Project BABYLON: REBOOT!

Tada

Many of the seasoned veterans of KSP forums will maybe rembember the original "Project BABYLON" a gargantuan effort to establish a colony on Laythe. It had everything. Huge capital shipts, missiles, spacestations, SSTOs and much more. It all went bust since we havent got resources in the promised updates. Then came the BABYLON: Derelict, but now its time for something new.

Game changed so much since 2013 when original project started. Now we have re-entry heat, new 3.75m parts, asteroids, claws and most importantly resources! Back in the day when we started we havent even had rover seats... So I think time has come to start all over again trough a shared save file, which will be updated in regular intervals to keep everyone up to date.

Who is in?

Well... How could I resist? I couldn't remember what fuel margins I needed so I just packed a bunch! There's now about 350tons of fuel/monoprop and a very excited Cristrix Kerman hanging out in equatorial LLO waiting for anything that needs a push or a top off for the tanks. It has every docking node I could think of and com+scanning equipment too.

Here's the file, and I set its permissions to editable, so I believe my google hosting link can be used as a repository as well. LINK. Oh, I had hyperedit (momentarily) on KSP, but it wasn't used. This is a fresh, stock, no-mods sandbox.

Cheers! Now, may I present, the good ship:

Untitled Space Craft

148602498121882.gif

Edited by Cunjo Carl

I'm going to add a spaceplane with jet engines for long distance travel on Laythe. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmOHp1aXZHaC11UVE

This screenshot is the current location of the spaceplane, can anyone get it from here to Laythe's orbit? I tried aerobraking but the wings and intakes disintegrated. Quicksave allowed me to not have to restart the entire project. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmazFEWGtHVGJmc0k

Here is a link to the current version of the save, I couldn't get it to update on the google drive 

Also, does anyone want to add a few relays? The communications network is quite spotty out by Laythe.

Edited by 53miner53

I think I might give the final maneuvering of the jet into LLO another attempt tomorrow. Anyone want to start on the base itself? I could probably attempt it, but it would be another first for me, the interplanetary travel being the first one. I also could attempt a surface scan of the planet with my probe. Suddenly I am coming up with a lot of ideas for this. 

I started up a calendar so we don't step on eachothers' toes, like @nascarlaser1 suggested. In here is the link, which will allow you to (among other things) reserve a time-slot. There's only a few of us at the moment, so I think a couple days at a go isn't a big deal. No accounts required, it's just a simple calendar. Should be perfect for the job!

I haven't figured out the best way to handle the file swapping though. I originally thought my google account could handle it, but now it doesn't seem like it. I think TinyUpload might be a good way to go for now. Every time one of us updates the file we'd need to post a new link, but the process was super simple (even I figured it out) and didn't require accounts. I think it's a good way to go for now, though maybe @Tada has a better idea?

Oh and someone should totally reserve a spot on the calendar and toss something out there as a beginning for the station, humble or no. After all, have you seen the first module for the ISS? It's totally a hallway used for storage now!

As told by Suni WIlliams

For the station, I'd recommend an altitude of 65km (where Untitled Space Craft is) because it gives access to the entirely necessary 50x time warp. Heck, you could even build off of Untitled Space Craft if you'd like, it'd be kind of neat to have a fuel depot as part of the station. It's got a Sr. docking port on the front end, which should be perfect for the job. Welp, see you guys at Laythe!

On 2/2/2017 at 3:24 PM, 53miner53 said:

I'm going to add a spaceplane with jet engines for long distance travel on Laythe. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmOHp1aXZHaC11UVE

This screenshot is the current location of the spaceplane, can anyone get it from here to Laythe's orbit? I tried aerobraking but the wings and intakes disintegrated. Quicksave allowed me to not have to restart the entire project. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmazFEWGtHVGJmc0k

Here is a link to the current version of the save, I couldn't get it to update on the google drive 

Also, does anyone want to add a few relays? The communications network is quite spotty out by Laythe.

I added 3 relays

15 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

My antivirus program is saying the save file has a virus in it. I think we have a problem

I'm not getting anything off it in Windows Defender. Which OS/anti-virus are you using, and does it say the kind of virus?

Fortunately, I'd be surprised if there was actually a virus in there. Nothing in there can be interpreted by anything other than KSP to my knowledge, and the .txt format is pretty secure.

10 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I'm not getting anything off it in Windows Defender. Which OS/anti-virus are you using, and does it say the kind of virus?

Fortunately, I'd be surprised if there was actually a virus in there. Nothing in there can be interpreted by anything other than KSP to my knowledge, and the .txt format is pretty secure.

I am using Mcafee on Windows 10. When I was downloading it mcafee scanned it and blocked it from downloading because it detected a virus. I tried it twice with the same result.

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

How long is this challenge going on for? I doubt I'll be able to do it soon but I'm working on a modded career let's play series called 'Base Race'. I think that just about sums it up

Should be running as long as people are having fun adding their lot to the pile. We still haven't heard back from our OP, @Tada though :) . Glad you've got some fun ideas in any case! Good luck with your LP- same name on YT?

