Speed Governor Tweakable for wheels

Did a search for this and didn't find it, so apologies if it's already been suggested.

I'd love a tiny quality of life improvement, a tweakable added to wheels to govern the maximum speed, that would reduce power to that wheel if you go above the speed you set.

I love building and driving rovers, but I've lost count of the number that are abandoned due to damaged wheels because I stopped paying attention to my speed on long drives now.

I personally would love to see this implemented into the game.

And maybe if you where carrying a piece of cargo with wheels in an aircraft, after you pressed G, the ~rover~ wheels wouldn't move and you wouldn't have to have the brake always on. (I build aircraft, and use the action groups a lot, ((air-brakes)) so it would be really cool.

+1 

Edited by TheKorbinger

On 2/3/2017 at 3:57 PM, Jimmidii said:

Did a search for this and didn't find it, so apologies if it's already been suggested.

I'd love a tiny quality of life improvement, a tweakable added to wheels to govern the maximum speed, that would reduce power to that wheel if you go above the speed you set.

I love building and driving rovers, but I've lost count of the number that are abandoned due to damaged wheels because I stopped paying attention to my speed on long drives now.

I agree with your suggestion. Until such a feature might arrive, the Mechjeb rover autopilot gives you what you need.

Currently there's Drive Limiter, but it works on max torque, not max speed.

Regardless, the speed governor won't be much help without brakes. When traveling Duna, maintaining speed uphill was easy, It was the down slopes that were dangerous - and the mild ones were most treacherous, because you pay close attention on the steep ones, while on the mild ones you look away, check the map, toggle screens of rasterprop monitor, and suddenly you see you're going 35m/s in a vehicle that simply loves to flip over on smallest bumps when going above 25m/s.

Did someone say dangerous speeds on Duna?

Spoiler

gJnrG0H.jpg

No such thing! Just make sure the only things that can touch the ground are wheels or massive sheets of steel :D

But more seriously, I actually like the idea of throttle control for wheels. Cruise control would be even better, capping out at Xm/s, braking if required.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, eddiew said:

Did someone say dangerous speeds on Duna?

Reveal hidden contents

gJnrG0H.jpg

No such thing! Just make sure the only things that can touch the ground are wheels or massive sheets of steel :D

But more seriously, I actually like the idea of throttle control for wheels. Cruise control would be even better, capping out at Xm/s, braking if required.

There is wheel throttle in settings, you just need an axis for it. But I get ya, keybinds for +/- speed on wheels would go a long way. There isn't something hidden in settings.cfg, is there?

The rover throttle axis can be trimmed in the same way as any input axis, and even if new keys are bound this will still work. However this is not an adequate solution, because the rover will still accelerate out of control downhill and won't maintain a constant speed uphill either (tho at least it won't get out of control this way).

What's needed is a constant-speed governor, to set a fixed wheel-rotation speed and apply torque (accelerating or braking) as required by the terrain. This would make surface travel incredibly safe, but I have to admit kinda boring too. The danger of crashing is part of the excitement, actually crashing is a PITA quickload.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.