Make initial loading screen display screenshots you've taken?

I think it would be a cool feature to make the initial loading screen run a randomized slideshow of the images in your screenshots folder. Give the geezers' a bit of nostalgia each load. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 2/1/2017 at 10:08 AM, John FX said:

Sounds good to me, might be good as an option for once you have played a bit because obviously the first time you load the game there are no screenshots.

No reason we cant keep the current set too :)

Hi, this is my first post.  Been playing and lurking here for a few months.

22 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Sounds like a good mod idea. A mod could do this and keep the stock ones in the mix as well.

Since I've recently started to poke around the API (just for yuks mainly), when I saw this I couldn't resist taking a stab at it as a little exercise.  Wasn't all that hard to add new images...

3Le23BI.jpg

(Mind the mundane image... apparently I've hit the screenshot key accidentally a few times.)

Thing is, just because people like the idea doesn't necessarily mean they'll want to bother to install a mod for it.  (Like I wouldn't, even though I think the idea is rather neat.)  So is there legitimate interest in having this as a mod?

If so I could clean up my quick hack and release it for testing (no promises on how well it works)... probably will make a new post over in the development forum in that case.  If not, at least it was a fun little exercise, plus I was also able to satisfy one other bit of my KSP curiosity in the process because I stumbled across the full list of witty loading "tips".  (Looks like they can also be customized via mod, though I didn't try.)

Spoiler

There's 94 of them.

On 2/1/2017 at 2:08 AM, John FX said:

Sounds good to me, might be good as an option for once you have played a bit because obviously the first time you load the game there are no screenshots.

Stock or mod, it would be best to have options. Default on, drawing from the stock screen pool and the screenshot folder, with options to:

a) disable stock images

b) change or add folders to draw images from.

I wouldn't want the screenshot folder to be the only option, as it may end up with garbage or accidental screenshots in there. Of course, images could always be added to the screenshot folder if one wanted, but the more options, the better!

But I certainly like the idea!

Neat idea.  Actually I recall it coming up quite a while ago.

Just a thought...  If an extra 'custom loading images' folder were added then all that would be needed would be to copy any images we want to use into that,  and an 'allow custom images' check box in settings.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:45 AM, paulprogart said:

Hi, this is my first post.  Been playing and lurking here for a few months.

Since I've recently started to poke around the API (just for yuks mainly), when I saw this I couldn't resist taking a stab at it as a little exercise.  Wasn't all that hard to add new images...

I say release it!  But I'd make at least one change...

Make it so it looks at some directory other then Screenshots, like maybe

GameData/mod-folder/Screenshots

If there's nothing in that folder, just use the stock images...

Thanks for all the feedback.  Development thread is up now:

@pandaman @tg626 - Folder is customizable within the KSP install dir.  Support for multiple folders can of course be added but right now of course the goal is just to make sure it will work stably for everyone.  :wink:

@Ultimate Steve If you mean the tips list, yeah I've included a setting to dump all the included ones to the output log.  Thought about posting them but decided not to since they're borderline easter-eggs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.