Project BABYLON: REBOOT!

Tada

30 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

You got it! I've got a lot of things for this weekend. Looking forward to it. Could you send me the name of the vessel so I don't mess it up or forget it? I'm pretty epic at these things!

It's the only non stock craft in the SPH, assuming no one adds something between now and then. I forget the exact name, but I think it's "Mk2 spaceplane mining and refueling center". Something along those lines, at least.

Updated the save file repository, now you can enjoy the:

New Dawns Space Station

UNSAV Hyperion XIII

Juraxxus SSTO, Got from Kerbal X for a build comparison and didn't remove it. 

Save for a strange man called Dave - Get your copy. 

You will need @Jeb federation's files found here in the link - Jeb's Craft, Enjoy.

Peace! :cool: 

@Cunjo Carl You've got your work cut out for you, UNSAV Hyperion XIII is the thing I pm'd you about. Is a colossus. Enjoy :D

Edited by KenjiKrafts
You've got your work cut out for you, Good Luck Lad

22 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

My history of 'Kerbal sized' wreckages on Laythe are definitely a testament to this. Fortunately, I'm up for making some ludicrous-scale lifters, so worse comes to worse I'll just strap HMCS Dooblydoo to twice its weight in deorbiters and landers.... yeah that sounds about right.

Well here is the craft file .... Good Luck :)

https://kerbalx.com/DoctorDavinci/HMCS-Dooblydoo

22 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

You used to work for SPAR!?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away ....... :wink:

Anywho, I am making a few small additions to the Can Can ... That would be a small refinery and a couple small drills so that you can roll up out of the water on the landing gear and refuel :cool:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

She floats, she flies, she survives atmospheric entry, can mine and refine fuel herself as well as being able to serve a secondary role as a fuel depot ... I now present for your approval, the CANUKWorks Can Can 177

Room for 14 Kerbals (I may add a couple command lawn chairs and maybe a fishing rod or two)
Full Science Package
4 Large Drills
2 Large Converters
Massive Fuel Capacity
3 Goliath Turbofan Engines
Red Lights
Takeoff Speed: 88 meters per second :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

18 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

She floats, she flies, she survives atmospheric entry, can mine and refine fuel herself as well as being able to serve a secondary role as a fuel depot ... I now present for your approval, the CANUKWorks Can Can 177

Room for 14 Kerbals (I may add a couple command lawn chairs and maybe a fishing rod or two)
Full Science Package
4 Large Drills
2 Large Converters
Massive Fuel Capacity
Red Lights

Pretty darn spicy actually, Would love to see this implemented, While it's not huge it's also really useful :cool: 

Cya :D 

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Full Science Package
4 Large Drills
2 Large Converters
Massive Fuel Capacity
Red Lights

That thing is awesome @DoctorDavinci! How much cargo can it haul? Oops got my comment in the quote somehow

Edited by Jeb federation

21 minutes ago, KenjiKrafts said:

Doubt it, give it a go however :cool: 

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I'm trying to build an SSTO version of my space shuttle for the Laythe mission near the end. Since it has a huge cargo bay, which I could switch out for more passenger cabins, I figured once I finish it, I could launch it here for testing and a passenger/cargo SSTO at Laythe.

2 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I'm trying to build an SSTO version of my space shuttle for the Laythe mission near the end. Since it has a huge cargo bay, which I could switch out for more passenger cabins, I figured once I finish it, I could launch it here for testing and a passenger/cargo SSTO at Laythe.

If it can land and take off on water I don't see why it wouldn't work

If it needs to take off from the ground you might have some problems as there ain't much land on Laythe, let alone places that are long and flat enough to take off

52 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

If it can land and take off on water I don't see why it wouldn't work

If it needs to take off from the ground you might have some problems as there ain't much land on Laythe, let alone places that are long and flat enough to take off

The hill the base is on would be perfect for my shuttle, so long as I land facing uphill. It should be maneuverable enough to land facing a certain direction too. I just have to hope I don't have to land in the water.

