him. Then 2 small shadows. Then 2 more large shadows. What the- Gene thought as he tried to look up to figure out what passed overhead.

Gene saw 3 planes flying overhead, with the plane in the lead bomb-less. Uh oh, he thought, before the carrier exploded. Without any time to react, Genes plane went straight into what was the hull. Fortunately, the bombs had gone clear through the ship, and Gene managed to get through the ship unscathed.

Gene prepared a landing return. The battle had finally turned.

Time: 7:05 am

As the EFS sat huddled in their bunks, the storm raged on. They listened intently to the captain, who rattled off statistics of the battle. “So we lost 5 ships while they lost all 10 of theirs. We shot down 6 planes, they lost 3 more after the carrier explosion.” Gene smiled. “And we lost no planes. Now, as soon as this storm eases up, you’ll be free to go. I would let you leave now, but-” The captain started, before a piece of debris hit the side of the ship, making a gong-like sound. “But the wind’s whipping around to much debris. Dismissed.” The captain walked out, and the room was instantly filled with chatter.

“Did you see that shot?”

“Man what a battle!”

“I can’t believe that worked!”

“Three cheers for Gene!” A massive cry went up from the pilots, and Gene looked flabbergasted. “What’d I do?” He asked, before voices began to answer.

“Made up that crazy plan.”

“Shot down more planes than any of us combined”

“Helped us with the training”

“Flew through an aircraft carrier”

The list went on and on. And so, even many hours later, and the storm ceased, everyone was still celebrating. Even back at the base. The Allies had won.

Time:  4:00 pm

“We’re going to miss you,” The First Mate said to the EFS pilots before they left. “To be honest, you guys coming over here has been the most exciting thing since our last battle, which was about 3 months ago.” The pilots laughed, and waved to everyone on the deck. “Well it’s been fun. We’ll see you guys around, okay?” Gene called out, and a cheer went up with the ships crew.

The pilots all got into their planes, and lined up for takeoff. The planes all launched off perfectly, and when they got over the ship in a salute, the ship fired off its guns in a salute as well. “Guys?” Gene asked over the radio. “Let’s go home.”

Time: 5:00 pm

Gene flopped into his bed, glad to be home. As he fell, though, he heard the crunching of paper. I swear if it’s another “Clean up your room” letter, I’ll slap the messenger, Gene thought as he pulled it out from under him.

The paper wasn’t a letter. It wasn’t a notice. And as Gene read it, he had one thought. They can’t do this. Before he even got halfway down the list, he was already out the door, sprinting to the CO’s office. He had to get some answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally..... I've finally got it. Screw it; I'm not even going to Imgur the chapter title; I just want to get this thing out here. 1.7k words... A massive plot twist.... Whew! Enjoy this chapter! Please? Maybe?

Chapter 15

The Split

Time: 5:05 pm

Gene burst into the office, only to see the entire EFS shouting at the CO. They beat me to it, Gene thought, before he began lodging questions at Porter as well.

“HOLD IT!” Porter said, holding his hands up. “Listen, I didn’t make the orders. I just got them this morning. Now I’m disappointed in this. But what the Brass wants, the Brass does. I don’t have a say in this.” He said. Now it was Gene who was confused. “Wait, what orders?” He asked. “I got this paper saying I was becoming commander of this place!”

“Well lucky you, Gene.” Sam replied sourly. “Now what’s that supposed to mean?” Gene asked. “They’re splitting us up,” Meg said. “What?” Gene asked. “Yup. I’m off to help with training. Meg’s off to Air Wings Squadron 185. Everyone else’s going off everywhere. No one’s going to the same place. They’re splitting up the most elite group of pilots known to the entire nation.” Sam said with a bitter taste in his mouth.

“But-“ Gene stammered, before Porter cut him off. “Yes they can. And they are,” It was almost like he read Gene’s mind. “So what are we supposed to do?” Gene asked, getting sad looks from the other pilots. “I guess we just go with it.”

Time: 8:00 am, 3 Days later

There were obviously a lot of goodbyes. It all reminded Gene of when the training camp had ended; A tearful goodbye here and there, trading of addresses for letters, bets placed, and the occasional question of where to meet up after the war (They all decided on the KAFB). Gene was in the middle of the grouping, wearing his best uniform and giving hugs to everyone who was going to be leaving.

“I’m going to miss you, you know that?” Sam asked with a smile as he shook Genes hand.”Same for me,” He replied. “Just… Take care. I know you’ll make a great leader.” Sam said. “No I’m not! I’ve got no experience, no training. No one listened to me even at school! How am I supposed to lead an entire fighter group into a battle?” Gene exclaimed.

“Listen, I know it’s hard. I thought the same when I became leader of this outfit. But you’ve got somethings I don’t; You’re young. You’re better then everyone here. You knew your leader was leaving- Did you think I knew what in the world to do when Hans left us?” Sam asked. “I guess you’re right,” Gene admitted as a crewman came up to Sam. “Your plane’s ready, Sir,” He said.

“Well I guess this is it,” Sam smiled as he gave Gene one last hug. “So long, buddy,” Sam called out as he boarded that plane. As the engines whirred up, and the plane began to get up into the air, Meg came up behind Gene.

“Hey there,” Meg said, almost as if they were at lunch instead of on the edge of never seeing the other again. “Oh Kerb I’m screwed,” Gene admitted as he sat down in the grass. “You are not,” Meg smiled as she sat down next to him. “You are going to be the best commander this place’s ever seen. Your name will go into every single history book known to Kerbin. If it isn’t already,” She continued, making Gene laugh. “Even better than Hans?” He asked.

“Ten times better than Hans. A hundred times better than Sam,” She laughed, and pulled out a book. “Listen, I want you to have this. I had planned to use it myself when I got in your shoes, but I figured you should have it.” Gene took the book, and read the title; A Beginners Guide to Commanding. “Why won’t you need this?” Gene asked. 

“Well after doing some background on my new commander,” Meg started with a little anger in her voice. “And it would appear that no lady such as myself has ever been promoted in his unit.” Gene looked shocked. “Biased?” He asked. “No doubt about it,” Meg replied, angrily looking off into the distance.

“Well, listen. I’ll see what I can do to get you a promotion; After all, I am a commander now,” Gene said, making Meg smile. “Well, I hope that works. In the meantime, keep in touch?” She handed Gene a piece of paper, which had an address on it. “This is where I’m apparently supposed to be stationed. See you around.” Meg waved, and walked off to get on her own plane.

Time: 10:00 am

As the last planes exhaust cleared, Gene laid down on the grass and closed his eyes.  The new recruits were supposed to be arriving at noon, and there was nothing to do besides worry about the imminent failure that was soon to unfold. As he lay there, Gene heard some footsteps coming his way, and an exhale as they sat down. “Tough day, ja?” A voice asked.

“Hey Wernher,” Gene muttered. “You didn’t answer my question,” He replied. “Well heck yeah it’s been tough! I just lost the only people I can relate to in the entire universe, who just so happen to be my best friends- no offense- to some random commanders halfway across the nation. And now I’m apparently going to be commander over a group where some are older than me!” Gene flopped back down, and gave a loud sigh.

“So what’re you nervous about?” Wernher asked. “About what?”

“The new recruit group,” He said.

“Mainly that they won’t listen to me. They won’t listen, they’ll just go off and do whatever, everything’ll go wrong, and then I’ll be fired from the only job I’ve ever wanted to have.”

“Maybe I could help you with the listening part,” Wernher said, making Gene scoff. “How could that work?” He asked. “Well, in order to make people listen to you, you need to get their respect; give them someone to look up to.”

“How’m I supposed to do that when I’m shorter than some kids in school that aren’t even 16?”

“Tell them your accomplishments! You’re the youngest pilot to ever be accepted into the EFS.” Wernher began counting on his fingers. “You’ve been in more battles and shot down more planes than anyone at your age. You not only flew in a hurricane, but had a full-scale air battle in it.” Gene smiled. “And that somehow means that I’ll be their supreme leader that they look up to?” Gene sarcastically asked. Wernher got up.

“Just think on it, okay?” He asked, before walking off. And in the silence- The chirping birds and the far-off pulsing of waves- Gene fell asleep.

Time: 11:50 am

Gene was awoken by the loud piercing sound of a jet engine, coming from the west. He leaped up, and saw a small passenger plane preparing for a landing. The planes flaps were all deployed, and on the runway, it skidded to a stop. Gene went up to see who the pilots would be. Just as the door opened, Gene stopped next to the ramp to see who he would be commanding.

