Tada

Project BABYLON: REBOOT!

167 posts in this topic

0_0

That is a big rocket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

0_0

That is a big rocket!

Brotoro's lifter aint no featherweight either! It's a nice looking super-heavy lifter you've got going- its low TWR should make it nicely efficient. Mine happens to specialize in being easy for launch. Just press space every couple minutes while it zips on up... or every 20 minutes if I'm lifting 1200 parts of satellite like this time :) Good time for doing dishes! :D 

I hope things have been going well with your other responsibilities. And @Rath, I hope your date was fun?

Wait. I missed the microrefineries! Ak, I guess I'll have another haul sooner than I thought. :wacko:

 

Edited by Cunjo Carl
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Wait. I missed the microrefineries! Ak, I guess I'll have another haul sooner than I thought. :wacko:

I will do it tomorrow,  should be able to kill all the birds with a 600 tonne's of SSTO right? Who needs a stone? xD

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Mine happens to specialize in being easy for launch.

100% sure it is for the size :cool: 

What happened to the Ragnarok?????

@Rath as @Cunjo Carl said, hope that your date was killer :D 

Edited by KenjiKrafts
What happened to the Ragnarok?????
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, KenjiKrafts said:

What happened to the Ragnarok?????

Ragnarok was the huge Monoprop depot, right? It was there when I had the file this morning. I'll put it in the repository as a separate craft file.

Edit: It's in there now. Just making sure... are you pulling up the 3-18-17 Project Babylon Reboot file?

Edit edit: Waaait a minute. I thought you said you were more for building than piloting. A 600 tonner of an SSTO sounds like some pretty fancy flying to me! I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Ragnarok was the huge Monoprop depot, right? It was there when I had the file this morning. I'll put it in the repository as a separate craft file.

Edit: It's in there now. Just making sure... are you pulling up the 3-18-17 Project Babylon Reboot file?

Edit edit: Waaait a minute. I thought you said you were more for building than piloting. A 600 tonner of an SSTO sounds like some pretty fancy flying to me! I'm looking forward to seeing this.

I have a mate who has been a SPH pilot from Version 0.6 so he's well experienced in the  flight of large craft :cool: 

A real flying ace, And SSTO's are easy to fly xD

Edit: I regret bringing the Ragnarok up now due to the decision to pull it from LKO and destroy it, its completely useless as we need Liquid+Oxidizer fuels not mono-prop :/ 

Edited by KenjiKrafts
Pulling Ragnarok out of LKO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone needs me to launch extra fuel to LKO to refuel something, Columbia is perfect for the job. I could bring 2 Rockomax 64 tanks up easily, and it has a large internal fuel store of LF+O and monoprop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

I have a mate who has been a SPH pilot from Version 0.6 so he's well experienced in the  flight of large craft :cool: 

A real flying ace, And SSTO's are easy to fly xD

Edit: I regret bringing the Ragnarok up now due to the decision to pull it from LKO and destroy it, its completely useless as we need Liquid+Oxidizer fuels not mono-prop :/ 

 

That thought struck me at first too, but on second glance I actually thought it was pretty cool. We have a few hundred tons of LF+O hanging out in LKO already, and those creamcicle orange monoprop tanks made it look neat. With it we could do _all_ the maneuvering.

 

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

If anyone needs me to launch extra fuel to LKO to refuel something, Columbia is perfect for the job. I could bring 2 Rockomax 64 tanks up easily, and it has a large internal fuel store of LF+O and monoprop.

 

Sweet, looks like we have a fuel pipeline now. Pics?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heaviest payload to date: 168 ton fuel pod.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmM1VCZ3NFYjBVZ3c

STS 3 from the STS challenge thread:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmek44ZkJ4QzNXb2c

these pictures are a little outdated, but they show the capabilities of the shuttle well. They show the LR shuttle, which has extra LF to increase the range. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

That thought struck me at first too, but on second glance I actually thought it was pretty cool. We have a few hundred tons of LF+O hanging out in LKO already, and those creamcicle orange monoprop tanks made it look neat. With it we could do _all_ the maneuvering.

