Project BABYLON: REBOOT!

Tada

1 hour ago, Windchild said:

I have yet to design the actual colony ship. The basic plan I'm working on has space for 289 Kerbals (18x Mk3 Passenger Module, 1x Cupola), 6750 liquid fuel (6x Mk3 to 2.5 Adaptors), and 20,000 electric charge.

Only Clamp-O-Tron Sr. connections currently, should I modify to include other connection types?

The overall design plan is to keep the part count down, even though I don't need to for my computer, so that the dropships can be more complex if needed.

The colony ship won't be finished until this weekend, then I'll test getting it to Lathe. The design won't be able to use aerobraking, which provides another issue.

If you want to use some fuel from my ascent stage, I have a mk-2 clamp o tron on the space plane, and I'll probably leave it in orbit for a while. I don't think it will be able to ssto at laythe, but I also didn't know that it would be able to get to laythe either, or that the design it is based on is theoretically able to circumnavigate kerbin until I tried.

It has 2 14400 tanks worth of LFO (who knew that an actual gravity turn would save a 14400 tank worth of fuel? In previous launches I had waited to pitch down until 20000m before because the launch stack is VERY aerodynamically unstable. This launch even had it flip on the way! I think it is a little overbuilt) left, and at least 240 units of mono prop left.

If you don't want it, I could use it for the interplanetary burn, but go ahead if you need it. I still have to design a heat shield to allow for aerobraking myself. 

Edit: by the way, I have a space shuttle style spaceplane that can bring over 100 kerbals to LKO if you need it.

Edited by 53miner53
Formatting

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

If you want to use some fuel from my ascent stage, I have a mk-2 clamp o tron on the space plane, and I'll probably leave it in orbit for a while. I don't think it will be able to ssto at laythe, but I also didn't know that it would be able to get to laythe either, or that the design it is based on is theoretically able to circumnavigate kerbin until I tried.

It has 2 14400 tanks worth of LFO (who knew that an actual gravity turn would save a 14400 tank worth of fuel? In previous launches I had waited to pitch down until 20000m before because the launch stack is VERY aerodynamically unstable. This launch even had it flip on the way! I think it is a little overbuilt) left, and at least 240 units of mono prop left.

If you don't want it, I could use it for the interplanetary burn, but go ahead if you need it. I still have to design a heat shield to allow for aerobraking myself. 

Edit: by the way, I have a space shuttle style spaceplane that can bring over 100 kerbals to LKO if you need it.

I'll be able to launch the colony ship full, and fill the transfer engines with excess fuel from the launcher.

However, we will need a way to land the Kerbals on Laythe once they get there.

The habitation module of the colony ship is below. There will be two open Clamp-O-Tron Sr. connections if anyone wants to attach something to the ship.

1Msl9Bm.jpg

Edited by Windchild

3 hours ago, Windchild said:

... The design won't be able to use aerobraking, which provides another issue.

9 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Edit 2: Apparently Laythe reentry at 4600 m/s, periapsis at 30000 m, will destroy the wings, intakes, jet engines, and the front inline cockpit.

If I'm remembering right, the burn from interplanetary transfer to LLO is only like 1-1.5km/s right? I'm an old hat at megarockets and 1.2 has made them a breeze- would it be handy for people if I put a big (~1kton) fuel depot in LKO so you could just refuel and burn rockets rather than burn up aerobraking? Laythe is a surprisingly burny place. I've also learned that the hard way very many times! In fact, I think it's all my bad experiences trying to get to Laythe that makes this challenge compelling to me!

Huh. I could even put a bunch of gigantic transfer stages in LKO, so you could just bring up a Sr. Docking Ring, and hitch a ride from it to LLO.

Sorry about the plane, @53miner53, I've been there before! KSP is like darksouls for engineers :) .

Nice colony ship, @Windchild, It'd be the first big influx of Kerbals, which seems kindof momentous.

Edit: Just noticed the second page :blush:. I'll toss some rockets for making transfers up to LKO this weekend. In the meantime, I was thinking here maybe?:

Spoiler
On 2/17/2015 at 5:23 PM, Landge said:

I'm not too far from there. Here's my location:

6AgsI9z.png

I had some jets scout out potential landing sites before committing my main base.