2 young kerbals hopped out, carrying on a conversation before bumping- literally- into Gene. Gene stepped back, and said “Lieutenants Robinson and Wilson, correct?” The 2 soldiers saluted, and both replied with yes. “Alright. Your rooms are already assigned to you, and meet up at the mess hall at 7:00. Okay?” Gene asked. “Yes sir,” Robinson curtly said. “Okay,” Wilson lazily replied, making Genes blood simmer a little bit.

“What was that?” Gene asked with a sarcastic kindness. “I just said ‘Okay,’” Wilson replied, shrugging. “Listen here,” Gene growled. “You will show respect to a commanding officer. You will use military etiquette when addressing your superiors. Do I make myself clear?” Gene finished with an icy tone he never thought he had.

“Yes sir,” Wilson muttered, walking away to join his friend.

Time: 6:50 pm

That mainly set the standard for the remainder of the introductions. Some were snappy and polite, like Robinson, while others (but not many) were like Wilson. And there were of course the recruits that were in the middle; laid-back, but able to follow orders whenever necessary. Now, Gene was standing on a table and doing a quick head-count to see if everyone was where they should. Gene cleared his throat for attention, and the light talking ceased as he stood up.

“Alright, attention everyone. Listen up!” Gene looked around and saw 2 pilots muttering to each other. “Hey, you two.” Gene motioned towards them. “Shut up.” The room snickered, and the pilots blushed in embarrassment. Gene continues, saying “Alright. So, hello everyone. My name’s Gene, and you’ve been assigned to me, not by choice, but by the Air Force. Now I’m not sure what all are your strengths and weaknesses are, but I intend to figure those all out through our training sessions. I don’t expect you to be perfect; no one is. But I do expect you to do your best. I’ll except nothing less. You will show respect to your superiors. You will show respect to your fellow soldiers, no matter what rank he or she is compared to you. This applies from the highest officer in command to the lowest ranking re-fueler.” Gene looked around at each individual in the room. 

“Alright. Dig in,” He sighed, as the room began to murmur with the regular conversations. This leadership stuff was hard.

Time: 8:30 pm

Gene watched the new M-1’s roll out of the cargo plane, and Gene smiled. Not a bad design, he thought. Although I think I prefer the ‘Cutlass’ better. The supper had been a total disaster. There had been at least 3, maybe 4 fights over who knows what, and at least 5 soldiers would have to be put on report. Gene inwardly groaned at the paperwork he was going to have to file, when he snapped.

“I HATE THIS!” He yelled to no one in particular. The unloading crew stared at him, but he just waved them off before going to the Admin building to shout some more.

“EVERYTHING’S SCREWED! NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN, I’VE GOT NO FREAKING CLUE WHAT TO DO!” He laid down in the grass, and whispered, “Help me,” praying to every deity he could think of. Just as he finished saying that though, a familiar voice replied, “I can help with that,” Making Gene whirl around.

Edited by DarkOwl57

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 16 is finally up! It took forever, but finally this 2000 word beast is up! It would have been more (Somewhere in the 2500 range) but I realized I would have literally copied a certain book series that I'm reading word for word. So without further ado copyright infringement, let's get on with Chapter 16!

Chapter 16

On the Defense

Time: 8:35 pm

Gene spun around, and confronted the voice. And when he saw her, his breath left him in shock. No way…

“Meg?!” Gene breathed. She smiled. “The one and only,” She said, extending her arms out. Gene rushed up, giving Meg a big hug. “I’ve got no idea what’s going on…” Gene whispered. “I’ve got you. Everything’s alright”

Time: 9:15 am, 1 week later

Gene slept soundly at night, always being able to sleep through almost anything. Once Hans had to shoot his pistol to wake Gene up. So it was no surprise that when everyone was down at breakfast, greeting the new guy, Gene was dreaming sweet dreams.

“Gene!” Meg snapped as she and the new recruit walked in the room. Gene didn’t even flinch. “Is he dead?” The recruit asked with a Kireland accent. “The first few days we thought so. Turns out he sleeps like this,” Meg replied, grabbing a water bottle off the dresser.

“Hold this,” she said, handing the recruit the bottle and going over to the other side of the bed and grabbing the sheets. “When I say go, dunk the water on Gene’s face. Maybe that’ll wake him up.”

“Isn’t that illegal?” The recruit asked. “Probably,” Meg shrugged. Then, without warning, she tugged up on the sheets, sending Gene spinning off the side of the bed. With a thud he landed, sending up a small, almost comical cloud of dust and a huge crash.

“Now!” Meg shouted, startling the recruit and making him drop the contents of the bottle right on Gene’s face. Suddenly, Gene leaped up, knocking the recruit down. Gene coughed for a moment, spitting out water, and finally began talking.

“What was that for?!” He exclaimed, grabbing a towel to wipe his face off. “To wake you up!” Meg retorted, trying to keep from laughing.

“You could have just shouted in my ear, as usual!” Gene said back, trying to find something. “I gave that up after the last time you went berserk,” She grimaced, rubbing her jaw in the memory. “You knocked Drew out for Kraken sake!”

“Now you know that was only because of the drinks the night before,” Gene pointed at her. The friendly banter continued for a while, before the recruit finally got up with a good-sized bruise on his arm.

“And who might you be?” Gene asked as he saw the kerbal rise. Just as he was about to reply, Meg interrupted him. “Sergeant Patrick “Patty” Burns Kerman. East Kerbin Volunteer Corps.”

“Beautiful voice, Paddy,” Gene smiled, making both Paddy and Meg blush. 3 names? Gene thought. Man those East Kerbiners have weird traditions. “So what’s your business up in our neck of the woods?” Gene asked conversationally, sitting down as he continued to dry off.

“Well, we came to help! I’m the only pilot from my unit that’s coming to this specific squad, but there’s a ton more.” Paddy said. “So where are you from?” Gene inquired. “Dystrios. And boy do I love it there, sir. You would too! Rolling hills, shining sun almost every day- It’s like heaven on Kerbin.” Paddy sighed as he remembered home. Suddenly he remembered his manners. “But don’t get me wrong; I like it here too!” Gene smiled, and looked over at Meg. She looked… Different somehow. And her eyes were focused dead on Paddy. Ah. That’s what she’s looking at. Gene decided, to spare both of them the humiliation, take Paddy outside before Meg started drooling. “Come on,” Gene said and motioned with his hand.

“Let’s take a walk.”

Time: 9:30 am

“Sorry for spilling that water on ya,” Paddy apologized for the 100th time. “Again, no problem.” Gene patted his pocked, still feeling a little damp. “It’s just-“ He was about to carry on, before Gene interrupted him. “Paddy? If you apologize one more time I’m gonna duct tape your mouth shut.” He said with a grin. Paddy smiled back, and continued walking.

“So if you didn’t ask me out here to hear me apologize, why are we walking out here?” Paddy asked. “Meg. She was making eyes at you bigger than the moon.” Gene smiled, and whispered, “She’s a sucker for accents,” before walking on. “Accents?” Paddy asked, bewildered. “Yeah. She can’t resist them.” Paddy almost fainted with relief.

“So are you two…” He asked, making Gene turn. “Wha-“ He began, before a realization came over him, followed shortly by a huge blush. “No! No not… Not at all.” He said, trying to hide the red splotches on his face. “Gene’s in loo-oove,” Paddy crooned, making Gene groan.

“Okay, okay,” Gene said in a hushed whisper. “We may have gone out.. Once or twice.” Paddy laughed, and then very seriously put a finger to his lips. “Not a word will be spoken,” he solemnly said, almost cracking up. “Good.” Gene sighed as they walked along.

“So how old are you mister Patrick?” Gene inquired. “17. 18 Next spring though,” He replied. “And where do you come from?” Paddy’s face darkened, and after a while, he said “Kelfast. Big port city. Me and… A friend used to live there.” Paddy said “Friend” almost like someone would say “Traitor” or “KP Duty”. 

“What-“ Gene started, before Paddy blurted out “Look, I really don’t want to talk about it.” The two continued walking, until Gene said “I lost a friend once too. I don’t really like to talk about it either.” Paddy turned and looked back at him.

“What happened to them?” Paddy asked in a hushed voice. “We…. We don’t talk about him around here.” Gene started to say something, but decided against it. “It’s sorta taboo.” Paddy shrugged.

“So Paddy, final question.” Gene stopped, and turned. “Can I trust you in our unit?” He asked, catching Paddy off guard. “Yes sir! 100% sir,” Paddy replied. “Good.” Gene breathed in, preparing his speech. “Look. I know that you’re a good kid, but are you a good pilot? You’ve got 10 more planes- 10 more brothers and sisters up there with you at all times. And they need to know that no matter what the circumstances- no matter what the odds are, no matter who we’re fighting. Can we trust you?” Gene extended his hand.