I will leave it then :D 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Good news everyone! *no that's not a Futurama quote xD*

The UNSAV Hyperion is ready to set sail! 

I don't have the foggiest on how to get it to Laythe, but here's it on Kerbin just outside KSC  :cool: 

PICS and GIFS! 

Stationed at KSChttps://gyazo.com/e3df9ad8a62ea229d8c96682067ed603

"Deployed" - https://gyazo.com/49929eeda9c11f08b51c43a7eeb1de37

One for Good Luck - https://gyazo.com/9af289bc4c94cd331b152e72d1012a3d

Edited by KenjiKrafts
Better Pics, you don't need to know I play League O' Legends xD
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when you get it to Laythe, can you rescue Jeb and Bill? They're in what's left of my first Airplane 1.0.1 Space in the oceans of Laythe. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KenjiKrafts said:

I don't have the foggiest on how to get it to Laythe, but here's it on Kerbin just outside KSC  :cool: 

Hmm. I don't think I can see the back in any of your pictures, but it might be possible to radially mount two of them on the base of a rather large booster, and then have the bottom section of the booster contain fuel for nuclear engines, which would be mounted on the boats (on decouplers if you'd like). As for heat shielding, if you can get them to LLO I think a single inflatable heat shield on the back end (for drag, not actual heat shielding) should be sufficient if the craft is empty upon landing (you could use the fuel inside it for the nukes). Oh, yeah, and you also probably need parachutes.

This is somewhat similar to how I launched my Laythe-Vall SSTO's.

V6Jjgtr.png

K1JKgnr.png

Just for inspiration.

 

 

7 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

when you get it to Laythe, can you rescue Jeb and Bill? They're in what's left of my first Airplane 1.0.1 Space in the oceans of Laythe. 

I really need to take my turn soon, but stuff is getting in the way! (And today was the last day of Spring Break. GRR.) If the boats do not get there soon enough and you are feeling adventurous, you can (quicksave first) take one of the SSTO's and attempt a water landing near the plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing works out for Jeb and Val this week, my haul next weekend will have a handful of terrestrial planes, atleast one of which should usable as a seaplane. It's about time I actually land something on that planet!

My plan for reentry- chemical rockets (my answer for everything.) For planes on Laythe though they're actually not too inefficient for the job.

@Ultimate Steve I realize now that the second picture is staging, but it totally looked like RUD at first glance. Definately gave me a grin.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say it, but school is finally getting ahead of me. I probably won't be able to help until summer, and even then, I probably won't be able to play.

 

Sincerely,

HobbitJack

-One does not simply get an A+-

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can play soon. And get an A+

Edited by 53miner53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for joining us while you had time- best of luck in your studies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the meantime, try using my Laythe Lander. It SHOULD be saved in the file, I tried it out and it works pretty good.

 

So long, Farewell, Alfeterzen goodbye!

 

(Yes, I am a fan of that movie!)

I PROMISE I will come back ASAP.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cunjo Carl - Did you guys still want/need a science exploration vessel?

I now present the CANUKWorks Can Can ... Still testing but it floats, it flies, survives atmospheric re-entry and has all the comforts a Kerbal could ask for except the fishing rod :wink:

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@DoctorDavinci

Nice fakeout with the landing gear in the video :lol:. I have no idea what you hit at the end, was it a sandbar?

An amphibious flier would be an awesome addition, and I like the look! Conveniently, it seems like it's just small enough for my present heavy lifter to drag out there without major modifications.

If you're still in design, could I ask for a couple additions? (give a mouse a cookie :) ) We could definitely use a couple refuel ports, perhaps by the water line. Also, ladders! And finally, though I suspect it comes standard, the trademark red lights would be capital.

Oh, and while you're here, I remember you posting the HMCS Dooblydoo a while back, would you mind passing along its file? Either as a link or right into the save repository as a craft file will be easy (I think you click "new" on the top left for the repository). I still remember the cool little bayou boat it caries around, we definitely need to launch a set of them out to Laythe.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

@DoctorDavinci

Nice fakeout with the landing gear in the video :lol:. I have no idea what you hit at the end, was it a sandbar?