The views:

VZMwKaH.png

In the foreground is my Hopper Lander and Rover. The base in the background.

View from the Base's forward command capsule.

Lmi7Stc.png

It wasn't my initial landing for my base. I actually landed a bit farther inland to the east on uneven terrain. I had enough fuel to relocate the base here.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

6 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

If I'm remembering right, the burn from interplanetary transfer to LLO is only like 1-1.5km/s right? I'm an old hat at megarockets and 1.2 has made them a breeze- would it be handy for people if I put a big (~1kton) fuel depot in LKO so you could just refuel and burn rockets rather than burn up aerobraking? Laythe is a surprisingly burny place. I've also learned that the hard way very many times! In fact, I think it's all my bad experiences trying to get to Laythe that makes this challenge compelling to me!

Huh. I could even put a bunch of gigantic transfer stages in LKO, so you could just bring up a Sr. Docking Ring, and hitch a ride from it to LLO.

Sorry about the plane, @53miner53, I've been there before! KSP is like darksouls for engineers :) .

Nice colony ship, @Windchild, It'd be the first big influx of Kerbals, which seems kindof momentous.

I think I will eventually try again, just with heatshields. I could have tried to slow down with the nuclear engine, but it would have taken too long, and I had backed myself into a corner where it was either Laythe orbit/ground or a head on collision with Jool. I was thinking I was lucky that Jeb and Bill would consistently survive and there were no other kerbals in the other cockpit.

3 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Sorry about the plane, @53miner53, I've been there before! KSP is like dark souls for engineers :) .

Nice colony ship, @Windchild, It'd be the first big influx of Kerbals, which seems kind of momentous.

Edit: Just noticed the second page :blush:. I'll toss some rockets for making transfers up to LKO this weekend. In the meantime, I was thinking here maybe?:

We will need landing ships and habitats before this ship will move the colonists over. This should just give us a major push towards setting up the initial colonies.

I've managed to get the Babylon Colony Ship into orbit on my personal save.

It took a 3075 ton launcher and 221400 units of Liquid Fuel to get 208 tons with 6750 units of Liquid Fuel.

Despite this, it barely reached orbit, due to issues with it disintegrating. I ended up not doing a gravity turn, and just brute forcing it out of the atmosphere, then circularized the orbit. 

The next goal is to develop a transfer system for Laythe. I'm thinking about utilizing a dual push-pull system. Any system that is reliant on pushing only will destroy the ship by pulling it apart, while a pull system wouldn't likely have enough power to move this heavy ship.

3lnh6Bs.jpg

An album of the overall launch system (http://imgur.com/a/MPuWc).

Another legacy picture. The Munbug 1, and a base that I modified for Laythe (original was from online).

hmyCZ43.png

@Cunjo Carl Megarockets are always fun. The largest payload I've delivered to orbit was over 500 tons, in 0.20. That was also the last ship launched for the original project, refueling the colony ship. However, neither ended up in the official save as that was the final post before the project died.

Edited by Windchild
Fixing spelling of Laythe, same as each other post

On 2/6/2017 at 10:57 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Should be running as long as people are having fun adding their lot to the pile. We still haven't heard back from our OP, @Tada though :) . Glad you've got some fun ideas in any case! Good luck with your LP- same name on YT?

Eh... I agree with @DoctorDavinci it sounds spurious. I went ahead and downloaded the file, extracted and rezipped the contents and hosted it on my google repository. Hopefully one of those changes makes McCafee chill out a bit. 

New link: LINKLINKLINKLINK

I'm looking forward to seeing this space plane!

Sweet! These were definitely needed. Welcome to the forums, by the way, @HobbitJack! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Your welcome! I am better at the building aspect of the game and could build you a spacecraft, but to piloting deploying a few relays in bettween planets is my maximum capacity.

That is why I've never landed on the Mun.