“Yes you can,” Paddy grinned, giving Gene the handshake, before taking off. “Race ya!” He called. “Oh you’re on!” Gene smiled, giving chase.

Time: 11:30 am, 2 1/2 Months later

“Watch that fire!” Gene shouted to Adam, who was twirling around to avoid the “Enemy”. The new White Wings had been undergoing constant training and drills, preparing for their first battle, which (According to HQ) would be any day now.

“Sorry, Gene,” Adam embarrassingly replied, avoiding the ‘enemy’ before getting hit by another enemy plane. “Yeehaw!” Meg shouted as the training test ended.

“No fair!” Adam complained as they landed, getting ready for lunch. “War’s not fair, buddy. You’ll get next round to attempt to redeem yourself,” Gene replied, turning off the engine as they went into the hangar.

Gene was watching over the refueling of the planes, staying behind to talk with the pilots in a debriefing of the training.

“Hey Gene?” Paddy, who was by now one of the best pilots in the group, asked. “In a minute. So as I was saying,” Gene continued, before being interrupted again. “You should really look at this…” Gene quickly glanced over, and saw a dark storm cloud.

“Ah it’s nothing,” He waved, continuing on. “Tim? You’ve got to work more on your evasive maneuvers. Adam? Same thing. Meg? Great job with the chasing but you’ve got to hold back a little bit. Stay back about 700 meters until you’re 100% sure you can get the kill. And-“ Gene stopped as John cocked his head. “What’s up?” Gene asked. John had impeccable hearing, and acted almost like an early-warning system.

“Oh my kerb…” John whispered as he turned to the storm cloud’s direction. “What-“ Gene tried to ask before the air was shattered by the piercing sound of the Early-Warning RADAR. “PLANES!” John shouted over the sirens scream.

A freezing cold horror gripped Genes heart. Those weren’t clouds. Those were planes. The KAFB was under attack.

Time: 11:43 am

Gene was faced with 2 decisions; Run to the shelters. Or fight back against a thousand-to-one odds. The choice was an easy one to make.

“TO THE PLANES!!!” Gene shouted, leaping into his M-1. He glanced back at the other pilots, before making the call to the control tower.

“Tower, this is White Wing Squadron; We’re taking off and if you’ve got a problem, you can shove it,” Gene said, strapping in. “You guys going to take off from the runway?” The tower personnel asked, obviously terrified at the concept of hundreds of enemy planes attacking his station. “Nope,” Gene replied, warming up the engine.

“What-“ The officer started, before Gene slammed up to full throttle right there in the hangar. Please don’t hit the MC, Gene begged as the plane nosed up. Just as Gene was about to go splat into the wall, the plane cleared the building.

“GENE! WHY THE KRAKEN DID YOU DO THAT?!” Meg screeched over the radio as Gene began to engage the enemy. “You got any other ideas as to how we’re supposed to intercept these guys?” Meg replied with a no, and soon the entire squad was up in the air. And not a moment too soon.

“All pilots, engage! Fire at will!” Gene called out, flying head-first into the swarm of the enemy planes. It’s go time.

Gene easily knocked the first plane out of the sky, not even having to use the missiles to rip off a wing of the bomber. The process was repeated with at least 5 more bombers, before Gene locked onto the tail of a fighter.

A quick burst from the guns exploded the enemy with ease, filling Gene with confidence. The process was continued for what felt like forever, Gene feeling invincible against the onslaught of enemies. As Gene shot down a bomber and flew right under the falling wings, he heard Meg shout out.

“Gene! You’ve got one on you!” She said, trying to get onto the enemy’s tail. “Just a little bit,” She muttered. Gene continued flying, pulling evasive maneuvers and shooting down enemy craft at the same time. They just keep coming.

“I’m firing!” Meg said, as time slowed. Gene felt the bullets shooting off of Megs gun, hearing each one leave the chamber. Please hit it, Gene prayed, hoping that Meg’s shot was spot-on.

The spray of bullets slammed into the enemy craft, ripping off a wing and sending it spiraling out. But a couple bullets hit a different target. Gene.

Gene’s plane shuddered as a piece at the rear exploded, sending Gene spiraling out of control. Gene wrenched the control stick almost out of its socket, trying to get the plane together. Just as Gene was about to give up, though, the wings finally caught onto the air like sails. CLIMB! Gene begged, hoping that he had enough clearance.

The nose went up… And up… And up some more. But the ground was getting closer. And as the ground began to retreat, a flood of grass blades flew up into the cockpit vents, spraying Genes face with green. 

“You okay, Gene?” Meg asked, sounding like she was on the verge of tears. “Just fine,” Gene said, spitting out grass. “Now let’s get-“ Gene was going to rally the pilots, before a warning screamed in Genes ear. A missile was locked on. Oh no.

Gene pulled up on the stick, but this time the wings were damaged. They tore off the plane, turning the once wonderful fighter jet into an out-of-control dart. Then, to top of this symphony of disaster, the missile hit. Gene’s cockpit was torn off of the craft, nose up and dropping speed rapidly. 

Gene slowly glided up, knowing that this could be the end. And as the cockpit seemed to touch the sky, the remainder of the plane began to fall down. Down to the world below.

On 2/3/2017 at 7:46 AM, DarkOwl57 said:

Why thank you :) I've got at the very least, 2 stories that have to get done by the end of the school year (or May 15th)* and so I'm gonna need to throw everything I've got at this.

Okay, so Houston, we've got a problem. School ends May 18th. It's April 21st now. So I'm 100% NOT going to get the finale out this year. I'll be dedicating 100% of my time towards Civil War now, but even then I'm probably not going to finish. What should I do? Quality over Quantity or Quantity over Quality? 

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Okay, so Houston, we've got a problem. School ends May 18th. It's April 21st now. So I'm 100% NOT going to get the finale out this year. I'll be dedicating 100% of my time towards Civil War now, but even then I'm probably not going to finish. What should I do? Quality over Quantity or Quantity over Quality? 

Quality first.... look at me, I'm already over a year, and not sure when I'm gonna end either. I'd rather take my time and do my best to get it right.  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Quality first.... look at me, I'm already over a year, and not sure when I'm gonna end either. I'd rather take my time and get it right.  :wink:

Yup... Same here. Take your time. Don't rush. Enjoy the experience...

On 4/21/2017 at 2:10 PM, Just Jim said:

Quality first.... look at me, I'm already over a year, and not sure when I'm gonna end either. I'd rather take my time and do my best to get it right.  :wink:

On 4/21/2017 at 2:13 PM, adsii1970 said:

Yup... Same here. Take your time. Don't rush. Enjoy the experience...

aaalllrighty, quality it is! Nearing the end of Part 2, and by then it should really start to ramp up :wink:

4 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

I like the  "3 names" thing.

Yeah, I decided that in a world with a first name/last name only combo (Nicknames not included), it would be cool to spice it up with Middle names (Or, if it's based off of a real person, it goes First Name, Last name, Kerman)

6 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Ohh... that was good!

Thanks! I've got until the 18th to keep on writing, so I've got one heck of a buffer to go through

Chapter 17! Nearing the end of this (Chapter 18 is the final chapter of this part), and this has been an insane chapter to even attempt to write. 2.5 THOUSAND words! Enjoy :D

Chapter 17

The Mission

Time: 4:25 pm, 3 days later

Gene groaned, and slowly got up, making a nurse scatter as she dampened his head with a cloth. “Sorry!” She yelped, jumping down. Gene groggily opened his eyes, before seeing the nurse. His eyes went from small, tired slits to wide-open in about half a second.

“You!” He exclaimed, remembering her as the same nurse from the M*A*S*H unit back when… “This is getting a little too familiar,” The nurse responded with a laugh.

“Yeah,” Gene chuckled. “So how long’ve I been out this time?” Gene asked. “3 days this time,” The nurse said. “I’m getting better! I’m awake a full 2 days earlier!” Gene triumphantly said, making the nurse chuckle some more. “That’s not how it works,” She replied.

“Is too!” Gene argued, before asking “So what brings you out to our neck of the woods?” The nurse replied, “Well, me and another doctor were actually on tour working on refining our techniques at that M*A*S*H unit forever ago. We actually are based about 15 minutes away from here at one of the villages. And so when we heard there was a massive battle that just took place, we hopped in the MPV and rushed up here to help.” Gene nodded. He had forgotten the village (Blackwood or something like that) was one of the best in the nation for medical care.