12 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

I am using Mcafee on Windows 10. When I was downloading it mcafee scanned it and blocked it from downloading because it detected a virus. I tried it twice with the same result.

Eh... I agree with @DoctorDavinci it sounds spurious. I went ahead and downloaded the file, extracted and rezipped the contents and hosted it on my google repository. Hopefully one of those changes makes McCafee chill out a bit. 

New link: LINKLINKLINKLINK

I'm looking forward to seeing this space plane!

On 2/4/2017 at 9:47 AM, HobbitJack said:

I added 3 relays

Sweet! These were definitely needed. Welcome to the forums, by the way, @HobbitJack! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

On 2/2/2017 at 2:10 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm down to add a stock research and exploration vessel ... something like in the following video...

Overkill much with your exploration vessels? I love it! The little dinghy looks like a fun ride. Even if you don't send the mothership, definitely send some of those.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:57 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Eh... I agree with @DoctorDavinci it sounds spurious. I went ahead and downloaded the file, extracted and rezipped the contents and hosted it on my google repository. Hopefully one of those changes makes McCafee chill out a bit. 

New link: LINKLINKLINKLINK

I'm looking forward to seeing this space plane!

Thanks, I'll try it when I have the time. It's already in orbit of Jool if you want to check it out, it's the craft in an elliptical and inclined orbit around Jool.

edit: it worked, but the spaceplane seems to have been destroyed, probably by collision with tylo. I hope no one minds if I splice a backup into the save file

Edit 2: Apparently Laythe reentry at 4600 m/s, periapsis at 30000 m, will destroy the wings, intakes, jet engines, and the front inline cockpit. So i'm just clueless for what I should do about that, but now we have a water base on Laythe with some extra monopropellant. And Jeb and Bill. We might want to rescue them. 

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmRVp6eGlqNl9kWXc

Edited by 53miner53

I was part of the original Project Babylon, and ended up taking a long break from KSP after it collapsed.

The plan was for me to launch and transfer the colony ship, taking 134 Kerbals to Laythe alongside 1500 units of monopropellant, and 3600 units of fuel. 

This was to be done by utilizing the Temstar-class mothership, a grouping of modified Temstar created ships. (below is the basis of the colony ship, picture supplied by Temstar)

mscg.jpg

I would like to join the reboot of this project, perhaps designing a mothership to move numerous Kerbals to Laythe.

I can also supply a large, stable rover. 13 Kerbal capacity, 12000 power. The minimal part version uses 44 parts. I've tested it in Kerbal and the Mun. It does utilize lithobraking, which makes it rather hard to land.

cdm5RLa.jpg

Edited by Windchild

23 minutes ago, Windchild said:

I was part of the original Project Babylon, and ended up taking a long break from KSP after it collapsed.

The plan was for me to launch and transfer the colony ship, taking 134 Kerbals to Lathe alongside 1500 units of monopropellant, and 3600 units of fuel. 

This was to be done by utilizing the Temstar-class mothership, a grouping of modified Temstar created ships. (below is the basis of the colony ship, picture supplied by Temstar)

mscg.jpg

I would like to join the reboot of this project, perhaps designing a mothership to move numerous Kerbals to Lathe.

I can also supply a large, stable rover. 13 Kerbal capacity, 12000 power. The minimal part version uses 44 parts. I've tested it in Kerbal and the Mun. It does utilize lithobraking, which makes it rather hard to land.

cdm5RLa.jpg

You're certainly going to do better than I did. I should probably have brought a heat shield, now that I think about it. Just give me a minute. I think I am going to launch another airplane 1.0.1 to LKO for now.

Edit: finished, and the ascent stage has quite a bit of Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, and Monopropellant. It is in LKO if anyone needs it, just don't take from the plane itself of course. I will get the plane to LLO when I design a heatshield for it.

Edited by 53miner53

4 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

You're certainly going to do better than I did. I should probably have brought a heat shield, now that I think about it. Just give me a minute. I think I am going to launch another airplane 1.0.1 to LKO for now.

Edit: finished, and the ascent stage has quite a bit of Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, and Monopropellant. It is in LKO if anyone needs it, just don't take from the plane itself of course. I will get the plane to LLO when I design a heatshield for it.

I have yet to design the actual colony ship. The basic plan I'm working on has space for 289 Kerbals (18x Mk3 Passenger Module, 1x Cupola), 6750 liquid fuel (6x Mk3 to 2.5 Adaptors), and 20,000 electric charge.

Only Clamp-O-Tron Sr. connections currently, should I modify to include other connection types?

The overall design plan is to keep the part count down, even though I don't need to for my computer, so that the dropships can be more complex if needed.

The colony ship won't be finished until this weekend, then I'll test getting it to Laythe. The design won't be able to use aerobraking, which provides another issue.

Edited by Windchild

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.