Overkill much with your exploration vessels? I love it! The little dinghy looks like a fun ride. Even if you don't send the mothership, definitely send some of those.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:23 PM, HobbitJack said:

Your welcome! I am better at the building aspect of the game and could build you a spacecraft, but to piloting deploying a few relays in bettween planets is my maximum capacity.

That is why I've never landed on the Mun.

I'm right there with you, it took me a long time to learn landing, and the Mun is a surprisingly hard one. You know we don't have any bases yet (orbital, landed or floating). Would you like to try your hand at a small one of those? If you keep it under 45 tons and pop it into LKO with a Sr. docking ring in-line with its COM, I'll haul it out to Laythe. Might be a fun way to stretch your design muscles while staying close to home :) .

Also, for quotes, you can type your reply into the whitespace underneath the quote box. When it's a long quote it doesn't look like it's there, but you can throw in a few carriage returns and it'll open up.

In other news, I tossed together my free-to-use transfer stages this evening and I'll grab a slot on the calendar to launch a few sets into LKO soon. Each one can do 50tons to LLO if you pilot carefully, or 40tons if you pilot like me :lol:. They come joined together in sets of 5, so you can use 1 for 50 tons, 3 for 150tons or 5 for 250 tons (= 40, 120 or 200tons for folks in a hurry). The same launcher also hauls up 5 little refueler ships with 16tons (1440) fuel each, that are quite manueverable and have deorbiting SRBs. The idea is, if you want to top off a small ship (like a space plane) on its way out to Laythe, you can just call on one of these little fellows, and then crash them back down to Kerbin. SPACE PROGRAM EFFICIENCY!

big_ship.png

Edit: They're up there! I launched up 3 of the sets of 5. The only oddity to know is that the long-range antenna are bound to action group 1, which may be handy if you wind up out of range of @HobbitJack's network. The 15 little ones are called probes in the tracking station, while the big sets are just called "xfer ship". They're super easy to put up there, so please use them wantonly.

Latest: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=32449404121897084317

123.png

Edited by Cunjo Carl

Which one did you delete? Either way is fine, the Laythe one was more of a boat anyway because of a lack of wings after the re entry disintegration at 4600 m/s, and launching them to LKO is easy and actually what it was designed for! I need to figure out how to fit a heat shield to the design anyway, and changing the whole design for a better mounting for the heat shield would be easier than fitting one on the existing design with the docking port.

edit: almost forgot each had 2 kerbals in them, Jeb and Bill on Laythe, Bob and Val in LKO. All of them revive after a while though.

Edited by 53miner53
Dang it autocorrect!

We have a station! It was designed and launched by @HobbitJack, and I just hauled it out to Laythe. It appears to have one Sr. docking ring (presently occupied by the tug), so perhaps a section with plenty of docking rings would go well next. It looks like most of my LKO tugs were lost to the void, but I put a few more up there, and will probably be making some design improvements and relaunching next week.

For now, here's the current file, and the mission recap:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=22363988612199114035

go_to_laythe_gif.gif

When I get home, I'll build a section that will hold monoprop and have a bunch of sr docking ports, and lift it to orbit for someone to haul to Laythe. It will have an inflatable heat shield docked to the front port as well. I am currently terrible at orbital rendezvous, and I don't think I will have the time today to bring it out to Laythe, so I will leave it at a similar orbit to the tugs.

edit: and I will check on my planes as well. 

Edit 2: apparently McAfee doesn't like tinyUploads. I can't launch it, but I will post a .craft for someone to launch it.

edit 3: Here it is: https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/Docking-Port-Set

Edited by 53miner53

On 2/13/2017 at 10:46 AM, 53miner53 said:

Oh that picture! Maybe it shouldn't be as funny as I think it is, but it totally caught me off guard.

edit: And I'll haul it up in a couple days. Since it's a .craft file, I may add my own section, too.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

9 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Oh that picture! Maybe it shouldn't be as funny as I think it is, but it totally caught me off guard.

edit: And I'll haul it up in a couple days. Since it's a .craft file, I may add my own section, too.

Thanks! The random pictures it adds can be so funny sometimes. It has an inflatable heat shield for aerobreaking if you need it.