“Well we thank you for coming out here, Miss…” Gene trailed off, realizing he didn’t know her name. “Captain Amanda Kerman, sir,” she saluted with a smile. “Well thank you, Amanda. I am-“ Gene started, before Amanda said “Colonel Gene Kerman, leader of the elite White Wing squadron, 8472094.” Gene raised his eyebrows.

“It’s on your dog tags,” Amanda pointed, and sure enough, it was. “Huh.” Gene grunted. “So what’s going on outside?” Gene asked, trying to look out the window. “Well you’re free to get up,” Amanda answered, stretching out her hand to lift him up.

Gene pulled, almost bringing Amanda down on top of him. However, Gene was up, and managed to take a few steps before going under his own power. “I’m fine,” Gene said, waving off any attempt to receive help. As Gene left the room, his breath was taken away by the destruction.

Every single building was almost totaled. The VAB was severely damaged. R&D was in pieces. The hangar was almost 100% totaled, with holes in the roof. How could one attack do so much? Gene wondered, looking around. “Gene!” Paddy ran up to him, covered in dust. He was, apparently, working on the cleanup crew.

“You alright?” He asked, brushing off the dust. “Yeah, just fine. Where’s everyone else?” Gene asked, looking around. “Well Meg’s off working with the VAB crew, some are working on the R&D with me, the rest are working with the Complex crew.” Paddy nodded towards the Astronaut Complex. “And um..” Paddy looked down at his boots.

“We.. We lost Robinson and Adam.” Gene held his head in his hands. “Oh Kerb…” He muttered. “How? When?” Gene pressed. “About 5 minutes after you went down for Robinson. Adam went about 30 seconds later.” Paddy continued staring down. “How many did we lose on the ground?”

“About 10 or 15. Estimates are still coming in.” This is worse than I thought. “Okay, well we can rebuild. That’s the easy part. What’re we going to do about the lost…” Gene trailed off, not wanting to say anymore.

“We’ve already called in to HQ. They’re sending in 2 more pilots; Jim and….” Paddy looked at the little note. “Th-Thompberry?” Paddy asked in confusion. “I swear names are getting more and more confusing every year,” He shook his head.

“So when are we going to start rebuilding?” Gene asked. Just as Paddy was about to reply, though, a huge rumble went overhead, and a jumbo-jet landed on the runway. “There’s your answer,” Paddy replied as the crews leaped into action, pulling out boards, tools, and cargo from the rear of the jet. Gene smiled.

Time: 2:00 pm, 1 month later

Gene sat back in his chair, reading the latest novel in an extremely satisfying mystery series. Gene was quite the avid reader, and some day, Gene was going to write a story of his own. Maybe about space… He always thought to himself when he thought about it. Space seems so.. Cool

I have called you all here today for a very important reason, The detective said. One of you murdered mister Johnathan Kerman. Gene felt his heartbeat quicken. Every time he read a book, his imagination went wild, and he felt like he was actually in the book. And the murderer is.. The page changed. Just as he was about to turn the page and figure out who murdered the wealthy landowner, however, the phone rang.

“Hello?” Gene asked into the receiver, continuing to read on. “Hello Colonel. This is General Dwight D. Kerman,” The kerbal on the other end said, making Gene leap up into a salute. However, his saluting hand was also the hand the book was in. “Ow!” Gene exclaimed, rubbing his forehead.

“Oh not you sir,” Gene explained. “I hit myself in the head with a book.” The General laughed. “Which one?” He asked. Gene looked at the cover. “The latest Kerman Khronicles, sir,” Gene replied. “The butler did it,” The General whispered, and Gene threw the book across the room.

“I DID NOT HEAR THAT!” Gene shouted, making the General laugh. “Just kidding,” He chortled, before whispering again, “It was the maid.” Gene repeated himself, making the General burst out laughing. “Now down to business.” Gene sat down in his chair, and prepared to listen.

“I’m sending in a massive bombing run over behind enemy lines,” Dwight said. “It’ll be KC-130’s going in, and to what intelligence says is a possible weapons factory. We need you to go in and escort the bombers to the target.” Gene nodded.

“That’ll be easy,” Gene replied. “When should we mobilize?” He asked. “I’m planning to launch the bombers at 1800 hours tomorrow night from the Ben Bay, and we plan to return by around 2030 hours.” The General replied. “What’s the area of our target?” Gene went over to his map.

“Near Blackheart City; about half a kilometer outside the city limits.” Gene looked over the map, and mentally calculated fuel usage, time needed in the air, and stops for refills. “Sir, I don’t think the M-1’s are going to be able to last that long,” Gene finally said. “Even with drop-tanks, we’re going to have to make a fuel stop somewhere along the way.”

“We’ve contended for that,” Dwight remarked. “We’ve got a design plan made out. It’s based off of a USK fighter jet, and it’s got tons of drop tanks. We’ll label her the M-2, and you can use them.” Gene smiled. A new plane? The pilots always loved the newest planes. Something about their power and seeming invincibility made them feel unbeatable. However, there were always payoffs. Pros and Cons.

“Sir?” Gene asked. “How much fuel is the M-2 going to have? And also, what engines are we using?” The General checked his notes. “She’ll have about 1350 units of liquid fuel, and your engine’s going to be the Panther.” Gene ran through the numbers in his head. “That’s going to be a pretty heavy plane come battle time,” Gene thought out loud. “We’re testing out a front-canard system that should increase the maneuverability.” Gene sighed.

“Alright, sir. I’ll tell the pilots we’ve got a mission. When should we expect the planes to arrive?” He asked. “According to estimates, anywhere from 5 seconds ago to 5 minutes from now,” Dwight replied. “Thank you sir,” Gene said, before hanging up.

Gene rubbed his collar and felt the little medal, signifying he was a colonel. They had promoted him just a couple weeks ago, and the feeling of command was incredible. Being able to talk to Generals like they were best buddies was an exhilarating thought. This must be what Hans felt like before.. Gene thought. He shook his head. Don’t. Don’t think about it. Gene thought. Oh! The book!

Gene rushed over to pick up the book, and turned the page. Gene read how each suspect couldn’t have committed the murder. First the Maid. Then the Cook. Then the Butler. Then the Wife. And so, with that conclusion, The detective paced around. It was you, Mister Jackson! The detective pointed at the gardener. Wow, Gene thought. Who would have thought that?! Remembering the fact he had a mission to accomplish, Gene set the book down, and ran to the Living quarters.

Gene saw everyone in the Lounge, and walked in. The room was eerily silent, even though every pilot was there. “Imperialist,” Davis muttered, and Paddy leaped up, making Davis pop up as well. Oh this won’t end well, Gene thought.

Davis let a punch fly, hitting Paddy square in the jaw and throwing him to the floor. Thompberry, who was Paddy’s good friend and a stelar pilot, socked Davis in the face, knocking Davis out. Then Adam, who was going to Davis’s defense, then decked Thompberry. Then Jim decided to get into the action, attempting to kick in Adam’s stomach, but hitting a little lower. “Sorry,” Jim apologetically yelped to the incapacitated Adam.

“HEY!” Gene bellowed, making everyone freeze. “You 4,” Gene pointed to Paddy, Adam, Thompberry, and Jim. “Go to my office. Now. Someone get Davis to the infirmary.” He said. “Also, we’ve got a mission scheduled for tomorrow night. Go to the hangar and look over the plans. Dismissed.” Gene walked out, and met everyone in his office a couple minutes later.

“Explain,” Gene simply said, speaking with a stern tone similar to a principal talking to his students. Jim began speaking. “Well we were just hanging out, and all of a sudden, Davis starts giving us an impromptu history lesson, stating how terrible East Kerbin was with all their kingdoms and stuff. Well that really started to boil Paddy’s blood, and he started firing back with how we couldn’t keep out country from splitting apart.”

“He insulted my country!” Paddy exclaimed in defense. “Kommunist,” Adam muttered. “Rebel!” Paddy retorted. “Anyone got a tissue? Sorta bleeding out over here,” Thompberry muttered, holding his nose. Gene passed him a box. 

“Now I don’t know what kicked all this off, but I don’t want it to happen again.” Gene said. “I let you guys have some wiggle room and everything turns into a pub brawl! Now, I expect to have none of this happening again, understood?” The pilots nodded.

“Good. Paddy? Put some ice on that. Adam? Uh.. Yeah, take it easy. And Jim?” Gene smiled as the pilots left. “Nice kick.” Jim smiled, and walked out. Now all they had to do was survive a bombing mission.