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Question: would a Kerbin SSTO jet work on Laythe? Specifically one that has a little trouble taking off on Kerbin.

Takeoff on Laythe tends to have very similar requirements to Kerbin. Takeoff speeds tend to be slightly lower (at sea level) or slightly higher on hilltops. There also tends to be shorter stretches for takeoff, but the curved terrain is nice for jumping off. For the SSTO flight requirements the atmosphere is thinner, but orbital velocity is lower, so you wind up coming out a little bit ahead. Generally, if you get it working on Kerbin (or atleast close to), Laythe comes naturally.

Just finished this weeks haul! I'm putting together a post and uploading the files now.

Sent up Hyperion, Mk2 Plane and new dawn. Files are up, but need to finish post later. Have fun!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

24 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Just finished this weeks haul! I'm putting together a post and uploading the files now.

Sent up Hyperion, Mk2 Plane and new dawn. Files are up, but need to finish post later. Have fun!

Thank you very much @Cunjo Carl! :cool: 

Is there a way to +rep accounts? If so you would be #1 for a +rep! :D 

@KenjiKrafts Happy to be of service! Have fun with that leviathan of a ship cruising the oceans of Laythe. It doesn't have any landing stage on it, but it should have just about enough fuel to power all the way down. I've left it in a slanted orbit in case there was a certain latitude/island you wanted to land near. I turned on autostruts for a couple of the central parts on the bow end. They should be far enough away from eachother to prevent wiggles on the way down, but you will almost definitely want to turn them off shortly after landing. New Dawns (the MPL/ISRU station) is in equatorial LLO, and is a little short on electricity... Some of the yet-unused station parts launched up earlier on have loads of batteries, so you could always dock one of those on if needs be. Cool ships! I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

@53miner53 A pair of Mk2 Airplane Fueling stations are in a slanted orbit with small separate deorbitting stages. These thing should bring VTOL to a whole new level. With that many Whiplashes, it could probably nearly crank itself back into orbit! I also resorted to autostruts on a couple of the larger mainline parts, but I don't think they'll cause issue in the long run, even if left on.

@Jeb federation I didn't get to do much more than ogle the dozen or so of your craft that Kenji loaded in (and I merged into the main file), but I'm really excited to bring some of those out to Laythe. I love the utilitarian boxed-and-crated look they have, and it's really cool to see the uses you've made of hinges and airbrakes. I have to admit.... Light post's my favorite. It's.... so.... practical!

So others know what I'm talking about:

babylon_5.gif

It sounded like you thought something might be missing? There's a bunch of your stuff in the main file... Let's see.

Truck
sub
Mobile suface scanning transmitter
Heavy Surface Harvester
mobile ore recovery & processessing plant
light post
Heavy crane platform
heavy harvester
D_A_V
Heavy Resource Transport
Laythe lander

Let me know if anything needs adding!

If someone gets in the mood for piloting, Kenji's Com and Scansats are set for deploying. They should have plenty of deltaV to pepper into the nearby moons as well.

also, a compressed gif of today's mission:

Spoiler

Babylon_4.gif

links:

Project Babylon Reboot Save File Repository 
  Calendar.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

7 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

New Dawns (the MPL/ISRU station) is in equatorial LLO, and is a little short on electricity... Some of the yet-unused station parts launched up earlier on have loads of batteries, so you could always dock one of those on if needs be. Cool ships! I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

I did forget to mention it needs a set o' electric modules to clip on to it.

Edited by KenjiKrafts

15 hours ago, HobbitJack said:

I'm Back! Did you know Kerbals can swim?

@HobbitJack And they are apparently made of Styrofoam since they float so well. :D Just don't take them on EVA when your at 800 meters below the surface of the ocean, you'll never get then back into the sub (ask me how I know):sticktongue: 

Thanks for the complement @Cunjo Carl

Edited by Jeb federation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.