Yeah, I drove right into the shallows and hit the surface below the water before I hit 88m/s :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

An amphibious flier would be an awesome addition, and I like the look! Conveniently, it seems like it's just small enough for my present heavy lifter to drag out there without major modifications.

If you're still in design, could I ask for a couple additions? (give a mouse a cookie :) ) We could definitely use a couple refuel ports, perhaps by the water line. Also, ladders! And finally, though I suspect it comes standard, the trademark red lights would be capital.

Ladders: check

Red Lights: check

Refueling ports: check ... although they aren't at the water line due to the tendancy for the ports to explode on landing in the water. I placed 2 sheided docking ports at the rear of each pontoon (you can see them in the video)

There is also a complete science package onboard

11 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Oh, and while you're here, I remember you posting the HMCS Dooblydoo a while back, would you mind passing along its file? Either as a link or right into the save repository as a craft file will be easy (I think you click "new" on the top left for the repository). I still remember the cool little bayou boat it caries around, we definitely need to launch a set of them out to Laythe.

I can provide the file but I seriously doubt you will succeed in landing the Dooblydoo without it RUDing into a beautiful disaster ... I came up with the Can Can due to myself being unable to get the Dooblydoo to survive entry into Laythe's atmosphere (terribly unbalanced in flight)

Getting it into LKO and to Laythe is not that difficult .... As we would say at SPAR: "We can always get it up ... Getting it back down, now that's where you run into problems"

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HobbitJack said:

In the meantime, try using my Laythe Lander. It SHOULD be saved in the file, I tried it out and it works pretty good.

 

So long, Farewell, Alfeterzen goodbye!

 

(Yes, I am a fan of that movie!)

I PROMISE I will come back ASAP.

It's 'Adieu'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Which file in the drive link is the latest?

edit: I checked the two that were from march 18th, and they were identical. I'm using the one that had the date first.

Edited by 53miner53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

Which file in the drive link is the latest?

edit: I checked the two that were from march 18th, and they were identical. I'm using the one that had the date first.

March 18 would have been me, and I'm not surprised I uploaded two by mistake. The only other person who's been working since then was @KenjiKrafts and I'm pretty sure it wasn't directly in the save file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I hope I had the right one, because I'm uploading the new file now. 

Edit: uploaded in the drive link from before.

What I did: Landed Airplane 1.0.1 space on Laythe.

Docked my station core with the station core that was in LLO, and left both transfer stages docked with the station.

Developed a refueling setup for my spaceplanes. Its ready to be launched to Laythe when you can, @Cunjo Carl

Edited by 53miner53
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

I hope I had the right one, because I'm uploading the new file now. 

Edit: uploaded in the drive link from before.

What I did: Landed Airplane 1.0.1 space on Laythe.

Docked my station core with the station core that was in LLO, and left both transfer stages docked with the station.

Developed a refueling setup for my spaceplanes. Its ready to be launched to Laythe when you can, @Cunjo Carl

You got it! I've got a lot of things for this weekend. Looking forward to it. Could you send me the name of the vessel so I don't mess it up or forget it? I'm pretty epic at these things!

 

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

...

I can provide the file but I seriously doubt you will succeed in landing the Dooblydoo without it RUDing into a beautiful disaster ... I came up with the Can Can due to myself being unable to get the Dooblydoo to survive entry into Laythe's atmosphere (terribly unbalanced in flight)

Getting it into LKO and to Laythe is not that difficult .... As we would say at SPAR: "We can always get it up ... Getting it back down, now that's where you run into problems"

My history of 'Kerbal sized' wreckages on Laythe are definitely a testament to this. Fortunately, I'm up for making some ludicrous-scale lifters, so worse comes to worse I'll just strap HMCS Dooblydoo to twice its weight in deorbiters and landers.... yeah that sounds about right.

...

...

You used to work for SPAR!?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now