Time: 7:00 pm, The next day

“If you do one more barrel roll I’ll put you on KP for the rest of the month,” Gene shouted over the radio. The M-2’s were so much more maneuverable than all the other planes they’d flown before, and it was so much fun to test their limits. We still have to act somewhat professional though, Gene kept reminding himself about every 5 minutes.

“Sorry boss,” Paddy replied. “It’s just so much fun!” Paddy’s plane leveled out, and he fell back into line. “Don’t call me boss,” Gene smiled. “But yeah, it is really fun.” He smiled.

The M-2’s were perfect. They had tons of fuel, great handling, and top-of-the-line weapons. The cons? Gene thought Megs question summed it up pretty good; “Uh.. Is this a joke?” The plane was butt-ugly, with canards in the most random places, and a frankly dreadful tail design. But hey- If it gets the job done, that’s all that matters.

“So how far out are we from Blackheart?” Meg asked as she fell behind a bomber for slipstream. “According to my math, we should be dropping the bombs in about 20 minutes,” Gene replied, letting the plane glide along in the slipstream of another fighter unit. Even though the planes had a lot of extra fuel, everyone was trying their hardest to conserve those crucial few drops.

Gene changed radio frequencies, and began talking with the bomber pilots. “Hey guys, how far out are we from dropping the payloads?” He asked, looking at his fuel. “We’re about 15 minutes out by now; Our estimates are saying that Blackheart’s about 30 or so kilometers out, so just be ready,” The lead pilot answered. “Roger that,” Gene said, before going back to the White Wing radio.

“According to Green-cloud 1, we’re about 15 minutes out, so start getting ready,” Gene called, looking down to see if he could find any light clusters signifying a village or two. Even though it was late at night, there was still a light or two peeking out of the darkness.

As Gene was daydreaming (Or.. Night-dreaming?), Gene was blinded by a huge cluster of lights. Blackheart. “Bombs away!” The lead bomber shouted, the plane dropping bomb after bomb after bomb, each one of the 500-pound chunks of steel able to cause the deaths of kerbals down below. Families. Oh Kerb what have I done? Gene questioned. But it was too late; the bombers were already closing their bay doors.

“Look at that!” Meg exclaimed, looking at the orange fireballs down below. “It’s like a Kristmas light show!” Paddy agreed in excitement. “Planes,” Gene said, noticing the shadows blocking out the lights below.

“Flak!” one of the bombers shouted as a huge explosion went off in front of them. “SCATTER!” Gene yelled as the White Wings began to engage the enemy fighters. Gene managed to dispatch one fighter from above, and turned onto the tail of another. Just gotta line this up.. Gene thought as his finger danced on the trigger. However, Gene forgot about one thing: The Anti-Aircraft fire.

The explosion tore off the rear of Gene’s plane, but thankfully, the wings were still intact. “GOING DOWN!” Gene yelled into the microphone. “Good luck,” A bomber pilot replied. Gene signed off the radio and tried to glide down.

Gene found a clearing and prepared to land. Just a little farther.. He thought. As the landing gear went down, a sudden realization went over Gene. I’m about to his the trees.

Gene wrenched the stick up, and tried to get some lift on what little control surfaces there were left on the plane. However, just as the plane seemed to clear the tree line, the right wing hit a tree, wrenching it off and sending the fuselage into a wild tumble.

Gene clenched his eyes shut, and prayed that he wound land safely. Suddenly, a huge Boom! went through the craft, shaking Gene to the teeth as the plane rolled along the ground. Then an even louder bang sent the craft going into a flip, before landing into a tiny stream, sending up a burst of water and steam.

Well I’m alive! Gene’s first thought was as he popped out of the ruined plane. But I’m behind enemy lines… A cold horror gripped his heart. What am I going to do?

Edited by DarkOwl57

So quick status update, I'm merging Chapters 18 and 19 together into 1. Due to poor planning on my part, I accidentally made 18 too short, so instead of having a tiny chapter, I'm just getting 1 long chapter instead of 2 short ones.

So update.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to finish Civil war. *Dodges molotov* I KNOW, I KNOW! It's just that they're taking up the laptops I'm typing the story up on sometime next week, and I've still got at lease 10 chapters left. I may be able to type some on my home PC, but since I don't have a full Pages doc at my disposal, it'll not be as good. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dark

*throws headphones* 979 WORDS?! 979- *sigh* Oh well; End of Part 2. Enjoy!

Chapter 18

Shot Down

Time: 7:35 pm

2 Escort missions, 2 crashes, Gene thought as he kicked a rock into the stream. He was in the worst bind possible; No provisions, no communication, no money- Not even a compass. Gene opened his mouth and began shouting just for the heck of it.

He continued for almost a full minute, stopping only twice for breath. That. Felt. Awful. Gene admitted to himself, rubbing his throat and sitting down on a log. The fire that had been the brand-new M-2 was now nothing but a few little glowing embers, casting an eerie orange glow on the hollow shell of the plane.

As he was relaxing, however, Gene heard something coming towards him. Without thinking, he leaped behind a boulder, praying he wouldn’t be found. Great, I get shot down only to be caught by an enemy patrol. Gene held his breath, and not a moment too soon.

3 soldiers burst into the clearing, holding weapons. Yup. Patrol. They walked around for a minute, one of them staying close to the plane as if reading the side. “Nothing here,” One voice said. The voice was freakishly familiar. It can’t be.. Gene thought. The soldier turned, and Gene finally got a glimpse of his face.

Gene flashed back to that mission so many months ago. The bullets leaving the enemy’s plane. The fire trailing off of Hans’s plane. Gene going down with him. Hans dying.

One teensy problem though. Hans was 2 feet from Gene. And he wasn’t dead.

Time: 7:40 pm

Gene almost passed out. How…. Why? Gene asked himself. “Gene?” The soldier whispered. The voice still sounded the same. “Hans?!” Gene whispered back. As soon as the word left his mouth though, a sudden realization came over Gene. It could be a trap. What if that wasn’t Hans? ‘Hans’ turned, and saw Gene, and a huge grin went across his face.

“Gene!” Hans exclaimed, and ran over to him to give him a hug. “Ribs. Cracking.” Gene  wheezed, and Hans released him. Hans’s eyebrows went up as he saw Gene’s collar, and he nodded.

“Colonel! I’m impressed! And commander of your own unit I see,” Hans whistled. “So how have you been?” He sat down on a log, and Gene followed suit.

“Well, first off, they split the EFS. Everyone but me and Meg got spread out Kraken knows where, the Brass made me CO of the KAFB, I am somehow immortal, and thanks to international aid our unit’s got 1 Dystrios pilot, 2 from East Kerbin and 1 that can be our translator in case Wernher gets upset and starts speaking foreign.” Gene smiled as he rattled off information.

“Sounds like you’ve been busy,” Hans laughed. Gene smiled. “So how has it been on your end? I mean, forget how you’ve been; How are you even alive?!” He asked. Hans’s face fell. Then, he began story telling.

“When I got shot down, there was fire everywhere. Nothing was left in the cockpit. I thought that was it for me. But I remembered about an ejection mechanism I built into the plane. So, I pressed the button, and ejected out of what was left of my plane. Then, I blacked out.

Next thing I know, I’m kraken knows where in some medical bay. They just kept on running test after test. They built me up. Made me stronger. Better. I tried to fight it, but it just never worked. They tried to remove my memories- Change who I was. Fortunately that part didn’t work.

Then I find my self in their Air Force. They kept on trying to get info from me, but I fed them false information. I remember in my first fight, I kept on trying to not shoot down any planes. I kept on faking problems with the plane.”

“Oh my gun’s jammed!” Gene shouted, imitating Hans in a battle. “Exactly,” Hans laughed, before continuing on.

“But I’ve got bad news. The PRNS has been designing a new bomb. It’s got wings, an engine, and can go for about 10 kilometers depending on how high the plane is that drops it. It could level everything if it’s put into full production.”

Hans pulled out a bundle of papers.

“Give these to Wernher at all costs. Maybe he could find a way to reverse-engineer this thing or something.” Hans handed Gene the papers. “I’m going to do my best to stop it from the inside.” Hans stood up.

“No!” Gene exclaimed. “Come back to us! You could fight with us! Help us! We need you!” Hans shook his head. “I’m sorry. I have to do this. It’s for the nation. If not for the nation, then for myself if I have to sound like a greedy jerk.” Hans smiled.

“Don’t worry, you’ll see me again,” Hans insisted. Gene understood. “Alright man. Good luck,” He gave Hans a handshake. 

“See you around, eh?” Hans grinned, and seemed to melt into the shadows.