I'd Like to help with this. I think I can build a Heavy Equipment Delivery System to carry supplies/kerbals to the surface in large quantities. I might build it in modules to make it easier to transport to Laythe.

Edited by BXWRX
spaces and misspellings.

@BXWRX, Sweet! Hey, anything you'd like to throw at Laythe will be a nice addition to the pile. Here's a repost of the latest file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=22363988612199114035

and here's the calendar: https://teamup.com/ksb741ac350809af50

Just check the calendar to make sure the file's not in use when you're getting started, and put your name in as a reservation whenever you're working. It's how we keep from stepping on eachothers' toes. Also, @53miner53's computer has a thing against tinyupload, so if you know of any other reputable file hosting places that don't require an account to download, it'd do well. I think I'll be using my gmail account to host from here, but not everyone has one of those as an option... Worse comes to worse, just use tinyupload and I'll repost through gmail. Anyway, have fun!

8 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Also, @53miner53's computer has a thing against tinyupload, so if you know of any other reputable file hosting places that don't require an account to download, it'd do well. I think I'll be using my gmail account to host from here, but not everyone has one of those as an option... Worse comes to worse, just use tinyupload and I'll repost through gmail. Anyway, have fun!

I figured out for the community space station that we can post it in a google drive folder and share the folder using link sharing set to allow people with the link to edit the folder. This allows people to post the latest save to the folder instead of using a bunch of different file sharing websites that some people's computers may not like for whatever reason.

Could I design stuff and give you the craft files off of kerbalx, and you guys fly em out where they go? I would but I currently do not posses the skills toget past minimus :(. Stuff I would design and test on either Kerbin, Mun or Minimus:

rovers

planes

small lifters for getting stuff to orbit

landers for the colony ship (hyperedit is my friend when it comes to testing these :P).

random other bibs and bobs for fun.

5 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Could I design stuff and give you the craft files off of kerbalx, and you guys fly em out where they go? I would but I currently do not posses the skills toget past minimus :(. Stuff I would design and test on either Kerbin, Mun or Minimus:

rovers

planes

landers for the colony ship (hyperedit is my friend when it comes to testing these :P).

That's what I am doing so far because of Mcafee's dislike of tinyuploads.

Here is the HEDS-A a OtS (Orbit to Surface) medium lifter. I have landed it on Laythe about 8 times now and once the cargo container is released it can be used for medium range overland flights.

oHdn2WU.png

Ds0RrVD.png

I have built the HEDS-D which would be an StO-OtS and have flown it into orbit one time, but, I will have to build a refueling system because it was running on fumes by the time it got to 80,000 Meters.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:08 AM, nascarlaser1 said:

rovers

planes

For sure! Looks like rovers and landers are in order for the moment. If you add your craft files to the zip, I can get them out to Laythe orbit if you'll take it from there.

@BXWRX Sweet plane! If you toss a copy into the save we can bring a couple along. Alternatively, there's a ludicrous amount of fuel in LKO if you want to use it from the Xfer Stage X probes. No monoprop, though! I like the V-wing tail design visually, but it looks like the standard version might have been more effective?

Along those lines, I mixed up which craft was which, and hauled out a couple copies of everything but the multi-docking-port core @53miner53 made which was the main point of the trip :rolleyes:. I'll get it on the next trip along with my own addition to the station. Even without these, Laythe orbit is starting to get busy!

An open call
If anyone has a craft they'd like hauled out to Laythe orbit, I'd be happy to. Just make sure it can be attached to from the bottom. Fairings aren't necessary because I do vertical launches (*Gasp!*) so the aero forces during launch are fairly gentle. Even things like planes aren't a problem that way. For weight, 40 tons is a cinch, but anything under 250 is possible. Once your payload gets to Laythe, it'll be sitting on a maneuverable tug, but we'll be counting on you to land it, dock it, deploy it, whichever does the job!

The latest file is now in a shareable google folder: LINKLINKLINK. Let's try using this as a repository from here. Thanks to @53miner53 for the suggestion, and we might bug you for help if we can't figure it out!

Latest Haul:

image.png

Edited by Cunjo Carl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.