Time: 6:00am, The next day

Gene sneezed, sending up dust and grass blades. Grass.. GRASS?! Oh yeah, grass, he thought as he groaned and groggily woke up. Rubbing himself to make an attempt at waking up, he made a mental checklist. Behind enemy lines? Check. Hungry? Check. Lost? Check-Check. Gene looked up into the sky to try to get his bearings.

“So sun is there,” Gene muttered as he pointed to his left. “So north is that way, West is that way and South…” Gene broke off as he saw a plume of smoke. “Is the remains of Blackheart.”

Now with his bearings gained, and his mind set, Gene began the walk straight into the heart of the enemy.

End of Part 2

16 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So update.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to finish Civil war. *Dodges molotov* I KNOW, I KNOW! It's just that they're taking up the laptops I'm typing the story up on sometime next week, and I've still got at lease 10 chapters left. I may be able to type some on my home PC, but since I don't have a full Pages doc at my disposal, it'll not be as good. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dark

I hope you can find a way to continue... this is getting good! And not just because I'm in it... lol... BTW, thanks, I'm honored!!!  :D

Just now, Just Jim said:

I hope you can find a way to continue... this is getting good! And not just because I'm in it... lol... BTW, thanks, I'm honored!!!  :D

No problem man! I had to get you into my story somehow XD

AAALLLRIGHTY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! 2 CHAPTERS IN ONE DAY! LET'S DO THIS THING!!! (Note: This has been about 3005 words uploaded today alone. That's incredible!)

Welcome to Part 3

Chapter 19

The Remains of Blackheart

Time: 6:35am

Gene hid behind a ginormous pumpkin as he saw the rising smoke in the distance. He hissed a curse as he watched a young lady who appeared to own the patch exit her home, tending to the wash. Gene had to get at those clothes. His uniform was too obviously NSK, and he would be picked up by the SPS- The PRNS’s elite military police- about 5 seconds after entering the city limits. But every second he wasted here, he was being put at a greater risk of getting caught.

A one, and-a two, and-a three! Gene thought as he leaped out from behind the pumpkin. Fortunately, the lady had her back turned. Okay, a little fear factor, Gene was thinking on how to get the clothesline. Just scare her a little bit. Not too much though. Don’t want to-

“FREEZE KID!” A harsh voice shouted. Gene whirled around and found himself faced by a very, very mad farmer with a double-barrel shotgun. Gene did the only thing he could.

“I SURRENDER!” He yelped as he put his hands up. The farmer glanced at Gene, and saw his collar. Was it Gene’s imagination? Or was that angry glint in the farmers eyes fading? Without warning, the farmer set the gun down on the floor.

“Amanda,” The farmer said to the young girl who had unfortunately dropped her water bucked. “Get some food on the stove for our guest of the day.”

Time: 6:40am

“This is delicious!” Gene said as he sipped the odd drink. “What is it?” The farmer smiled. “Cows blood and pumpkin juice,” He smiled. Gene immediately began coughing. “Oh don’t mind father,” Amanda said as she hit the farmer. “The pumpkin juice part’s right, but it’s cows milk.” Gene wheezed, but finally stopped coughing. “So the sweet stuff’s the juice, right?” Amanda nodded. “Yup. We’re the number on-“ She started, before a loud BANG! rose from the shed. “BESSIE!” Amanda yelled, rushing out of the cottage. “Our cow,” The farmer explained.

“So what brings you out this way?” The farmer relaxed in his chair. Gene decided to trust him. “I got shot down about 3 kilometers that way,” Gene pointed off towards the forest. “Got called in by top brass to take out some factories.” Gene immediately winced as he realized he could be talking about this kerbals place of work. “Sorry about blowing up your city,” Gene immediately apologized. “Ah it’s okay,” The farmer said, extending his hand. “Name’s John.” Gene shook Johns hand, and he smiled. “Good, firm handshake. Not bad.”

“I hate this place anyways. Too loud.” Gene smiled. “So why are you taking me in?” He inquired. “Well, I have no love for the Rebellion. Just a bunch of idiot rebels trying to get their way,” John stood up and held a photo. It showed a young kerbal- a little younger than Gene- with a massive smile. “They took my son. Forced him to fight for them..”

“Maybe he could come back,” Gene said, hoping for the best. “No. He.. he died. The barrel malfunctioned and.. Boom.” John held the photo like it was a baby, cradling it in his arms.

“I.. I’m sorry for your loss,” Gene tried. Unfortunately, consoling wasn’t really his thing. “The past is the past,” John replied. “As one doctor once said, ‘Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.’ Unfortunately that happened to my boy.” John set the photo back on the mantle. 

“So you need a way to the city, right?” John asked. “That would be appreciated.” Gene nodded. “Alright. I’ll give you some clothes, and drive you out to the city. Your choppers always go to the cities to act as Red Kross relief, right?” Gene again nodded. “Alright. Get dressed. We’ll leave in about 10 minutes.”

Time: 7:00am

Gene looked just like a farmer. The clothes were a little dirty, rumpled, and were perfect camouflage. If Meg had been there, she would have busted out laughing.

“You ready to go?” John asked as he closed the truck door. Amanda rushed up, panting a little bit from the run. She was holding a bag of.. something. It made a weird clinking noise. “For the road,” She said, handing Gene the bag. Inside were at least 15 bottles of the milk/juice mixture.

“Oh gosh,” Gene whispered. “How could I thank you?” Amanda smiled. “Fly safe,” She replied. “I don’t want to be seeing you around here unless the war’s over and your transport’s in one piece.” Gene laughed. “Will do,” He said. Then, without warning, he planted a kiss right on her cheek. “Now whatever was that for?” Amanda asked. “Services rendered,” Gene smiled in return.

“Well you’ve got to do better than that!” Amanda grinned, before giving Gene a kiss straight on the mouth. Gene released himself, and his face turned the color of a ripe tomato.

“Uhm.. See you,” Gene whispered hoarsely. He hopped into the truck, and closed the door. “Let’s get on the road,” Gene smiled, and John popped the truck into gear, driving down the road towards one of the enemy’s most well-guarded cities.

Time: 7:45am

“Uh oh; What have we here?” John muttered, waking Gene up. There was a roadblock right in front of them, and it looked like they were checking cars. “Just act natural,” John said. “Remember; you’re my nephew coming up to stay with me while your ma’s ill; ok?” Gene nodded. The truck stopped, and a guard came up to the window.

“Morn-in, John,” One of the guards came up to the window. “Hey there, Scott. How’s Marie doing?” John replied. “Good, good,” The guard said. “Listen, we gotta get into town; you mind letting us through?” John asked. Moment of truth..

“Nu-uh. No chance. Not unless you’ve got ID on ya,” Scott shook his head. “Please? My nephew’s got to grab some seeds from the garden store,” John pleaded, before whispering, “He’s trying to be a scientist of all things. Trying to see if he can make some sort of hybrid plant of something.” Scott chuckled. “Will wonders never cease,” He shook his head again.

“But I can’t let you in. Rules are rules, after all,” Scott looked in apologetically. “Sorry, son.” Gene frowned, and looked down at his pants. “Please?” John whispered. “Remember how I saved your skin back a few months ago.” Scotts face furrowed as he thought. 

“Alright, go ahead. But be careful; they’re saying there could be some un-exploded bombs,” Scott waved them through. Thank the Kraken, Gene thought as the truck passed into the city.

As soon as the truck was out of sight of the checkpoint, John dropped Gene off. “You gonna be okay, son?” He asked. Gene shook his head. “I’m good, thanks. I appreciate you taking me in,” He shook Johns hand. “Don’t mention it,” John said as he drove off. Now, for better or worse, he was in Blackheart City.

Time: 8:00am

Gene walked through the ruined city, trying to find out where a helicopter could land to pick up injured civilians. As he was walking down a street that used to have houses, a huge cry came up. “HELP!” Someone cried. Gene whirled to see someone trying to kick down a door to reach a child inside. The roof looked like it was about to collapse.

Gene dove in through a window, rolling to a stop right next to the child. “BRYSON!!” The child’s mother shrieked. “Let’s get you to your ma,” Gene said to the child. He picked him up, cradled him in his hand like a ball, and then walked right back out of the window.

And not a moment too soon. As soon as Gene got his other foot onto the stone road, the roof collapsed right where the child was. Gene set the child down, and lay down right next to him. The child’s mother ran over, and hugged him.

“You saved my son!” She cried to Gene, tears streaming down her face. “Don’t mention it,” Gene coughed. “Thank you so, so much.” The mother said. “How can I repay you?” She asked. Gene just waved her off. “No, I insist!” She reached into her pocket. “It’s all I have, but you deserve it.” She handed Gene the money. “I can’t take-“ Gene started, before he saw a group of SPS rounding the corner.

“Got to go!” Gene exclaimed, running down an alleyway. He kept running, hooping he could escape them. A couple lefts here, a right or two there, and he was away from the SPS. Panting, he bent over. That was close, He thought. Suddenly, he heard something that sounded like a whimper.

Turning around, Gene found another small child- A young girl not much older than 2 or 3. Her dark hair was covered in dust, and her face was tear-streaked. What is she doing here? Gene thought. The street was abandoned; there wasn’t anyone around. “What’re you doing here?” Gene asked, his voice soft like he was talking to a pet- trying to soothe her.

“House,” She whispered, pointing to an empty lot across the road. “What do you mean?” Gene asked again. Again, the child whispered, “House.” A sickening feeling rose in Gene’s stomach. That lot was her house.

“Where are your parents?” Gene asked again, hugging the girl to keep her warm in the cold morning. The girl pointed, and a tear carved through the dust down her face. Gene sighed. This must be what I looked like those years ago.. He thought to himself.

“Alright, little one,” Gene said as he picked up the little girl. “Let’s go.” Gene walked out of the little alleyway, and then a shadow blocked out the sun, and the air was filled with a huge buzzing.

Time: 8:34am

Gene covered the girls ears, and ran back into the alley. He looked up to see a helicopter landing in the lot across the road. He ducked down below the rotors, and opened up the door to see Paddy. “YOU?!” Gene exclaimed. Because the chopper was already full, it took off. Then Gene realized. The other White Wing pilots were on the chopper! Paddy looked at Gene, and then the child. “You want to tell us anything?” He asked, making Gene blush.

“She’s not mine! I found her in an alleyway.” Gene rubbed the girls head. “I think she’s an orphan.” Meg whipped her head around from the cockpit. “YOU DID WHAT?!” She shrieked, being heard even over the helicopters rotors.

“There is no way we’re keeping her,” Meg said, trying to keep her tone steady. “How could we not?” Gene fired back. “She’s an orphan, who’s just seen her parents killed by a 500 pound piece of death. She’s seen things at 3 that no-one should have to see in their entire lives. We’re keeping her.”

“SHE’S THE ENEMY!” Meg shouted back. “SHE’S 3! HOW IS SHE GOING TO KILL US IN OUR SLEEP?!” Gene yelled. Gene realized that the entire chopper was watching them. 

“I didn’t have to do this, but I’m pulling rank. Meg, she’s ours. End of story.” Gene sat back and could almost see the steam pouring out of Meg’s ears, but she stayed silent. “Yes sir,” She muttered, flying the heli at max speed.

Time: 10:15am

The chopper finally landed, and the pilots all piled out. The entire flight had been fairly uneventful; Paddy was entertaining the girl with a game of Peek-a-boo, and Gene’s news about Hans still being alive went over like a load of bricks.

Gene ran over to R&D, and met up with Wernher. “This is.. This is nothing like I’ve ever seen before,” Wernher muttered as he looked over the blueprints Hans had given. “Danke, Gene,” Wernher said. “You may have just saved us all.”

Edited by DarkOwl57
*typos*

13 minutes ago, KSK said:

Aaaand I'm all caught up! Thank you @DarkOwl57 for a very fun evening!

You're most welcome :D I'll be gone for a bit. Expect the next issue to be in a couple weeks. They're taking up the PC I type on in 3-ish days, so there goes me typing during school hours. Once summer break starts on the 18th, expect the remaining 6 or 7 chapters

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

You're most welcome :D I'll be gone for a bit. Expect the next issue to be in a couple weeks. They're taking up the PC I type on in 3-ish days, so there goes me typing during school hours. Once summer break starts on the 18th, expect the remaining 6 or 7 chapters

Take your time.. We all know the deal, like it or not, school always comes first. :) 

On 5/5/2017 at 3:48 PM, Just Jim said:

Take your time.. We all know the deal, like it or not, school always comes first. :) 

Gracias. I've learned it's actually next Monday they're taking up laptops, so yay! More typing! 

So quick update on the story:

So far, I've typed 26,616 words (Including about a paragraph in Chapter 20). This means we're averaging over 1330 words per chapter! That's insane! Expect chapter 20 soon!

(Note: OHMYGOD MY POSTS ARE ALMOST EQUAL TO MY REP! YEEEAAAAHHH!!!)

Short Chapter today.. Really busy with school but now that I have one week to go, I'm doing my best to press all these chapters out as fast as I can. Enjoy Chapter 20!

Chapter 20

The Mistake

Time: 10:00am, 2 Weeks later

Gene laid back, and exhaled as he looked out at the complex. Through the past 2 weeks, the camp had decided to name her Ariana, and after about a week, she had decided to give Gene the honorary ‘dad’ role, and Meg the ‘mom’ role. (Meg was still uncertain about having the child on the base in the first place.) Suddenly, Paddy ran up to Gene, out of breath.

“Ta.. Tap..” Paddy wheezed. “Slow down there,” Gene cautioned. When Paddy finally caught his breath, he said “TAPE declared war on us.” Gene stepped back. “WHAT?!” he exclaimed.

“Bomber crew. Got lost. Flew over. Military airspace.” Paddy panted. Oh my gosh.. Gene thought. Even with East Kerbin on the NSK’s side, they were still struggling with beating the rebels back. How were they going to do now there was another nation to defeat?

Time: 9:15am; 45 minutes ago

“Alrighty, so we’re going to refuel in TAPE, correct?” Robby asked his copilot. They had just completed a successful run, but due to the distance to the nearest airbase, the two had decided to refuel in the Territorial Arid Protection Entente. “Yup. The last station gave us landing clearance and told us the coords. We should be there in a couple of minutes,” John replied.

“Should we call in and make sure they know?” John asked. “Why? They said that they would pass on the message! Plus, we’ve got the landing code!” Robby confidently smiled. “We’ll be fine.” The plane continued on for a little more than 5 minutes, and then the desert flats began to rise over the horizon.

“Red Sands Airbase, this is Flight NSK854B. We are requesting landing clearance; Code F753CEL. Requesting landing on the main runway; Over.” John said into the radio. After a few tense moments, a voice crackled a reply. “Copy that, 854. We have received information from Tracking Station 2. Could you please repeat that code? Over.” John repeated.

“Alright, hand still for a second,” The base operator replied. “We’re checking the code.” Robby smiled. “See? No problem.” John frowned. “Something’s off. Something’s very off.” Robby shrugged.

“Okay flight, you’re cleared for landing,” The voice said over the radio, before the entire connection went dead. “The heck?” Robby muttered as he slapped the radio console. Suddenly, another voice came over.

“Aircraft, this is Tan Leader. You are flying over restricted airspace. Please divert your course immediately or we will be forced to take defensive measures. Please acknowledge.” Robby grabbed the radio. “Uh, Flight Leader? We got a clearance code for landing from Tracking Station 2 to land at this specific airbase. If we don’t land here, we’re going to run out of fuel!”

“Negative. I repeat, please divert course immediately or you will be fired upon.” The flight leader replied. Robby gave a nod to John, who went to the rear of the plane. “WE GOT CLEARANCE!” Robby yelled. “For the final time, divert course!” The leader sternly replied. “Tracking Station 2 gave us clearance code F735CEL. Your own ACT gave us clearance to land!” Robby retorted. “Tracking Station 2 doesn’t exist.” The leader replied. “FIRE AT WILL!” He shouted. “JOHN! FIRE!” Robby shouted over the radio. A swarm of bullets flew from all three planes, and a loud explosion went off behind the bomber.

“One down!” John shouted in glee. However, there was another huge explosion, and the plane began dropping. “We’re hit!” Robby shouted.

He tried to correct the plane. A roll here, pitch there. But the plane fell to the ground, throwing up smoke and sand into the air. The plane finally slowed, rolling to a stop in the sand dunes. Groaning, Robby spat out, and saw a load of blood. John was right, he thought. He heard crunching as soldiers ran over. What have we done…

Guess what? I messed up. So I was gonna upload Chapter 22. Problem? I didn't upload 21. So you're getting a double upload! YEY!

Enjoy

Chapter 21

The Rocket

Time: 1:40pm, 1 Week later

Gene sighed and leaned back in his chair as he looked over the battle reports from the previous days. At first it had seemed like the NSK could hold off the TAPE threat. However, in the last 5 days, TAPE’s attackers were pounding the NSK’s forts and defenses. And the fighters were dominating over the outdated F-61’s which were somehow still being used by almost 65% of the air force. In other words, it hadn’t been a good week.

One good thing- East Kerbin’s Royal Navy was decimating any ship that attempted to cross the National Ocean. Their navy was the greatest in the world, and any navy that tried to contest them were demolished. So the NSK had no worries navy-wise.

Wernher walked in, and sat down at the desk. “You coming to the launch today?” Wernher asked. Gene raised his eyebrows, but kept reading. “Launch? There’s a launch today?” Gene asked. “Yeah; The launch of the new missile.” Wernher nodded. “I’ll see if I can pencil it in,” Gene replied. “It’s already out on the launchpad,” Wernher said, before walking out.

Gene sighed. I’ll be able to get a little more work done, Gene thought as he got up from his chair. As Gene walked past the VAB, he saw a beautiful rocket, with some sort of payload hidden inside of what everyone was calling a ‘fairing’. Why does no-one tell me these things? Gene asked himself as he set up a lawn chair.

Over the course of the next 15 minutes, the crowd continued to grow. By 2:00, almost the entire KAFB was there. Wernher was up on the launchpad, and tapping a mic for attention.

“Good afternoon everyone,” Wernher said, and the general murmur ceased. “So a few weeks ago, one of our own managed to find some information regarding a new bomb designed by the PRNS. It could destroy almost everything we know. So, we decided to make our own.”

The crowd clapped as some lights illuminated the rocket. Great job guys, Gene sarcastically thought. Light up a ship in the middle of the day. Great job.

“So we’ll launch in 10.. 9..” Wernher began counting down, while running behind a table for cover. Uh.. “3.. 2..” Do we have cov- Gene wondered, before being flown back by the rocket exhaust. It flew up into the air, turning towards the north.

“It works!” Wernher breathed, head pointed towards the rocket on a guided course. Gene stumbled up, and stood next to Wernher. “It’s beautiful,” He said. Wernher just continued looking up. Gene patted his shoulder, and walked back to the Admin building. Back to work.

Time: 2:12pm

“What could that be?” The radar officer asked. There was a really tiny blip on the radar. Too big to be wildlife.. But too small for a plane. Then, a soldier rushed down the stairs.

“Sir!” He shouted. “Missile incoming!” Missile?! Suddenly, there was a ginormous explosion. The building’s ceiling cracked. And then the room caved in, making the world go dark.

“What was that?!” The President of the PRNS asked. He was on a tour, and so far it had been very uneventful. Smoke rose from where the RADAR control building was.

“I.. I think that was a missile,” His assistant replied. The President frowned. “Someone’s leaked the bomb’s plans. We’ve got a spy..”

Chapter 22

Heating Up

Time: 1:00pm, 3 Weeks later

The planes landed back at the KAFB and the pilots wearily got out, ignoring the light drizzle that seemed to cover everything. They had been doing battles seemingly constantly, stopping only to eat, sleep, and refuel. Bathroom breaks were considered optional. The latest battle had been eliminating enemy air forces as they escorted a couple of attackers on a naval bombing.

The explosion from the enemy ship had been tremendous. It was so big in fact, that the underside of Gene’s plane was covered in diesel oil, even though his plane was about 100 meters overhead.

“Watch it guys,” Gene cautioned the fuelers. “I don’t want to turn into Kerbal Flambé as soon as I step out.” After the crew had given Gene the all-clear to get out, Gene hopped out before getting almost tackled by a messenger.

“Sir!” The messenger breathed. “Let me guess,” Gene said. “Another battle?” The messenger nodded. “The enemy launched an air offensive on Black Krags. You’re supposed to help out friendlies take down the targets.” Gene groaned.

“Hey guys? Black Krags.” Gene called to the other pilots, who gave the same reaction. “What time?” Meg asked. “As soon as we can. So about 10 minutes.” Gene said, and turned to the fuel crews. “Right?” The fueler nodded.

“Yeah, so 10 minutes. Chop, chop.” Gene clapped, and hurried off to his room for a quick snack. 

Rushing into his room, he saw a letter. Now, Gene was on a tight schedule. But he grabbed the letter anyways and, after grabbing a KBar, ran out to his plane. He was first, with Jim close behind. 3 minutes to spare! Meg was next, who was in a dead-sprint to beat Thompberry. Next was Paddy, followed by Davis, Jones, and finally Wilson.

“No KP for me tonight!” Meg shouted with glee to Thompberry. The top-3 to get to their planes were automatically immune from the KP Drawing. “You pushed me!” Thompberry explained, trying to get out of a possible KP.

“Just get in the planes,” Gene warned. “Before you both get put on KP.” The squad hopped into the planes, and began heading towards the north.

Time: 1:45pm

Gene read the letter Scott, and felt the nostalgia rushing back. It seemed like forever ago Gene had been worried about nothing but the World Kup standings and school assignments. Now he was a colonel in the Air Force!

Scott (According to his letter) was not a tank driver, but he also worked in the transporting some as well. He’d put those soccer skills to good use, as he was the champion of his unit. Maybe after the battle Gene could get his skills back to use.

Gene remembered his training back at Black Krags. The early mornings. The fellow pilots. It felt almost like a second home! And someone was messing with it..

“Alright guys, so they don’t know we’re coming. All we have to do is come in high, and just dive down to wipe them out.” Gene planned, immediately rising up to around 10 kilometers. The group continued for a little while, before Gene finally saw the base.

“Alright everyone, this is it! Lower throttle, flaps to combat, and set weapons to armed.” Gene flipped switches, and felt vibrations shudder through the craft as the air-flow changed. Gene looked down, and saw some enemy planes taking off.

“Control, we’ve got 6 hostiles preparing for combat. 4 PRNS… Looks like F-82’s, and 2 ‘Tiger’s from TAPE.” The Tigers were fierce fighters. Using a fast combination of 1 Wheesly engine and 2 Junos to get up to insane speeds. Especially for a turbojet craft. The White Wings would have one heck of a time trying to take these down.

“Yeehaw!” Davis grinned as he pulled out of a dive, blowing off the wing of a F-82. Gene caught onto the tail of a Tiger, but just as he was about to blow it out of the sky, it wheeled away. “Slippery bugger,” Gene muttered as he pulled up to meet the fighter.

A loud explosion went off behind Gene, and a piece of debris whacked his wing. “Sorry!,” Thompberry apologized. “If the enemy’s that close, we really shouldn’t shoot!” Meg chastised. Meanwhile, Gene remained silent.

Pulling the trigger, a quick burst of bullets hit the Tiger. They shredded off the right Juno. Then, a chain-reaction blew off the right wing, sending the enemy into a spiral. “BULLSEYE!” Gene shouted, whirling to engage the next enemy.

A stream of bullets flew past the plane, and a pinging noise followed a couple. The right wing lost all pitch control, and the plane spun wildly out of control. He just shot me! Was Gene’s initial reaction. Then, on instinct, he immediately shut down the main wings elevators, and focused all authority solely on the tail-fins.

“You alright?” Paddy asked as another explosion rang out. “Yeah,” Gene replied, just as Paddy cried out “NO FAIR! THAT WAS MY KILL!” Med laughed. “Snooze ya lose!” Paddy expressed his anger on the remaining F-82.

“Free-for-all!” Jim laughed, purposefully stalling out to get on the tail of the remaining Tiger. Jim was a stellar pilot, and matched the enemy pilot move-for-move. But, even though the Tiger was more maneuverable, the speed of the M-1 was too much to overcome. Jim lined up the shot.

One second seemed to turn into a year. The bullets flew out of Jim’s plane, and went smack into the side of the Tiger. “YEAHAHA!!” Jim shouted in glee, punching the air in his cockpit. The Tiger’s pilot bailed out, but before he could pull the chute, the left wing hit him with a sickening thud, and he hurtled like a missile down to the ground. Gene didn’t look to see where he landed.

“Good job guys,” Gene said, feeling slightly nauseous. “Let’s get home.”

Time: 2:00pm

Gene sighed as he flopped into his bed, glad to be home. As he fell, though, he heard the crunching of paper. Again?! Gene remembered the last time this situation had happened. Please be a letter. Please be a letter. Gene thought as he pulled it out from under him.

The paper wasn’t a letter. It wasn’t a notice. And as Gene read it, he had one thought. They can’t do this. Before he even got halfway down the list, he was already out the door, sprinting to his office. He had to get some answers.

Uh.. You guys know how I said there were only a few more chapters left? Yeah, 23's going to be the last one. I just want to get this over at this point. I've both physically and mentally burned myself out, and it's stopped being fun. I definitively need that summer break...

So 23's in the works! Hope you enjoy the fireworks that'll come.... ohhhh boy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.